Episode 260

Faust said:
I think he'd look more like a dark-haired version of this dude.

Miura said in an interview that Guts's face is actually modeled after Rudger Hauer, the psycho android from Blade Runner.

Actually, the look for Guts is based more on Hauer's mercenary character in Paul Verhoeven's medieval cult classic Flesh + Blood. :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
05v17.jpg

Hey guys, does Guts look different than usual in this panel? :carcus:

See, now that's Ben Stiller worthy. Or maybe even Seinfeld, "Did ya ever notice, that Guts' head, looks different in some panels, than it does in other panels!?"

BTW, I bet that preview doesn't look so odd now. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Are you guys ever going to stop about his face? Get over it, hopefully Griffith showed enough sarcasm already. Art evolves, the styles change, and illustrations are always different from one another... Seeing the number of people actually interested in the matter, I made a thread just for it! Don't hesitate to post there for further insightful remarks about Guts' face.

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=4790.0

Faust said:
Miura said in an interview that Guts's face is actually modeled after Rudger Hauer, the psycho android from Blade Runner.

Not really, no...

Kentarou Miura said:
But there wasn't anybody in particular for Guts and Griffith. [...] I wasn't really thinking of anybody at the time I created Guts. But if you're only talking about his looks and not about his personality then I guess Rutger Hauer was the model. I saw him playing a mercenary in a medieval movie, "Flesh & Blood" and I really liked him in that movie. He also played the lead in "Salute of the Jugger." It was an Sci Fi movie, but I thought the character he played was similar to Guts. And the main character from "Highlander" kind of reminds me of Guts. I think it had a lot to do with those cool collected type heroes I admired when I was in college.

Keep in mind he's talking about Guts' general look here, not his face or anything in particular. And that was in 1987 or around that time, the character design has evolved a lot since then, and it wasn't determining even at the time (see Guts in volume 1, doesn't look anything like Hauer)... There's really no point in trying to compare their faces now...

Now, about the episode in itself:

yota821 said:
Now, is that the face he uses as he is about to skewer the tiger, as he is skewering the tiger, or right after he skewers the tiger? Either way, the nobles' reaction will be priceless :beast:.

I think this episode may be the one showing us the real beginning of Vritannis' attack, the title makes me think that numerous enemies will start pouring down the streets (or will already be there, like the familiar), and we might even see more assailants assaulting the ball, reinforcements for the skewered tiger. :guts:

Aazealh said:
I think this episode may be the one showing us the real beginning of Vritannis' attack, the title makes me think that numerous enemies will start pouring down the streets (or will already be there, like the familiar), and we might even see more assailants assaulting the ball, reinforcements for the skewered tiger. :guts:

Wow! And Guts have to take them down all alone?

That pretty exciting, its has been some time since he had his last one man showdown...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucalb said:
I thought he kinda did, in some places. But that's just me.

I don't really see it, but you're free to expose your thoughts further in that Guts' face thread I made. :guts:

Smith said:
Wow! And Guts have to take them down all alone?

I didn't say that Smith, I was merely enunciating possibilities... Remember that Guts is weakened and shouldn't rely on the armor too much, fighting against the whole Kushan army wouldn't be a very good idea in his condition.

Judo

Midlands finest
considering that this town is full of troops of the holy sea, i guess Guts won't be the only one who fights back the Kushans...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I can't wait to see the soldiers' reaction to Guts in combat, especially if The Beast emerges (which I'm hoping it will :beast:).  Wonder if Skully will show up at any point during this confrontation to spout more wisdom to Guts and/or to save his ass :SK: (being injured is going to make this battle interesting). :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Judo said:
considering that this town is full of troops of the holy sea, i guess Guts won't be the only one who fights back the Kushans...

Yeah, not only that, but their goal isn't to save the city, they're supposed to be going to Elfhelm... Considering Sonja's prediction about the town being destroyed, I doubt Guts & co to stay in Vritannis too long.

Rhombaad said:
I can't wait to see the soldiers' reaction to Guts in combat

Haha, well at least the nobles are awestruck when they see him at the ball. :guts:

Anyway, the episode is out. :SK:

Quick & rough summary: After Guts deals with the original tiger in a swift jaw-dropping action, more familiars start assailing the ball and cut short to the nobles' curiosity concerning Guts (Owen included :carcus:). Casca takes refuge near Farnese (haha, how can she say no?), who asks Guts to protect her parents, and Schierke spots the casters controlling the tigers. Serpico goes collect their heads while Guts mangles the familiars, to "check if he's going better".

Next issue on August, 26.
Magnifico.gif

Awesome episode. It's good to see Guts swinging that big ol' sword of his again! I love the nobles expression (or is that Magnifico?) on the bottom right panel of page 08, heh heh.
Thanks for the up Aazealh!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bodhista said:
I love the nobles expression (or is that Magnifico?) on the bottom right panel of page 08, heh heh.

That's Magnifico, yeah (check the filename). :guts: And you're welcome guys. So it seems that Guts is stuck with the Vandimions, I wonder how they're going to get out of this mess.

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
Best part was when it looks like Sir Owen recognises Guts from the band of the hawk days...pg.5 (or does he recognise the sword from when Godo was there...na he's not that old)

So yeah I hardly have time to post here, but Thanks Aazealth for the new episode!

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Abstraction said:
Best part was when it looks like Sir Owen recognises Guts from the band of the hawk days...pg.5 (or does he recognise the sword from when Godo was there...na he's not that old)

So yeah I hardly have time to post here, but Thanks Aazealth for the new episode!

We're getting a bit of fragmentary inner dialogue from Owen, and I'd complete the thought as "That man...where do I know him from?" or "Where have I seen him before?" It's definitely not a question of him recognizing the sword itself. I imagine he didn't spend a lot of time around Guts when he was in action, and so has probably only seen him peripherally...but then, Guts left quite an impression even before the Occultation, so I assume it'll just be a matter of time before Owen connects who he's seeing now with the Guts he's seen before, and from there onto the Band of the Hawk. Question then'll be what's he going to do with the knowledge?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yes. You know Miura is getting ready to deliever the epic goods when he uses three two-page spreads in one episode. Hopefully, just for the sake of getting warmed up. :carcus:

I also appreciate the fact that it got right down to business instead of an extended one on one duel with the lone Tiger.

So, okay, the boss of the Troll Town Zone was the Ogre. The Makara was the boss of the Moon Beach Zone. So, who will Guts have to face at the end of the Tiger Ball Zone? Personally, I want to see Guts fight more ape-like monsters, a little throwback to his Conan heritage, and not too far-fetched I think. =)

And for the record, the tigers are a lot of fun to see get sliced in half. :guts:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
But what about Gut's face?.....

Anyways though, I wonder if Owen and all the others will make it out alive! Also, what about Azan? Is he still wandering around in a drunk stupor?

Ultra-Fricking-Awesome!! :guts: Can't wait for a translation!!

BTW, sorry to bring Gut's face up again, but I just have to say that I found the preview panel much less weird looking in the actual context of the manga than just looking at it by itself. I really can't think how it would make all that much of a difference, but it did. *shrugs*

And 'yay!' about only 2 weeks for the next episode again.

Top Bottom