Episode 260

egg of the king

Mort pour Rien
Though Owen's possible recognition of Guts is quite compelling, I'm also excited to see Serpico demonstrating his prowess with the air elemental cloak. He seems to be mastering it quite well. His help in battles--in terms of jumping in and out, which he now seems capable of doing--will be indispensable. This might prove especially true if some of someone needs saving, either from rabid, Ganishka-toothed familiars or, as we've seen before, Guts himself.

Judo

Midlands finest
Aazealh said:
Yeah, not only that, but their goal isn't to save the city, they're supposed to be going to Elfhelm... Considering Sonja's prediction about the town being destroyed, I doubt Guts & co to stay in Vritannis too long.

I think it will be rather difficult to leave the town once it is in turmoil. And I can hardly see Guts leaving the momentary "stage"(Griff said), before the battle reaches its climax. Now that we have the Vandimion-family involved I doubt that the "Guts-gumi" just will take Farnese and leave as fast as they can.
But otherwise Miura has surprised me countless times, so lets just see what happens.

and btw. thanks for the scans!

I wonder what picture of the town Serpico will get to see on his way to the boat where the spellcasters are hiding. Maybe the attack started all over at once... or maybe the primary target was just the ball by now and the main offense will take a few more episodes to start.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Anyways though, I wonder if Owen and all the others will make it out alive! Also, what about Azan? Is he still wandering around in a drunk stupor?

I don't expect Owen to die, no matter what happens, we'll need him in 20 volumes to see the dark side of Griffith's reign. :carcus: After Serpico neutralizes the casters conjuring the tigers at the ball, I think the nobles may have an opportunity to escape the attack momentarily and rally their armies.

As for Azan... We'll probably see him around crushing Kushan skulls in a few episodes. :guts:

krumm47 said:
sorry to bring Gut's face up again, but I just have to say that I found the preview panel much less weird looking in the actual context of the manga than just looking at it by itself.

That's normal, don't worry.

egg of the king said:
I'm also excited to see Serpico demonstrating his prowess with the air elemental cloak. He seems to be mastering it quite well. His help in battles--in terms of jumping in and out, which he now seems capable of doing--will be indispensable.

Well, he was already doing that before. ^^; It seems to be his standard now, it's true, but it's nothing really new since the fight on the beach. :serpico:

Judo said:
I think it will be rather difficult to leave the town once it is in turmoil. And I can hardly see Guts leaving the momentary "stage"(Griff said), before the battle reaches its climax.

So, you see him defeating the whole Kushan army? Because he was willing to leave as soon as possible in this episode, he stayed because Farnese and Schierke insisted. In his current state, I don't think that facing so many enemies would be such a good idea...

Judo said:
Now that we have the Vandimion-family involved I doubt that the "Guts-gumi" just will take Farnese and leave as fast as they can.

Still, do you see them fighting to protect the town against all the Kushan troops? From Sonja's prediction, Vritannis will be burned to the ground, so given the context, I'm more in favor of the "escape" kind of scenario. Of course I've got no real clue concerning Miura's intentions so... What will happen might very well be the exact opposite. :SK:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The epic battle has begun and what a way to start!  Thanks for the episode, Aaz and GoHF!  Aside from the incredible cleaving of the Familiars, I'd have to say what made this episode great for me was getting to see the reactions of the nobility (especially Magnifico and Mama Vandimion) to the havoc wreaked by Guts.  I'm really hoping we'll have an upcoming episode with Serpico's little adventure so we can see what he's capable of facing without Guts backing him up :serpico: (I'm mainly referring to Serp trying to take care of the Makara by his lonesome).  Wow, thank God the next episode is only two weeks away. :beast:

My favorite panel of this episode.
guts.jpg

Judo

Midlands finest
Aazealh said:
So, you see him defeating the whole Kushan army? From Sonja's prediction, Vritannis will be burned to the ground, so given the context, I'm more in favor of the "escape" kind of scenario.

I was thinking more of a scenario where they are somehow forced to stay and not fighting back the Kushans out of heroic intentions or something like that.

Or mabe the Neo-Hawks will appear when everything almost seems lost and wipe the Kushan-attack out. What better place to pull a big promotion-gig than a town full of nobleman of the different countries of the holy sea?
And if griffith really shows up, I think Guts will think twice about his quick leave.
Well.... but thats very far stretched speculation.

