Anime vs Manga - The Official Battle Thread

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
there's one thing I do like about the anime through and that is tha tit fleshens out the legend of the Taka no Dan a bit, as it shows more of it's achievement thna the manga.

What exactly does it show that isn't in the manga, aside from ridiculous and pointless battles with Adon?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Dark Wanderer said:
Despite it's many faults and lack of events that happens in the manga,

Do you mean the anime?

Plus there are no events of significance that happen in the anime that didn't happen in the manga. The attack on Adon's fort is filler.
Hardly a challenge or crowning achievement.

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Aazealh said:
What exactly does it show that isn't in the manga, aside from ridiculous and pointless battles with Adon?

The supply base episode is rather pointless, yeah, through I don't think so regarding the attack on that fortress... (throguh thye might as well have left that good-for-nothing Adon out of the picture).

CnC said:
Do you mean the anime?

Yes, I meant the anime lacks plenty o events from the manga, yes...

Plus there are no events of significance that happen in the anime that didn't happen in the manga. The attack on Adon's fort is filler.
Hardly a challenge or crowning achievement.

I didn't say it was a challenge to it. I just said i felt that it helped fleshen out the legend of the Taka no Dan. I partly mean: Before Doldrey, were we shown that mcuh of the Taka no dan successes? We did hear of them, yes, or see them in the background. Still, the attack on that fortress (and later Doldrey itself) makes it among other things a bit more understandable (and believeable) why Taka no Dan was so successful.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
The supply base episode is rather pointless, yeah

It doesn't even last an episode actually, just a half. Filler before the Zodd encounter.

Dark Wanderer said:
through I don't think so regarding the attack on that fortress... (throguh thye might as well have left that good-for-nothing Adon out of the picture).

And what exactly isn't pointless in it? Taking a random useless fort from Adon (control the bridge? :schierke:), whoa, what an accomplishment! Only the best could manage it! That one battle sure fleshens the Hawks' reputation!

Dark Wanderer said:
I didn't say it was a challenge to it. I just said i felt that it helped fleshen out the legend of the Taka no Dan.

It fleshens out a legend made of cheap, unremarkable victories? That's what you're saying, right?

Dark Wanderer said:
Before Doldrey, were we shown that mcuh of the Taka no dan successes? We did hear of them, yes, or see them in the background. Still, the attack on that fortress (and later Doldrey itself) makes it among other things a bit more understandable (and believeable) why Taka no Dan was so successful.

How exactly does it make it more understandable? Because the enemy leader is a coward and an idiot, without any tactical or strategical abilities whatsoever? It just depicts the Hawks as fighting incompetent people, tarnishing their own greatness rather than leaving it up to the reader's imagination.

I prefer to see references to it here and there while the plot moves forward; that what legends are all about, legendary achievements that you hear of but don't see.

Dark Wanderer

Aazealh said:
And what exactly isn't pointless in it? Taking a random useless fort from Adon (control the bridge? :schierke:), whoa, what an accomplishment! Only the best could manage it! That one battle sure fleshens the Hawks' reputation!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the fortress was actually rather important - a pathway straight into the heart of Tudor (as my episode translated it,t horugh as it is an old fansub, it could very well be wrong, I suppose... If anyone with better knowledge in japeanse or at least is better "equipped" - being hearing impared, I can't hear what's being said in the episode for myself, so no way for me to check for myself - knows better, then please do telll me so) and with a superior strategic position too, making it hard for an enemy to take it directly without considerable losses.

It fleshens out a legend made of cheap, unremarkable victories? That's what you're saying, right?

I hear sarcasm ^_-. IMHO, what you say is true for the supply base, but I have doubt about ti being the same for the fortess. Of course, I can that since the one in command of it was quite a bit of an idiot

How exactly does it make it more understandable? Because the enemy leader is a coward and an idiot, without any tactical or strategical abilities whatsoever? It just depicts the Hawks as fighting incompetent people, tarnishing their own greatness rather than leaving it up to the reader's imagination.

