Anime vs Manga - The Official Battle Thread

R

-rob-

Thread title explains itself basically.. Feel free to add on... If I forgot anything please feel free to add that in too.....

-----------

Guts vs Snake Tyrant - Anime

Guts vs Bazuso - Tie

Guts vs Griffith (On the hill) - Anime

The Hawks vs Zodd - Tie (Action was better in the Anime, but in the Manga I liked how EVERYONE was sent in and not just Griffith with a few lower ranked soldiers)

Guts vs 100 men - Anime (I loved the stand off the most before the fighting even began)

The Casca vs Adon fights - Tie

Guts vs Boscogne - Manga (Anime seemed rushed and was nowhere near as intense as the Manga)

Guts in the tournament - Manga (Obviously... He battled Silatt!)

Guts return to the Hawks during the enemy raid - Manga (Obviously, it had Silatt in it!)

The Hawks rescue of Griffith - Manga

The Eclipse - Manga

------

Overall = Manga (5-3)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Guts vs. Snake Tyrant - Anime

Guts vs. Bazuso - Manga (with head exploding action!)

Guts vs. Griffith - Manga

Guts vs. Zodd (before Griff joins in) - Manga

Guts vs. 100 men - (Tie)

Casca vs. Adon - Anime

Guts vs. Boscogne - Manga

Guts in the tournament - Manga

Guts returning to the Hawks - Manga

The Hawks rescue of Griffith - Manga

The Eclipse - Manga

Was there any doubt who would win? Manga (8 - 2) :chomp:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The manga is better in every regard, and the battle with the Snake Baron isn't an exception to me, it also makes more sense as far as the continuity goes. I don't see how the action is better in any scene of the anime... It's just animated, and there's music. If anything the soundtrack is the anime's strong point, and that can't be a criteria here.

Well the Manga is all around better than the Anime such as there being the full story with nothing cut out. But, certain parts of Berserk are better animated, because you can add extra emotions to the scenes with the music, such as some of the Hawks raids.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Guts vs. Wyald
OH WAIT! They cut that out of the anime!
WOW! THE MANGA IS FAR SUPERIOR!
I do have to give the anime respect though, without it I would have never gotten into Berserk. I like both but theres just something about the black and white that I find beautiful. To each his own.

I actually found the fight against the Snake baron better in the manga. THat's because in the anime, this fight feels a bit rushed. Just to comment on what everyone has said, everything is better in the manga. That is because in the manga everything is drawn more detailed and the blood and everything is 2 times or more bloody and gorey in the manga.

R

-rob-

Rhombaad said:
Was there any doubt who would win? Manga (8 - 2) :chomp:

LOL... Good point!

You guys gotta atleast credit the Anime for that cool sidestory battle in Episode 8 though... Right?

I only preferred 2 scenes from the Anime over the Manga.
When Griffith is given the title of "White" in the Midland army and he doesn't seem overly happy about it until he notices Guts is happy for him, just a really nice part.
I think a part of that for me was the music playing... it went really well with the scene

Oh and when Guts gets shot in the hand with an arrow, he breaks it in his hand and smirks, classic moment. I'll give every other moment to the Manga and that includes the action scenes like Zodd and The Snake Baron.

Just because they are in motion they are still done incredibly poorly (obviously the animations fault) but Miura's drawn action choreography on paper is on of the best i've ever come across in any Manga. Quite frankly because of that my mind can put it together better than bearing witness to the poor quality anime fight scenes.

I guess that would mean for me Manga 99.9% and the Anime at 00.1% ;)

T

T.portal-G.

I enjoyed the non-action scenes more in the Anime than in the manga. Scenes like when the hawks drag guts to drink with them, the camp fire of dreams, the love scene between guts and caska, and when its snowing out side and caska holds guts broken sword that he left behind. Seeing those scenes in motion and with music makes me happy. But as for the action the manga is far more better. The manga also goes into more detail with the loves scenes aswell. But i would perfer the anime style with love scenes to the manga otherwise i would be watching and have to turn down the volume. The manga is perfect the way its done though.

Favorite battle scene when guts breaks down the door of the torture room, kills the torturer and kill all the soldiers while running up the spiral stairs of the tower. I think the anime does a good job with that scene. Perfect.

There's no point debating it, true believers: the manga > the anime. :miura:

T.portal-G. said:
The manga also goes into more detail with the loves scenes aswell.  But i would perfer the anime style with love scenes to the manga otherwise i would be watching and have to turn down the volume.

