Episode 261

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Leeuwer said:
Roderick coming into action finally ...
Seriously, that guy has balls. Even though Farnese ends up saving his ass in the end, you gotta give that guy credit for trying. If he ends up joining the group he may be a pretty good addition. We'll just have to wait and see...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I thought Serpico's section might be a little more interesting, but he's efficient like that, so no complaints. Love his expression as he lands, too.

Yep, pretty cool. The episode's awesome anyway, my hands were trembling while reading it first. :guts: Interesting to notice that the familiars didn't revert yet, from what we can see, Schierke has to immobilize them (and Miura uses some complicated Buddhist reference, that's like him).

Rhombaad said:
Schierke's familiars are...interesting...but they seem pretty effective.

Yup, she says she made them on the beach since she thought they might be needing something like that in the future.

Rhombaad said:
Seriously, that guy has balls. Even though Farnese ends up saving his ass in the end, you gotta give that guy credit for trying.

Yeah, he's got the merit of trying and not cowering in fear. :SK:

She used "金縛り”, which is basically a form of paralysis (which is obvious from looking at the immoblized tigers).

専門的にはレム睡眠の特殊な場合に起こる睡眠麻痺とよばれる生理的な現象です。

In real life it usually happens during REM sleep, and occurs when the mind is awake but the body is still sleeping, giving the impression that one is paralyzed. Usually excess stress or insomnia, or even a uncomfortable sleeping environment can be the cause.

puella

Berserk forever
yota821 said:
She used "金縛り”, which is basically a form of paralysis (which is obvious from looking at the immoblized tigers).

専門的にはレム睡眠の特殊な場合に起こる睡眠麻痺とよばれる生理的な現象です。

In real life it usually happens during REM sleep, and occurs  when the mind is awake but the body is still sleeping, giving the impression that one is paralyzed.  Usually excess stress or insomnia, or even a uncomfortable sleeping environment can be the cause.

Yeah, it is used in that meaning nowadays and it originally comes from "Fudô no kanashibari (不動の金縛り)", which is some kind of magic Fudômyôô (不動明王) uses to paralyze/immobilize something.
**不動明王:五大明王・八大明王の主尊, Yaksa or messenger or demon, etc in Buddhism. We can see his statue displayed in a temple. 不動明王 is placed in the center and other kings are placed in the East, West, North and South around him.

It's interesting Miura uses this word relating to Schierke's magic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting about the uses and origins of 金縛り, thanks guys. And thanks GoHF for the mirror. Anyway...

Farnese' new ability: the Power of HEART! Telepathy and Control animals!

MagicRing.jpg
Heart!.gif

The power is yours! :troll:

Yeah Aazealh

Thanks for the curent episode.

I 'm very happy to read the current episode. I like the turn of events now. I laughed so much with the scene of Puck who dressed in teacher.

Very nice!!

:guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Interesting about the uses and origins of 金縛り, thanks guys. And thanks GoHF for the mirror. Anyway...

Farnese' new ability: the Power of HEART! Telepathy and Control animals!

MagicRing.jpg
Heart!.gif

The power is yours! :troll:
Haha, I always thought that was the lamest power from that show when I was younger...still do in fact...although Farnese seems to be using it quite well. :guts:

Ishidoro should've stabbed up some tigers with his fire dagger. Overall, good episode. I don't understand what those wirey things do though.. do they paralyze the enemy? I don't think a tiger would drop down after getting some string with thorns on it stuck to its feet.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Tell Me Why said:
I don't understand what those wirey things do though.. do they paralyze the enemy? I don't think a tiger would drop down after getting some string with thorns on it stuck to its feet.
puella said:
Yeah, it is used in that meaning nowadays and it originally comes from "Fudô no kanashibari (不動の金縛り)", which is some kind of magic Fudômyôô (不動明王) uses to paralyze/immobilize something.
I think Puella managed to explain this pretty well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Haha, I always thought that was the lamest power from that show when I was younger...still do in fact...

Haha, same here actually. :guts:

Tell Me Why said:
I don't understand what those wirey things do though.. do they paralyze the enemy? I don't think a tiger would drop down after getting some string with thorns on it stuck to its feet.

Well, imagine some living barbed wire having fun with your legs, I don't think you'd be unaffected. Besides, felines have very sensitive feet.

Rhombaad said:
I think Puella managed to explain this pretty well.

Actually it's not the same thing, puella and yota821 were talking about the spell Schierke casted to paralyse the familiars after Serpico killed their masters, it's different from the thorny snakes.

PS: The color page with Farnese will either be the cover of volume 29 or part of the mini-poster, your guesses? :SK:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Good stuff! :guts: It's a good thing that she stays with Guts. With the info she know's she can probably help out later on since she is a greater understanding to the apostiles and things of that nature... Plus that city is going to get an ugly wake up call soon enough, but yea... Looking forward to the next episode!

EDIT: She may also inform the other nobles that make it alive about these things... Or not. That way if they make it back to their area's, give the rest the heads up! :troll:

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
I've experienced the sensation myself. It's rather uncomfortable, especially when weird shit goes down while your body's paralyzed and when you wake up, it feels like reality just reset itself ( Think Neo getting the "bug" planted in him in the first 'Matrix' movie.)

EDIT: Roddy deserves bonus points for keeping the front of his trousers dry even after the tiger rears up on him.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
PS: The color page with Farnese will either be the cover of volume 29 or part of the mini-poster, your guesses? :SK:
I think it stands an excellent chance of ending up as the Volume 29 cover. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the cover featured Shierke, since that volume dealt with her feelings quite a bit, too. Either way I'm sure we won't be disappointed.

