Berserk Wrist Watch - Black Design Guts by AOW and ORIENT

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JIN had told us about it more than a month ago, and now official information comes out. It is designed by Art of War, and manufactured by ORIENT. Planned to be released around June/July, preorders will be accepted from April 8th (friday), 11:00am Japan time.

ORIENT is one of the leaders in the wristwatch market in Asia, that focuses on middle to high-quality products. The watch will be limited to 200 units, and will cost 71,400円 ($671.5). EDIT: According to recent information the price would be 65,000円 ($598).

There isn't a lot of information out about the design yet, save that the hands will have the shape of the Dragon Slayer, and that the Brand will show up instead of the classic emblem of the company (see pictures below).

I only have a poor scan of the picture available in the recently released YA, but I think I found out which existing model this will be based on: the King Master (from the Orient Star line). It'll mostly have the same specifications:

- Automatic clockwork system with a 21 Jewels movement (no battery, powered by the movement and vibrations of the wrist)
- 40 hours Power Reserve indicator
- Date and self-rotating World Time indicator (advertised as very simple to use)
- Dial crystal made of synthetic Sapphire Crystal with anti-reflective coating (highest scratch resistance)
- 24h Time display
- Convenient metallic bracelet
- Serial number (limited to 200)
- 1 year guarantee

- Possibly (I'm not sure) a manual rotating city-name indicator

As for the dimensions:

Weight: 140g
Inner dial diameter: 27mm
Outer dial diameter: 38mm
Thickness: 10mm
Bracelet width: 18mm

I don't know what material is it made of, either titanium or stainless steel. It comes in a high-quality wooden case.

Here are 2 pictures, a low quality one of the future Berserk wristwatch, and next to it, a shot of the King Master model.

w01.jpg
w03.jpg

A closer look at the King Master (special edition, so a little different):

w02.jpg

Details:

w05.jpg

The Brand should replace the classic ORIENT lion emblem.

w04.jpg
w06.jpg

The possible choice of serial number carving, and another ORIENT lion emblem at the back that could be replaced by a Berserk-specific emblem.

Wow, 71,400 yen!

And judging from all those specs and pictures, this watch is going to be one heavy duty thing.  No joke.

I wasn't expecting this kind of quality at all.  I think that's awesome that AOW and ORIENT will be putting so much effort into this product.

Aazealh, you being a watch enthusiast, will you be getting one?  If so, only 200 pieces... so you better be prepared to do some serious "refresh"-ing on your browser the day of the release =)

Thanks for the information!

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Ah, too bad, the watch is way too masculine for me to wear.  Kind of expected that.  Maybe it's a good thing, because I don't think I could afford it!  Looks very classy, though.  8)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
I wasn't expecting this kind of quality at all. I think that's awesome that AOW and ORIENT will be putting so much effort into this product.

I wasn't expecting that either, and I'm glad that they're putting effort in it. Even so, one may wonder about the necessity of such a luxury product (most expensive one ever released by AOW until now?). It's not like there aren't higher-priced watches, but this is definitely not aimed at common people, despite the advertisement...

A simple Quartz watch would have been sufficient IMHO, as I don't think the average Berserk fan cares enough about watches to appreciate an Automatic (and there are very nice $150 watches that would do a great job).

DirectDK said:
Aazealh, you being a watch enthusiast, will you be getting one? If so, only 200 pieces... so you better be prepared to do some serious "refresh"-ing on your browser the day of the release =)

To be honest, I'm thinking about it, but I have not decided yet. It's quite an investment, and as I haven't seen the final design of the Berserk limited edition model, I'm not sure whether or not I'll buy it (and most importantly, I have to convince my wife first, NOT an easy task). I'm enthusiastic about it, though. ;)

By the way, considering the price, I have some doubts about it being sold out in a few hours... I could be wrong, but even the Crystal Art Beherits took some time to go. Anyway, I have been doing serious "refreshing" since JIN told us about the watch. ;D

TheSkyTraveller said:
Ah, too bad, the watch is way too masculine for me to wear. Kind of expected that.

I actually refrained from saying so the other day. :p

A prototype picture amiably supplied by JIN:

Berserk_watch.jpg

puella

Berserk forever
I personally don't like red on a watch, though black and red are colors that represent Berserk very well.
I expected a lot from the "Dragon Slayer hands" and the brand but I'm a bit disappointed now. :( Of course, I was very disappointed, frustrated and shocked at the price...

I can see the brand and some patterns in the watch but can't figure out what it exactly is. I still hope it'll look damn good when it is officially shown in a few days.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
A beautiful timepiece, I little costly for me though.

AOW has released images on their site now.

Click Here

It looks fantastic, but I too would have liked for the hands to be dragon slayers.

