Just got Berserker PVC statue, mixed feelings.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
Well, I bought my guts armored berserk pvc statue on ebay and it came today.
Here's some pics. . .

http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/a3a7e-berserkerpvc1.JPG
http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/b35bd-berserkerpvc2.JPG
http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/a26bf-berserkerpvc3.JPG
http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/0970d-berserkerpvc4.JPG

Well, I've really got mixed feelings about this. First, the cape looks messed up. I remember that was mentioned in another thread, and the final product was never fixed. The right arm is moveable/poseable, but it's not secured into the statue like an action figure. Actually, the shoulder just pops into the body and the arm just pops into the shoulder. The two joints come apart VERY easily, and have a hard time staying in when the sword is inserted into the hand. The blood on the statue is nice, but I wish the sword were bloody too. It's a nice size, but the base is just like an action figure base. Naturally, it can't even compare to the resin statue, but it's a cheaper alternative. This statue would probably get a C in my grade book.

conan

Until next time...
A few questions:

1) Where did you get it and how much? You said "Ebay" but didn't say who the seller was...I'd appriciate knowing...

2) Can you take a few upclose shot of his face? 
The proto I saw at SDCC looked like you could see his eye through the mask, though it looks like a tight fit in the production version...

3) What is your opinion on the size? 
Can you post a pic next to the Battle Damaged PVC statue or another berserk statue/figure?

4) Also, do you think it'd be worth the time and effort to try and modify the PVC to look more like the resin? ie- cutting it apart and regluing/repainting it?

5) Does the flash just make it look gray, or is it really that gray? Like Aaz said, it looks pretty gray... :(

Thanks for your help...congrats on the buy...

I'm anxiously awaiting this one as I can't afford the resin and PVC versions and action figures are the only ones I buy...

CnC

Ad Oculos
How "grey" does it look to you? The flash on your camera could certainly brighten it up to make black look grey.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
OK, My ebay seller was hobbygeneration. The pvc statue appears from time to time and when I checked the item description it said in stock, so I went for it. I bought it now for 89.99 plus 20.00 shipping. It shipped from Hong Kong.

Here's some up close face pics

http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/4a8d8-berserkerpvc6.JPG
http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/eedd9-berserkerpvc7.JPG

Both eyes are filled in red (and i don't think it glows in the dark either), but you can see some of the face where the mouth of the helmet is (sorry the photos dont show that) and from what i can tell by looking up there the entire face is there: eyes, nose, mouth, and some blood.

As far as size comparison. . .
http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/858b2-sizecompare.JPG

So I think the size is just fine.

Yeah, I guess the flash does make it look a little more gray, althought its not "midnight black." The cape is darker than the armor, but i guess I'd still consider the armor black. . . well let's settle with grayish-black.
http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/c4aaa-berserkerpvc5.JPG

It would DEFINATELY be worth the time and effort to slightly modify this. A little more paint detail and some blood would do it for me, but for someone more serious, a mild reconstruction would make it look spectacular.

Here's a few more pictures with the flash turned on. I did so so that the blood was more evident, and the flash does make it look much too gray in these.

http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/2b84a-berserkerpvc9.JPG
http://www.yourupload.com/uploads/4476d-berserkerpvc10.JPG

OK, hope this helps.

conan

Until next time...
Thanks for the update...

You're right...the flash is what makes it look gray.
(BTW "grey" is a variant of gray and used when the word is a name - ie - "Mr. Grey")
The color I think will look fine w/o a flash....

The statues' size looks OK, but I sure wish he was a bit bigger in terms of mass. His legs (ankles in particular) look tiny compared to the Black Swordsman's. WTF?

Also, I too wish the sword was blood covered and I actually plan to "modify" mine to look more like the resin statue. Oh, and while I'm complaining, the base is just sad. For $100.oo, you'd think they'd at least give you a decent "enviromental" base or something...

Anyhow...

