Roderick

R

-rob-

fuxberg said:
Jeezz..
You are speculating about this guy, and i bet he will be a character like Luca or Jerome.. He'll just be part of this short-period of berserk, then..
He will fade away like all the other "side"-characters.. :schierke:

^I agree, But I think it's still possible we'll see them again... Maybe.

Aazealh said:
Got anything interesting to say? This is totally beside the point. Roderick didn't even know Farnese was alive 2 days ago.
And now that he knows, I wonder, if the Kushans hadn't attacked, how he intented to bring her with him to his country...

Aazealh said:
You're just saying that Roderick will flee without trying to fight and without caring about anybody but himself, so we'll see if he does that. I don't think there's a need to go on forever about this, we've both expressed our opinions.
I'm wondering right now if you understand the meaning of words like probably, or if... :schierke:

Aazealh said:
And as far as supernatural enemies go, the HICKs didn't flee without fighting against the possessed heretics in volume 19.
As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't compare those heretics running naked in the cave, while the HICKs were full armored, to the present situation, where the enemies are armored animals, with deadly weapons... But maybe it's just me...

Aazealh said:
Hahah, that's why it's a hassle to talk with you. Is Roderick your typical bandit? Isn't he an ambitious young man with noble blood, 3rd in line to the throne, adventurous and full of ideals? An officer responsible for his men's lives?
Guts himself, after killing Roshinu, fled to avoid fighting the HICKs, right? Is HE as bandit? A coward? No, but when confronted to a situation where fighting is useless, when you're sure you'll lose, running away is the best solution...

Aazealh said:
You're supposed to be considering all possibilities when speculating, yes. That's sort of the point of speculation in the first place and I don't see how it'd be particularly long, especially since it would prevent discussions like these. So what, aren't you thanking me for bringing this to your attention? :casca:
Well, so why won't you take in consideration the fact that Roderick MAY have his own boat? With his own crew... Or that confronted to an enemy he can't beat, he MAY decide to save his life rather than die a useless death? :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
And now that he knows, I wonder, if the Kushans hadn't attacked, how he intented to bring her with him to his country...

There are so many ways, just get your imagination to work. Fact is he didn't know she would be there, and you have no point at all. Why are you still insisting about this?

asmer said:
I'm wondering right now if you understand the meaning of words like probably, or if...

What are you trying to say buddy? Probably or if, what does it change? You're giving your opinion or you're not giving it, make your choice. As for not understanding I think that's more of your domain. :zodd:

asmer said:
As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't compare those heretics running naked in the cave, while the HICKs were full armored, to the present situation, where the enemies are armored animals, with deadly weapons... But maybe it's just me...

The heretics were possessed and had superhuman strength, they bit the knights' faces and cut off their limbs without effort. The goat pseudo-apostle was also there. And the familiars aren't armored, neither the tigers nor the crocodiles (and the tigers don't carry weapons either).

asmer said:
Guts himself, after killing Roshinu, fled to avoid fighting the HICKs, right? Is HE as bandit? A coward? No, but when confronted to a situation where fighting is useless, when you're sure you'll lose, running away is the best solution...

Still trying to save face? Your example doesn't even apply to the situation, and it's ignoring what I already said about this. Guts tried to avoid an unnecessary battle because he was badly wounded, world weary and not in condition to fight. It's not the case here, and you're just assuming what the situation is looking like to the characters from an exterior point of view. Basically you're repeating what's in your previous posts and stretching it to the max... Deforming what I said in a ridiculous fashion too.

asmer said:
Well, so why won't you take in consideration the fact that Roderick MAY have his own boat? With his own crew...

Because he's a military officer and that he wouldn't take his personal ship to go to war, simple as that. Do you need me to repeat it again? And it's not that I don't take things in consideration, I just don't think they're likely to happen. If you have no more arguments then just drop the topic please. As the captain of the fleet I imagine him to have an assigned warship, suiting the situation infinitely more than a pleasance vessel.

asmer said:
Or that confronted to an enemy he can't beat, he MAY decide to save his life rather than die a useless death?

It's not about dying a useless death, and I never said he'd die for nothing in Vritannis or even stay to fight the Kushans, don't try to distort the discussion. My original point was just that the way you presented things didn't fit the situation. Seriously, if you can't understand what I tell you nor provide a reasonable response then please don't waste our combined time replying with posts like this one, it's just clogging the thread. I think we've sufficiently expressed our respective belief on the matter anyway.

Aazealh said:
I think we've sufficiently expressed our respective belief on the matter anyway.
Yeah, I think the same way... :puck:

However...

Aazealh said:
Because he's a military officer and that he wouldn't take his personal ship to go to war, simple as that.
Just one last thing, in those days between the moment he knew he was going to ask for Farnese's hand in marriage, and the Ball, he MAY have looked for a vessel to bring her back with him to Ys, even if he came on another ship (probably a war ship...), although, of course, nothing's for sure, and that may very well be wrong... Now I'll patiently wait for the next Episodes... :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Just one last thing, in those days between the moment he knew he was going to ask for Farnese's hand in marriage, and the Ball, he MAY have looked for a vessel to bring her back with him to Ys, even if he came on another ship (probably a war ship...)

