Pop Culture References In Berserk

There are some obvious references to modern popular culture, like how the Godhand are inspired by the Cenobites from Hellraiser, Puck's penchant for turning into characters like Yoda and Doraemon, and the title of the current arc being "Millenium Falcon".
:griff: "Punch it, Chewie!" :zodd: "Raarrooo!"

And here are some other ones that I don't think I've seen anyone else mention before:

[DISCLAIMER: I am not serious about any of these, and am well aware of Miura's intentional and unintentional references. This is just for shits and giggles. :D]

-Call me crazy, but I can't be the only one who thought the trolls kind of looked like TV's ALF.

-The Snake Baron = Serpentor from G.I. Joe.

-Guts's inner beast is pretty reminiscent of Spidey's most popular nemesis, Venom.
:beast: "We wanna eat your brains!"

-Schnoz the nose creature looks like he came right out of a Monty Python cartoon.

-The grisly birth of the horrendous baby trolls in Qliphoth is not unlike the chestburster scene in Aliens. I was expecting the little suckers to start tapdancing ala Spaceballs, next.
:troll: "Hello my baby! Hello my honey! Hello my ragtime gal~!"

Alucalb said:
-Guts's inner beast is pretty reminiscent of Spidey's most popular nemesis, Venom.
:beast: "We wanna eat your brains!"

I noticed that one a while ago :p
http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=3328.0

DemonX said:
Gutsvsspidey.gif

XD

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Alucalb said:
-Call me crazy, but I can't be the only one who thought the trolls kind of looked like TV's ALF.
That makes me apreciate their extermination so much more.

I was joking around, anyway. :p Things like "Millennium Falcon" on the other hand... Miura sure as hell didn't pull that one out of thin air.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for failing to see that this was a humorous thread. It's a bit late here... :SK:

Alucalb said:
Things like "Millenium Falcon", on the other hand... Miura sure as hell didn't pull that one out of thin air.

It's Millennium, actually. :casca: And Miura didn't pull it out of thin air indeed, he's a big Star Wars fan (first trilogy only, he thinks the new one is awful). I guess he found the pun appropriate, I think it's a nice and fairly subtle homage myself.

As I said, these have been mentioned in older threads, you might want to run a search about it, there are some interesting things to be found (like how Puck does a lot of references to old Japanese shows, etc).

Aazealh said:
It's Millennium, actually. :casca: And Miura didn't pull it out of thin air indeed, he's a big Star Wars fan (first trilogy only, he thinks the new one is awful). I guess he found the pun appropriate, I think it's a nice and fairly subtle homage myself.

I wouldn't call it subtle, but I guess it makes sense in the context of the story.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucalb said:
I wouldn't call it subtle, but I guess it makes sense in the context of the story.

Yeah, that's what I mean: it fits the context pretty well and doesn't excessively stand out, even if it isn't very hard to get the reference.

I'm somewhat glad their arent too many pop culture references in a dark ages fantasy manga. I mean hell if anyone's read the Hellsing manga they have whole sections on things like Bruce Willis and the Die Hard movies... its really strange.

I think most comics add in lots of pop culture references just to make it more fun.

HawaiianStallion said:
I'm somewhat glad their arent too many pop culture references in a dark ages fantasy manga. I mean hell if anyone's read the Hellsing manga they have whole sections on things like Bruce Willis and the Die Hard movies... its really strange.

I don't think you can really group that with the kind of pop culture references that are made in Berserk, since it was more of an insane vampire's dream sequence (the 'spirit of his gun' appears as Bruce Willis and starts talking to him) and not an anachronism... not as if the trolls actually started dancing with a top hat and cane a la spaceballs :troll:

Top Bottom