Imitation of Berserk

Some manga called "Ubel Blatt"

00.jpg

Plot synopsis:

When Wischtech threatened to invade the Empire of Szaalanden, the Emperor formed a party of 14 young warriors, armed them with Holy Lances and dispatched them on a mission to stop the invasion. 3 died on the way and they were called the Precious Departed; 4 betrayed the Emperor and were killed for it, they were named the Lances of Betrayal; the remaining 7 sucessfully completed the mission and were dubbed with the title of the 7 Heroes.

20 years have passed and the winds of war begin to blow again across Szaalanden .The Four Lances of Betrayal who were supposely dead reappear to launch a civil war right in the border lands. In the midst of these conflitcs appears a mysterious young boy with a scar over his left eye and a overwhelming swordmanship skill. Who is this kid who can slain whole regiments and has strange unnatural skills? In his eyes lays a dark past more old than his appearance betrays.

Ah gee, I wonder where the author got his inspiration from here? (The character also has a scar over his eye)

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
An Elf looking character with a scar over the eye (but the eye is still there), with what looks to be a regular size sword, doesn't really look like a Berserk imitation.

KazigluBey said:
An Elf looking character with a scar over the eye (but the eye is still there), with what looks to be a regular size sword, doesn't really look like a Berserk imitation.

yea same here but if you were to talk about the girl kinda having a sorta Slan look then maybe and i am only talking about her clothes because she also has like a collar sort of thing around her neck but her crotch and big hooters are covered :serpico: but Slan looks way hotter in my opinion anyways

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
slan69 said:
yea same here but if you were to talk about the girl kinda having a sorta Slan look then maybe and i am only talking about her clothes because she also has like a collar sort of thing around her neck but her crotch and big hooters are covered :serpico:

That's a pretty generic look, sorry.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Henry Spencer said:
Some manga called "Ubel Blatt"

Ah gee, I wonder where the author got his inspiration from here? (The character also has a scar over his eye)

Yeah, doesn't sound like much of an imitation to me. A character with a mysterious, dark past isn't exactly uncommon, either. It doesn't sound like it's ripping off Berserk at all.

yesmilord

千年王国
If anyone plays World of Warcraft, this sword that came out a few months ago was constantly compared (in forums and in game) to Guts' Dragonslayer.

65478.jpg

For reference, the sword is called Armageddon, and it drops off of the Four Horsemen.
The sword is so long that it often clips into the ground.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Is it me, or is every BIG SWORD being compared to the Dragon Slayer?

While it's sometimes unwarranted, most of the time it isn't. The fact is the Dragon Slayer is the prototypal giant sword, so it's only natural that people would compare all the others to it.

X

Xem

Another WoW sword, often compared to the Dragonslayer:

264.jpg

1667.jpg

The Armageddon get's a lot of Dragonslayer references though, because not only is it huge, but the hilt looks very similar also.

Here's one that may, just may have been an influence on one character designer of Princess Crown for the Sega Saturn (and PSP). Well, the design of the sword anyway. Sorry if it's been brought up all ready, but...

Guy on the left:
princess_03.jpg

Hmm...
T-14418G_33,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-33-Princess-Crown-JPN.jpg

Yup, not a rip off at al...
T-14418G_29,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-29-Princess-Crown-JPN.jpg

Not at all...
T-14418G_45,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-45-Princess-Crown-JPN.jpg

Great game too. Best on Saturn, possibly.

Side note: I wonder if Miura himself is aware of all of these "inspirations" or downright rip-offs?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't look like much of a rip off of Berserk to me. Just generic fantasy stuff + a big sword.

Ooo, I'm actually surprised this one hasn't been mentioned, but I searched and everything, so here goes~
I think this is probably more inspiration that right out imitation, but this is a character that always reminded me of Guts. It's Arngrim from the Valkyrie Profile series. Though there are a lot of differences, he just felt familiar to me. He has a similar attitude overall, and voice actor also. And Arngrim, in the original mythology was a berserker!
Here's some art of him:

arngrim1.jpg
arngrim2.jpg

I don't think it's a bad thing, as I really enjoy Arngrim in the series, but.. I thought it was pertinent to the topic!

