Cheap, Exquisite Meals

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've been rather broke this past summer, so I've been learning how to cook cheap meals that taste classy. Tonight, I made steak with my oven, since I don't have a grille at my apartment. Here's the procedure I used to make it DEEEEEEELICIOUS. :beast:

Before you start, you'll need the following:
  • Steak
  • Kosher Salt (or just use table salt..)
  • Pepper
  • Non-stick frying pan
  • Cookie Sheet

1. Pre-heat your oven to 400 F and put the Cookie Sheet in there so it warms up for the big cook off.

2. Coat your steak with a teaspoon of olive oil on both sides. Spread it around the steak with the back of a spoon. This will enhance the frying and give it our base flavor.

3. Here's the real fun. Season both sides of the steak with layers of salt and pepper. There's really no "too much" for this recipe. Personally, my steak looked like it had a cocaine addiction by the time i was ready for step 4.

4. Heat your frying pan on the stove-top on medium to medium-high.

5. Once the stove-top is warm, place steak on the pan. Once you lay the steak down, DON'T MOVE IT for 3 minutes. Then flip it, and let that side cook for 2 minutes.

6. Finally, you're ready for the oven. Remove steak from frying pan and place on the cookie sheet in the oven. Bake on 400F for 6-9 minutes (6 for rare, 9 for well done).

7. Take steaks out and place them on a plate or cutting board and tent loosely with foil. Let steaks rest for about 5 minutes. This step is important so that the steak's juices are re-absorbed in the meat.

8. Serve with red wine or... in my case... vodka and grapefruit juice.

Image045.jpg

Enjoy!​

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Can't beat my UBERburger!1!1! :guts:

Uberburger.jpg

Preparation (from memory): 3 hamburger buns, 2 steaks, 2 eggs, 4 cheese slices, a ton of onions, mustard & ketchup, no other vegetable whatsoever.

Degustation phase:

UberCount.jpg

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Mmmmm, that does look quite good Mr. WallyB.... I counter this with my very own (really my Grandma's) Home made Enchilladas!

Ingridants
1 pack of corn tortias
2 Cans of enchillada sauce
2 packs of Southwestern sliced chicken (http://www.fosterfarms.com/products/product.asp?productcode=607)
1 pack 4 kind mexican cheese pack
2 Pans
1 baking pan (Any size will do)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1- have 2 pan's, 1 filled with about 1/4 cup of oil and get it hot! have the other pan filled with both cans of enchillada sauce and heat it up with a low medium heat. (NOTE) This will get messy so have a bowl full of warm water and a towel you wont need anymore cause its going to get stained! :carcus:

Step 2- Have a dinner plate ready as this will be your staging and creation station!

Step 3- With the oil hot and the enchillada sauce bubbling.. The process now begins... grab your first tortela and dip it in the oil and let it cook for a few seconds on each side (over cooking it will make it very hard and brittle).

Step 4- Dip it now in the enchillada sauce on both sides, after that place it on the plate.

Step 5- Place some chicken and cheese on one end of it and roll it up! (Chicken does not need to be cooked as it is already pre-cooked and you will bake it at the end!)

Step 6- Repeat this process untill you have your desired amounts of enchillada's. When you do have the amount, use up the rest of the sauce and gently coat the top of them, which you then dump the rest of the cheese evenly over it.

Step 7- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at about 300 to 350 degrees (Im using a japanese oven so its all messed up on temp's!)

I know this doesnt sound as good with out pictures, but i will upload them as soon as i go shopping this weekend! Film at 11! :chomp:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter, if you are a meat lover here's a good cheap but long recipe:

You will need:
1. Cube Stake (The thin kind)
2. Two onions
3. Apple Vinegar
4. 2 heads of Garlic

Procedure:
A. One full onion along side with 2 cups of apple vinegar and 2 heads of garlic straight into the    blender. Keep it in the blender until becomes liquid.

B. Once in liquid form, put it in a plastic container soaking the Cube Stake.

C. Foil the container, and put it in the fridge for a minimun time of 4 hours.  Usually I'll do it a day before and keep it there for 8 to 12 hours (the longer the better). 

D. Fry the Cube Steak with liquid combination.  Take other onion and cut it into pieces (I preffer circled pieces) and put then on the fryer for that extra onion flavor. 

And you have yourself what we like to call a "Beafteck".  I know you americans love french fries, so you can always do those as a side dish ;).  And yes my english at this point in time is horrible.
Hope you like it.

