Roderick

R

-rob-

I know it's a long shot, but anyone think there is a possibilty he could join up with "Team Guts" on there journey?

I can't hate him, in 259-261 he had a lot more heart then most (not everyone) when the tigers came. Gotta credit him for that.

-rob- said:
I know it's a long shot, but anyone think there is a possibilty he could join up with "Team Guts" on there journey?

I can't hate him, in 259-261 he had a lot more heart then most (not everyone) when the tigers came. Gotta credit him for that.
The more I think of it, the more I do see him tagging along with them. There was that little talk he had with Magnifico in episode 254 about pioneering the sea and reaching new lands got me thinking he wouldn't mind taking a trip with Farnese to Elfhelm.

Roderick strikes me as an independent kind of man (trying to fight the tigers by himself) albeit a bit strange (talk about roses and lilies with Farnese). He said he was disowned by his country, (even though he's 3rd in line for the Ys) so maybe he'll be manning the ship the group takes if they ever get one.

R

-rob-

Jhot obs said:
The more I think of it, the more I do see him tagging along with them. There was that little talk he had with Magnifico in episode 254 about pioneering the sea and reaching new lands got me thinking he wouldn't mind taking a trip with Farnese to Elfhelm.

^Yes, yes indeed... 254 got me thinking too that Roderick was going to be the Captain of the ship that goes to Elfhelm. (Plus he is/was in the NAVY right? Who in Guts crew could pilot a ship anyway?) I think it fits perfect!

But knowing Berserk I'm sure something will attack the ship and I got a feeling he wont be 1 of the lucky ones that makes it away ok. Just speculating though...

Triggormortis said:
I really hope he doesn't.

Well, in addition to his adventurous mind, and more important to the fact that HE is able to pilot a boat (like previously said), I think he seems to want to impress Farnese, that's another reason he is in my opinion a pretty good choice in the "who is gonna lead Guts' band to Elfhelm" game!!!... :troll:

Guts is strong, that's for sure, but how is he gonna sail to Elfhelm, I think he definitely NEEDS someone for the boat, if ever they can finally get one!

Opie

The Sex Icon
Seems like the kind of character thats going to come for a part of the journey and then leave at the appropriat time like Jerom.

-rob- said:
he is/was in the NAVY right? Who in Guts crew could pilot a ship anyway?!

Serpico has a lot of interesting skills, I am sure he can manage a little with a ship.

By the way, I think Roderick will try to follow Guts's band, he seems to want adventures and to be with Farnese. After that I don't know if the other will accept but his sailing ability are interesting, it can play a big role in his acceptance.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dawy said:
Serpico has a lot of interesting skills, I am sure he can manage a little with a ship.

They'd still need a larger crew IMHO, especially if they plan to sail to some unknown island in deep sea. And we never heard anything about Serpico being familiar with sailing so...

asmer said:
Well, in addition to his adventurous mind, and more important to the fact that HE is able to pilot a boat (like previously said), I think he seems to want to impress Farnese, that's another reason he is in my opinion a pretty good choice in the "who is gonna lead Guts' band to Elfhelm" game!!!... :troll:

I agree, I could see him being in the story for a while, certainly to for a huge amount of the remaining story but I also believe he has a part to play yet.

Aazealh said:
They'd still need a larger crew IMHO, especially if they plan to sail to some unknown island in deep sea. And we never heard anything about Serpico being familiar with sailing so...

Yeah but Serpico has surprised us several times with his broad knowledge in the story, I would not be surprised if he knew a bit about sailing as well.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
But I doubt Serpico has actually been out to sea.

Oh well, if Roddy gets them a ship, how much you wanna bet Azan will be sleeping onboard in a dinghy?

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
Sparnage said:
Yeah but Serpico has surprised us several times with his broad knowledge in the story, I would not be surprised if he knew a bit about sailing as well.
I think the point he's trying to make is that, either way, they're going to need a bigger crew- whether it includes Roderick or not. Also, for the most part, that Serpico wasn't a pirate, or any other sea-faring venturer, at any time.

Triggormortis said:
they're going to need a bigger crew- whether it includes Roderick or not.

But Roderick probably HAS is own crew. Since he is some kind of noble person, if he owns a boat, he owns a crew. So with him joining Guts' journey, you have a boat, and the people able to pilot it!

As for Serpico, I don't think he would suddenly become a sailor... That would be weird! But that's just me... :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Triggormortis' perspicacity feels refreshing here.

asmer said:
But Roderick probably HAS is own crew. Since he is some kind of noble person, if he owns a boat, he owns a crew.

