Episode 261

Aazealh]The episode is out. Please buy the manga! :SK:[/quote] I buy the manga! And YA! But...I'm too impatient to wait for Sasuga to deliver my issues. Many thanks. [quote author=SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Good stuff! :guts: It's a good thing that she stays with Guts. With the info she know's she can probably help out later on since she is a greater understanding to the apostiles and things of that nature... Plus that city is going to get an ugly wake up call soon enough, but yea... Looking forward to the next episode! :troll:

I don't know if Farnese and Serpico will stay or leave after they get to Elfhelm, but I've been thinking that it wouldn't be such a bad thing if Farnese and Serpico did stay behind later on when/if Guts, Casca, and the kids depart for a new journey.

At some point, Casca will regain her sanity and she won't need a baby-sitter, so Farnese will have to find something else to do besides protect Casca all the time. If the plot turns toward courts and intrigues for a while as Griffith makes an appearance with Charlotte, then having familiar faces on the inside to observe Griffith would be convenient. Farnese and Serpico -- or just Roderick and the Vandimion family -- might have a more active role to play in the Griffith side of the story until Guts and Casca return.

Anyway, it'd be more natural to have Farnese and Serpico (rather than Guts) prowling around any upcoming courtly scenes, and also a good way to keep them activiely involved if they really do stay behind.

Regardless of what happens, though, I've been enjoying this part of the story muchly.

[Edited to keep it short...]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
miurafan said:
I buy the manga! And YA! But...I'm too impatient to wait for Sasuga to deliver my issues.

Well, that's understandable. At least you'll be getting the exclusive mini-artbook in the next issue! :guts:

miurafan said:
If the plot turns toward courts and intrigues for a while as Griffith makes an appearance with Charlotte, then having familiar faces on the inside to observe Griffith would be convenient.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that happening, actually I've been thinking that the Vandimions might eventually side against Griffith after a while, though maybe not right away. They'd have several reasons to be wary of him, if not because he's an evil villain in disguise, because he's powerhungry and will probably end up looking threatening to the Holy See at some point or another.

That would be a nice parallel to Raban, Owen and Foss that will probably end up at Griffith's court. Now whether they'd turn against him (if they can) once his true nature is revealed (if it is) is another question. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Btw the first page? Is that the cover page for Vol 29?

Aazealh said:
PS: The color page with Farnese will either be the cover of volume 29 or part of the mini-poster, your guesses? :SK:

Because I know you'll need an explanation: we don't know yet, but there's a chance it might be the cover.

Aazealh said:
Well, that's understandable. At least you'll be getting the exclusive mini-artbook in the next issue! :guts:

Ah, now I remember what this is; another version of the little booklet that was included a few months back. That one had the young Guts on the on the front, right?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that happening, actually I've been thinking that the Vandimions might eventually side against Griffith after a while, though maybe not right away.

Even though Farnese and Serpico don't stay behind, I still expect the Vandimions and Roderick to show up for the Griffith parts of the story. I enjoyed the court scenes back in the earlier volumes and wouldn't mind revisiting a few courtly intrigues again.

That would be a nice parallel to Raban, Owen and Foss that will probably end up at Griffith's court. Now whether they'd turn against him (if they can) once his true nature is revealed (if it is) is another question. :void:

Agreed, though Griffith remains a big question mark to me. For someone driven by a single goal, he still acts in ways that take me completely by surprise from time to time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
miurafan said:
That onet had the young Guts on the on the front, right?

Yup, that's the one. Illustrations originally made for the TCG.

miurafan said:
I still expect the Vandimions and Roderick to show up for the Griffith parts of the story. I enjoyed the court scenes back in the earlier volumes and wouldn't mind revisiting a few courtly intrigues again.

Yeah, same here basically. I just don't think that the Holy See and its allies would be happy to become vassals of Midland.

miurafan said:
Agreed, though Griffith remains a big question mark to me. For someone driven by a single goal, he still acts in ways that take me completely by surprise from time to time.

Oh yeah, I'm expecting him to surprise us, hell, that's even a safe bet. :griff:

krumm47 said:
I'm most interested in what Serpico's reaction will be. Since his main reason for staying with Guts' band is Farnese, do you think he'll follow even though he just dueled Guts? Sounds likely to me. Additionally, he himself really seems to admire Guts (his comments while fighting with him are proof of that). I don't think he'd prefer to be without Farnese in a noble life.
Serpico is tied too closely to Farnese to separate from her: it's part of his nature. He puts Farnese & her personal wants before his personal wants (Farnese wanted to follow Guts after Albion when Serpico didn't like that idea). But he also wants what's best for her: caretaking Casca got Farnese to show her nice side & Serpico knows that's a good thing.