No kidding. Bow chicka bow wow~! :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
To be honest I really liked the way the anime did the love scene.  The same scene in the manga was great, too (honestly one of my favorite parts).  Both were handled very differently, though.  Either way, although I knew the Eclipse was coming, that scene still gave me hope for those two crazy kids.  I'm still bettin' it'll work out in the end. :guts: :casca:

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Manga > Anime, no questions asked. Yes, I can see the Anime-Lovers point to a certain degree. Example: It's nice to see Berserk in motion. It doesn't mean it's better, but it's just nice to have anything Berserk created. :badbone:

Ko Ninja said:
Manga > Anime, no questions asked.   Yes, I can see the Anime-Lovers point to a certain degree.  Example: It's nice to see Berserk in motion.

Or in motion some of the time; the Zodd and Boscone fights had a lot of still frames. It felt akin to watching the really old Incredible Hulk cartoon, you know, like the producers were holding the comic up in front of the camera. Oooh, I feel a parody song coming on... :troll:

Nosferatu
Picked up a Beherit
Turned into the Zodd
Thanks to the Hand of God~!

Plowing thru troops with
Two horns just like a bull's
And he's immortal
He's the unstoppable~
And ever-lovin' Zodd!
ZODD! ZODD! :zodd:

I remind you guys that the anime has some decided benefits that the manga honestly can't match.

What is this magic thing you say?

The Music!

Duh!

I will admit that I am bitterly disappointed that the Count fight didn't occur in the anime. Honestly, comparing the two is something of a misnomer since Berserk manga is written like an anime really. Fluid action and movement in the art. Also, the anime is extraordinarily faithful in its depiction largely. Perhaps too faithful. I would have preferred a different reason for Gambino's death necessity than the alluded to prostitution of Guts in the anime.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
If the anime was done better, and completely accurate to the manga.. it would own everything, including the manga. Most things are just better in motion.

As it is though, the manga is obviously better then the anime.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
When Griffith is given the title of "White" in the Midland army and he doesn't seem overly happy about it until he notices Guts is happy for him, just a really nice part.

Well, that's in the manga too (though without the music, obviously).

willowhugger said:
I remind you guys that the anime has some decided benefits that the manga honestly can't match.

Great reminder.

Aazealh said:
If anything the soundtrack is the anime's strong point, and that can't be a criteria here.

You can always listen to music while reading the manga. :zodd:

willowhugger said:
Also, the anime is extraordinarily faithful in its depiction largely.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. It didn't bring anything new besides stupid and unnecessary battles with Adon, but they still did cut left and right in the storyline when they felt it was needed. Actually, Miura couldn't supervise the project (which he apparently didn't like anyway), but he sent them a lot of corrections for everything basically, that's probably why the anime is that close to the manga.

DarkDragoon said:
Most things are just better in motion.

That's debatable IMO.

I still love the anime, but I love the manga more in every possible. The anime was definately faithful in terms of art, but it just couldn't capture all of the detail Miura puts into the manga. The eclipse is a perfect example of this. While I think it was done well in the anime, the movement, color, and music still couldn't capture the emotion that was conveyed in the manga, especially certain panels showing Gut's face in a complete state of rage, to the point where he looked just as evil as the demons around him. Stuff like that is what makes me love the manga so much.

*hums Forces* It really is tough to beat the music, though. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HitokiriNate85 said:
The anime was definately faithful in terms of art, but it just couldn't capture all of the detail Miura puts into the manga.

Faithful art-wise? I don't really think so... The character design is different and not nearly as good in the anime.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Well, I must say that the anime had great outtakes, although I'm dissapointed Griffith's English VA didn't sing "Closer" at the Eclipse.

Though i've never seen the Anime, I cannot imagine that it's better than the Manga. When Guts is in the eclipse, that was so AWESOME!!!!!! Holy hell! Nosferatu Zodd, the first encounter I got up from my computer (i have berserk on my comp) and said aloud
"HOLY SHIT, THAT WAS AWESOME!" Yeah, manga, i find, is almost always better. Except in Cowboy Bebop.

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Despite it's many faults and lack of events that happens in the manga, there's one thing I do like about the anime through and that is tha tit fleshens out the legend of the Taka no Dan a bit, as it shows more of it's achievement thna the manga. Sure, the takeover of Doldrey was the crown archievement of Taka no Dan, yet without too seeing all THAT much of their archievements (in the manga, just MHO) the "incredibility" of taka no dan seems a bit... thin if compared to the anime.

However,that's pretty much the only really good point I can come to think of with the anime
embarassedlaugh.gif

Top Bottom