We are DOOMed

Anyone see Doom yet?

I saw it the other night and I gotta say, it's probably the best videogame to movie adaptation yet. That's not to say it's a great movie. It was a fun ride and I was entertained.

It had it's funny moments too in the form of amusing one liners. "Semper Fi, Mother Fucker!" It's funny to see how badly Sarge (Rock) wants to get his hands on the BFG.

The mutants (not demons) looked pretty cool. You could tell the guy who did the creature effects on the Alien movies was on board for this one.

The music was so-so. It fit in certain areas, and could have been better in others.

Surprisingly the FPS segment wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I found myslef saying (to myself) "What the hell are you doing, look the other way." It was like watching someone else play an FPS who does things differently than you. I'm more of a go in guns blazing. With this you saw him pearing around the corners and stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an FPS segment in the upcoming Halo movie.

I would give this movie 3/5. It was fun. But it was stupid fun :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't see it, but it's perfect. A stunningly awesome and amazingly incredible experience, unrivalized by anything that was, that is, or that will be in the history of the universe. Besides 40.2% of its ratings are 10/10 on IMDb.

Anyway, your opinion reminds me of IGN's review, down to the 3/5 stars and best videogame adaptation. It's getting horrible reviews on rottentomatoes.com but I guess I'll get around to see it out of morbid curiosity anyway, as a fan of DooM nothing scares me anymore (who doesn't love the DooM comics? :carcus:).

It wasn't an amazingly groundbreaking movie. And it wasn't the trash of the trash of movies. It was just fun. It has those tense scaryish moments like you have in Alien, or some equivalent. It has violence, it's got language, it's got action, and it has a few scares.

But like IGN said, it's lacking in the character development department.

Spoliers below:

The Rock pulls a complete 180 and it's like WTF. But with all the shit that happens on Mars, I can see how you can go a little nuts.

IGN had a pretty accurate review. Other reviews are going to view from a movie goers perspective. My view is from someone who's played the games.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
But like IGN said, it's lacking in the character development department.

Hehe, well it's not like the characters in the original games were very talkative anyway. :guts:

demon.gif

I would have to agree with dwarfkicker's review. I saw the movie and wasn't overly cringing througout the movie (there were some wtf moments, however). I really enjoyed the FPS segment, and the character of Sarge. Rock's performance was easily the best in the movie, while Karl Urban's sort of left me a little disappointed.

Well I get annoyed with a lot of profesional reviewers because they dont seem to have any sense to them. Its like they're dead to the movies they watch and dont try to learn anything about them before going in and dont seem to care about what they just watched, but what they saw. To most it seems like every movie must be looking to be an oscar contender to be even decent, and has to be a great drama to be excellent. I just get annoyed reading a lot of the reviews for this movie.

Its not like it was a great movie, or even good. It was a fun 80's type action flick, nothing more, nothing less but whatever.

I just got back from watching it, and best I can say is that the FPS was actually the best part. First time i ever saw something like that so, my compliments to the makers for making something new while still staying on the side of " its based off a game so lets stick to game ideas"  :void:..

i gota say it makes me wanna buy a 486 and play some doom 1 and 2 :chomp: ahh the good old days.

One thing i was disapointed in, (there are many disapointments) was that I woulda liked seeing some doom 2 monsters in the movie.. a baron or even a cyberdemon. not just mutated mummy looking things. ow well, i give it a well deserved 3/5 stars  for making something decent from a game, using quite new ideas, not having the rock as the very main character, and for putting in a bfg ( dooms not doom without that thing)  :schierke:
minus -stars for, having the same thing happan over and over again. ( person is on look out then obviusly something sneaks up on em, however they broadcast this way to well, as all music is absent and replaced purely by a loud scream like growl. as in every horror movie. !!!!! worth sneaking into,but not own!!!!

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Sounds like it's at least worth a rental. I'm kinda disapointed by how they dropped the whole demonic thing and taped in the overused 'eval mutent monstars!!1!11' routine. If demons aren't original enough, then genetic experiments gone bad must have stepped out of the cliche area and into the toilet.

Look at it this way, if they do eventually get around to a sequel (they most likely will), they can easily tie this gene/virus/chromosome into some kind of demonic origins. Plus, with further excavations into the dig they can come upon the usual Doom demonic portal. And then bam, we've got demons.

Whether that's the route they take or not is unknown. But I'm willing to bet they'll go another way.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
HawaiianStallion said:
Its not like it was a great movie, or even good. It was a fun 80's type action flick, nothing more, nothing less but whatever.

Hey now, it's no small feat to be on par with those grand old 80's action flicks. Can it really stand up to this competition...

http://s101758275.onlinehome.us/agldata/commandofans/essential.html

... or, does it wilt under mid-90's onward B grade action movie mediocrity (don't forget the bad CGI)? Uwe Boll or Paul Anderson didn't direct it, so that's two things for it right there. :guts:

dwarfkicker said:
Look at it this way, if they do eventually get around to a sequel (they most likely will), they can easily tie this gene/virus/chromosome into some kind of demonic origins.  Plus, with further excavations into the dig they can come upon the usual Doom demonic portal.  And then bam, we've got demons.

Then why not just pretend the original game was about Mutants, or that up is down? =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'm surprised that a movie where "faithfullness" to the game is a selling point they'd leave out such an important detail. The demons are from hell, not the Resident Evil movies... :schierke:

Might be a fun renter at a party, where we put it on and make fun of it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith is right guys, why do you think the good old action flicks stopped being made? Because they weren't cool anymore? Wrong, it's because there's no talented people to make them anymore, so they make Ice T movies instead. DooM isn't up to par with Aliens, but if it were it would get excellent reviews.

CnC said:
I'm surprised that a movie where "faithfullness" to the game is a selling point they'd leave out such an important detail. The demons are from hell, not the Resident Evil movies... :schierke:

Don't bitch too much, they already changed the scenario at the very last moment to move the setting to Mars, under fan pressure... Now if it had taken place in a secret lab it would have been a total RE rip-off.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Now if it had taken place in a secret lab it would have been a total RE rip-off.

But it IS a secret lab. Only its on Mars.

EDIT: #1 in last weekends box office, btw. woot w00t!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Seeing as I have no real intention to see this movie, I feel I can judge it without reservation.

Aazealh said:
Well it was a secret lab on Mars in the game anyway, I meant a secret lab NOT on Mars. Need more precision? :schierke:

Is the lab not secret in the movie?
Precision, eh? Only if you promise to use more of those :schierke: :schierke: smileys! I love em! :guts:

Top Bottom