Manga Suggestions

Hey, I'm pretty new to Manga, (all I got so far is Berserk Volume 1). Any Recommendations on some Manga out there? I was looking for something else than Berserk.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Zelz said:
Hey, I'm pretty new to Manga, (all I got so far is Berserk Volume 1). Any Recommendations on some Manga out there? I was looking for something else than Berserk.
I haven't read it myself, but from what I've heard, Vagabond is a good series to get into. I also recommend Blade of the Immortal, Rurouni Kenshin, GTO and Trigun/Trigun Maximum. The Naruto manga is okay, but I recommend checking it out a little before you buy it (unless you're already a fan of the TV series, in which case you'll love it). Hope that helps. :guts:

D

darkbane

It would help if you'd state some preferences, since there's a really broad spectrum of manga available, but here's some random goodness for ya:

Rurouni Kenshin
Full Metal Panic
Eden
Love Hina (and lately, Mahou Sensei Negima is good)
Vampire Juuji Kai (aka Record of Fallen Vampire)
Record of Lodoss War (in roughly this order: Lady of Pharis, The Grey Witch, Chronicles of a Heroic Knight, Demon of Flame, and Deedlit's Tale)
Basara
Island (korean... I think)
Death Note
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Monster Collection
Monster
20th Century Boys
Kiseiju (published as Parasyte)
School Rumble
Mahoraba
Milk Crown (and Milk Crown H, and Milk Crown Lovers)
Priest (korean)
Great Teacher Onizuka
Blade of the Immortal (basically, also everything Rhombaad said above, though personally I hate Naruto with a passion, heh)

Ya, I dont really like Naturo.... thanks for the recommendations I will probably check out Blade of the Immortal and maybe Rurouni Kenshin/Record of Lodoss War ... I liked the ROLW OVAS...

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'm not the biggest manga consumer (Berserks the only one I truly follow with fervor), however my friends more of a comic book person. He's reading this american comic book/graphic novel series by the name "Living Dead". I've read them as well and they're very good.
I'd recommend them to anyone.

Not really a huge manga collector but here's a few that are good IMO.

Trigun
Priest (Korean)
Blazin Barrels (Korean)
Etc Cetera
Kenshin
Big O
Bastard

also Geekz is pretty damn funny, it's not manga though, it's an American webcomic. Silly me forgot Bastard.

Manga
Seinen: Akira, Gunmm (called Battle Angel in US I think), Vagabond
Shonen: Rurouni Kenshin, City hunter (and Angel Heart which occurs 10 years after), Dragon Ball (my introduction to the manga world), Hokuto No Ken
why not?: ranma 1/2 (really Funny), Saint Seiya (big classic), Bastard (for the hero and the girls with huge boobs), Crying Freeman, Gon (no lyrics-concept)

Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Movies All the Miyazaki's movie and most of the Ghibli Studio, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Perfect Blue

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
yota821 said:
(only up to #13 so far though :( ).
In the U.S. volumes or in Japan? I don't really know much about the series other than what I've heard in terms of recommendations on this site. :???:

Doh!! Sorry for confusing there Rhombaad. Yeah, I meant I only have 13 of the volumes (in the Japanese version). I can't remember how many there are total.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
yota821 said:
Doh!!  Sorry for confusing there Rhombaad.  Yeah, I meant I only have 13 of the volumes (in the Japanese version).  I can't remember how many there are total.
No problem! :serpico: I really want to start reading Vagabond...the only problem is I'm not quite caught up with the other series I'm reading at the moment (aside from Berserk).

I've been looking around and I'm liking what I've seen so far of Blade of the Immortal and Vagabond, can't decide which though, probably Blade of the Immortal it seems to have more of a fantasy thing going on with it, and I'm liking the story behind it and the previews I have seen. Of course I'll be following Berserk still and the most, just would like a manga on the side while waiting for the Dark Horse releases :serpico:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Add another check for Priest and for Death Note.

Also try BLAME! sometime. It's just getting released in English.

I'll chime in for Priest as well. Spaghetti Westerns and horror are like chocolate and peanut butter.

Westerns and sci-fi are also two great tastes that taste great together, so you'd do well to check out Trigun.

And finally - though it's a novel, not a manga - there's Vampire Hunter D, which crams westerns, horror and sci-fi into one delicious package.

Blade of the Immortal **my second fav next to Berserk**
Trigun
Hellsing
Vagabond
GTO *just too goddamn funny*
Naruto- I agree that you def should check it out before purcahsing

Its not manga but i recently purchased it was very satisfied...The Walking Dead....sounds lame I kno but it's a story set in a zombie epidemic ridden world and it follows one man's ordeal thro it all.....its pretty good....check it out...its also in TPB so u can get em all quick....

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
Its not manga but i recently purchased it was very satisfied...The Walking Dead....sounds lame I kno but it's a story set in a zombie epidemic ridden world and it follows one man's ordeal thro it all.....its pretty good....check it out...its also in TPB so u can get em all quick....

Yea that must be the comic I was referring to earlier. It is good, and I recommend anyone checking it out

CnC said:
Yea that must be the comic I was referring to earlier.  It is good, and I recommend anyone checking it out

Oh shit...i didnt even see that....yea its pretty good right?....that would make a good series on Showtime....too bad it will never happen.....

classic one:
ippo the fighting
jojo amazing adventure
kochikame
kenshin

hottest now:
death note
bleach
one piece
hunter x hunter(getting crap now tho)
gantz
naruto