How are you guys playing Berserk? (PS2)

CullKnight

My Berserk pudding tastes funny
Mod chip?
Flip Top?
Slide Card?
Japanese PS2?
???
I just got the game, and didn't really take into consideration the whole import booting process. I have a Dreamcast and play import stuff and automatically assumed it was just a disc like the DC. Action Replay has no option?
'preciate it.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I have a mod chip, but I ordered the game around christmas and I still don't have it. NEVER buy anything from BuyRite. I e-mailed them about it and they responded a month later saying that they were checking if it was in stock. They're lame. Sorry for the rant, but they piss me off.

CullKnight

Dont get me started on BuyRite. I ordered Shenmue 2 for the DC from them about 2 years ago never got my game or money. I harrased them for awhile calling them up and just bitching them out. Yeah they suck BALLS.

CullKnight

Are they easy to use? How exactly do you do it? I read that they can screw up the tray mechanism. Any truth to that? I REALLY do not want to put my PS2 guts (no pun intended) in one of those ugly cases. I dont want to take it apart at all.

BiQ_

" ... "
I have euro-PS2 with modchip. Actually, the fact that Berserk came out on PS2 was the final straw that made me get a PS2 with modchip. Also I felt I need to get it quickly before they ban modchips here too. For the record, 100% of my PS2 game collection of three games are legitimate asian imports.

EDIT: To make myself perfectly clear, the chip is soldered and I bought my PS2 brand new with modchip installed from a shop which sells consoles, modchips, modchip installations, nifty converters, 3rd party cables and so on... I wouldn't dare to fiddle around inside of PS2 myself.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey CullKnight, you could search for older threads about the Berserk PS2 game to get that kind of information.

CullKnight said:
Are they easy to use? How exactly do you do it? I read that they can screw up the tray mechanism. Any truth to that?

I've heard of people damaging the CD tray with slide cards, they were probably not careful enough but the facts are that it happens. There's a cheap compromise to slide cards: non-soldering modchips. That's what I use, you buy a special modchip that costs around $20 I think, you install it yourself (not especially troublesome) by simply plugging it inside the PS2, and then you can just use boot CDs relatively easily/conveniently.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
I prefer not to play games when I can't read them but I do have a case mod for my PS2 (the little one). I got it so I could play FFX International (what with its english language option and all)

Dunno where everyone is located. Im in NJ...20 mins away from NYC....i bought myself a mod chip and had it installed in Chinatown...i also purchased the game there as well. The mod chip i have works well and the game never freezes or nething. So IF u live anywhere NYC, I suggest u go there. Plus if u read the manga u can follow the story with relative ease. The only thing that might throw you off if the new character...ugh ive msplaced his name...but yea he's a child apostle who like to play mind games with Gutt's that all u need to know.  :p

Vaxillus

Just a random summary:

Slide Card: easy, cheap, but can posibly damage the tray mechanism. No broken warranty

Mod Chip (soldering): Permanent and if installed correctly will have you playing imports till the end of your days (many include a sleep function for non-import games). Unfortunately, it requires that you break the warranty and be at least decent at soldering. If you screw up, your PS2 is dead.

Mod Chip (no-soldering): Same as above but no hastle with soldering. There's a rumor (again a rumor) that these can short out your PS2. What likely happened, however, is that some shmuck forgot to ground himself before touching the circuit board and then fried it.

JP PS2: For the hardcore/rich gamer. No drawbacks, except the price (I don't know if you need a power converter).

That should be it.

Gluestick

Oh yes Evil Tree.
I bought the no solder modchip a few weeks ago with the magic swap discs I think they were the 3.6 versions and didn't seem to work. I think for a japanese ps2 you would just need a power cord converter or something not entirely sure about that.

SlimJ87D said:
I play it off of a Hard Drive, faster loading times as well.

Do you run HD Loader or some equivalent? I am guessing you have an original copy of the game and then installed it on HD Loader? Is your PS2 US or JPN spec?

Vaxillus

CullKnight said:
Dont get me started on BuyRite. I ordered Shenmue 2 for the DC from them about 2 years ago never got my game or money. I harrased them for awhile calling them up and just bitching them out. Yeah they suck BALLS.
Not trying to steer the topic, but their website appears to have disapeared from the net. I hope they never billed me, because if they did, they'll be eating their ears for dinner.

Besides a Japanese PS2, I think the best way is to just use the swap magic disks with a fliptop.
After getting one of those nice little "slimline" PS2's for Christmas, I was worried the disks wouldn't work. Luckily, the new 3.3 version of Swap Magic is compatible and it also fixes the CD loader problem. I just needed to buy a fliptop and I was in business.

One swap with the DVD boot disk is all it takes.

How would you get one of these fliptops? Can you order them online from some site or something, because I was considering doing this, so I could play imported games...

Vaxillus

Zelz said:
How would you get one of these fliptops? Can you order them online from some site or something, because I was considering doing this, so I could play imported games...
Look up 'mod chips' in just abouyt any search engine. That should do it.

Well, I found a fliptop that has swap magic 3.3 or 3.6 included with it for $39.99, is that a decent deal? Also I found the actual Berserk import game for about 80 bucks, I would just like you guys opinion on good deals/, where to buy from and all....

Vaxillus

Zelz said:
Well, I found a fliptop that has swap magic 3.3 or 3.6 included with it for $39.99, is that a decent deal? Also I found the actual Berserk import game for about 80 bucks, I would just like you guys opinion on good deals/, where to buy from and all....
$80 seems a bit much. Not very experienced with import/modchip stuff, but I've seen the game for much less on many other websites. I found this website http://www.lik-sang.com/, though I have not the money to order from it :'(. Not sure about the credability of the site, but they have good prices and free fast shipping. I'd also warn you against buying anything from Buy Rite, but they died.

CullKnight

Well i ended up going the slide card route. Its cheap as hell, easy as hell, and CHEAP as hell. The game was freaking awesome. Vax i dont know if you know this but BuyRite FINALLY got shut fuck down.
http://www.bbbenc.org/commonreport.html?bid=19394
Now i will never get my money :D. I hope you got whatever it was you got from them.

Berserk PS2 game... Should I?

I'm thinking of buying the Ps2 game of Berserk video game (Import), so I need a mod chip and I asked around it's $55 for the Modchip and total $125 for the installation.

My question is, do you think it's worthy to get a modchip installed in our PS2 just for the Berserk PS2 game?? Would use the modchip for anything else but Berserk?

Top Bottom