Thanks for the scans Aazealh ^_^

Just cut the tiger in half, XDD
Owen seems to recognize Guts.........if i remember correctly we only know for sure that Owen saw Guts once at the ball after the 100 war ended, maybe he is just asking himself howcome that man can wield such a huge sword XDDD

*Nox waits for the translation patiently*

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Judo said:
I was thinking more of a scenario where they are somehow forced to stay and not fighting back the Kushans out of heroic intentions or something like that.

Yeah, I can see something like that happening, actually I've considered a lot of scenarios... :SK: Like maybe they'll only board a ship in the morning and struggle to evade the troops until then (with a few obligatory skirmishes).

Judo said:
Or mabe the Neo-Hawks will appear when everything almost seems lost and wipe the Kushan-attack out. What better place to pull a big promotion-gig than a town full of nobleman of the different countries of the holy sea?

I'm thinking about a late appearance, after the battle to be precise. Vritannis destroyed, the Kushans think they're victorious, and then the Hawks arrive and engage them...

Nox said:
*Nox waits for the translation patiently*

No need to wait. :puck:

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=4792.0

Thanks Aazealh for the current episode.

As everyone here, i was amazed by this episode. I like the reaction of nobles in seeing the strenght of Guts. Really nice!
I' m waiting the following episodes with impatience. And fot the face of Guts, I like him more . Yeah, wa see him grow old and this is positive.

OMG Meats flying all around... Guts may have to face more monster this time...

Oh wait i remember the last page of chapter 257 if i remember correctly, there was this huge monster? Was it the tiger or it was something else which is the so called "Boss" which Guts have to face in the end?

On btw... Griffith you forgot that the boss of the Apostle raiding zone was our dear Grunbeld...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Oh wait i remember the last page of chapter 257 if i remember correctly, there was this huge monster? Was it the tiger or it was something else

It was the tiger, Smith...

Smith said:
On btw... Griffith you forgot that the boss of the Apostle raid party time was our dear Grunbeld...

What would he do without you! :guts:

"Griffith No More!" said:
So, okay, the boss of the Troll Town Zone was the Ogre. The Makara was the boss of the Moon Beach Zone. So, who will Guts have to face at the end of the Tiger Ball Zone? Personally, I want to see Guts fight more ape-like monsters, a little throwback to his Conan heritage, and not too far-fetched I think. =)

Giant apes make everything better. :D

GoHF

I'm a llama!
Well, I have one observation to make. While reading the later episodes of Berserk, it seems at times that Miura is straying from the real gory feel that Berserk had post (and even pre-)eclypse. Well, it's just a little detail, but when Guts slices the tiger, you can see blood going everywhere. However, when it's done, there's no blood anywhere except the sword. I think you'd expect some blood on his armor, face or even the bandages he has on his arm. It's nigh impossible to slice a living tiger in half and not get some blood on your face. If you recall the lost children arc, Guts had... guts and blood all over him. I think those bits of gore gave the manga some of its flavor. Anyone else out there share my opinion? Maybe I'm mistaken, but then again taking out the sword and the moments things get sliced, there seems to be no blood anywhere (nobles' clothing or skin, curtains, furniture, whatever). You can't see the floor because of the "fog", so I guess that's where most of the blood is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GoHF said:
While reading the later episodes of Berserk, it seems at times that Miura is straying from the real gory feel that Berserk had post (and even pre-)eclypse.

Haha, really? I'd like you to point out to me all these really gory moments. I'm sure that once you start searching for them, you'll find that there aren't that many, and that the recent volumes aren't lacking that much. :beast:

GoHF said:
Well, it's just a little detail, but when Guts slices the tiger, you can see blood going everywhere. However, when it's done, there's no blood anywhere except the sword. I think you'd expect some blood on his armor, face or even the bandages he has on his arm.

Well, you clearly see that the blood goes in the direction of the slash, so not toward Guts, and some appears to get on his cloak from behind. I'm just judging from what Miura drew. Now, I'd like to point out the fact that Miura does this often, and since Berserk's beginning. The same applies to the Snake Baron, to the Snail Count, to the "Boar apostle" at Godot's place, to the "evil tree", to Mozgus' disciples, to Kushan soldiers, to heretics, to familiars on the beach, and even the Makara at first (just get splashed with some droplets, after that he jumps in and gets wholly covered in blood), etc.

