Berserk & Brother's Grimm [spoilers]

Skimmer

without my sword I can't sleep
I went and say Brother's Grimm Wednesday night and thought it was complete trash, so I entertained myself by pretending it was a live-action rendition of Berserk.  Yeah I know I shouldn't blaspheme, but come on - I was bored.

Anyways there were a lot of similarities, mostly in the vein of "what might happen" for the future of Guts/the rest of the characters:

1. One character was a Wolf, who could transform back into a human at will.  Not only did this remind me of the Berserker armor, but even the way he transformed - the wolf's head would break backwards and become his cape (reverse of Guts' armor).  I was thinking this could be Guts if he gave away his human form, since the wolf shares a little moment with a "Caska-ish" kind of character.

2. An eclipse is mentioned.  That's about it for that one, just thought it was worth mentioning.

3. The wolf character carried around an enchanted axe that the woods/animals were afraid of.  Reminded me of what Schierke tried to give to Guts.

4. One scene has a mud-like golem in it that reminded me of the golems from Flora's Treehouse.

5. There is a queen who stayed in the top of this old tower, waiting forever for someone to save her.  Reminded me of Charlotte waiting for Griffith.

So that's all I can remember, and I realize Berserk draws a lot of its material from fairy tales and stuff like that so it's no surprise a movie about the Grimm Brothers would remind me of Berserk.  Anyways, thanks for listening  :serpico:

Skimmer

yota821 said:
I don't think this belongs in the speculation's thread......

I knew someone would say something like that.  Sorry, but I did speculate on the possible Berserk future.  I thought this was the most appropriate section to post in.  Did I ruin your day?  :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The relations you're drawing are pretty generic fantasy/folktale stuff, so the connections aren't extremely pertinent in themselves IMHO. About the wolf thingie, I don't think Guts will become anything like that. The Beast of Darkness isn't exactly a wolf either, it also shares traits of a shark, like Griffith said years ago.

Nevertheless, Miura has been taking inspiration from old myths and legends to create Berserk, it's not a secret (and not just European but also Japanese, Indian, etc). Even the vocabulary he's using refers to these old tales, rather than the "modern" standards of fantasy. By doing things this way, he creates a world of his own, as original as it's possible for it to be, since he takes the material from the source and makes it his own. I've actually always admired him for that, and I think that he intentionally input folktales aspects in Berserk these days (Charlotte in the tower for example). Even the characters refer to it (Skull Knight on the beach, etc).

Concerning the thread... I'll move to it Berserk Miscellaneous. :SK:

Skimmer

Thanks for the comments, and you're right - it isn't really a wolf, but I saw characteristics in the Brother's Grimm wolf that reminded me of the Beast of Darkness and Guts (not just physical) :chomp:

My thread does belong here though, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
[quote author=Branded_Artist]
I went and saw Brother's Grimm Wednesday night and thought it was complete trash, so I entertained myself by pretending it was a live-action rendition of Berserk. 
[/quote]

Well, I didn't think it was complete trash, though yeah it could have been a hell of a lot better. But yeah - it reminded me a LOT of Berserk too. Almost to the point where I was picturing it as a side story in the Berserk world - the era wasn't too far off, and the type of shit that was going on was definitely smacking of Berserk. The smeared face and the golem, the tower, the posessed trees... I liked a lot of the stuff *in* the movie, the movie as a whole was kind of.. crap. :serpico:

Skimmer

Haha glad someone watched the movie the same way I did, I thought I was the only one. I did forget to mention the possessed trees though, good call my friend. But yes, the stuff in the movie was cool but the film lacked substance... and explanation.

Anyone else?

I watched the Brothers Grimm TV series when I was little, so everything made alot more sense to me. The movie was basically a background of how they became who they were and where all the stories came from. The TV series was basically all their stories, in live action. Of course, that was 15 years ago. I enjoyed the movie, but I think it's just because I used to watch the series.

That's just my take on it. :zodd:

- C

Top Bottom