His sword doesn't look as broad or long as Gut's dragonslayer. He rather seems like a generic two-handed weapon fighter. And it's not uncommon for berserks to fight with overtly big weapon.

One of the defining characteristics of the Dragon Slayer is that it's a plain slab of steel. Most of the swords posted here have a much prettier look. These look more like really big swords as opposed to homages to Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
delusion said:
Ooo, I'm actually surprised this one hasn't been mentioned, but I searched and everything, so here goes~
I think this is probably more inspiration that right out imitation, but this is a character that always reminded me of Guts. It's Arngrim from the Valkyrie Profile series.

The resemblance has been mentioned several times before, actually. Maybe not in this thread, but it was strong enough that many years ago a member here called argon even modified his sprite to create one of Guts.

2arngrim.gif

Deviance said:
His sword doesn't look as broad or long as Guts dragonslayer.

Arngrim.gif

How about now? That's what the character actually looks like in the game. And delusion was posting about the character himself looking like Guts, not about his sword. But as a matter of fact, in the game the sword is disproportionate enough.

Deviance said:
And it's not uncommon for berserks to fight with overtly big weapon.

Overtly big? Or do you mean overly big? Because traditionally, they were never described as using particularly large weapons. They even had shields. Their main characteristic (aside from the fact they went berserk in battle, obviously) was that they wore animal pelts (it's where the name comes from).

seppuku said:
One of the defining characteristics of the Dragon Slayer is that it's a plain slab of steel. Most of the swords posted here have a much prettier look. These look more like really big swords as opposed to homages to Berserk.

It's true it's a "no frills" kind of deal, but THE main characteristic of the Dragon Slayer has always been its enormous size. Now of course some of the swords in this thread aren't homages and people just got overeager, but any sword that is huge beyond reason is quite likely to have been either directly or indirectly inspired by the Dragon Slayer. There were no giant swords before. Then Berserk came out, and now they're everywhere.

S

supa_pokute

Does anyone have a picture or a link to that Devil Hunt manga? I was just curious to actually read it or see some of the similarities but I can't actually find any info on the manga on the Internet (maybe I'm just not looking in the right places). I know someone posted a link but it's been dead for a while I think... anyway I'd really like to just check it out or see some pics. :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
supa_pokute said:
Does anyone have a picture or a link to that Devil Hunt manga? I was just curious to actually read it or see some of the similarities but I can't actually find any info on the manga on the Internet (maybe I'm just not looking in the right places). I know someone posted a link but it's been dead for a while I think... anyway I'd really like to just check it out or see some pics. :)

Here are a few of the old pictures I've got stored on my computer (coming directly from the website listed at the beginning of this thread).

guts.JPG
niseguts.JPG

haizuri.JPG
nisehaizuri.JPG

hasiri.JPG
nisehasiri.JPG

kokoro2.JPG
nisekokoro2.JPG

korosu.JPG
nisekorosu.JPG

niseken.JPG
nisekensi.JPG

sasae.JPG
nisesasae.JPG

zodd.JPG
nisezodd.JPG

And keep in mind there's a lot more.

PineappleSkewer

She's Deliciously Atrocious!
While looking at the similarities between this DH manga and Berserk, I had this exact expression.... :azan:

Then I saw the last picture with imitation Zodd and I was just disgusted.

These imitations really put me on edge. Why start a manga when all your doing is ripping off of someone else's material. :mozgus: By the way thanks for sharing Aaz.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oblivious said:
Holy crap! That's really interesting. It obviously can't be coincidence, I think there has definitely been some copying going on.

Oh it's clear it was a rip-off. Publicly acknowledged and all. And while it took the most from Berserk, other series weren't spared either.

Top Bottom