Who doesnt love good, cheap, premium alaskan salmon burgers...yummmmmyyyy
0825051844.jpg

BUT WAIT.....OH NO SALMON CONTIANS FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0825051844a.jpg

SCRATCH THAT IDEA! :isidro:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
Bifteck? Typical French food. :badbone: Comes from Beefsteak etymologically. :chomp:
You learn new things everyday I guess. Either way it's one of my favorite "easy" meals.

Just a tip: Do NOT lay a steak on a cutting board once you've cooked it if said cutting board was just used to cut meat before cooking. That's a good way to catch something.

That's also one of the easiest ways food bacteria and such is spread in homes.

Franz

It's a dolphin.
Hmm...
I love salmon...yet, I also love burgers. The two sound like a match made in heaven, but for some reason salmon burgers sounds like a disappointment.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Frank (me) Burgers
This is a popular family recipe that I've added onto.

You'll need
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper
  • Dale's Sauce (any worcheshire sauce will work, my family and I use Dale's. You can find it at the evil empire of Wal-Mart)
  • 2 slices of bread
  • 1 onion
  • 1 big-ass bowl
  • A grater (or a mincer, whichever)
  • A grille (I use George Foreman's)

1. Break the egg, drop the contents in the big-ass bowl. Stir repeatedly until it's a yellow mush.

2. Add 1 Tablespoon of Dale Sauce. Stir.

3. Add 1 teaspoon each of Salt and Pepper. Stir.

4. Use the grater to grate 1 cup of onions. Add to the bowl. Stir.

5. This is a weird step, but trust me. Pluck M&M sized pieces out of the bread, until those two slices have become several little M&Ms. Should be about a cup of tiny bread pieces now. This is an important step because the growing yellowish/brown swill you're making in the big-ass bowl will need to be absorbed by something other than the meat. Bread is perfect for this.

6. Add meat. Get sloppy with it. Roll the rectangular mothafucka around the yellow/brownish swill until it's completely absorbed. Now, pick out a 1/4 clump of that juicy meat and make baseball-shaped patties with your hands. 4 should be perfect, make less if you want thicker burgers.

7. Throw your baseball sized patties down on the grille. If you use a Foreman grille, the top grille will make them flat, otherwise, make them flat yourself before throwing them down.

8. Cook to your taste and serve with bacon and cheese for optimal flavor.

These burgers have had a 100% success ratio when I make them at parties. Everyone loves them.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I've had some of those before (or at least something very similar). I can vouch for them being very good.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
You guys are my heroes. Since I'm a freshman at college, food recipes are priceless. Infortunately, the oven and stove in the apartment are so filthy they're going to be replaced, so it'll be in'n'out for a while yet.

Just my two cents: Try puting ovacado slices on a burger along with to strips of bacon. Heaven (not th Berserk definition btw) on a bun.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
Frank (me) Burgers
This is a popular family recipe that I've added onto.

These burgers have had a 100% success ratio when I make them at parties. Everyone loves them.

Well, it definitely had a 100% success ratio at my home. Thanks for the recipe.

Nomad said:
Walter, if you are a meat lover here's a good cheap but long recipe:

You will need:
1. Cube Stake (The thin kind)
2. Two onions
3. Apple Vinegar
4. 2 heads of Garlic

Procedure:
A. One full onion along side with 2 cups of apple vinegar and 2 heads of garlic straight into the    blender. Keep it in the blender until becomes liquid.

B. Once in liquid form, put it in a plastic container soaking the Cube Stake.

C. Foil the container, and put it in the fridge for a minimun time of 4 hours.  Usually I'll do it a day before and keep it there for 8 to 12 hours (the longer the better). 

D. Fry the Cube Steak with liquid combination.  Take other onion and cut it into pieces (I preffer circled pieces) and put then on the fryer for that extra onion flavor. 

And you have yourself what we like to call a "Beafteck".  I know you americans love french fries, so you can always do those as a side dish ;).  And yes my english at this point in time is horrible.
Hope you like it.

ahhhh my favorite dish ever, lol I love to deep freedom fries in the sauce that the steak makes.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
ELEKTRO said:
ahhhh my favorite dish ever, lol I love to deep freedom fries in the sauce that the steak makes.
For the dignity of the entire US of A, don't call them 'freedom fries.'

Top Bottom