Silent Hill: The Movie!

Silent Hill: A Movie Made by Gamers
Writer Avery discusses adapting the horror flick.

Roger Avery, who wrote the screenplay for Silent Hill, was himself a fan and enthusiastic player of the original Playstation game.

"I remember it being so advanced in its story, atmosphere, in the way the camera and game engine operated and in how playable it was," the writer explained in an interview with Edge magazine. "I'd been into Resident Evil not only because of the story but because it had a fixed camera – I'm very much into the cinema of games and how that's gradually evolving. So I played Silent Hill, liked it and put it down like any other game before moving on with my life."

And then he met Christophe Gans, a French director who needed someone to re-write a French-language script he had for a Hollywood film version of the game. Avery fit the bill, and he was impressed with Gans's knowledge of Silent Hill and videogames in general. "You name a book and he's read it, name a game and he's played it (and he hasn't just played it casually - he's played it to the end). He's invested the 50-100 hours it's taken to finish all of these games. I don't know how he finds the time - he has no life separate from media. ...I was very comfortable around him and we became very good friends very quickly."

Instilling the movie with the same eerie, exploratory feel as the game was a difficult task, especially since that meant breaking from the usual movie mold. "Because of that, it became a very difficult script for the studio to accept. We had long passages with no dialogue. Christophe wanted to ensure that when we wanted to have dialogue, we wrote it big. But for the most part, much of the movie is a silent film - we wanted it to be full of silence. So there are scenes where Rose is just wandering through Silent Hill.

"In the script phase, we had long, long moments where seemingly nothing happens. It's all atmosphere – you're falling slowly into a world and experiencing it much like you would in the game."

Avery feels that while films are a good complement to videogames, there's a danger of game designers trying to make their creations too passive and cinematic, like a film, and less interactive like a game should be. Avery also took a poke at director Uwe Boll (Alone in the Dark) while outlining the responsibility filmmakers have these days with game adaptations:

"Maybe the question is: will Silent Hill make game designers more comfortable? Guys like Uwe Boll have done a lot of damage, and I don't know that one good game adaptation will undo all of it."

In other Silent news, the film's first still shot is up at Bloody Disgusting, showing lead actresses Radha Mitchell ("Rose") and Laurie Holden ("Cybil Bennet"). The movie also stars Sean Bean (The Fellowship of the Ring, The Island) as Rose's husband Christopher. It opens April 21st.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Now you're speaking my language. Silent Hill is my absolute favorite game series. (next to Castlevania) If they screw this movie up Resident Evil style I will be pissed

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
It's got potential, at least more than Doom. Silent Hill has always seemed like it's very cinematic to me. I just hope they don't mess with the usual unexplained monsters are trying to eat me thing, and add in some shit about a science project gone wrong.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
It's got potential, at least more than Doom.

DooM has a lot of potential for a fun action movie with some thrilling scenes here and there. It's just that the people involved in the movie project have no talent and no ambition for it, which isn't surprising.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:
DooM has a lot of potential for a fun action movie with some thrilling scenes here and there. It's just that the people involved in the movie project have no talent and no ambition for it, which isn't surprising.

Agreed, I seen the trailer for Doom last night and I laughed when I seen the first person scene (you could see the marines gun) Brought back bad memories of House of the Dead. I also am not getting my hopes up too high. I just hope it at least has a neat soundtrack.

As long as it delivers scares and splatter, and doesn't take itself too seriously, Doom could be fun. Beisdes, where else will you see Eomer of Rohan team up with the Scorpion King to fight evil? :p

Back on Silent Hill - I haven't played any of the games since a demo of the first one (too scary! :isidro:), but I still look forward to this. I loved Gans's Brotherhood Of The Wolf, and that SH producer/composer Akira Yamaoka provides the music (loved the stuff I heard in the game trailers) is icing on the cake.

I honestly have lost ALL faith in video game-to-movie adaptations...personally it all ended fo me with Resident Evil.....and RE2 was just the final nail in the coffin.....never bothered watchin the Tomb Raiders.....Alone in the Dark was out in theatres for what...2 days? HAHAH Mario Bros. no comment.... That's all that comes to mind right now....so yea I hold no hope for SH.....but maybe ill be supirsed.

after looking at the production stills they showed a few days ago, I just don't see this movie being anygood and Cybil...Christ what the hell did they do to here?! Rose Mason....lol shame because this was originally suppose to be actually based on the first game. well I hope after this crap is done they will make a movie of the second game. I'd love to see pyramid head in action on the big screen.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly don't see how this is a good thing. What' s the point in making a Silent Hill movie, outside of capitalizing the nerd niche market?

The power of the SH series is in atmosphere, which, in my opinion is presented flawlessly in both SH1 and SH2. How could they improve the formula by bogging it down with restraints like budgets, actors and sets? If it ain't broke... don't milk it with another franchise.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Id prefer this as a full length CG movie if anything i think. Im sure with devotion a really good SH movie could be made, but its just not gonna live upto the games so they might as well make a different independant horror movie.

You didnt like 3 and 4 Walter? or you didnt play them?
I own them all but only played 1 and 3 so far. I believe 1 is the best, but 3 is great too.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Proj2501 said:
I honestly have lost ALL faith in video game-to-movie adaptations...personally it all ended fo me with Resident Evil.....and RE2 was just the final nail in the coffin.....never bothered watchin the Tomb Raiders.....Alone in the Dark was out in theatres for what...2 days? HAHAH Mario Bros. no comment.... That's all that comes to mind right now....so yea I hold no hope for SH.....but maybe ill be supirsed.
*cough* Street Fighter *cough*
wStreet_Fighter__The_Movie.png

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Another favorite game = ANother movie

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Read and weep all.

Welcome to last week. :casca:

You know you deserved it. Anyway, I hope these projects won't actually be concretized... And I hope people will stop adapting stuff and start making original movies.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Aazealh said:
Welcome to last week. :casca:

You know you deserved it. Anyway, I hope these projects won't actually be concretized... And I hope people will stop adapting stuff and start making original movies.
Ice burn! :troll: ^^

Anyways, I hope Nintendo does take it seriously and actually puts forth an effort.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Anyways, I hope Nintendo does take it seriously and actually puts forth an effort.

Well if they're serious about it, I hope some effort will be put in yeah... But think about a Metroid movie, there'd need to be no speech at all (or really not much) to recreate the game's ambiance faithfully. Conceptually I think it could work somehow if it was animated but otherwise...

The premise sounds quite similar to a typical Silent Hill storyline, and by the looks of the pictures, so does the mood. Could this perhaps be the first ever videogame-based movie done right?

Top Bottom