Here is a picture I'm trying to color...

It's noting compared to Lith's stuff, but I try.

The bad thing is I always get stuck and stop.  I dont think I'm good with colors  :puck:

click on the thumbnail

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Couldnt have picked a better picture myself to color my friend. It will be a very long task but at the end it will be worth it! I wish you good luck! :guts:

For a little insperation on how a big project can turn out, here is something I did way back when Grunbeld first turned into his Dragon form and was fighting with Gut's.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Rick, its looking good so far. If you do a good job on the finished product i will worship you. I cannot express how beautiful I think that illustration is.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Keep at it, you're off to a good start. Like everyone has said, the source material is damn good to begin with, so it can only improve, right? :guts:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Looks good so far. My only suggestion is to lighten up on the fire. Fire is bright, so don't drown it with too much Orange. I'd use a bit more yellow.

update  :puck:

08-09444.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We get a lot of fog in my area of the mountains, i see it almost daily. I can assure you, fog is not blue. It's a white/grey color.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
You could also make it purple. When the Ganishcannibus fumes start gettin' to ya, colors aren't as important :badbone:.

In any case, it's coming along well. I still think the fire needs improvement, but the teeth look pretty much perfect. Can't wait to see more of it done.

Walter said:
We get a lot of fog in my area of the mountains, i see it almost daily.  I can assure you, fog is not blue.  It's a white/grey color.

Although you can't know how fog looks like near fire, cause you can't have fog and fire at the same time.
Since this is a magical fog, it's there all right and I would go for a colour near purple, respecting the reflections of the flames in the fog.

EDIT: Oh, Vaxillus it seems we picked up the same colour.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
My advice would be to do each the same phase on every single character at the same time. This way you'll have the same frame of mind for each section and maybe get into a pattern...

It's been awhile since I did a colouring though.. so do what you think is easiest :miura:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
After I drove home today, I realized that fog's color changes based on its light source. During the sunset today, the fog around the mountains (at a distance) went from orange to purple. I'm going to maintain that the fog should be the color of the fire. None of this magic purple nonsense... Fog is fog. If it were otherwise it'd be called Mog.

CnC

Ad Oculos
The fog's better. But as walter says, fog usually picks up it surrounding light.
This is thicker fog and the figures can't be seen, so unless you're planning on drawing the rest of the figures, I guess you can't be photo realistic.

But hey! its improving already :guts:

Walter said:
After I drove home today, I realized that fog's color changes based on its light source.  During the sunset today, the fog around the mountains (at a distance) went from orange to purple.  I'm going to maintain that the fog should be the color of the fire.  None of this magic purple nonsense... Fog is fog. If it were otherwise it'd be called Mog.

But if you colour the fog the same colour with fire the Daka will seem like they are burning or something.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
But if you colour the fog the same colour with fire the Daka will seem like they are burning or something.
So we should change physics to save the lives of the daka?

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Special effects like the fog should come at the end, really.. you don't want to have to colour over it and make it look real -- unless you've managed your layers properly.

Walter said:
After I drove home today, I realized that fog's color changes based on its light source. During the sunset today, the fog around the mountains (at a distance) went from orange to purple. I'm going to maintain that the fog should be the color of the fire. None of this magic purple nonsense... Fog is fog. If it were otherwise it'd be called Mog.
... for some reason, that reminded me of something this guy would say inside Arsenal Gear..

1b.jpg

Edit: .... I thought this might be a valuable addition to the debate:

The%20Fog.jpg

... daka, desu ka?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clear things up, here's a picture of a forest fire in the midst of fog (it was taken in Ketchikan, Alaska).

Ketchikan.%20fire%20in%20the%20fog.jpg
©2004, Chip Porter

And fog colored by sunset:

FogFireA.jpg

©David Carroll

Like Walter said, given the location and the importance of the fire, the fog should at least partially reproduce its color. Otherwise, the current white/grayish color you gave it is fine I think rick, you should keep special effects like this for the very end IMO. Anyway, you don't even necessarily need to bother with it, it doesn't have to be photo-realistic like CnC said.

the fire is right after / during the ball right? balls (lol) always begin in the evening/night right?

any picture of fire with fog at night? :eek:

Top Bottom