Guts has no blood on him for most of the Retribution arc, he gets some from his own wounds near the end of his fight against Mozgus, but it's quickly gone and very light. He gets some blood on his face from his own wounds, again, when fighting Rochine's guardians, but it's once more nothing extraordinary. His face is as bloody then as it is after his use of the Berserk's armor (volume 27). Add to this the fact that Guts seemed to be concentrating in order to deliver a clean cut against the tiger, and I think you'll understand why I fail to see your point.

GoHF said:
It's nigh impossible to slice a living tiger in half and not get some blood on your face.

So, you ever saw a demon tiger get cut in half by a swordsman like Guts? Because you sure seem to know a lot about it. :carcus: I'm not saying what's possible and what isn't, don't be mistaken, just that what we're shown doesn't seem overly unrealistic to me (especially compared to what we've seen in the past).

GoHF said:
If you recall the lost children arc, Guts had... guts and blood all over him.

Guts has blood on his face in less than 20 pages in volume 15 (I didn't count precisely, but you can check). It's mostly during the fight against the Guardians, and it's from his own wounds. It's also just a bit of blood, he's not covered in gore. As far as their blood goes, it's the same that for our friend the tiger familiar. So yeah, during the fight against Rochine he gets blood and entrails all over, but that's a small portion of the Lost Children chapter.

GoHF said:
I think those bits of gore gave the manga some of its flavor. Anyone else out there share my opinion?

I've personally never really cared about the gore. I don't think it adds anything to the manga, it's just a realistic detail to me.

GoHF said:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but then again taking out the sword and the moments things get sliced, there seems to be no blood anywhere (nobles' clothing or skin, curtains, furniture, whatever).

You see blood on the nobles' clothes in 259, but since the ones that get splashed with blood also die, I'd expect them to be all lying on the floor in their bloody clothes. Plus they're numerous, the bloodied ones may be out of sight (easy way out). Otherwise the floor is covered in blood, I think we agree on this.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
GoHF said:
Well, I have one observation to make. While reading the later episodes of Berserk, it seems at times that Miura is straying from the real gory feel that Berserk had post (and even pre-)eclypse. Well, it's just a little detail, but when Guts slices the tiger, you can see blood going everywhere. However, when it's done, there's no blood anywhere except the sword. I think you'd expect some blood on his armor, face or even the bandages he has on his arm. It's nigh impossible to slice a living tiger in half and not get some blood on your face. If you recall the lost children arc, Guts had... guts and blood all over him. I think those bits of gore gave the manga some of its flavor. Anyone else out there share my opinion? Maybe I'm mistaken, but then again taking out the sword and the moments things get sliced, there seems to be no blood anywhere (nobles' clothing or skin, curtains, furniture, whatever). You can't see the floor because of the "fog", so I guess that's where most of the blood is.

Sorry, sounds like another case of, "Guts head/nose/package looks funny to me. ???"

Do you count Guts going inside a monster whale, killing it from the inside, and literally tearing his way out through it's hide "mouth" first, covered in it's blood and guts, while spraying his own blood out of his armor, as gory? Did ya catch that? Oh wait, that was almost two volumes ago, okay...

Did you catch the last episode with all the noble guts hanging out of the Tiger's mouth, the dismembered corpses, the women covered in the blood of their friends? Now that I think of it, this episode is full of glorified, and quite artistic, gore shots (the last page for example) too. Right up there with the "best" of them. I mean, do the guts have to be ON Guts for it to count as "charming"? Would you only buy a Berserk statue if it was splattered with red paint? =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
GoHF said:

So if I get this right, you want more blood?

A vertical cut through a 6-10 foot cat through bone, muscle, flesh - the sheer pressure of which causes the eyes to pop out of their sockets and the intestines to spew out isn't enough??

Kagami

Goo!
when the gore gets too excessive, sometimes it turns me off from Berserk. Don't need to see jaws and eyeballs flying around every time someone gets iced. Oh well, best manga out there, so whatever!

"Griffith No More!" said:
*Toasts GoHF's ass*

Nice :guts:

Seriously GoHF, everything seems like it's the usual bloody fight that Guts always gets himself into.

Kagami said:
when the gore gets too excessive, sometimes it turns me off from Berserk. Don't need to see jaws and eyeballs flying around every time someone gets iced. Oh well, best manga out there, so whatever!

The gore for the most part is excessive. It's part of what makes the series great. It also helps make it dark.

Graphic Violence + Dark Tale + Great Character Development = Berserk

Top Bottom