Guts, the lost puppy?

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
I was thinking about a thread here on the front of this section, talking about Guts purpose for leaving the Hawks and Griffith. Now people say it's because he wanted to have his own dream so that he could be Griffith's equal/surpass him but... That seems an awful lot like Guts is just desperate for a friend. Especially after overhearing the conversation with Princess Charlotte (?) he got all fat and depressed (I dont mean that literally). Anyways I know Guts isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but that makes me think of kind of a lost puppy or something the way Guts ran off because he thought it would make Griffith like him more as a friend. What do you guys think? I hate to just say Guts is a moron but it still is easy to point out he's not a poet, artisan, or scholar. He's a WARRIOR!

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Your lost puppy analogy does work for Guts during that time.  I personally think Guts left so he could become more of an equal to Griffith so Griffith could consider Guts as his friend; however, before he could become Griffith's equal he needed to find himself.  All the time he was in the BoTH he followed orders like a good soldier, but Guts hadn't really known what he was besides just a good soldier in the BoTH.  It's like Guts was maturing and realizing that there was more to life than just following orders.  To Guts' credit, it almost seemed like Griffith's dream was within his grasp so it probably was as good a time as any for him to leave and find something for himself, even though that was like the catalyst leading to the eclipse. 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tristram said:
Now people say it's because he wanted to have his own dream so that he could be Griffith's equal/surpass him but...

Nobody said he wanted to surpass Griffith... They weren't rivals or anything like that.

Tristram said:
That seems an awful lot like Guts is just desperate for a friend. [...] that makes me think of kind of a lost puppy or something the way Guts ran off because he thought it would make Griffith like him more as a friend.

Adding to Miyu's reply... He had friends in the BotH, but he realized that spending his life serving Griffith's dream wasn't what he wanted. Griffith's philosophy of life had an impact on him, and so he wanted to find his own reason to live and fight, to get something by and for himself. He was particularly influenced by that night when he overheard the conversation Griffith had with Charlotte.

Everybody was looking up to Griffith, they were all under him, even the nobles, because it's a matter of state of mind. But Guts refused, and he left the Hawks on his free will, not because he thought "Griffith would like him more", but to gain something by himself, and be acknowledged as an equal by Griff, even if his "friends" opposed him. That's Griffith's own philosophy, straight out of his mouth.

All of this is clearly indicated and detailed in the manga, Guts talks about it to various people, and he thought about the events for a long time before taking his decision. You seem to be trying to make Guts look like a total idiot because of his decision, but there's no ground for this at all... That'd really be a simplistic view, and I don't see how you could be confused by these events. Guts was searching for himself at that time, like Miyu said, searching for a goal in his life (that he still hasn't really found).

Tristram said:
I know Guts isn't the sharpest tool in the shed

Oh yeah? And what leads you to this conclusion?

Tristram said:
I hate to just say Guts is a moron but it still is easy to point out he's not a poet, artisan, or scholar. He's a WARRIOR!

Well, you're not any of these yourself, you know. The question is: are you a moron? :schierke:

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Tristram said:
I hate to just say Guts is a moron but it still is easy to point out he's not a poet, artisan, or scholar.  He's a WARRIOR!

I had to post on this because I still don't get why some people think Guts is so stoopid!

I thought it was pretty evident in the manga that Guts has a quick mind for strategy and a quick wit to match.  He has a lot of life experience and has had to use his mind as well as his will and strength to survive as long as he has.  Are we even reading the same manga?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Tristram said:
Anyways I know Guts isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but that makes me think of kind of a lost puppy or something the way Guts ran off because he thought it would make Griffith like him more as a friend. What do you guys think? I hate to just say Guts is a moron but it still is easy to point out he's not a poet, artisan, or scholar. He's a WARRIOR!

Dude goes a little apeshit every now and then and he loses all credibility in the brains department? Not really. Guts remains a multi-faceted and otherwise extremely deep character.

Artist? Guts' art is death. And he's about to paint his masterpeice.

guts_on_fire.jpg

I think that for humans like Guts thinking and using brain isn't important like for rest of us who spend our Brain lives watching the life of someone like him.I don't think he can ever be lost like puppy,because his living is based on Instincts,which are more powerful,truthful. and better than using brain.His instincts are so strong,that his thinkings seem covered with them,that doesn't mean his stupid,simply he has one greater power than brain(Griffith and Serpico,the brain-men,knew to appreciate that).

Top Bottom