He doesn't "own a boat", he's the captain of a fleet from what Magnifico says in episode 252, apparently here for the war. Which means he should fight the Kushan army with his men and not flee or he'd be a deserter. Besides, the port is under attack right now so assumptions regarding Roderick's "personal crew" quietly waiting for him to arrive so they can leave their comrades to their doom seem a bit compromised. Nothing impossible, but your logic makes things simpler than they are, and certainly doesn't guarantee anything.

If we are to speculate about this, I'd rather see him taking the last surviving of his men to escape.

Aazealh said:
He doesn't "own a boat", he's the captain of a fleet from what Magnifico says in episode 252, apparently here for the war.
So what? Can't he own his own boat? With his own crew?

Aazealh said:
Which means he should fight the Kushan army with his men and not flee or he'd be a deserter. Besides, the port is under attack right now so assumptions regarding Roderick's "personal crew" quietly waiting for him to arrive so they can leave their comrades to their doom seem a bit compromised.
A deserter? Wait for the kushan attack to fully begin, and we'll see if most of the Holy See soldiers won't run for their life... And the way things are going, most of the nobles may perish, so who is gonna tell if Roderick is a deserter, or not!?... Right, his fleet may be burning at the present time, but if not, why wouldn't he take some of his men to flee? Without taking care of the rest of his crew... Doesn't sound unlogical to me... With the current mayhem in Vritannis, I'd like to know how Guts would recruit many sailors to lead him and his band to Elfhelm... :???:

R

-rob-

Hopefully the God Hand show up at Vritannis... I mean, there is a Beherit there right? And I'm sure plenty of people will be in that painful mood that summons them down.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
So what? Can't he own his own boat? With his own crew?

You're oblivious to his role in Vritannis. He's not there for fun, but for the war as far as we know. He's on a mission. And he doesn't "own" a crew, they're men from the Ys army, like the ships he commands are from the Ys army. I very much doubt the warship he sails on to be his private property. :schierke: Sure he can have his own ship, but you don't go to war with your car, same applies here.

asmer said:
A deserter? Wait for the kushan attack to fully begin, and we'll see if most of the Holy See soldiers won't run for their life...

Yeah, we'll see. A commander fleeing while a battle is being fought by his troops is still considered a deserter and a traitor, in any case. Anyway considering that they're the most endangered ones for now I'm not sure there'll be a lot of them left by the time Roderick gets to the docks, if he does go there. Like I said many times, I see them fleeing on a ship, just not preemptively.

asmer said:
And the way things are going, most of the nobles may perish, so who is gonna tell if Roderick is a deserter, or not!?...

Hahaha, great backward logic. It's ok if nobody sees him? I think I'll stick to the "desperate escape as the city falls" scenario rather than the "morally despicable Roderick flees as soon as trouble appears, abandoning people he should be leading" one. He didn't look like he was the kind of guy to flee without fighting at the ball either, attacking a tiger by himself and all that.

asmer said:
Right, his fleet may be burning at the present time, but if not, why wouldn't he take some of his men to flee? Without taking care of the rest of his crew... Doesn't sound unlogical to me...

Are you serious? Ask anybody that's been in the army... I'm not going to explain the notions of honor, bravery and responsibility toward men to you. Fleeing as soon as you're attacked? How shameful. Why having an army in the first place then?

There are a lot of unknown factors playing here, we don't even know what size the ship they're supposed to end up using will be, nor how they'll get to it. We don't know exactly what role Roderick is playing in Vritannis, and even his title is ambiguous. But I definitely don't see him fleeing before the odds turn ineluctably against them (again, it's already assuming quite a bit to say that by the time Guts' band arrives at the pier the Ys fleet won't be sinking), that'd make him a coward, assuming he's leading the fleet himself. As for what other ship they could use, really, we have many possibilities... Farnese' mom just came back from a trip with her personal ship, there are Kushan vessels attacking the port that could be taken over, or another random ship could be used, etc. If we follow your reasoning, with the current mayhem why would his men even obey Roderick anymore? Shouldn't they be fleeing already?

-rob- said:
I mean, there is a Beherit there right? And I'm sure plenty of people will be in that painful mood that summons them down.

People being in a painful mood isn't enough... Otherwise they'd be summoned every other page in Berserk. But who knows, no one can plan something like this.

Aazealh said:
He's not there for fun, but for the war.
Well, it may be war, he still was there to "marry" Farnese, too. If he wanted to take her back with him, maybe she wasn't supposed to travel on war boats, the only female in the middle of tenths of horny soldiers... :isidro:

Aazealh said:
Hahaha, great backward logic. It's ok if nobody sees him? I think I'll stick to the "desperate escape as the city falls" scenario rather than the "morally despicable Roderick flees as soon as trouble appears, abandoning people he should be leading" one. He didn't look like he was the kind of guy to flee without fighting at the ball either, attacking a tiger by himself and all that.
Sometimes, you flee because there is NO other choice... That doesn't make you a coward. If he is to face elephant-familiars, or crocodile-familiars, what can he do by himself? Serpico has magical weapons, he doesn't. If he were to flee, in THESE conditions, who would say anything???...

