Adon

I searched to forum and I didn't find a thread dedicated for this great characther :), when I yesterday read volume 8 from Dark Horse it hit me, are were sure that he is dead?, he didn't get any deadly wounds when fighting with Caska. Wouldn't it be cool if the gang meet him in the city of Vritannis and fought together when the Kushans attack? XD

Rhombaad said:
Casca cut his face in half...how is that not a deadly wound? :schierke:

Nothing Adon wouldn't handle :p

EDIT: and the wound isn't that big: http://img192.imageshack.us/my.php?image=adon8ig.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
docster said:
the wound isn't that big

Yes it is.

Adon-death.jpg

Adon's dead, he's not going to appear out of nowhere in the future. And there's a couple of threads about him and Samson, albeit none about him specifically. He was always in the shadow of his awesome brother. :void:

Thinking about Adon recently, it occurred to me, is he REALLY as incompetent as his reputation indicates? Oh, there's no doubting that Adon is an incredibly base coward (or craven as George R.R. Martin would call him) and that his commander was right to relieve him but it occurs to me that the other Tudor knights might not necessarily be much better.

Really, Griffith is operating from a different playbook than the rest of the Knightly Orders of the day. He's a Julius Caesar figure, or at the very least is a Che type in that he's mastered unconventional fighting. Adon being severely outclassed by him is not really such a damning insult. There's also the fact that Guts is just short of superhuman in his combat skills, meaning that being unable to defeat him isn't much of an insult either.

I tend to note that Adon seems a hair cleverer than most Tudor knights probably were anyway. Really, if he'd bothered to stay and fight at any of the battles, then he would have died. So, refusing to was actually a smart move on his part.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
willowhugger said:
Thinking about Adon recently, it occurred to me, is he REALLY as incompetent as his reputation indicates?

I'd say that he wasn't any more competent or incompetent than other random officers that died in off-screen battles. And he was above average as a fighter, though nothing special beyond that.

willowhugger said:
Really, Griffith is operating from a different playbook than the rest of the Knightly Orders of the day. He's a Julius Caesar figure, or at the very least is a Che type in that he's mastered unconventional fighting. Adon being severely outclassed by him is not really such a damning insult.

Well Griffith and Adon never really opposed each other except for the battle in volume 6 (tactically that is, since they never actually fought one another). The troops faced each other on a plain and then just charged. Nothing particular there aside from the formations the Band of the Falcon used. The first time we meet Adon himself, he only gains advantage over Casca because she's unwell. Despite her and Guts falling down the cliff, his side still loses and he escapes with his tail between his legs. Shortly after, Guts defeats what remained of his men even though they were lying in wait, and Adon flees back to Boscone. The second time, he tries to ambush Casca and her men as they stealthily take over Doldrey, but she kills him in spite of his treacherous ways. That's the extent of his role in the manga. Don't be misguided by the animated TV series' silly deviations.

willowhugger said:
I tend to note that Adon seems a hair cleverer than most Tudor knights probably were anyway. Really, if he'd bothered to stay and fight at any of the battles, then he would have died. So, refusing to was actually a smart move on his part.

I don't think that makes him cleverer, only more of a coward, and a lucky one at that. By escaping the first time he avoided death (at the cost of his men's life, including his own brother), sure, but he lost his honor and risked demotion. He was still alive (although disfigured), but clearly reviled by his superior. And it was all only possible because of the very specific context in the first place, otherwise he'd have died a nameless death like many others.

There is no way he could have survived that blow to the face from Casca. You have to realize a blow to the head is more deadly and a quicker death than even getting an limp chopped off or a deep stomach wound since all that is required is to pierce the skull and your basically dead because even a slight touch from a foreign object on the brain itself cankill it. I'm pretty sure Casca cleaved his face pretty well too if not completely in half.

I thought Adon was an amusing small role character and that is all he was and will be. I am pretty certain he won't appear again. All he was, was an amusing officer that was pitted against Griffiths skirmishes during the golden age. Even if he were to return what would be the point with how things are now? It's been many years since then, the 100 year war is long but over, and Griffith is a God hand now. Many things have changed since then, and if he were alive he would probably be trying to stay alive using his cowardly tactics. If he runs into Gutts or Griffith again what is he going to do? Neither Gutts or Griffth would care about him and he wouldn't even pose any kind of threat especially with Griffiths apostle army and Guts with his new equipment and his friends with floras magical equipment.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
It's come to the point that were analyzing Adon...again?

His cleverness seems to stem more from cowardice and a lack of honor than his being a cunning tactician. If he was so brilliant, why did he give Casca the opportunity to kill him even after he poisoned her? If he had been a little more patient, she wouldn't have been able to stand even!

X

Xem

I don't, not in the least. I actually have to try to read through his parts in the manga.

I will admit though, it makes Guts fucking him up and Casca killing him all the sweeter.

Top Bottom