As I alreaay said: Okay iI can agree that at last Adon being in command makes the whole aprt of it a bit doubtworthy. Still.. <_<;;

I prefer to see references to it here and there while the plot moves forward; that what legends are all about, legendary achievements that you hear of but don't see.

Okay, point taken I suppose. But I still think the fortress-epsiode wasn't a total waste :p. But that's just MHO <_<.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Dark Wanderer said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the fortress was actually rather important - a pathway straight into the heart of Tudor (as my episode translated it,t horugh as it is an old fansub, it could very well be wrong, I suppose... If anyone with better knowledge in japeanse or at least is better "equipped" - being hearing impared, I can't hear what's being said in the episode for myself, so no way for me to check for myself - knows better, then please do telll me so) and with a superior strategic position too, making it hard for an enemy to take it directly without considerable losses.

If you felt the filler content somehow made the war against Tudor more fleshed out or made the hawks victory at Doldrey more significant, well then who am I to try to change that opinion?
However I will argue that the war against Tudor was merely a setting in which our main characters could develop. The actual battles that envolved character development were in the manga. The battles against Adons forts merely moved the characters along.

Dark Wanderer

CnC said:
If you felt the filler content somehow made the war against Tudor more fleshed out or made the hawks victory at Doldrey more significant, well then who am I to try to change that opinion?

Well, how you sumarize it isn't quite my opinion of that episode, but close enough, I guess. At least, the "fleshing out the war" part fits :).

However I will argue that the war against Tudor was merely a setting in which our main characters could develop.  The actual battles that envolved character development were in the manga.  The battles against Adons forts merely moved the characters along.

Of course I know this :). It was a period in which we saw the characters develop and also learnt to know them (thorugh sadly, we also lost most of those we learnt to know at the Eclipse T_T). But the stage of the past is over and we're right now in the stage that Miura prepared for with all the background so far :).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That episode does more to solidify Adon's stupidity rather than promote Griffith and the Hawks' military competence. The whole thing is a mess, and should be guillotined or left for dead.

But... I guess it's a great ep if you're a fan of Adon fan fiction? Dark Wanderer... you're not...? Oh, god. RUN.

Dark Wanderer

Walter said:
That episode does more to solidify Adon's stupidity rather than promote Griffith and the Hawks' military competence.  The whole thing is a mess, and should be guillotined or left for dead.

But... I guess it's a great ep if you're a fan of Adon fan fiction? Dark Wanderer... you're not...? Oh, god. RUN.

::) Don't be stupid, Walter ^_-. I'm not... I may just have a differnet opinion on that episode :p. but don't misunderstand, I _overall_ agree that the anime's far inferior to the manga ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
::) Don't be stupid, Walter ^_-. I'm not... I may just have a differnet opinion on that episode :p. but don't misunderstand, I _overall_ agree that the anime's far inferior to the manga ;)
Geez, that sure is a lot of emoticons for one post. And they range from graphic to textual too. So, I take it you're being sarcastic, and that you actually DO like Adon? You're weird.

PS: Don't be stupid.

Dark Wanderer

Walter said:
Geez, that sure is a lot of emoticons for one post. And they range from graphic to textual too.

Well, I like to use emoticans. not all were offered on this board through, so I had to use what there was.

So, I take it you're being sarcastic, and that you actually DO like Adon? You're weird.
PS: Don't be stupid.

Heh! Well, wiredness is half of my life, so no offense taken ;). Through I'll still say that I don't like Adon, but I suppsoe that I can pretend to if it makes you any happier? ::) <--- very sarcastic, for reference.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the fortress was actually rather important - a pathway straight into the heart of Tudor

No, it's just a fort guarding a bridge that's on the way to Doldrey, that's how they put it. But of course, for dramatic purpose that bridge is like the only one on earth and Tudor uses it to "launch its attacks", while before it was used by Midland to transport troops. Basically it's a subpar Doldrey, making Doldrey itself a mere rehash.

