Dark Horse - Berserk Manga information

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
The thread below was locked because it was no longer of any use. If we're going to start arguing about the border of a cover, which might not even be put into production, then all other aspects of Dark Horse manga can be posted here. Enough is enough, and I'm just as guilty as everyone else contributing to that thread.

So let's discuss other things about the Dark Horse Manga.

LG

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Re:Dark Horse Manga info please post here

Something that has been nagging at me, is how they will translate things like "Apostles" and various other names.

Occasionally, Dark Horse has a page at the start of their volumes that tells the reader about things they need to know, or information about how the the manga has been translated, sound effects etc.

In Blade of the Immortal, for example, there is a page explaining about the swastika on Manji's kimmono and also a glossary of Japanese translations on things like Ronin and Edo.

So, anyone think there could be glossary for Berserk? Certain things might need explaining, depending on how they translate it.

Oh, and one more thing. When Dark Horse issued a statement, they said the first 3 volumes would be released at the same time? Does that still stand?

Markaveli63

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I believe they only said that 3 volume's had been licenced, and that they will publish them bi-monthly.

Xero Kaiser

I'm a llama!

Uriel said:
Something that has been nagging at me, is how they will translate things like "Apostles" and various other names.
why won't they just call them "apostles"?

i believe the only reason why they had a japanese glossary in the back of BotI is to keep the integrity of the material. if it takes place in Japan, why not use the japanese vocabulary when it comes to ronin, samurai, seppuku, etc.
since Berserk takes place in a European setting, the japanese vocabulary would appear out of place, wouldnt it? so i dont see why they would have a glossary in the back to explain anything.

But i believe "Apostles" isnt the only translation, nor is "Causality". They could use the term "Angels" and "fate", could they not? i doubt that any of DH's translations will resemble the ones of this community.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

They could translate it as fate, but the kanji, "Inga" is more specific than that.

yeah, i know, but didnt MB translate it as fate? they could keep it the same for continuity.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost

Walter said:
They could translate it as fate, but the kanji, "Inga" is more specific than that.

How would they get more specific...in the sense of someone's personal destiny or predestination you mean?

LG

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?

Lady Griffith said:
How would they get more specific...in the sense of someone's personal destiny or predestination you mean?

LG

I think he means that "Inga" specifically can mean "causality" or the "law of cause and effect." That's how I've always seen it translated in dictionaries and the like.

Uriel

ranemaka13 said:
i believe the only reason why they had a japanese glossary in the back of BotI is to keep the integrity of the material. if it takes place in Japan, why not use the japanese vocabulary when it comes to ronin, samurai, seppuku, etc.
since Berserk takes place in a European setting, the japanese vocabulary would appear out of place, wouldnt it? so i dont see why they would have a glossary in the back to explain anything.
If you read it, you'd see it was an example. For the glossary, I meant for things like God Hand, or Midland and Tuda. New comers to the series might be confused by all these terms.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?

Uriel said:
If you read it, you'd see it was an example. For the glossary, I meant for things like God Hand, or Midland and Tuda. New comers to the series might be confused by all these terms.

Couldn't they just read the manga? It's pretty much all right there, at least anything that would end up in a glossary anyway.

Uriel

ranemaka13 said:
fuck newcomers.
I well rounded and sound answer. Screw the glossary idea. Just accurate translated manga will do fine.

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!

Lady Griffith said:

LG

The word inga is made up of two kanji - in, which means cause; and ka, which means result. Together they can mean fate or karma as well as cause and effect but, well, there's the specificness.

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!

Instead of a glossary put into the back of the comic book, they could do it like Ghost in the Shell which has side bars and asterisks (to important or confusing words) in the panel itself explaining the various terms and such...

It is likely that Dark Horse will do the same with Berserk... hopefully.

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!

Bok Choy [Stir-fried with Rice] said:
Instead of a glossary put into the back of the comic book, they could do it like Ghost in the Shell which has side bars and asterisks (to important or confusing words) in the panel itself explaining the various terms and such...

It is likely that Dark Horse will do the same with Berserk... hopefully.

Yeah, but... I thought those were Masamune's own notes. Is this not so?

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!

Makkuro said:
Yeah, but... I thought those were Masamune's own notes. Is this not so?

I think you're right but I liked the idea of placing terms which are deemed confusing or unfamiliar to the average person on the side bar. It doesn't distract from the story taking place within the panel and instead of flipping to the beginning/end of the comic book to look up the glossary, you can just look up the explanation of the term within the panel itself.

Anyhow, the concepts and names/places of the Berserk world aren't that complicated to warrent a glossary.

Bok Choy [Stir-fried with Rice] said:
Anyhow, the concepts and names/places of the Berserk world aren't that complicated to warrent a glossary.

this is what im saying.

Uriel

That was a fucking great interview. But the part that made me the happiest was:
Remember: censorship is boring; your mom is boring; ergo, censorship is your mom.​

I am really excited about the release now. THIS IS GOOD NEWS!

incognitoX

you fail me

Hopefully they'll plan on releasing after volume 3 of the manga..with luck it won't take forever to get up to volume 25.

Guts

Black Swordsman

anyone think that the sell of berserk would be slow at first, because it is based on the animation.

Top Bottom