Anyone wonder how Guts met Godot?

I am not sure if these was mention before (In this forum or in the manga itself)... If yes I sincerely apologise...

I just hope i didnt miss that part :p

No I don't recall hearing about how they met either, I just assumed Guts met him during the year he left the Hawks after defeating Griffith.

Sparnage said:
No I don't recall hearing about how they met either, I just assumed Guts met him during the year he left the Hawks after defeating Griffith.

And they became so close?

Kinda set me thinking...

They had a sort of kinship: Godo spent all his life as a blacksmith and beating the iron in front of him, Guts spent his entire life wielding his sword. Godo understood that, and gave him encouraging words, snippets of advice and wisdom that only Guts would probably understand (such as the sparks). In many ways, Godo is Guts' father figure.

CnC

Ad Oculos
yota821 said:
They had a sort of kinship: Godo spent all his life as a blacksmith and beating the iron in front of him, Guts spent his entire life wielding his sword. Godo understood that, and gave him encouraging words, snippets of advice and wisdom that only Guts would probably understand (such as the sparks). In many ways, Godo is Guts' father figure.

Kinship, yes. But I think thats enough. Theres no doubt Guts had respect for Godo and trusted him, and welcomed and accepted his advice, but not on a paternal level.
Godo's advice however was mostly from a standpoint of experience, rather than being encouraging.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yota821 said:
Yeah, I guess father figure is a bit much. His last conversation with Guts had a feeling of paternal concern though (IMO, anyway).

Yeah, I can't agree with the father figure thing. Gambino will always be Guts' father, it's part of his character. Guts and Godot did develop a somewhat close relationship toward the end though, and I think Guts took Godot's words very seriously.

Aazealh said:
and I think Guts took Godot's words very seriously.

Beside that on Godo part... He allow Casca (and Guts previously) to stay at his place/home for 2 years... So I believe they do have a close friendship...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Smith said:
Beside that on Godo part... He allow Casca (and Guts previously) to stay at his place/home for 2 years... So I believe they do have a close friendship...
Right, nobody's really debating that. Its how they met that is mystery....

CnC said:
Right, nobody's really debating that. Its how they met that is mystery....

Somehow I am thinking he may have known Godo for a long time... I mean where he got all the long and huge swords since he was 15?

Since I just re-read Volume9&10 I think that Godo find Guts almost dead(because of his training)and heal him, after that...a swordsman and a smith they could only be friend :badbone:
Now it's just IMO but look at vol10 p.10 and just tell me what you think

CnC

Ad Oculos
Mad Angel Loki said:
Since I just re-read Volume9&10 I think that Godo find Guts almost dead(because of his training)and heal him, after that...a swordsman and a smith they could only be friend :badbone:
Now it's just IMO but look at vol10 p.10 and just tell me what you think

If you're referring to the training excercise with the logs on the waterfall, that takes place during Guts' stay at Godo's. Its not how they met.

I'm not referring to the scene itself but rather to what Goto say (I dunno exactly what it is in english ) "For a week I tought you were a zombi and NOW you try to commit suicide" if the suicide is the training that Guts was doing in the waterfall so MAYBE the zombi thing is when he met him finding Guts in a poor state

Nope, he refers to the fact that he thought Guts wasn't doing anything for a week, like 'bored out like a zombie', or something to that effect. I don't have the exact words in front of me right now, but it has nothing to do with Godo meeting Guts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yota821 said:
Nope, he refers to the fact that he thought Guts wasn't doing anything for a week, like 'bored out like a zombie', or something to that effect. I don't have the exact words in front of me right now, but it has nothing to do with Godo meeting Guts.

Yeah, he just says that Guts "looked like a dead man", meaning with a vacant look on his face or something to that extent. I confirm that it has nothing to do with meeting Guts.

Now if you really need a reason as to how they met, Guts must have needed a blacksmith to repair his sword since his training was rather intensive. And if the "logs falling down the waterfall" thing is any indication of what his routine was, he probably went there pretty often.