Dark Wanderer said:
IMHO, what you say is true for the supply base, but I have doubt about ti being the same for the fortess. Of course, I can that since the one in command of it was quite a bit of an idiot

Yeah, an idiot that actually makes errors that even grunts in his army warned him against, and these errors he makes are the reason they lose the fort. It's because of him, if he had left troops to guard both sides of the fort it wouldn't have happened. Winning because your adversaries are stupid isn't something you take pride in.

Dark Wanderer said:
Okay iI can agree that at last Adon being in command makes the whole aprt of it a bit doubtworthy. Still.. <_<;;

Still what?

Dark Wanderer said:
Okay, point taken I suppose. But I still think the fortress-epsiode wasn't a total waste :p. But that's just MHO <_<.

Hehe, ok. I'm not going to discuss your personal tastes. :serpico:

Dark Wanderer

Aazealh said:
No, it's just a fort guarding a bridge that's on the way to Doldrey, that's how they put it. But of course, for dramatic purpose that bridge is like the only one on earth and Tudor uses it to "launch its attacks", while before it was used by Midland to transport troops. Basically it's a subpar Doldrey, making Doldrey itself a mere rehash.

I see. Well, then the situation becomes a bit clearer...

Yeah, an idiot that actually makes errors that even grunts in his army warned him against, and these errors he makes are the reason they lose the fort. It's because of him, if he had left troops to guard both sides of the fort it wouldn't have happened. Winning because your adversaries are stupid isn't something you take pride in.

Right, through I suppose Griffith still was grateful for the fact that he was in command and thus making there work so much easier XD.

Still what?

Still, through Adon wasn't much of a worthy adversary for Griffith, it's still the result of the work that counts, ne? :puck:. And it isn't like most people'd ever know that that fortress was lost because an idiot commanded it XD.

Hehe, ok. I'm not going to discuss your personal tastes. :serpico:

Better left that way, I think. I'm already being out-sarcasted by Walter so perhaps here is an as good point as any to put an end to my opinion of the anime :void:

Personally I too was disappointed about the anime because of the way many events and battles were skipped. There was already a lot of action in the show, so the lack of bloodshed was not really a problem, but Skullknight wasn't even mentionned, letting you believe that at the end of the last episode everything's over.
The biggest disappointment for me was the whole part with Wyald which was completely skipped. It's probably my favorite part of the manga so far, and that was a real let-down.

Didn't like the soundtrack? wow, I loved it, espeically Forces, the raid/battle scene music, but ya they left way too much out of the anime.

All right, children.  I've been forced to register just to weigh in on this oft-invoked but seldom appreciated topic.  The difference between the anime and the manga is that they focus on different things: the anime focuses on patiently and thoroughly DEMONSTRATING, rather than just taking for granted: 1) Griffith's tactical brilliance; and 2) the nuanced relationship between the focal characters, anchored by mutual respect and a common admiration of Griffith as a commander.  To that end, the seige on the arsenal and the taking of Ft. Brax serve beautifully.  To those who think they're "pointless," you weren't paying attention.  The writers conceived, from scratch, mind you, wonderful and resourceful ploys to illustrate exactly why Griffith deserves the respect of Midland's nobility, and more importantly, his men.  Showing the objectives they acheive together deepens the sense of cameraderie, in turn deepening the sense of betrayal at the moment of Griffith's transformation.  There is a key image of Griffith and Guts slyly eyeing each other through the fray during the taking of the armory which serves as the key moment of visceral bond between the increasingly interdependent personalities.  (It's also evocative of the recurrent visual of Spike and Vicious, smirking back-to-back, but that's a whole different analysis...)
The manga, on the other hand, glosses over all this in order to rush to all the bizarro supernatural shit: Skull Knight, the Great Eclipse, etc.  The character development is to a large part assumed--the reader is expected to just buy into Griffith's reputation without any proof, and the Hawk's team spirit without much exposition.
From a grown-up's perspective, the anime is clearly far more interesting and sophisticated.  (Kids, however, will probably find all the tactics and character development boring and, indeed, "pointless".)  Furthermore, anything left out was done so for good purpose, and could easily be compensated for in the dreamed-of Season 2: Puck can easily be introduced at the onset of the Duke Arc, and there's no necessity for Guts' encounter with Skull Knight prior to being rescued from the Eclipse.  But remember, what's really important about the Golden Age arc is EXPANDED, not truncated, by the anime.  Subtle and beautiful details are used all over to flesh out the world and the characters: Corkus' deep cowardice, Judeau's conciliatory maneuvering, and Guts' motives (or endemic lack thereof): remember the "Sparks" episode, inserted into Guts' sabbatical in the anime, where the manga only has him jaunt off for one tournament which somehow takes a year, before returning unrounded?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Mr. Id said:
All right, children. I've been forced to register just to weigh in on this oft-invoked but seldom appreciated topic.