Thanks again for the pics and link. I'll check out that seller and see what's what, though I think I'll just wait for the US release for $62.oo (check out www.tisinc99.com) instead of spending $100+ on this...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
conan said:
BTW "grey" is a variant of gray and used when the word is a name - ie - "Mr. Grey"

No, grey and gray can both be used alternatively, to refer to the color or in more general ways. Gray is more commonly used in America, but that's it. There's no specific use related to names, except of course for a name's own specific spelling.

conan

Until next time...
Aaz...you know we Americans are always right....right!? ;)

Any way you spell it, you're right...it looks pretty grey/gray...
but I'll still buy it! :D :D

If this PVC statue would have featured the same pose as the resin statue, I would have bought it. There is no doubt in my mind. This pose seems rather weak in comparison. Oh well.

conan

Until next time...
I'm thinking of changing the pose of the PVC to match the one of the resin. I don't think it will be hard and, using some plastic welder and my dremel, I should be able to get it pretty close. I'd have to cut almost every major joint: both knees, both hips, elbows, shoulders can stay the same (may have to cut left shoulder...not sure)

It may or may not be worth trying to modify a $70.oo PVC statue, but if it makes it look better...

Also, the PVC's pose actually isn't that bad...the resin looks like him just after he's swung his sword from high to low - the PVC looks like he's just killed about 100 demons and he's worn out...but ready for more...

Both have their places, but I'd agree with you - the resin's pose is more "active" IMO...

This PVC statue's pose is similar to the Headlong kit's pose, but I like the Headlong pose way better because it seems more natural. The PVC statue looks really stiff to me.

I meant to complain about the price, too, but then I forgot. I don't see why this PVC costs twice as much as the Black Swordsman PVC.

BillyBudd said:
This PVC statue's pose is similar to the Headlong kit's pose, but I like the Headlong pose way better because it seems more natural. The PVC statue looks really stiff to me.

I meant to complain about the price, too, but then I forgot. I don't see why this PVC costs twice as much as the Black Swordsman PVC.

Economics of scale maybe?

Blackswordsman also may have been cheaper since there was no change in the sculpt from the resin version.

conan

Until next time...
Maiku nailed it on the head...the retooling and cost to create casts for the new sculpt are what made the price jump...at least that's what I'd think...

Too bad too, I think a lot of people would RATHER have had a PVC of the resin pose then this one...which makes me think AOW is trying to get the resin statue buyers AND the action figure buyers to buy the same stuff - ie: this new PVC...

OK, those reasons make sense. I actually probably could have come up with them myself. My main point that was it's ridiculous that this thing costs twice as much. PVC statues usually don't cost anywhere near that much, and I think Art of War is going to have a lot of trouble attracting casual buyers when it comes to this PVC statue.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
It seemes rather disapointing that this pvc statue didn't even include a decent base, just the cheap-ass plastic one included with the figures.

conan said:
Too bad too, I think a lot of people would RATHER have had a PVC of the resin pose then this one...which makes me think AOW is trying to get the resin statue buyers AND the action figure buyers to buy the same stuff - ie: this new PVC...

It worked on me since I bought both...........The real reason was keeping PVCs and action figures on my desk at work and resin at home. Now with my new job I work from home. Oh well I already paid for the PVC so I'll end up just keeping it probably.

conan

Until next time...
Yeah...I don't have many statues, but the ones I do I keep in storage or at my folks or in-law's home. My figures are on my desk and shelves above my work desk.

I'm majorly disappointed in the base as well...it's almost sad that the damned things a black disk and not even rocky ground or something like that...

I sure hope the thing's worth it...and Billy is right...I wouldn't expect a "casual buyer" who just happens to see this PVC buy it. Unlike the Batte Damaged BS PVC...I had a ton of people email me after I did my review of the BS Battle Damaged telling me they bought it just cuz it looked cool...I wouldn't expect that with this one...

conan

Until next time...
which shows you why this one isn't going to do well in America....

No one wants an over priced, under quality statue...

Though I'm tempted to buy one from hobbygeneration too as I really dig this statue and I'm obsessed w/ Berserk statues and figures... :D :D

conan said:
which shows you why this one isn't going to do well in America....

No one wants an over priced, under quality statue...

Though I'm tempted to buy one from hobbygeneration too as I really dig this statue and I'm obsessed w/ Berserk statues and figures... :D :D

Well another reason why no one in America will be it is because the Berserker hasn't shown up in the American version of the Manga. The only people that know what it is are people that import the manga or DL scanlations.

conan

Until next time...
Exactly true...

I spoke with Doug at Yamato USA, and he said they were only bringing about 400 or so Berserker Armor PVC statues to the USA...the rest are staying over seas...

There are still some stores stuck w/ the other Battle Damaged PVC and they can't sell them for $30 shipped (check out Ebay for these), so I don't think many stores ordered many of the Berserker PVCs... which is sad...it's not THAT bad...

Top Bottom