Aazealh said:
Interesting to notice that the familiars didn't revert yet, from what we can see, Schierke has to immobilize them (and Miura uses some complicated Buddhist reference, that's like him).
Maybe it's the mist in the room that's keeping them in their familiar form?

Aazealh said:
Gotta go with it being the cover; this volume spotlighted Farnese a lot (not to say Schierke & Serpico didn't get some limelight too) after Schierke's pirate/neo-BotH members/Azan encounters. Just seems more likely to me.

Thanks again Aazealh. :serpico:

And a fucking sweet episode it is. :guts: Awesome 2-page spread of Guts ready to tear the scared familiars; I almost felt sorry for them. :chomp: I noticed Guts didn't even think about the beast, given he was feeling it against the crocs on the beach & during his duel with Serpico. I guess these familiars aren't badass enough to coerce it out of Guts. :SK:

Roderick showed himself to be less of a playboy & more of a competent man when he stepped up to help Guts. Serpico's one page Kushan beheadings is beautiful in its simplicity. Farnese using those barbed snake familiars was interesting; makes me wonder what other tricks could be inside Schierke's bag. :carcus:

With the tigers familiars neutralized & their masters dead, I'm looking forward to where the story's going next. I'm sure the Kushans are itching to hit Guts' group hard after they got in their way again should/if they know who they are, so it's good that Farnese tags along with the group. Looking at Farnese's face as she's saying she's staying makes me think she's finally awakened to herself. Looking forward to episode 262 to see the reactions to Farnese's answer.

PS: I edit too much.

I'm most interested in what Serpico's reaction will be. Since his main reason for staying with Guts' band is Farnese, do you think he'll follow even though he just dueled Guts? Sounds likely to me. Additionally, he himself really seems to admire Guts (his comments while fighting with him are proof of that). I don't think he'd prefer to be without Farnese in a noble life.

Anyway, great episode!! :guts: Can't wait until the next one.

Aazealh said:
However, the nobles are being attacked and killed right now, at the ball. They're going to die and flee, and I'd expect them to try to join with their troops rather than insolating themselves in a castle or whatever you're thinking of, especially since they're apparently major targets in this attack.
Well, now that the Tigers seem defeated, I must agree it seems logical for them to try and reunite with their troops...

Aazealh said:
Like I said, it's been speculated for a while now that the Hawks will appear at the end of the battle and save/incorporate the survivors, but what you're suggesting is the opposite, saving the nobles first and foremost but leaving the city and allied armies to be destroyed. I just don't find that to be very plausible in the context, especially since Guts is taking care of the nobles at the moment.
I was more thinking that the New BoH doesn't need a lot of soldiers, its strength is already impressive, but for Griffith, I think that the Nobles' confidence is more important... I don't know... :-\

krumm47 said:
do you think he'll follow even though he just dueled Guts? Sounds likely to me. Additionally, he himself really seems to admire Guts (his comments while fighting with him are proof of that). I don't think he'd prefer to be with Farnese in a noble life.
I couldn't imagine her staying in the Castle anyway, especially in the middle of the Kushans' attack! I'm pretty sure Serpico will stay with her. He has been devoting his life to her, I don't think he would leave her now, with all the dangers around.

Hmmmm I'm not sure but it seems her mother approves of her going with guts and the others she seemed like the type of person who would do that and could do that :guts:(well thats if the tigers didn't get her cause i haven't seen her mom in a bit)

Hmmm speaking of which that damn Azan better be coming in soon i want ta see him bash some tiger heads in *bam bam bam* :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jhot obs said:
Maybe it's the mist in the room that's keeping them in their familiar form?

Hey, good idea. :guts: It could also just be that they only revert when dead, or that there's a delay (there was one for the Makara).

Jhot obs said:
Gotta go with it being the cover

That would be the fourth cover not having Guts on it (others are 12, 20, and 21). Berserk trivia. :SK:

Jhot obs said:
I noticed Guts didn't even think about the beast, given he was feeling it against the crocs on the beach & during his duel with Serpico. I guess these familiars aren't badass enough to coerce it out of Guts.

I think it's more like they're not enough at all (as in not many of them). :guts: Anyway, he's concentrating and keeping the armor at bay, but I don't think he could go on like for too long before having trouble staying in charge, even though he's had some serious rest at last recently.

asmer said:
I was more thinking that the New BoH doesn't need a lot of soldiers, its strength is already impressive, but for Griffith, I think that the Nobles' confidence is more important... I don't know... :-\

I don't think you're getting my point. Not really important, let's just drop it.

asmer said:
the Castle

They're not in a castle you know, it's just a palace.

poodeta said:
(well thats if the tigers didn't get her cause i haven't seen her mom in a bit)

You can see her in a lot of panels, look again. :serpico:

poodeta said:
Hmmm speaking of which that damn Azan better be coming in soon i want ta see him bash some tiger heads in

I wouldn't be too worried about him, I'm sure he'll do his usual knightly appearance in the coming episodes. :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Jhot obs said:
I noticed Guts didn't even think about the beast, given he was feeling it against the crocs on the beach & during his duel with Serpico. I guess these familiars aren't badass enough to coerce it out of Guts. :SK:

The full moon played a part in Guts losing control while fighting crocs/whale, as did seeing those he cared about in danger.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
The full moon played a part in Guts losing control while fighting crocs/whale, as did seeing those he cared about in danger.

Yeah, most importantly he let himself get engulfed voluntarily in order to save them... And that was against the Makara, he managed to resist while fighting the crocodiles. There was a bad combinations of elements on the beach, that's why it was a close call.

Special news to our YA subscribers: next issue (n°18) will have a coupon allowing the customers to apply for a special Puck & Ivalera Xmas figures set. There will also be a mini-artbook available (Collected Paintings of Berserk: II?).

Top Bottom