Okay I bet I misunderstand this
Aazealh said:
Now if you really need a reason as to how they met, Guts must have needed a blacksmith to repair his sword since his training was rather intensive. And if the "logs falling down the waterfall" thing is any indication of what his routine was, he probably went there pretty often.
it was my first tough but I dunno why but when I read the french version(celle de Glenat, ce mois ci) I had this impression so...

Lliugusamui

around the corner
As for how they met, I think Guts could have met Godo between the age of 11 and 15. Just some repairing once or twice. So when he'd leave the Hawks, he thinks : there's that old smith in the mountain who's not so bad, i could go there and train while having some one to care on my health.

Uh?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
*Gyom* said:
As for how they met, I think Guts could have met Godo between the age of 11 and 15. Just some repairing once or twice.

Hmm, while it's not completely impossible, I don't think that was the case. I mean, there's just no reference whatsoever about something like this, so I take it for granted that he met him during that year he spent away from the Hawks.

Heres some speculation to consider. anyone remember (from the anime, i forget if its in the manga) what hapans after guts training? A soldier runs up to Godo and tells him to make as many swords as he can!! because there chasing the Band of the Hawk. Sounds to me like Godo mass produces.

Guts had a huge sword (for his size) in his fight with Bazuso or whatever that fat lard was called. *The grey knight with the axe* that was before the band of the hawk. So whats a time Guts and Godo could of met? when Guts was with Gambino. Gambino and there group needed weapons so they got some made! Guts was probably the errand boy running weapon orders back and forth. Godo had a sudden case of deja Vu. *small child on a battlefield* "Erica" cough* and thats how they met. :serpico:

That or after he killed Gambino, when he was found by another Merc group something of the same sort happaned. >_<

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
anyone remember (from the anime, i forget if its in the manga) what hapans after guts training? A soldier runs up to Godo and tells him to make as many swords as he can!!

It's not in the manga, so it's pretty much worthless, sorry.

Ramen4ever said:
So whats a time Guts and Godo could of met? when Guts was with Gambino.

When we see the flashback that shows Guts training at Godot's place, they look like they've met very recently, so I very highly doubt that. There's really no reason to assume that they didn't meet during Guts' year away from the Hawks.

"There's really no reason to assume that they didn't meet during Gut's year away from the Hawks"

I stand.. well sit corrected
Year away? after he leaves Griffith?

What about Guts having that big sword in his fight with Bazuso? :schierke:
I think I spelled the name right. :puck:
Godot is the only Blacksmith I've heard of that actually makes abnormally large swords

by the way is it Godo or Godot?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Year away? after he leaves Griffith?

The year he spent wandering after he left the Hawks, defeating Griffith during their duel in the snow.

Ramen4ever said:
What about Guts haveing that big sword in his fight with Bazuso? :schierke:

He has fought with big swords since his youngest age. He used weapons for adults when he was a kid and naturally moved on to bigger swords as he grew up. There's no reason to assume that Godot made the one he had at that time... For example, after Guts' sword broke against Boscone he got a new one, and it wasn't forged by Godot (same for Zodd's swords). He made the Dragon Slayer which is a quasi-inhuman weapon, but that doesn't mean he specialized in huge swords (he didn't), nor that he was the only one able to forge swords above the "regular" size. The DS is an exception, and it can't really compare to any other weapon. Besides, what other blacksmith have you heard of apart from Godot?

Ramen4ever said:
I think I spelled the name right. :puck:

Well it's "バズーソ", there's a long vowel on the 'u' so it should be "Bazûso" to be exact. There's no other known spelling.

Ramen4ever said:
by the way is it Godo or Godot?

Well there's a long vowel on the second "o" (ゴドー), so while nothing is certain, I'm pretty confident about it being "Godot". That would be a reference to the play Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett, which is spelled the same way in Japanese too.

Top Bottom