BERSERK's TCG question!?

Well, I periodically visit the Official TCG's website, to see the new Original Illustrations, and the Pick Up Cards, and I have a question, for people that have some knowledge of Japanese.

Here: http://www.konami.jp/th/card/berserk/list/top.html, it is said that the last Pick Up Card is the #9 from Volume 1, but as far as I know, the first #9 of Volume 1 was representing Griffith. And this Card was supposed to be #15...

So, is there any explanation on the website?  :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's a promotional card, not a regular one, that's why the numbering is different. Notice the "NOT FOR SALE" on the card. It's also stated in the informations on the site (プロモーションカード仕様).

Aazealh said:
It's a promotional card, not a regular one, that's why the numbering is different. Notice the "NOT FOR SALE" on the card. It's also stated in the informations on the site (プロモーションカード仕様).

OK, thanks for the info!  :guts:

However, not to sound bothering, but... I don't think it's very clear what those promotional cards are, what's the real interest if it's the same as previously, only their order and numbering change... That's what I don't understand... Even the strength (Range, ...) are the same...

By the way, you got pretty good eyes, I hadn't even see the "NOT FOR SALE" line!!!... :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
However, not to sound bothering, but... I don't think it's very clear what those promotional cards are

They're cards handed for free at special events and in other various occasions in order to promote the game. That's why they're differentiated from regular cards. I myself have a few.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I really like the artwork on the cards, but does EVERY anime or manga need a card game to become mainstream? :chomp:
the idea is kinda silly

Aazealh said:
They're cards handed for free at special events and in other various occasions in order to promote the game. That's why they're differentiated from regular cards. I myself have a few.

OK, now that's clearer, but if you'll allow me, I have another (the last?!... :schierke:) question: they say the one actually on Konami's website is #9 out of 160, so there are 160 promotional Cards but not all from Volume 1? These Cards are a mix of all 5 Volumes of the TCG, right?

And since they are probably distributed in events occuring in Japan, how did you manage to get some of them???... :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I really like the artwork on the cards, but does EVERY anime or manga need a card game to become mainstream?

I don't give a damn about other series, and I'm not interested in Berserk becoming mainstream, but I like the Berserk TCG. More than most other collectibles. :SK:

asmer said:
they say the one actually on Konami's website is #9 out of 160, so there are 160 promotional Cards but not all from Volume 1?

No, they just keep the corresponding BK number of total cards, but I don't think that they actually made 160 promotional cards. Also the cards aren't only from BK1, and cards from BK3 stay in BK3, it's kept accordingly to their original volume.

Apart from these, there's a special BKYA1 containing one 100% original Guts card, not available in the normal volumes (it was exclusively released in Young Animal, obviously). Here it is:

YABK1.jpg

asmer said:
And since they are probably distributed in events occuring in Japan, how did you manage to get some of them???...

Konami included some as bonuses in the first set of booster packs of volume 3, 4 and 5. There are several other ways to get some anyway, as this is a trading card game...

Aazealh said:
No, they just keep the corresponding BK number of total cards, but I don't think that they actually made 160 promotional cards. Also the cards aren't only from BK1, and cards from BK3 stay in BK3, it's kept accordingly to their original volume.

OK, now I think it's clear, thanks for your help!  :guts:

Aazealh said:
There are several other ways to get some anyway, as this is a trading card game...

Sounds quite logical... :-[

This may be alittle off topic, but I saw no reason to create a new thread;

Does anyone know where I can get scans of the cards, as complete a collection as possible? I have checked this and other forums and all the links to such things are now dead, can anyone help me out here?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Thomas, welcome to SK.net.

ThomasTyndan said:
Does anyone know where I can get scans of the cards, as complete a collection as possible? I have checked this and other forums and all the links to such things are now dead, can anyone help me out here?

If you want to see artwork from the TCG, Konami's Official Site features a nice collection of Miura's original illustrations. They also have a "Pick Up Card" section where common cards are detailed.

You can also check our avatar gallery, it contains a lot of art from the cards. However, if you're really after full scans of all the cards, I'd advise you to just buy them (more convenient, rewarding and you support the author). Hope my reply helped you a bit. :serpico:

Actually I have some on the way, or at least I hope I do, but even so with such a large number of cards and no guarentee that I will get them all I would like to have something of them all, thats why I wanted the most complete list I could find.

Another question here...
Maybe there isn't a particular reason, but Konami's BERSERK TCG website hasn't been updated since September 8th.
Does anybody know why? And if that means there won't be anymore "Volumes" for the TCG.
If anybody has an explanation, just out of curiosity, I'd like to know.
Thanks in advance! :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Maybe there isn't a particular reason, but Konami's BERSERK TCG website hasn't been updated since September 8th. Does anybody know why?

Because there's nothing to write an update about? What other reason could there be that people here would know about? They've already put their ratio of Illustrations for the volume 5 in the gallery, and they were running out of cards for the Pick Up Card section. Now they're just announcing the end of the signature contests, but that doesn't appear in their news section.

asmer said:
And if that means there won't be anymore "Volumes" for the TCG.

Well nothing was announced, and I usually get to know about new volumes way before they come out. So no, there isn't any volume 6 planned for now. I'll post news here if anything changes.