It's stunning. But at that price I can see why only 200 have been made. Mind you I still think they'll go like hot-cakes - but we'll see.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I preordered it yesterday morning (soon after it got out basically). I like it but I feel like AOW could have done better. With no real hope (nothing to lose either) I sent them an enquiry about what I thought may be enhanced. I'll copy it here so you guys can share your thoughts if you want to.

Hello, I'm fan of Berserk and a watch collector and I pre-ordered the Berserk watch today. Here are however a few remarks that would in my humble opinion raise this model from "nice" to "awesome". Thank you for taking your time to consider them, even if some aren't applicable.

The Brand that is located on the crown of the watch should have been carved in it, instead of being painted red. This is a luxury watch, and the red makes it look vulgar. A carving like on other ORIENT WATCH Ltd. models (for example the King Master LE 2005) would look a lot better. Otherwise having the Brand pattern itself painted black could do.

The bracelet's design could be a little finer, that one has a "raw" look to it, it's too bad since a bracelet adds much to a watch's charm. There aren't any pictures of it available yet, but from the information on the site, the "Art of War" logo will be present on it. Well I think you should replace it by a "brand" or a Beherit from Berserk. Customers are after all not buying the watch because it is made by Art of War, but because it is a Berserk item. The Art of War logo could always be on the other side of the bracelet (inside, where it touches the skin), it's commonly done by a lot of companies.

On the dial too, I think a "Berserk" inscription in Katakana (the famous one featured on the Art of War statues and figures boxes) is needed. It doesn't appear anywhere though it's a powerful symbol and representation of Berserk. The "Art of War" writing would be under it, like in other ORIENT WATCH Ltd. models, where there is the Logo (here, the Brand), an inscription in regular and bold font (replaced by the Berserk katakana), and under that the mechanism indication "Automatic" in italics (Art of War would fill that space, in italics it would gain some style and imply refinement).

The rotating indicator ring showing times in various cities could have a better design. The plain circle featured in the "Orient Star" model is a little too "plain", that's the problem.

The watch has a 5 BAR water resistance. I think that making it 10 ATM water resistant instead of 5 would be fitting, considering the advertised strengh and rough use (like Guts would, etc).

The case and bracelet would look a lot better if they were in titanium (dark grey color), instead of Stainless Steel. That would also fit better with the tone of the watch itself in terms of color, and titanium being 40% stronger, it would be an altogether great gain in quality. If not possible, adding a dark grey coloration to the Stainless Steel used would still be good.

Finally, the Dragon Slayer hands... Well they don't really look like the Dragon Slayer. They could, that's the thing. A lot of watches have hands that are similar in shape to swords, and making the smaller hand (hours) into the shape of one of Guts' throwing knives (elongated if needed), with the longer hand (minutes) being shaped like the Dragon Slayer itself shouldn't be difficult.

I can provide you pictures to help explaining my remarks. Well, thank you again for taking the time to read my humble suggestions, and I hope that they will help you enhancing this new Art of War product before its release, if that is possible.

Aazealh said:
The Brand that is located on the crown of the watch should have been carved in it, instead of being painted red.
they really should have.
Aazealh said:
Well I think you should replace it by a "brand" or a Beherit from Berserk. Customers are after all not buying the watch because it is made by Art of War, but because it is a Berserk item. The Art of War logo could always be on the other side of the bracelet (inside, where it touches the skin), it's commonly done by a lot of companies.
Great Idea
Aazealh said:
The watch has a 5 BAR water resistance. I think that making it 10 ATM water resistant instead of 5 would be fitting, considering the advertised strengh and rough use (like Guts would, etc).

The case and bracelet would look a lot better if they were in titanium (dark grey color), instead of Stainless Steel. That would also fit better with the tone of the watch itself in terms of color, and titanium being 40% stronger, it would be an altogether great gain in quality. If not possible, adding a dark grey coloration to the Stainless Steel used would still be good.
exactly
Aazealh said:
Finally, the Dragon Slayer hands... Well they don't really look like the Dragon Slayer. They could, that's the thing. A lot of watches have hands that are similar in shape to swords, and making the smaller hand (hours) into the shape of one of Guts' throwing knives (elongated if needed), with the longer hand (minutes) being shaped like the Dragon Slayer itself shouldn't be difficult.
Aazealh you should have had a hand in making this watch lol ;D.
and is it just me or does it kind of remind you of a Omega Speedmaster in some sort of way?

anyway its a beautiful watch. i really like the skeleton back with the Hawk symbol on it. congrats on getting one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarthVenom said:
Aazealh you should have had a hand in making this watch lol

Well I wish I had! ;D

DarthVenom said:
and is it just me or does it kind of remind you of a Omega Speedmaster in some sort of way?

