Dark Horse - Berserk Manga information

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Re:Dark Horse Manga info please post here

I think that Walter should open a section for the Dark Horse version of Berserk if it will get past the three first issues: After all there will be a lot ( or at least I hope so) of new readers the will know Berserk thanks to the Dark Horse edition and for them our usual topics are spoiler.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...

Y'know, funny thing was, when I bought it from my local comic book shop, it wasn't in a shrink wrap.

I still don't have it. My local comic book store didn't have it. So then I went to Barnes and Nobles but they said that they would get it on the 28th. I went to Borders crossing my fingers hoping that they would have it but they were sold out. So I decided to get the second best thing Trigun Manga. I have to wait till the 28h to get Berserk oh well. :(

Franz

It's a dolphin.

What the hell is it with everybody and Trigun manga? I swear that between this place and thehawks.org, I hear so much about it.

That's what i'm saying, everycomic shop near me doesn't carry it because they dont carry graphic novels. and EVERY other place say they wont get it till the 28th. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHh

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?

I haven't been able to buy it yet either. No book stores nearby carry it and Amazon (which I broke down and ordered it from) says it isn't available yet. ???

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost

I tried Borders book store as they usually have a great selection of manga and then the local comic book shop and it wasn't there. I'm wondering if some stores are reluctant to carry it because it's so 'adult-oriented' if ya know what I mean.

LG

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?

It's possible that some places just didn't order it, not necessarily for any particular reason.

I am a little confused though. I looked around and Barnes & Noble doesn't have it either. They say it won't be out until Oct. 28, which makes no sense to me.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight

The only comments I really have about it so far are negative.. the typos (on what, like the second page? Geez..) the bad registration on the cutting of the pages (images going off the edge of the book, with too much white space in the middle.. not a big deal, no) and the bad reproduction of the cover image. Side by side, it's glaringly obvious. Even a color xerox of the old cover looks WAY better than this reproduction.. what's up with that? The interior art is printed slightly darker than the original as well, so you lose some of the details when things get all cross-hatchy and zip-tone-y.

Also, to my chagrin, the book is a liiiiittle too big to put the dustjacket from the original on it. heheh.

However, of course, it's nice to be able to read Berserk! I'll be buying them as long as they keep putting them out.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost

kimchan said:
It's possible that some places just didn't order it, not necessarily for any particular reason.

I am a little confused though. I looked around and Barnes & Noble doesn't have it either. They say it won't be out until Oct. 28, which makes no sense to me.

There's always a reason why a place doesn't order it. Maybe they felt it wouldn't sell or they thought it was too adult. Borders has so many manga I can't imagine why they wouldn't add Berserk to it.

If Barnes and Noble told you it wouldn't be out until October 28th they probably meant they wouldn't be carrying it til then, not that it was not 'out' yet.

LG

I ordered mine from Things from another world. They shipped it to me on the 24th. I am not expecting it for another 2 weeks. However, I went to one of the local comic book shops here in Germany and they had all the way up to volume 19 translated in German...

Btw, nice to meet you all. I have been viewing these boards for a couple months and finally decided to register.

H

Herald of Galactor

The local anime shop where I live sold out of it, and that's in the middle of the Bible Belt, so I doubt adult themes are the major reason for the delay. Given the critique Lithrael gave it, maybe they're trying to make a second printing to correct these errors. At least, I hope so...

Young_Animal

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Barnes and Nobles told me that they would be getting it on the 28th, and they never got it. They said none of their warehouses have it. I went to a local anime shop and they said that dark horse has to print more because they weren't expecting that many people to buy it. And I don't be able to get a copy for another 2 or 3 weeks. >:( And all the websites I have been to are either sold out or they still have it down to preorder

Yeah I went to Barnes & Nobles again yesterday and told me that they didn't have it yet. Dam how many copies did Darkhorse do they must have sold out fast on the internet leaving store retailers with nothing. >:(

P

psymont

stores like barnes and noble and borders didnt order many copies to begin with .... i asked .... they told me they only had one copy on its way at both stores! .... sad .... however, my local anime/comic/gaming store had tons .... has anyone read the blurb on the back .... isnt it amazing how any blurb can make something sound like total shit? .... i have been waiting so "rong"(get it? ha ha ha) for the chance to read berserk without a computer or a stack of papers in my other hand .... its a miracle! .... i just wish they would set speedy release dates :'( .... yeah, there were a few typos, but compared to the stuff we have been reading for years, it is pure uncut heroin .... ;)

yeah, i dont think many places were expecting to high a demand for Berserk. No place has even ordered it in my area, nor would they ever if i hadnt called the local comic shop and asked if hed get a copy. i have to get the specially ordered through him (no shipping and stuff).

Grifth

ZOMBIES they are everywere ....

just got it now. had to go out of my city to get it but its berserk! plus the shop would not have it if it werent the emails i send to them asking for it. ahhhh cool feeling reading berserk like a real book

i've been over the whole LA, OC and Riverside area and i still cant get the fuckin thing......and whats worse if i had just ordered it i would have it already but nooooo i didnt want to wait i wanted it now bah shows how much i know......sorry for the run on sentance it's just pissing me off.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!

I think you'll have the best luck at comic shops instead of the big bookstores.

Though I was lucky, I got the last copy on the release date at my local comic shop.

The only place I could find it was in a comic shop a few zipcodes away... picked up the last copy... for 40% off! They were having an 8th anniversary sale, imagine my surprise when they rang up the total as $9.06 :) Needless to say I perused the store a bit more and picked up a few other things.

It seems pretty good except the koka/koda mixup and the "after I send to hell" bits pointed out in the translation thread.. except for the fact that some of the panels seem to be trimmed a bit. A few times I noticed english chars unfinished and once an entire letter missing, sides of speech bubbles, katakana for background noises etc. I'm hoping they fix this and make the aspect of the ratio of it less boxy and more rectangular in height for future releases, tho that would look odd on my bookshelf.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!

I feel sorry for all you guys that are having so much trouble finding Berserk. You musn't have very good comic stores in your areas if no one is carrying it. The comic shop I frequent had like 10 copies when I picked mine up. Nevertheless, it really should not be this difficult to find. If a comic store in your area does not order Berserk for the store, they should easily be able to order it for you. Just ask them if you can look at the Previews catalog that Diamond Distributors puts out each month, and have them order Berserk through that catalog when it's listed.

I'm sure you could also easily special order Berserk through a chain store like Borders. As long as a book is not out of print and has an ISBN number, you can order anything. The ISBN for Vol. 1 is:ISBN 1-59307-020-9
You will find this book. It has a domestic release. It's not that hard. Expand your horizons and you will be successful. And be happy if they are doing a second print run. Maybe they'll correct the shit-ass printing job the first cover had.

Good luck!

Top Bottom