Welcome. Sorry to hear you were forced to join :schierke:. I'm sure whoever twisted your arm did so to our benefit.

Mr. Id said:
The difference between the anime and the manga is that they focus on different things: the anime focuses on patiently and thoroughly DEMONSTRATING, rather than just taking for granted: 1) Griffith's tactical brilliance; and 2) the nuanced relationship between the focal characters, anchored by mutual respect and a common admiration of Griffith as a commander. To that end, the seige on the arsenal and the taking of Ft. Brax serve beautifully. To those who think they're "pointless," you weren't paying attention.

The further exploration of Griffith's tactical genious was done in great and more than sufficient detail in the manga. Griffith's ability to win a battle was shown (his cunning) in depth twice in the manga (I'm speaking of the battles where his strategy is an important aspect of the story). This includes Guts' first battle with the hawks, which was done to demonstrate Griffith's ability to Guts, and the battle at Doldrey, which was done to end the war. There really isn't any more need to show Griffith in battle. It can be argued that the fort explosion battle makes Griffith look stupid as he did not forsee the idea that they might detonate their munitions.
Now the more IMPORTANT aspects of Griffith as a tactician were shown not on the battlefield, but in the political scene. Through assassination attempts and power plays, it was Griffith's rise among the nobility which was more crucial to the story. It was this aspect which created the tension among the other nobles, NOT how well he did in battle.
Now as far as character development is concerned, the characters don't evolve in these filler episodes. In fact, any "development" is mirrored in other scenes. Casca's change in attitude towards Guts happens when Guts kills 100 men, and what happens in the fort battle only mirrors this rather than develop it. Corkus' character is also not developed at all, rather he's just acting out of dislike/jealousy of Guts just like usual. And I completely fail to see how you think Judo evolved as a character during these filler episodes.

Mr. Id said:
The manga, on the other hand, glosses over all this in order to rush to all the bizarro supernatural shit: Skull Knight, the Great Eclipse, etc.

THATS the berserk world. If you don't like the "bizarro supernatural shit", you're looking at the wrong story. Sorry.

The rest of your post hints at the idea that you haven't even read the manga. Is this the case?
If so you're hardly qualified to make a comparison, "grown-up" perspective or not.

But why not, we'll go over your examples, just for shits and giggles.

Mr. Id said:
Furthermore, anything left out was done so for good purpose, and could easily be compensated for in the dreamed-of Season 2: Puck can easily be introduced at the onset of the Duke Arc

I'm going to assume you're talking about the Snake Baron. This wasn't an "arc". I could see the "Lost children" chapter, as that pertains to elves, but the fact is that Puck is a part of the story even in Golden Age, as its his dust which Judo has and gives to Casca.

Mr. Id said:
and there's no necessity for Guts' encounter with Skull Knight prior to being rescued from the Eclipse.

Well, thats highly debateable. I suppose you would think it normal for a random character to just "appear" and save Guts and Casca from the eclipse, and have it that he was the one who saved Rickert as well, but his introduction at the campfire not only instilled a foreshadowing of the events to come but also gave SK prescence of being not of this world.

Mr. Id said:
But remember, what's really important about the Golden Age arc is EXPANDED, not truncated, by the anime.

Sorry... but thats just wrong. If you had read the manga you'd have remembered the tower of retribution/wyald scenes. Not only are they an expansion of what happened in the anime, they actually included character development of all the characters involved. Now, I ask you, how was Pippin's character expanded apon in the anime but not in the manga?
Answer, Pippin' a walking piece of wood in the anime. Barely even there.

