Author Topic: Japanese vs English Manga  (Read 6350 times)

Offline EndlessSky

Japanese vs English Manga
« on: October 03, 2005, 11:58:23 PM »
Hey, I have just started up buying the Berserk Manga (only english volume 1 so far) and I was wondering which one do you prefer or would be good to get because I understand that Dark Horse is going pretty slow with releasing the english version and I dont want to spend a couple of years waiting on this when It is already released in Japanese. (Also I dont want to have half japanese half english collection either, If I do go for collecting the entire series I want it to be in just one set language)

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
Re: Japanese vs English Manga
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 12:24:54 AM »
I'd buy the English manga if I were you. I own the japanese volumes myself, but that's only because they're the source material.  Dark Horse will make mistakes, for sure.  The only "perfect" version of Berserk to me, lies in my head, after years of reading various and competing translations of the series.   

As for not wanting to be waiting for the series for years, welcome to the club, dude. We'll all be here for at least another 5-20 more years.  :guts:
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 02:34:36 AM »
We'll all be here for at least another 5-20 more years.  :guts:
No kiddin', I'm sticking with Berserk to the bloody end. :badbone:

Offline EndlessSky

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 05:01:15 PM »
Same here, but what I mean is I dont want to have months/years for volumes that are already released, sticking with the entire series is different and I'll be with it as many as it takes until the end.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 05:59:09 PM »
The best would be to have both, or a split collection, but apparently you don't want that. I see the website link in your profile goes to a German site, well if you speak German you can always buy the German volumes, otherwise the Spanish and Italian edition are also in the 20+ volumes.

Other than these alternatives, the Japanese edition is really the best there is, the downside is the language barrier. Again, I'd recommend you to get the Japanese volumes from 13 up to 29 ($75 without shipping) and to wait for DH to slowly catch up, but that's assuming you don't mind having a heterogenous collection and/or doubles (which isn't the case from what you said).

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of options, it's up to you to take a decision depending on how much you like the series and want to invest in it.

Offline Funkmasta Zeph

• Of the Interstice
  • Finely made wine since 1840
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:13:58 AM »
Same here, but what I mean is I dont want to have months/years for volumes that are already released, sticking with the entire series is different and I'll be with it as many as it takes until the end.

That depends on how you regard the GNs....

Do you see them as collectors items?
Do you want them soley to gaze at the art?
Then buy the Tankobans.

Do you really want to just grab Berserk off the shelf and read it?
Then buy the English release.

....Which isn't all that slow honestly, 4 volumes a year is pretty good. Usually english GN releases are 3 times a year.

Offline GutsTheBerserker

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 08:00:43 PM »
l prefer the english, mainly because l can't read Japanese(l have cds how to learn, but l haven't started :schierke:) One thing l like better though, is the nice book jackets the jap versions have. l just got volume 10 today, l can't wait till' 13 is out.
Merida!

Offline handsome rakshas

• Of the Vortex
  • Thanks Grail!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 12:19:46 AM »
We'll all be here for at least another 5-20 more years.  :guts:

Oh my god! I'll be a withered old man in twenty years! (actually I'll be 43)
Screw it, I'm in!  :guts:

Offline avi

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 05:56:07 PM »
The best would be to have both, or a split collection, but apparently you don't want that. I see the website link in your profile goes to a German site, well if you speak German you can always buy the German volumes, otherwise the Spanish and Italian edition are also in the 20+ volumes.

In Italy there are 3 versions of Berserk, any worst than other...  :judo: Better the German or Spanish volumes.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 09:30:07 PM »
In Italy there are 3 versions of Berserk, any worst than other...  :judo:

Haha yeah I know, from what I've heard the translation really isn't the best (same for all three I think, right?). Anyway, the German edition is also far from being perfect ("Kjaskar" instead of Casca, "Femuth" for Femto...), and I imagine the same applies to the Spanish one.

