Animated Conan Feature

For my fellow Conan Of Cimmeria fans -

Sworplay Entertainment, which consists of writers and producers of classic 90's cartoons like Batman, Spawn and Gargoyles, are hard at work on a direct-to-DVD animated film based on the story "Red Nails" by seminal author Robert E. Howard.

http://www.swordplayfilms.com/conan_animated.html
http://www.conanrednails.com/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a big Conan fan, but i just can't get excited about this. Why won't Arnold come back for King Conan...? :judo:

Well, he's too busy governing California to crush his enemies and see them driven before him. :p

Also, this movie will be sticking to the books. Conan is supposed to be of an ancient, Celtic race, so a Teutonic accent wouldn't be very fitting.

Yeah I've got to agree with Walter on this one. While this sounds interesting, even promising, I'm just not feeling it like I should. I'm far more excited for the incredibly good looking and interesting MMO Conan action game that visually is incredible and also looks to do a lot of new stuff with gameplay for MMO games (note its not an RPG, its an action game).

Not only that, but I just cant think of anything coming close to the original Conan movie, Conan the Barbarian. That movie was pretty much one of the best sword and socery movies that's been made in the last 25 years, sure its not totally accurate to the original novels, but damn was it pretty faithful and unlike many book to movies, did enough that was differen to make it good on screen. Oh not to mention the score for that movie was excellent and should have won an Academy Award over most of the stuff nominated that year, hell other movies and media are still using several of Basil P's songs for their own stuff (Gladiator and the New Zelda game for example).

What's more important, being Gov of the state of California, or hacking and slashing your way through tons of people?

I really liked the first Conan movie, too. But after the god-awful Conan The Destroyer and it's cousin Red Sonja, I think a fresh start is in order for the franchise, ala Batman Begins.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
What I was trying to emphasize is that the combat and gameplay isnt the generic cliche RPG's of old, pretty much every MMO game except for a few exceptions.

Yeah, their "Real Combat" system should make fights more dynamic than the usual turn-based games. I'd still wait to see it working before making any judgement, though.

Well I'm putting my faith in the MMO experience on Huxley and Age of Conan. Both of which look to try something new and look great doing it. I mean hell have you people seen Huxley? It is an MMOFPS running the Unreal 3 engine. Hot damn!

But back on topic, from what I've heard the King of Conan script was getting a bunch of good reviews and the movie is still in limbo as I think they're pondering whether to go for a new take on it (ugh HHH was mentioned as Conan...) or waiting for Arnold to finish his run of Gov and keeping Milius on board.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
(ugh HHH was mentioned as Conan...) or waiting for Arnold to finish his run of Gov and keeping Milius on board.
Howard Hughes? :SK: Seriously, who?

Well after Arnold was made Gov of California, the owners of the film (I think its WB), took the project away from Milius and the like who were waiting for Arnold to be done with politics to film it, and were going to pretty much dumb it down to what most crap released today is. I even remember reading that they wanted to make it more hip and I was just like "UGH!".

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
Well I'm putting my faith in the MMO experience on Huxley and Age of Conan. Both of which look to try something new and look great doing it.

Hehe, well trying isn't always enough, I'm sure you know that, especially in the MMO market with its large amount of titles these days. I'd like Age of Conan to be a hit nevertheless, since the game system looks interesting to me.

HawaiianStallion said:
Well after Arnold was made Gov of California, the owners of the film (I think its WB), took the project away from Milius and the like who were waiting for Arnold to be done with politics to film it, and were going to pretty much dumb it down to what most crap released today is. I even remember reading that they wanted to make it more hip and I was just like "UGH!".

That's why I'm looking forward to these animated movies. Like with Berserk, this shit's easier to pull off with animation, and it's not as hard to find the right voice for the hero as it is to find somebody to don the trademark fuzzy loincloth.

The owner of my local comic shop told me they were going to make a new movie.. with a wrestler as Conan. Let sleeping dogs lie, read the new comic, it satisfies the Conan need.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bacongod said:
The owner of my local comic shop told me they were going to make a new movie.. with a wrestler as Conan.

That would be The Rock I guess. He was supposed to play Conan's son in the King Conan movie that didn't happen because of Arnold's election as Governor. There may be more to it though, I'm not following the issue very closely (not at all).

There already was a Conan cartoon. Conan's village was turned to stone by some evil snake-guy, whose armies could only be hurt by 'star-metal' . He had this tiny phoenix sidekick, some acrobat/ninja chick, an arabian/persian guy w/ a magic carpet...and i think someone else. The cartoon was pretty entertaining, actually, and it actually had a solid conclusion. I wouldn't mind picking that show up on DVD...i'd look forward to it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mage said:
There already was a Conan cartoon. Conan's village was turned to stone by some evil snake-guy, whose armies could only be hurt by 'star-metal' . He had this tiny phoenix sidekick, some acrobat/ninja chick, an arabian/persian guy w/ a magic carpet...and i think someone else. The cartoon was pretty entertaining, actually, and it actually had a solid conclusion.

Hahah yeah, I remember watching that, looong ago. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't so good either, from what I recall (not much :troll:).

The cartoon was what got me interested in Conan when I was a wee one, so it deserves props for that.

That said, boy, was this show was cheee-sey! :troll: The less these new movies have to do with it, the better (although Conan's VA was pretty good, so it'd be cool if Swordplay got Michael Donovan back for the role).

Bacongod said:
read the new comic, it satisfies the Conan need.

Hear, hear! :badbone: I can't wait too see their adaptation of "Tower Of The Elephant", and the rest of their Conan origin story arc.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I think this new installment will have a hard time matching up to my favorite episode in the series, the little known Conan the Librarian
LIBRARIAN.jpg

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Aazealh said:
Hahah yeah, I remember watching that, looong ago. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't so good either, from what I recall (not much :troll:).

"Conan, l'aventurier, héros mythique des temps passés-és!!"

Those new Busiek comics absolutely rock!

Top Bottom