Well, as an Omega fan, I would say that it has a vague resemblance but nothing more (I'd like it to be a Moon Watch though ::)). The dial has some similarity, with the usual tachymètre replaced by the world time indicator, but the Berserk watch doesn't have a Chronograph, the Power-Reserve and Date indicators taking its place, and the "logo" is at 3 o' clock instead of 12.

Otherwise in terms of features they're not so different yeah (minus the Small seconds), the automatic Speedmasters usually have a 48h Power Reserve, while the Berserk watch has a 44h one. Let's just say that in terms of general design they're not too far from each other.

DarthVenom said:
anyway its a beautiful watch. i really like the skeleton back with the Hawk symbol on it. congrats on getting one.

Well, it's a nice piece indeed and I can't wait to get it, thanks. :)

Aazealh said:
I preordered it yesterday morning (soon after it got out basically). I like it but I feel like AOW could have done better. With no real hope (nothing to lose either) I sent them an enquiry about what I thought may be enhanced. I'll copy it here so you guys can share your thoughts if you want to.

It will be interesting to see if they take any of this into consideration, being such an expensive watch and all, it's worth a try but I wouldn't be too confident about them changing it either.... but who knows.
Keep us informed on how it is when you get it. ;)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
AOW always keeping their release schedule accurate (sarcasm), I finally got my watch today. Adjusted it to my wrist size and now it fits perfectly. So here am I, basically reviving the thread just to show off. :troll:

A couple of blurry pics:

Watch02.jpg

Watch03.jpg

Such a great looking watch. I would love to have one, but its a lot of money. My GF use to work at a jewlery store, so I got my current watch for 50% off hehe.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maiku said:
Is it numbered in any way since it is limited?

Of course, all luxury watches are. I have number 57 out of 200. It's not my order number (29), for those who care (Derek! :casca:).

Aazealh said:
I have number 57 out of 200. It's not my order number (29), for those who care (Derek! :casca:).

LOL, what?? Just because I have a #666 Femto statue? :guts:

BTW, very sexy watch Aaz. Do you plan to actually wear it in public or are you going to keep it safe at home in the box or something?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
Do you plan to actually wear it in public or are you going to keep it safe at home in the box or something?

I wear it everyday, didn't buy it to keep it in the box. :zodd:

Berserk Watch

Anyone know anywhere this can be purchased besides AoW webpage. Anyone know anyone reselling it? I think now that the fact has come around that i cant get this (all the banks in my area dont to wire transfers with yen amount. So i have to get them a dollar amount, which unless AoW gives me one is not gonna work), I want it more than ever :p

So if you can or would keep an eye out for me. would much appreciate it guys and gals.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Berserk Watch

Darkadien Zurel said:
Anyone know anywhere this can be purchased besides AoW webpage.

It can only be purchased from their webpage. Although, on October 21 (friday), from 3:45 to 4:45 AM (yes, that's early), the watch will be advertised on TV Tokyo Channel 12, in a home shopping TV show called シナモン ("Cinnamon"). I doubt that helps you unfortunately.

Darkadien Zurel said:
Anyone know anyone reselling it?

I've never seen anybody reselling it, no.

Wow, I didn't realize this version of the watch had been around a very long time (being 2010 now), and it's still available! I've ordered it however since I too am a watch enthusiast (Tag Heuer to be precise). I should get mine by early September, and will keep you guys posted ^_^

Aazealh, have you had any problems with the watch since 2005?

I love your ideas for what could've been a Berserk watch instead. I was told it was designed by the President of AOW himself. Did they get back to you on your suggestions?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Aazealh, have you had any problems with the watch since 2005?

None whatsoever, and I've been wearing it practically every day. Well, now that I think more, the red coating on the crown fell off soon after I got it, but I actually like the watch better without it (looks tacky IMHO), so I don't consider that a problem.

IncantatioN said:
I love your ideas for what could've been a Berserk watch instead. I was told it was designed by the President of AOW himself. Did they get back to you on your suggestions?

I think they might have replied with "thank you for your feedback", but obviously at the time it was too late to change anything and they didn't plan on making another model (I'm not counting the white version since it's just a color swap).

Aaaahh cool beans.

I was surprised to see the White one go out of print before the Black version. And, I'd love to see a black leather strap on this one instead of the silver one. What'd make it cooler would be art of a bleeding Behelit (the one when there's the eclipse) probably in place where you'd find the AOW logo.

The interior of the watch, if it's not based off another already made watch, could open a lot of possibilities in terms of ideas. Like it could be modeled after Femto, and his wide eyes on the side of his helmet, picture that as the main dial, with each eye functioning as the date and/ seconds hand. Oh god, I don't know if it's a terrible idea or a decent one *too burnt out at work* haha! I'm just rambling heh ...

Top Bottom