Serpico's shown signs of acting on his own. Dueling with Guts sans Farnese's knowledge again was as much for him as he thinks it was for her IMO. And I doubt he likes the idea of her marrying Roderick (Roderick does have some good traits as this episode shows). Serpico believes having Farnese with Casca is best, he just needs to be more assertive to Farnese if he wants something for her. :serpico:

Kushans are in town anyway & the safest place to be is next to Guts & his group. :guts:

R

-rob-

Aazealh said:
Indeed, remember how we were all thinking that Ganishka would be crushed and how he finally didn't fare that bad... Anyway, thanks Lith for that providential post.

The episode is out. Please buy the manga! :SK:

A lot of things happen, it's seriously cool. Isidro and the others get to help defending the nobles, the elves set up a show, Schierke shows us new toys (her own familiars :isidro:) that Farnese gets to use through a ring with a rose embedded in it (to control thorny snakes!) :SK:, she even saves Roderick who tries to fight a tiger by himself (jealous of Guts :guts:). Serpico is only in one page, but he's a total badass. Touching Farnese/Guts scene too near the end, she of course won't be staying behind, really great.

Much aprecciated bro thanks.

im glad Farnese is joining the band again... shes such a great addition, especially for Casca. and i wouldnt want to lose Serpico either, he's my favorite after guts.

great episode!

Guts97 said:
im glad Farnese is joining the band again... shes such a great addition, especially for Casca.

Well, reading the Episode again, I'm also glad about it... After all, we haven't seen Rickert, whose role in the story is probably even more important than Farnese's or Serpico's ones, for a long long time...

It may also be a way for her to pay for her "crimes", to protect Casca, confronting this great danger!? Maybe... :-\

GoHF

I'm a llama!
I'm saying this off the top of my head, but I don't think the tigers went after women at all. I could go back and check, but alt+tabing is so bothersome... anyway, ganishka has a known use for women and since men do the fighting 99.9% of the time, it's kinda logical the kushan puppeteers only went after the men and left the women alone so they could breed more of their demonic army.

PS.: I just noticed this had a lot more discussion going on already, so to make things clear this comment came after reading the suggestion that Farnese's mother might have been eaten by the tigers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GoHF said:
I'm saying this off the top of my head, but I don't think the tigers went after women at all. I could go back and check, but alt+tabing is so bothersome... anyway, ganishka has a known use for women and since men do the fighting 99.9% of the time, it's kinda logical the kushan puppeteers only went after the men and left the women alone so they could breed more of their demonic army.

I wouldn't refute that with certainty, but I wonder if it isn't just coincidental. The women stay behind the men at the ball, and except for two times, it's always men that are facing the familiars, willingly or not. Also, Ganishka is far away, and I don't think Daiba or anybody else would be able to perform any kind of ritual without him. Of course the women could always be kept as slaves and taken to Wyndham, whenever that would be. I'm just wondering because the ball is apparently a priority to them, and female nobles are supposed to be as much of an enemy to Kushans as the males... So would low level casters receive specific orders to spare every woman without any exception, would they care, and would they be able to make that kind of distinction while controlling the familiars (who to attack in a group, etc)?

Then there's that scene where the tiger didn't attack (Schierke stopped him with the snake familiars), but was actually growling at them:

Females-Tiger.jpg

Conclusion: good question. :SK:

^^But at the end of 259, the tiger DID attack Farnese though, didn't it? Perhaps that was because she posed a threat to them, instead of just standing there cowering in fear?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yota821 said:
^^But at the end of 259, the tiger DID attack Farnese though, didn't it? Perhaps that was because she posed a threat to them, instead of just standing there cowering in fear?

Well yeah, she attacked it first. :guts: It's true though, it did attack back. Oh yeah, and before anybody asks, next episode will come out on September 9.

puella

Berserk forever
I'm so sure almost EVERY memeber here must be deadly curious about who Puck imitates in page 6. :badbone:

PuckTony.jpg

He is Tony Tani (トニー谷)! Tony Tani was a vaudevillian/show host/actor or whatever, in short, a very famous entertainer in Japan. He died in 1987 (born in 1917). He hosted the TV program "What's your name?(あなたのお名前なんてえの)". Puck says continuously "-zansu, -saizansu, -zansyo" in this episode, which were Tony Tani's trademark lines. I hope I can watch that TV program one day. :guts:

This is a book about him. Of course, its title is "Tony Tani, Zansu". :carcus:

002.jpg

Look at him with his legendary abacus.

003.jpg
004.jpg
001.jpg

Gee. Having a new translation is almost like reading a new episode.

Anyway, this probably means that Guts and co. won't tarry around the palace for too much longer, and instead will just head straight to Elfhelm (that's considering there is no sudden interference by either the Kushan or Griffith). Farnese's conflict probably would've held things up for a bit, with a whole episode (or two) dealing with her deciding to stay (it could've changed Guts' plans as well).

Overall, it's nice to know what's really going on (well, at least I HOPE I know what's going on. You people have proven to be tricksy...).