Tirade

Hai Yai, Forces!
I may not have the inside info like Aaz, but I can almost guarantee there will be a Volume 6 for the Berserk TCG.  From what I've seen, both Volume 4 and 5 have sold very well.  Heck, it's rather hard to find boosters for those two volumes.  The concept of super rare cards seems to have caught on in the Berserk TCG community.  Even better, the secret rare cards, first inserted in the Volume 3 boosters, provides more for a person to collect.  If you aren't into the card game, these secret rare cards showcase solid character artwork.

As for promo cards, they can be bothersome to keep track of at times. Fortunately Konami hasn't held any official tournaments as of late (a good portion of the promos originate from tournaments). To date, I count approximately 52 promos for the game. In regards to indentifying them, Aaz said earlier that the promos had "Not for Sale" on the bottom left corner. Another distinguishing feature is the curved blade on the top right hand corner of the card. Instead of a straight blade knife, the promos have a bent dagger.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tirade said:
I may not have the inside info like Aaz, but I can almost guarantee there will be a Volume 6 for the Berserk TCG. From what I've seen, both Volume 4 and 5 have sold very well.

Well, I'm not saying there will never be another volume for the TCG, just that none is planned for now. You also have to keep in mind that the fact previous volumes sold well (we don't know how many were produced BTW) doesn't necessarily mean that others will follow. Konami may have studied the market and noticed a loss of interest that they thought would intensify if they kept releasing more volumes (the release rate was also pretty fast), for example. Besides, they've covered a good part of the series already (even though they left out a lot too), they could prefer to wait for more material to be available before going on.

Let's have a look at the volume releases so far:

TCG Vol. 1 - November 27, 2003
TCG Vol. 2 - March 25, 2004
TCG Vol. 3 - July 22, 2004
TCG Vol. 4 - November 18, 2004
TCG Vol. 5 - March 17, 2005

You'll notice that the releases were constant and roughly 4 months apart from each other. That rhythm is now definitely broken, otherwise Volume 7 would be out already. Like I said, if there's any update I'll post it here (needless to say).

Tirade said:
Fortunately Konami hasn't held any official tournaments as of late (a good portion of the promos originate from tournaments).

I would rather call this unfortunate, since tournaments are a sign of activity, meaning that there is interest in the game and that the company continues to maintain and support it. That lack of events isn't encouraging, especially coupled with the lack of news and announcements.

Tirade said:
Instead of a straight blade knife, the promos have a bent dagger.

Actually, these are respectively a straight sword and a saber, they're just drawn small (there's a mace too as you know). :guts:

Tirade

Hai Yai, Forces!
I more meant it was fortunate for us from a promo standpoint. Has given collectors a chance to catch our breath. Naturally it's disappointing to see a tournament hasn't been held since March.

Aazealh said:
Because there's nothing to write an update about? What other reason could there be that people here would know about?

Well, it's pretty simple, since some people here DO speak japanese, something I wouldn't say of myself, they may have read on the website the reason it wasn't updated since September...
And even if Konami "already put their ratio of Illustrations for the volume 5 in the gallery, and they were running out of cards for the Pick Up Card section", couldn't they just have told it to the audience? It would have been logical... :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tirade said:
I more meant it was fortunate for us from a promo standpoint.

Yeah I know, I was just pointing out that there's a flipside (regrettably).

asmer said:
Well, it's pretty simple, since some people here DO speak japanese, something I wouldn't say of myself, they may have read on the website the reason it wasn't updated since September...

Considering you could check the news, one would assume you would be able to find the rest. There was no reason given anyway, and I don't see why they'd give a reason for not updating the site, that would sort of be an update in itself (besides they have no obligation to justify themselves). It sure would be nice of them to announce it if they planned to discontinue the site, but few companies ever do.

asmer said:
And even if Konami "already put their ratio of Illustrations for the volume 5 in the gallery, and they were running out of cards for the Pick Up Card section", couldn't they just have told it to the audience?

Why the need to tell people? Not adding cards anymore does the job already. Plus that keeps card enthusiasts like you checking their page. Are they even supposed to care? Ask Konami, I'm not in charge of their website.

In any case the lack of updates accompanies the commercial stagnation of the game, so keep your eyes peeled if you're waiting for a new volume, one won't come without the other.

Aazealh said:
and I don't see why they'd give a reason for not updating the site [...] Why the need to tell people? [...] Are they even supposed to care?
Well... It just doesn't sound that logical to me... Usually when a website isn't updated, there is a reason given to the public... If Young Animal decides not to publish BERSERK's episodes, would they just stop like that, or tell people? :schierke:

Aazealh said:
Ask Konami, I'm not in charge of their website.
In fact I wasn't asking YOU, but if someone has an explanation... If you don't, you could just have not answered the question, right? Anyway, I guess I'll wait and see if an update comes one day...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Usually when a website isn't updated, there is a reason given to the public...

No, it rarely happens actually, except in the case of a new update after a period of inactivity. As for what sounds logical or not to you, I'm afraid that's not anybody's concern.

asmer said:
If Young Animal decides not to publish BERSERK's episodes, would they just stop like that, or tell people?

The Berserk Official Corner went down without any explanation for 2 years or so. Then back up without any explanation. There are hundreds of other examples, but I'd like not to have to cite them all.

asmer said:
In fact I wasn't asking YOU, but if someone has an explanation...

Well I'm responding and telling you nobody has (that is logical), besides you were quoting me when you said that. I gave you good enough reasons for the lack of updates too. Now since you obviously have nothing to say, be nice and stop replying. Oh, and you're welcome. :schierke:

Top Bottom