Favorite Volume?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
since i only read vol1 to vol9 i guess i'd have to say that vol1 is one of my favorite! i always liked the first volume of a serie, like the set up and all that shit.. the one i like least would be humm, vol8 maybe, i dunno maybe i found it a little bit "mou" not enough action but i really liked the end though. i pretty much enjoyed vol.9

i guess id have to say that my fav one is always the newest one (since i m always waiting impatiently for the newest release in english!)

I love the whole series when Guts/Band of hawks is fighting huge armies, raiding and defending castles, etc. I loved the wide shots of everybody fighting. The art is amazing. I'm not sure what volumes they were. I think around 7ish. It's hard to explain, but that is my favorite part. Also, during the eclipse. It's awesome.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Castaway said:
I love the whole series when Guts/Band of hawks is fighting huge armies, raiding and defending castles, etc. I loved the wide shots of everybody fighting. The art is amazing. I'm not sure what volumes they were. I think around 7ish.

That would be from volume 5 to 8, encompassing all of it or almost.

Hi there,
Well, I'd say that's a good topic to start with for my first post. I'm from France and I've been a fan of Berserk for two years now. Yeah, I discovered the greatest manga ever pretty late :judo: but better late than never, right?

Answering the question... it's really hard to give one ultimate favorite volume, since Berserk is to be seen as a whole story, not volumes. But I'm pretty confident THE best volume hasn't come yet. The moment Casca regains her sanity and faces Guts will probably be one of the greatest moments of all, and so will be Guts' final confrontation with Zodd, and of course Griffith.

That said, there are several volumes which are special to me. I'd say my absolute favorites are when Guts and Casca are "together", rescue Griffith and kill Wyald. It was an awesome fight.

I also loved #7: how Guts discovered about women by taking care of Casca after falling into the river, and I also loved the killing of a 100 men that follows.

The volumes concerning the Eclipse can't be rated as my favorites since watching Casca being raped in front of Guts was probably the saddest and most horrifying moment of the manga.

The Lost Children was an extensive period but not one of my favorites since it didn't directly concern the main Guts-Casca-Griffith storyline. The last volume of the Albion part was on the other side very exciting, with the fight between Mozgus and Guts, and Casca being in danger again, the rebirth ceremony, the look on Guts' face as he sees his enemy again...

In other words my favorites volumes are the ones dealing directly with the evolution of the relationships between those three main characters and the main revenge storyline.

9, 10, and 11 are the ones I liked the best. Everything just went pretty well for guts in those 3 volumes. He made his badass return to the hawks and gave the remaining hawks hope. He finally won over that obsessed bitch Casca, he went on a rampage and almost singlehandedly cleared the way to the sewers in the escape from the castle, and he beat down a 30 foot monster in front of the entire band of the hawk.

The akward interactions between guts and casca in those volumes were probably the most ammusing parts of the manga for me. Casca's emotional bullshit has been badly missed since she went all *durrrrrrrrr*. They need to get that bitch's memory back pronto so she can get back to having emotional breakdowns.

CnC

Ad Oculos
mike.william said:
He finally won over that obsessed bitch Casca,

Casca's emotional bullshit has been badly missed since she went all *durrrrrrrrr*. They need to get that bitch's memory back pronto so she can get back to having emotional breakdowns.

I'm guessing your single.

Yea, those are good volumes. But I think Casca's emotional attachment to Griffith was well explained. That conflict makes her an interesting character. Would have been boring otherwise.

DoM

I'm a llama!
I like the volumes with the Guts-Casca relationship before the eclipse. (especially the moments after they fell from the cliff and their talk on the hill when they look at the campfires).
I also enjoyed the recent volumes with the new group's moments (Serpico and puck making food, Guts training Isidro etc...).
I guess i enjoy more the relationship moments than the fighting moments :p (my favourite fight would be Guts vs Zodd on the hill of swords!)

Kagami

Goo!
DoM said:
I also enjoyed the recent volumes with the new group's moments (Serpico and puck making food, Guts training Isidro etc...).

Me too. The humour in Berserk is the thing that really makes (for me anyways) the big difference between one of the greatest and the my favorite manga of all time. Something about the style just tickles my funny bone (Puck trying to pull and Ogami Itto with Roshinu, the expression  on Ishidro and Pucks face when his sword breaks...ect). I'll go with vol. 18 for fun, but really who can choose a favorite book? :puck:

Leeuwer

Out Of Will
I don't like the use of the word "favourite" when talking about a specific Berserk volume, but the one I've read the most times is Vol.16.
Guts' transition to the Beast is beautifully done. The fight with Roshinu is fantastic, but his speech to Jill and his breakdown afterwards in the forrest, while the demons mess with his mind is just fantastic, and shows how much effort Miura puts in the psychological aspect of his story.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Volume 8 I believe, or 7 (where griffith has guts do his "durty work" I believe? that volume litteraly DEFINED griffith for me; it made him 10x a deeper character then I thought before; the whole "Do you think... I am an evil person?" thing was amazing)

I also loved the part with the bonfire of dreams.. and "Confession" in volume 9.. what can I say, im a sucker for emotional/character developtment scenes.. in fact, the thing I enjoy most about berserk are these talking scenes. Of course I like the fighting, but what really defines it for me are these character interactions. Miura made me love the characters so much, that with the whole eclipse thing/what happened to the hawks/how guts was held down and forced to watch femto and casca... It actually got me depressed/angry, haha.. I felt as horrible as guts looked :p

meh, sounds pretty dumb but I just love that whole aspect of this series. its too hard to pick a most loved volume; but I would have to go with character developtment scenes and the "climax" of the eclipse.

I liked the Berserk Prototype. lmao, thats not even a volume, haha XD

I liked the prototype becuase *Yes,I did see it* it showed what Miura can do with his art and story. But the whole thing with the... nvm, I'm not going to spoil it.

anyway, I LOVED IT, it made me crack up, it was quite entertaining and humerous in a sick way. Although, the art seems faded to what volume 30 looked like, my god it's more realistic in a sense. haha =D

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
As some one said, Volume 16 is awesome if not entirely for the Beast episode.
Miura is great with imagery, and that was him in top form.

Spirit of Ukko

Eclipse darkened the horizon
I've read from volume 1 to 9 and I have to say that those two are the best volumes this far. Vol 1 is just cool and it gives me nice memories. I bought it when i went to a rock festival and i had it in my bag during all the gigs (it has slightly rumbled edges). It was my first tough with Berserk manga and i must say that i didn't know what to think when i looked random pages... Snake monsters etc... When I read it I was immediately hooked. Vol 9 is just cool, emotional and shocking. It'd probably be my fav if I didn't have all these memories towards vol 1.

I'd go with vol. 13. Especially because of the episode "Awakening to a nightmare", the most emotional part of the saga for me.
Everything else is obviously awesome, but each time I read this one I get a little bit depressed, if you know what I mean.

S

smoke

I rather like the volumes in the Retribution arc. The anticipation of Griffith coming back during the mock-eclipse was great. I felt like I couldn't read it fast enough.

I feel like if I say one over the other I'm not giving enough credit. I'll take the story as a whole or probably the first eclipse and 21/22.

13. I love the Eclipse sequence. It's...amazing.

My least favorite part has been the Lost Children arc. It's the only part of Berserk that disappointed me. I understand why it was in there, but I think that material could have been handled differently...

Volume 13 certainly had the most emotional impact, but as others have said i cant really say its my favorite simply because its so sad what happens.

I'd have to go with Volume 9 cause Gatts and Casca get together in that one and just for a second everything is hunky dory in the world of Berserk, and that is a rare thing!

Top Bottom