Aazealh said:
Are you serious? Ask anybody that's been in the army... I'm not going to explain the notions of honor, bravery and responsibility toward men to you. Fleeing as soon as you're attacked? How shameful. Why having an army in the first place then?
I will have to ask you back if you're really serious? How many times did you tell people, on this Board, not to consider the things in BERSERK the same way they would go in reality... They have an army because they thought their enemy was HUMAN... Nobody told them they would have to fight crocodiles magically controlled and having lances, don't you think? And I guess EVERY soldier we saw, through the almost 30 Volumes of the manga, was full of honor? Not exactly, more than once we saw soldiers fleeing... And when confronted to supernatural beings, I guess it's gonna be the same... And also, a lot of the soldiers here are mercenaries, I'm not sure they would risk their lives against magical opponents...

Aazealh said:
If we follow your reasoning, with the current mayhem why would his men even obey Roderick anymore? Shouldn't they be fleeing already?
That's another possibility, of course. I just didn't know that speculating on ONE possibility meant I had to go through every other ones, that would be quite long... :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Well, it may be war, he still was there to "marry" Farnese, too. If he wanted to take her back with him, maybe she wasn't supposed to travel on war boats, the only female in the middle of tenths of horny soldiers... :isidro:

Got anything interesting to say? This is totally beside the point. Roderick didn't even know Farnese was alive 2 days ago.

asmer said:
Sometimes, you flee because there is NO other choice... That doesn't make you a coward. If he is to face elephant-familiars, or crocodile-familiars, what can he do by himself?

We'll see what he can do, and there are other choices right now, that's all the difference. How do you know there's nothing they can do? That's right, you don't. And it's not as much doing something than at least trying or considering it, it's a matter of state of mind. You're just saying that Roderick will flee without trying to fight and without caring about anybody but himself, so we'll see if he does that. I don't think there's a need to go on forever about this, we've both expressed our opinions.

asmer said:
I will have to ask you back if you're really serious? How many times did you tell people, on this Board, not to consider the things in BERSERK the same way they would go in reality...

And? There's no contradiction going on here, you're just trying to force your views on the matter.

asmer said:
They have an army because they thought their enemy was HUMAN...

That's not the reason they have an army, just what they assumed they'd be fighting. I see what you're trying to say but your syntax is faulty. And as far as supernatural enemies go, the HICKs didn't flee without fighting against the possessed heretics in volume 19.

asmer said:
And I guess EVERY soldier we saw, through the almost 30 Volumes of the manga, was full of honor?

Hahah, that's why it's a hassle to talk with you. Is Roderick your typical bandit? Isn't he an ambitious young man with noble blood, 3rd in line to the throne, adventurous and full of ideals? An officer responsible for his men's lives? So how relevant is that comparison? Since it's Roderick we're talking about (this thread itself is about him). Concerning the soldiers fleeing, you don't know whether they will or not, and I personally don't think they'll even have time to really flee, they'll be dead before (once confronted to the catastrophe the biggers armies may retreat, but that's beside the point). Like I said before, I doubt many people to be still living in the port by the time Guts and co get in there. That makes the perfect setting for them escaping, too. In any case, what you're saying is just corroborating my previous point about the soldiers themselves fleeing before Roderick does, so...

asmer said:
I just didn't know that speculating on ONE possibility meant I had to go through every other ones, that would be quite long... :schierke:

You're supposed to be considering all possibilities when speculating, yes. That's sort of the point of speculation in the first place and I don't see how it'd be particularly long, especially since it would prevent discussions like these. So what, aren't you thanking me for bringing this to your attention? :casca:

Roderick will certainly go with Guts&Co because he seems to be really interested by Farnese but I'll go with Aaz and say that with what we saw about him he is more a "brave captain" than a "coward son of noble" so I think he'll be foced to flee after his fleet been decimated by Kushan Forces...
He can ask Guts to help him(reaching the port then save some of the survivors) and in exchange propose his service as a skilled sailor...
Just wait and see...just few days before the next release(it maybe the reason why this discussion seem so "passionate")

Jeezz..
You are speculating about this guy, and i bet he will be a character like Luca or Jerome.. He'll just be part of this short-period of berserk, then..
He will fade away like all the other "side"-characters.. :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mad Angel Loki said:
(it maybe the reason why this discussion seem so "passionate")

Hehe, SK.net is always full of passionate people and discussions. :badbone:

fuxberg said:
You are speculating about this guy, and i bet he will be a character like Luca or Jerome..

Uhh yeah, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't speculate about him, does it?

asmer said:

Women and seamen don't mix. :p

Top Bottom