Has anyone else ONLY been following the DH releases?

Hatter

Not just with Berserk, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the web who doesn't read scanlations.
I know it's gonna take years for Berserk to catch up to the current point, but reading manga on my PC just doesn't compare to holding it in my hands. I can't experience it any other way. Plus, the DH translation is so excellent.

Obviously, if you want to discuss or read up on Berserk anywhere on the net, you're going to get spoiled; even though I've only read up to vol. 8, I still know all about the eclipse, and some of the current characters and storylines. It's unavoidable, I guess. Aside from a few things I wish I hadn't seen or found out about, knowing what's to come has definitely increased my admiration of Berserk... I can't wait to see all these developments take place.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for a forum or devoted thread just for unspoiled discussions of the DH releases...

Glad to hear you prefer the actual manga to scanlations. Especially since some of them have bad translations and spread a lot of misinformation in the US Berserk community. :miura:

I know what it's like waiting for DarkHorse to release the next Berserk volume once every 3 months; a real pain in the ass and a bit expensive for my taste. I stuck with their English release for a while until I got fed up with it and bought the latest volumes from Kinokuniya Bookstores.

I suggest if you're really itching for Berserk to shop there for the Japanese volumes and check out SK.net's translations/links to translations to them. Not all volumes translated, so it's you might have to stick with Dark Horse's release on those volumes or ask in the Assorted Translations section for assistance.

For being spoiled on certain events, that's unfortunate to hear that you didn't get to experience the story as it was actually being released, but at least you're looking forward to what's coming. You may want to avoid browsing this site if you don't want to be spoiled until the appropriate volumes are released in the US.

Hope this helps you.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hatter said:
Not just with Berserk, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the web who doesn't read scanlations.

Don't worry, there are others like you. You should be proud of it.

Hatter said:
Plus, the DH translation is so excellent.

Haha, well I think I prefer the ones we have here. :void:

Hatter said:
I suppose it would be too much to ask for a forum or devoted thread just for unspoiled discussions of the DH releases...

No, no, it's perfectly possible. From now on this thread can be dedicated to DH only discussions if you want, or you can create a new one.

Jhot obs said:
I suggest if you're really itching for Berserk to shop there for the Japanese volumes and check out SK.net's translations/links to translations to them. Not all volumes translated, so it's you might have to stick with Dark Horse's release on those volumes or ask in the Assorted Translations section for assistance.

I've got translations for volumes that aren't listed on the site if needed. They're old and not perfect it's better than nothing.

The only thing i dislike about darkhorse is the fat that they dont keep up with the japanese releases, i wish they would hurry up, and i'm sure i'm not the only one on this site who has this opinion!!

The Tricksta

I have bought all the volumes dark horse has put out, i will buy all the volumes they put out but i also downloaded all the volumes from the internet. I havent read them yet im still on volume 7, its weak that DH takes so long to publish berserk.

R

-rob-

DarkHorse is about to get really good... Couple more weeks and the greatest charector in Berserk will be introduced. (Silat)

You're not alone Hatter, I've also been reading only the Dark Horse version.  I really wouldn't mind reading it off my screen, but I wait for DH because I want to experience it with the highest quality printing and translation.  The 'scanlations' available online just don't cut it.

It is difficult to discuss Berserk online while avoiding spoilers; I agree there should be a forum or thread dedicated to those of us following the Dark Horse releases.  I lurk around these boards sometimes, but I never have much to add to conversations about current episodes.

Aazealh:  I'd love to get ahold of translations for the episodes missing from this site.  I've held off ordering the original manga due to incomplete translations, if I knew there was a full translation available I would have bought the whole series a long time ago.  I'm surprised you haven't posted what you have on the site, even if they're not perfect.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Frog said:
I wait for DH because I want to experience it with the highest quality printing and translation.

Hmm, from what I heard their volumes aren't the highest quality printing and translation you know. But you're right, it's always better than scanlations, that can't be argued.

Frog said:
It is difficult to discuss Berserk online while avoiding spoilers; I agree there should be a forum or thread dedicated to those of us following the Dark Horse releases. I lurk around these boards sometimes, but I never have much to add to conversations about current episodes.

Like I told Hatter, if you want a special thread, just make it. I went ahead and created one, so all DH only discussions can go in it. http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=4957.0

Frog said:
I'd love to get ahold of translations for the episodes missing from this site.

They just aren't listed in the manga section of the Encyclopedia, it doesn't mean they've never been posted or linked on the forum. It's mostly old stuff by Eirias and some parts from various other sources. Stuff I don't recommend people to base themselves on so... Besides, we don't host certain parts of Eirias' work because he asked us not to.

i have DH volumes 1-8, and I remember a few of the pages the letters were cut off. Like it would be missing 1 letter of the word, and things like that.

Still readable, but meh, I'd expect it to at least get all of the words into the page.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
gh-zodd said:
i have DH volumes 1-8, and I remember a few of the pages the letters were cut off. Like it would be missing 1 letter of the word, and things like that.

Still readable, but meh, I'd expect it to at least get all of the words into the page.
It's problems like this that make me wish Viz had obtained the rights to Berserk. They do a great job with Vagabond's volumes, near-flawless.

D

darkbane

I certainly like to buy and read actual volumes, it's nice to hold something concrete in your hands instead of scrolling it on the screen... BUT: After reading a volume once or twice, I sometimes go back to scanlations, because I usually damage the bindings when I read the volumes. With something like berserk, which I read over and over, that is no good. I had this problem before with kenshin, all my ruroken volumes are badly damaged, with pages falling out by the dozen, so I wanted to avoid it in the future.

As for avoiding the storyline in scanlations and only following the one in the bookstore, that's something I can't relate to. Fortunately the german publishers are closely behind the japanese ones, I could never deal with being stuck on volume 9 in berserk right now - I'm the type that reads spoilers and sometimes flips to the back of a novel (or manga) to find out the ending, heh. So if you manage to stay spoiler-free, good for you, but I cannot see what one would get out of it except for anxiety. *grin*

Top Bottom