Mr. Id said:
remember the "Sparks" episode, inserted into Guts' sabbatical in the anime, where the manga only has him jaunt off for one tournament which somehow takes a year, before returning unrounded?

The "sparks" episode you refer to was in the manga you didn't read. I'll help you out: Its during the conversation between Casca and Guts after they had sex. You know, the part where their relationship must have been truncated.

By "The Duke," I'm referring to the Duke (see: Slug Monster Guy who dominated his own 3-volume arc at the beginning of the manga).  I'm not sure that a Season 2 would even see fit to tackle this matter, but Puck could get thrown in at the scene where Guts witnesses the execution, for instance, or later during the Millenium Falcon arc.  Whatever.  Puck is kind of annoying anyway, and it doesn't matter which annoying elf gave Judeau his pixie-dust.

I haven't read the manga episode right after Guts and Caska's first tryst, true.  That volume is getting released in January.  Touche, sir.

However, I wasn't referring to your so-called "filler episodes" regarding the overall character development.  A lot of brief exchanges are sprinkled throughout the series to bolster the character paths (see, for instance, the anticipation leading up to the assault on Doldrey).

And it is indeed also true that I have no knowledge of Wyald, or Pippin's related character development.  Looking forward to finding out about it.  But so far, the manga-exclusive character lines have been silly and predictable, at best (the Queen's affair with Julius) and labored and over-the-top goofy at worst (the King's incestuous assault on Princess Charlotte).  I'd much rather see the specs on how Griffith single-handedly advances and resolves the Hundred-Year War, than see how many love-permutations and fimilial aberrations Miura can stuff into a story. :miura:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mr. Id said:
By "The Duke," I'm referring to the Duke

He's a count, not a duke. Your previous post is very offensive, redundant, wrong in its entirety and its only achievement is to ridicule you as a vain man veiling his ignorance under puerile vehemence.

I'd advise you to edit your posts and apologize if you plan on a good start here.

Mr. Id said:
Puck is kind of annoying anyway, and it doesn't matter which annoying elf gave Judeau his pixie-dust.

Yeah, bad start indeed.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Mr. Id said:
I haven't read the manga episode right after Guts and Casca's first tryst, true. That volume is getting released in January. Touche, sir.

And yet you still felt you had enough information to compare the two. And unless the Count is called "the Duke" in the english translation, it seems what you HAVE "read" you didn't read.

Mr. Id said:
However, I wasn't referring to your so-called "filler episodes" regarding the overall character development. A lot of brief exchanges are sprinkled throughout the series to bolster the character paths (see, for instance, the anticipation leading up to the assault on Doldrey).

Cite examples. And please, tell me how these emotions are NOT conveyed in the manga.

Mr. Id said:
But so far, the manga-exclusive character lines have been silly and predictable, at best (the Queen's affair with Julius) and labored and over-the-top goofy at worst (the King's incestuous assault on Princess Charlotte). I'd much rather see the specs on how Griffith single-handedly advances and resolves the Hundred-Year War, than see how many love-permutations and fimilial aberrations Miura can stuff into a story. :miura:

I see, so the aspects which WEREN'T part of the "supernatural shit" you so despised in the story are comical?

This doesn't seem to be for you, buddy. You wanted a war story and you got a fantasy character drama, seems your SOL. I'm sure there are many stories out there which only have to do with wooden characters fighting each other battle after battle, with ever present examples of their tactical prowess where you'd feel more at home.

In the end, yes, its your opinion (don't feel bad for having it) that the anime is better. But the examples you've provided are poor and uninformed to say the least. If you do wish to continue in this community, at least back up your opinions with the facts that brought you to them. And if you are to continue posting on this thread, read the fuckin' manga.

How can my post ridicule me?  (It could, hypothetically, SERVE to do so, or maybe EXPOSE me, but it has no will of its own)  And why would I try to veil anything under anything puerile?