Thanks Puella for the background on one of Puck's impersonations. Miura seems to make a lot of references to old Japanese pop culture through Puck (like Doraemon); only one that he does that I get is him doing Yoda. :puck:

Something I noticed in this episode: Schierke had that magic ring ready for Farnese to control the thorny snake familiars, showing to what extent Schierke was about taking Farnese on as her apprentice. Now that they're reunited, it'll be interesting what other magic Schierke will bestoy upon her.

With things coming together, I look forward to the band of the Guts moving on to the next order of business. Seeing some of the nobles are killing the paralyzed tigers as Farnese finishes talking to Guts, I think things are in the calm for a brief period (like ½ to 1 episode). This is a great opportunity for some formal introductions between the 2 parties associated with Farnese to get underway. Maybe a few parting words between Farnese & her family/planned fiancé Roderick and attention can switch to the Guts' need of a ship or the Kushans' next move.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
krumm47 said:
Anyway, this probably means that Guts and co. won't tarry around the palace for too much longer, and instead will just head straight to Elfhelm (that's considering there is no sudden interference by either the Kushan or Griffith).

Yeah, I'd expect the Kushans to pose a problem in the group leaving Elfhelm.

Jhot obs said:
Thanks Puella for the background on one of Puck's impersonations. Miura seems to make a lot of references to old Japanese pop culture through Puck

Yep, there's quite a lot of them, actually. :puck:

Jhot obs said:
Something I noticed in this episode: Schierke had that magic ring ready for Farnese to control the thorny snake familiars, showing to what extent Schierke was about taking Farnese on as her apprentice.

Well, she had accepted her as an apprentice before, they just started slowly: first you look at apples when with your eyes closed, then you fight with badass familiars. :guts: Anyway, since nobody mentioned it yet, I imagine you guys noticed the obvious correlation between the rose and thorns here, and the rose and thorns that SK is famous for. I don't think we'll get to learn anything about it for now, but that's still quite interesting. It gives the Flora/SK relationship more background, though I already thought the rose was all about her.

Jhot obs said:
I think things are in the calm for a brief period (like ½ to 1 episode). This is a great opportunity for some formal introductions between the 2 parties associated with Farnese to get underway. Maybe a few parting words between Farnese & her family/planned fiancé Roderick and attention can switch to the Guts' need of a ship or the Kushans' next move.

Yeah, I think they'll explain and discuss a few things in the next episode, and will exit the ball at the end of it. That's if something big doesn't happen before, of course.

Sweet episode. I love Serpico's expression as he approaches Ganishka's underlings...
Can't wait for the next one (no break hopefully).
Nice job with the translations as well. I would compliment the translators in the other thread but it seems like the volume 30 sub-forum is gone...
au revouir

Aazealh said:
Yeah, I'd expect the Kushans to pose a problem in the group leaving Elfhelm.
True; assassinating the nobles at the ball can't be the only thing the Kushans planned for Vritannis. Federico gave a speech that the Holy See Alliance was going to take the fight to the Kushans tomorrow, so I'm sure there are more Kushan operations in town to prevent it from happening and take Vritannis out.

Aazealh said:
Anyway, since nobody mentioned it yet, I imagine you guys noticed the obvious correlation between the rose and thorns here, and the rose and thorns that SK is famous for. I don't think we'll get to learn anything about it for now, but that's still quite interesting. It gives the Flora/SK relationship more background, though I already thought the rose was all about her.
Good point. That rose ring & bramble snake familiars do remind me of Skull Knight's insignia on his shield. That could be a subtle hint on how much SK influenced Flora (who passed it down to Schierke) or vice versa. :SK:

Anyone else recognize Farnese's other brothers (Giorgio & Politiano) in the last box on page 20? One last family reunion before Vandimion's devil child walks away from the aristocratic scene. Magnifico's going to be pissed about this monkey wrench. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jhot obs said:
Federico gave a speech that the Holy See Alliance was going to take the fight to the Kushans tomorrow, so I'm sure there are more Kushan operations in town to prevent it from happening and take Vritannis out.

Yeah, they were going to start marching on the Kushan armies (most probably in Midland) the next day. As far as we know, Vritannis is bound to be completely annihilated.

Vritannis-Fate.jpg

Jhot obs said:
That could be a subtle hint on how much SK influenced Flora (who passed it down to Schierke) or vice versa.

Yup, I think it's more about Flora influencing him on that one, though.

Jhot obs said:
Anyone else recognize Farnese's other brothers (Giorgio & Politiano) in the last box on page 20? One last family reunion before Vandimion's devil child walks away from the aristocratic scene.

Yeah, the whole family is here to acknowledge her growth and maturity. And Magnifico can go to hell. :void:

Jhot obs said:
Thanks Puella for the background on one of Puck's impersonations. Miura seems to make a lot of references to old Japanese pop culture through Puck (like Doraemon); only one that he does that I get is him doing Yoda. :puck:

I'm trying to collect all the quotes that Miura makes using Puck, and this I'd not have get it... Thanks Puella.

One question: Now there are some evil tiger immobilized in the palace (and maybe also in all the Town...), right?

Top Bottom