Episode 1 - Torture scene

I never understand the point of the torture scene in the first episode except to show us the healing power of Puck.
I mean that according to others episodes of the story, Guts is not the type to let him capture by men without any resistance. Maybe he was thinking it would be an easy way to meet the snake baron, but if Puck was not here he would not have been able to fight him.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dawy said:
I never understand the point of the torture scene in the first episode except to show us the healing power of Puck.
I mean that according to others episodes of the story, Guts is not the type to let him capture by men without any resistance. Maybe he was thinking it would be an easy way to meet the snake baron, but if Puck was not here he would not have been able to fight him.
The scene allows some exposition about the Lord of Koka Castle and as you've said earlier, shows how Guts begins to rely on Puck to get him out of tight spots. The scene exemplifies how Guts' isolation from others is self-destructive.

Then again, I think we all know Guts would find a way out eventually, using his teeth if necessary :chomp:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Adding to what Walter said, that scene is also used to introduce the Brand and the Demon Child to the reader, important elements for the audience to understand the course of events.

As for the guys capturing him, he had let his guard down while talking to Puck, and you can see that 4 of them are aiming at him with crossbows plus another one with an arrow notched to his bow. While it doesn't suit his character too well nor the way he generally handle things, it's not unjustifiable either for him to take that decision.

The reason was because when he saved Puck, he killed two of the castle guard so he became a wanted man, and they probably showed and all for the reasons that other people have already said, to show the cruel nature of the Lord of Koka castle and such.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Funkmasta Zeph said:
he wasn't tortured by anyone involved with Koka

Well, he wasn't tortured by the Snake Baron's men if that's what you mean, but the villagers were still involved with him anyway...

Aazealh said:
As for the guys capturing him, he had let his guard down while talking to Puck, and you can see that 4 of them are aiming at him with crossbows plus another one with an arrow notched to his bow.

Yet the next volume straightaway contradict that... When he infiltrate Count palace... There were more soldiers aiming him with crossbow... Therefore my conclusion is that crossbows wouldn't be too much of a threat to him...

Unless behind there is some cannon directed at him also lol... :SK:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Yet the next volume straightaway contradict that... When he infiltrate Count palace... There were more soldiers aiming him with crossbow...

But he was prepared, with his cape and the Dragon Slayer to protect himself. He expected them to be waiting for him, and he sees the guards before they even aim at him too. That gives him enough time to react.

Aazealh said:
But he was prepared, with his cape and the Dragon Slayer to protect himself. He expected them to be waiting for him, and he sees the guards before they even aim at him too. That gives him enough time to react.

That quite true... but back in volume 1 if he choose to fight instead by suddenly giving a surprise attack, I am quite sure given his reaction and skills he will be able to dogde and slaughter them off before they can do anything...

He have counter arrows directed at him once during his Pre-eclipse time... (Back in vol10 if I remember correctly when he rescued Griffith from the tower of Rebirth)

Of course he would have to risk it... I think the first volume he just didnt wan to risk anything...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
if he choose to fight instead by suddenly giving a surprise attack, I am quite sure given his reaction and skills he will be able to dogde and slaughter them off before they can do anything...

Maybe, maybe not.

Smith said:
Of course he would have to risk it... I think the first volume he just didnt wan to risk anything...

Yeah, either way we can't know.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
We can probably assume Guts didn't want to fight a garrison of soldiers before fighting someone not affiliated with them.

With the Counts dudes, they were directly under the count. And if you can recall he was ready to run after awhile. (then Vargas helps out)

Top Bottom