And, I'm not that vehement.  I'm nowhere near as sensitive as you guys.  "Very offensive"?  To whom, elves?  "Redundant"?  Maybe if you read it twice.
"Wrong in its entirety"?  Now that's where I draw that line.  At least CnC had something to say in response.

I think this thread should focus on the more important aspect of this debate (such as it is).  Why do the people on this board feel so deeply invested in chauvinistically praising the manga and denigrating the anime?  It it simply a primacy effect?  Is it that they feel the manga is "purer," or that its smaller market makes it more hip to prefer (the underground bands getting called 'sell-outs' effect)?
I think it's a bit of both, but that the latter is the more prominent factor.  But it doesn't explain why you take it soooooo personally.

Anyway, the character designs are better in the anime, too. :guts:

Edit: To CnC, music factory - No, the anime gave me exactly what I wanted, a nuanced, character-driven epic. I just hope the scriptwriters can emphasize the sophisticated aspects and excise the overreaching goofiness as effectively and economically for any upcoming animated installments as they did for Season 1.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mr. Id said:
How can my post ridicule me?

By existing.

Mr. Id said:
And why would I try to veil anything under anything puerile?

You tell me.

Mr. Id said:
And, I'm not that vehement. I'm nowhere near as sensitive as you guys. "Very offensive"? To whom, elves? "Redundant"? Maybe if you read it twice.
"Wrong in its entirety"? Now that's where I draw that line. At least CnC had something to say in response.

I'm not sensitive either, so it's all good, we can play a bit. Your posts are offensive to any person disagreeing with you, and redundant because none of what you say adds anything to what was already mentioned in this thread (please pay attention in the future). At least Dark Wanderer was concise, you're just pompous and long-winded. You didn't disprove what other people said in previous posts either, nor even what's in CnC's responses, so it's not like anybody should bother answering your trollish ramblings. It's pretty much a waste of time to try to educate someone like you.

Mr. Id said:
I think this thread should focus on the more important aspect of this debate (such as it is).

What you think is of no importance.

Mr. Id said:
Why do the people on this board feel so deeply invested in chauvinistically praising the manga and denigrating the anime?

It's just all around better, it's pretty simple. Nobody's especially invested in denigrating the anime, it's just not very good. Oh and you should know that the manga has a much, much wider market than the anime, generates a lot more money and sells more in general.

Mr. Id said:
But it doesn't explain why you take it soooooo personally.

Nobody's taking it personally, or are you?

Mr. Id said:
Anyway, the character designs are better in the anime, too.

So you have bad taste as well as being ignorant, not a surprise.

Mr. Id said:
I just hope the scriptwriters can emphasize the sophisticated aspects and excise the overreaching goofiness as effectively and economically for any upcoming animated installments as they did for Season 1.

Looks like you're not aware of how the anime was produced. Typical really. Oh, and you haven't answered any of CnC's points, I guess that's your last word then?

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'll respond to him anyway, aaz. :guts:

Mr. Id said:
I just hope the scriptwriters can emphasize the sophisticated aspects and excise the overreaching goofiness as effectively and economically for any upcoming animated installments as they did for Season 1.

Firstly, I hope this doesn't burst your bubble. But there is no, nor are there any plans for, a second season. So trying to judge the anime on what could happen is pointless as there is nothing else. The anime is what it is.

Mr. Id said:
I think this thread should focus on the more important aspect of this debate (such as it is).

Which is?

Mr. Id said:
Why do the people on this board feel so deeply invested in chauvinistically praising the manga and denigrating the anime? It it simply a primacy effect? Is it that they feel the manga is "purer," or that its smaller market makes it more hip to prefer (the underground bands getting called 'sell-outs' effect)?

What are you even talking about, here? Your improper usage of "chauvinistic" aside, there really isn't much of an argument that your putting forth (which is what Aaz said, basically). The anime is a summary and is based on the manga. Its the source material, comparing the two as seperate entities is pointless as one aspires to represent the other. Its not like Miura said, "Here's my story, do what you want to it and improve it if you can".

Top Bottom