Between the moment he learned that from Magnifico and the ball? It's all during the same day buddy, that means he'd find it in half an afternoon. And you're forgetting what Magnifico told Farnese in the gardens... Federico Vandimion himself can't afford a ship right now, they're all requisitioned for the war. The reason Roderick could spare one for Guts & co is because he's a military officer, so to get a ship just for that...

Besides, you don't even know whether he'd bring her back to Ys or not (remember his current situation, what he tells Magnifico about it), nor when he would if he did. And finally, he still wouldn't own the ship, and certainly not own the crew (or maybe they'd be slaves?).

Aazealh said:
He doesn't "own a boat", he's the captain of a fleet from what Magnifico says in episode 252, apparently here for the war. Which means he should fight the Kushan army with his men and not flee or he'd be a deserter. Besides, the port is under attack right now so assumptions regarding Roderick's "personal crew" quietly waiting for him to arrive so they can leave their comrades to their doom seem a bit compromised. Nothing impossible, but your logic makes things simpler than they are, and certainly doesn't guarantee anything.

If we are to speculate about this, I'd rather see him taking the last surviving of his men to escape.

Roderick says that he was there as a messenger only and that now he may go.
Simple as that. :troll:
Claro?!? :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
Roderick says that he was there as a messenger only and that now he may go.

Yeah, I've said that in the episode thread yesterday, guess you know how to read and copy/paste. Want a cookie? :schierke: You might as well quote my own posts to me directly.

Aazealh said:
He was sent on a mission that he has now completed (guess he wasn't here to fight the war?), but he still has military authority, so he can do that (take a ship to leave).
Aazealh said:
He came to deliver a letter from his sovereign/leader, he wasn't here to fight at all unlike what we originally thought. He even says that since his mission is complete he doesn't have any reason to stay since the people in Vritannis are from a different sect, though inside of the same ecclesiastical authority (sect is like a "branch" or a "division" here, not Scientology). It's actually kind of conflicting with the "captain of the fleet" title Magnifico gave him in episode 252 (which was a bit vague anyway), so I'm not so sure anymore about what his rank exactly is. But apparently he's not leading any troops and never planned to fight the war.

Really, nobody needs you to repeat information we learned in the last episode while replying to a post from a week ago, especially when it's conflicting with what was said before (captain of the Ys fleet in Vritannis or not?). Besides, you're not really addressing the post you're quoting, which was originally intended to point to asmer that the logic he used assumed a lot of things and left some others unclear.

I'd rather wait for him (asmer) to discuss the new elements since he's at least genuinely interested and not just trolling.

Aazealh said:
I'd rather wait for him (asmer) to discuss the new elements since he's at least genuinely interested and not just trolling.
Well, I didn't expect (AT ALL) that things would turn out this way... I thought Roderick was here to fight the war, he even has a warship, now we're at least sure of THAT!
Fortunately, his boat wasn't in the port, but waiting outside Vritannis. However, in the last episodes, we heard Daiba say that his mission was to clear the entire coastal area, so I hope Roderick's ship hasn't been destroyed!?... :-\

Trashcan said:
Yeah, he's going. Closing time for this thread.
He is coming doesn't mean there won't be anything interesting to say about him in the future... Probably just the contrary... :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Well, I didn't expect (AT ALL) that things would turn out this way... I thought Roderick was here to fight the war, he even has a warship, now we're at least sure of THAT!

Yeah, I think it's the same for everybody, I mean how would we not have assumed that anyway? Described as the "captain of the fleet" (I want to stress again that the original term is rather vague though), he had enough authority to deliver Guts & his group a note allowing them to requisition any ship with as many crew members as they wanted in Vritannis, that's not a small feat when someone as powerful as Federico Vandimion supposedly can't get a ship for himself.

Now since most of these informations came from either Magnifico or Roderick, I guess they might not be completely reliable... Like you said, at least now we're sure that Roderick commands a warship, even if he's not as militarily powerful (or prominent at all) in Vritannis as we were first led to think. Being Magnifico's friend and from what he said in a somewhat difficult situation in regard to his own country himself, I guess it makes sense though. Ys' role in the war also remains mostly unknown (what was the message Roderick delivered about?), especially whether they'll take an active role or not (since Roderick doesn't seem to have any compatriot in Vritannis).

asmer said:
Fortunately, his boat wasn't in the port, but waiting outside Vritannis. However, in the last episodes, we heard Daiba say that his mission was to clear the entire coastal area, so I hope Roderick's ship hasn't been destroyed!?... :-\

Hmm, well like Roddy said, at least it shouldn't be burning/sinking by the time they get there (unlike the vessels in the port), but they'd be lucky if it wasn't attacked at all yeah. I believe Daiba's comment referred to a broader area, and the "clearing" was apparently completed before Guts & the others reached Vritannis anyway, so I don't think we should worry about this aspect of things.

Top Bottom