In the end, nothing beats the original. :guts:

Offline Uriel

• 天下無敵者
  • Of the Abyss
  • This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 02:25:33 PM »
I guarantee one of the board members dies of old age before Berserk finishes :guts:

Offline The Perineum Falcon

• Slightly Green, all Ranemaka
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 05:12:16 PM »
poor roberto.... :judo:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 05:23:44 PM »
poor roberto.... :judo:

Don't underestimate him, I wouldn't be surprised if he outlived me. :badbone: By the way, you're not posting much these days Robby, you're busy?

Offline HumanWeapon

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 03:59:24 AM »
How old is Miura? That may be the largest impact on how long the manga will run.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 06:53:49 AM »
How old is Miura? That may be the largest impact on how long the manga will run.

He's currently 39 years old, soon to be 40. Please search for answers in older topics before asking questions in the future.

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=4665.0

Offline Casan

• Of the World
  • Breathe and Start
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 09:52:36 AM »
Again, I'd recommend you to get the Japanese volumes from 13 up to 29 ($75 without shipping)

May I ask you where that price is available? I've checked up on Sasugabooks, Nippon-export, Aclimatesolution and Animaxis among some, but they all seem to have very differing prices. If the answer to this turns out to be an obvious one then I must apologize for the lack of time I spent searching for it.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 08:21:13 PM »
May I ask you where that price is available?

http://www.amazon.co.jp

Other than that, Nippon-Export used to give discounts to customers buying in bulk, so if you handle it well you could get a good price there, and Acclimate Solution's strong point is the cheap shipping (so comparing the total price for each shop might be in their favor). But I recommend you to stick to Amazon anyway.

Offline Casan

• Of the World
  • Breathe and Start
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 09:15:48 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.jp

Other than that, Nippon-Export used to give discounts to customers buying in bulk, so if you handle it well you could get a good price there, and Acclimate Solution's strong point is the cheap shipping (so comparing the total price for each shop might be in their favor). But I recommend you to stick to Amazon anyway.

Thanks once again for the link and for the heads up on the other sites. I'll go with your recommendation and use Amazon.

Offline Funkmasta Zeph

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 11:10:29 PM »
http://www.animegamersusa.com/istar.asp?a=29

Try this site. Its cheap and is shipped locally so no crazy fee.

They've been reliable with my One Piece tankobans, so I don't see how the Berserks would operate different.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 11:21:51 PM »
http://www.animegamersusa.com/istar.asp?a=29

Try this site. Its cheap and is shipped locally so no crazy fee.

They've been reliable with my One Piece tankobans, so I don't see how the Berserks would operate different.

$6.60 is an unbeatable price, stateside. Good find, Zeph.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 01:00:42 AM »
great find on that price, zeph. 

You have any experience as to how long it would take them to restock a volume?
I'm sick of following my dreams.  I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later...
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Funkmasta Zeph

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 03:35:51 PM »
Hmm....

I havn't exactly done a test on it.

But I don't think it takes too long...

Offline Un_Colombiano

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 08:32:44 PM »
Wow, DH really picked up the pace (or I just havent checked up on it) with the Berserk volumes. I only have 1-5, and it looks like there already up to 10.

Zelz, similar to you, I had this problem when I was about to start my Berserk manga collection. But after while I decided to just get the english version. Of course there will be translation errors, but thats what the internet is for -- to find translation errors and know what it is really supposto mean (like skullknight.net for example).

Maybe when I hit it big I'll buy the Japanese manga set just to look at the "pretty pictures".

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 08:35:14 PM »
Wow, DH really picked up the pace (or I just havent checked up on it) with the Berserk volumes. I only have 1-5, and it looks like there already up to 10.

They're up to volume 11 actually, and the others will follow quickly:

Volume 12 is still set to drop 7/12/06

and guess what....

Volume 13 is set to drop 9/27/06

Don't fall too much behind. :serpico: