Who plays RPGs? What's your favorite?

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Re: Who play's RPG's? What's your favorite?

As for me, it would be the Diceless Amber RPG, it is not a video game and quite old in the industry, but it's damn great. And i got so bored playing video games like diablo2...though i've spent hours and hours on them a few years ago, i find them really too limited. :griff:

Vetrox

Bring it you mumin!

Hey, were talking about your FAVOURITE RPG, don't list all you've played. :troll:

I was going to be completely original and say FFVI, but I'll just bore you adn say BG2. When you play it through with a friend, only you and him, thats without sidekicks, the game rules. Although tehir conversations are funny...

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Vetrox said:
Hey, were talking about your FAVOURITE RPG, don't list all you've played.  :troll:

I was going to be completely original and say FFVI, but I'll just bore you adn say BG2. When you play it through with a friend, only you and him, thats without sidekicks, the game rules. Although tehir conversations are funny...

How is mentioning a FF game original?

CnC

Ad Oculos

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
He is new. Nor did he use the Troll icon to show his sarcasm such as :troll:

or :chomp: :troll:

I always thought it was :schierke:, or maybe even :griff:

And yes, FFVI was totally unoriginal.
:griff:

Spent countless days of my youth playing Might and Magic games, more specifically IV + V which combined into one hell of a game <3

AMAGAD Deus Ex(although dubiously an "rpg") was an amazing game.  Tracer Tong 4EvA

Although I'm not a huge fan of Japanese made RPGs, FF 6 and 7 were amazing and friends from college FORCED me to play FFXI with them for the last 2 years.  I am co-leader of the largest "guild" on my server.  :/

On a side note..... HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  \:troll:  The power of emoticons...

The battle system is the best thing about recent RPG's for me. It beats the "watch an attack happen" ideal for most games now days.

Bob, I think you'd enjoy the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 2. That's the result of when an action game colides with an RPG. And the best part, it feels right.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

dwarfkicker said:
Bob, I think you'd enjoy the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 2.  That's the result of when an action game colides with an RPG.  And the best part, it feels right.

Maybe I didn't like Kingdom Hearts 1 very much. Well could be because I didn't beat it. =\

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

The final "world" of Kingdom Hearts (Hollow Bastion) was the only worthwhile section of the entire game. And it lasted about 30 minutes, finishing with the most frustratingly difficult boss fight in the entire game, which, if you lose (and you will), you have to sit through the preceding 3 minute cut scene again, without the ability to skip it.

Fun stuff!

single player games: too many to list..dq...ff..lots more

for online games:
diablo2/xpac, DAOC, abit EQ and FF
but mainly d2..i played that since 1.05 to 1.10 lol like 3, 4 years?

CnC

Ad Oculos

Walter said:
you have to sit through the preceding 3 minute cut scene again, without the ability to skip it.

Fun stuff!

ugh... I hate that...

kubricka said:
but mainly d2..i played that since 1.05 to 1.10 lol like 3, 4 years?

played from beta to 1.09. tried to pick it up again recently but couldn't.

CnC said:
played from beta to 1.09.  tried to pick it up again recently but couldn't.
i stopped playing since jan this year. ive been all the high/lows in useast. 2 bad all the dupe cruels ethereals ruined the game...

ghadrack

Not a llama or your momma!

Uggh, FF8 ... I hated the characters so much in that game that I actually, intentionally draged two dead corpses through roughly 70% of the game so I wouldn't have to use their attacks and sit through their animations.

I am playing through Legend of Heroes on the PSP right now, it is a turn based very simple RPG so far, so far the formula has been fairly bland, girl abducted, boy going to rescue her on sent on missions to gain rank and the right to travel freely through the kingdom. I like the game, I love RPG's on portable systems, nothign passes the time on a plane, a bus or in a waiting room like them, but this one seems a little uninspired so far, good graphics but the stoy hasn't dragged me in, hopefully some major plot turn is around the corner.

FF Tactics,still one my favoraite games ever, I played that game through three times to completion and twice to a point where I couldn't continue due to impossible random encounter sequences.

I have a running stockpile of games I haven't had time to play, Shin Megami Taisen Nocture, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Disgaea, Breath of Fire 3, Dark Cloud 2 and about 20 others. Maybe I will get lucky and break my leg so i ca stay home from work for a month or two and catch up a little :)

man i love rpgs im curently playing shining force 3 part 3
shining force neo
dragon quest 8
and magna carta

teranigma is my all time fave rpg
cant wait for valkryie profile 2 at the moment

Breath of Fire 1 and Bahamut Lagoon are my favorites, although it's been a while since I've played them...
I've been playing a lot of Diablo II recently, along with Nanobreaker (not that that's an RPG).
And w00t for FF6, which is so much better than 7 IMO...

Im the biggest fan of
Wild Arms 2&3
Harvest Moon
Chrono Trigger/Cross
Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, Tactics, Tactics Adv.
Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia
Secret of Mana 1&2
Breath of Fire 1&2
Golden Sun 1&2
Legend of Mana
Xenogears
The Legend of Zelda
Kingdom Hearts
Dragon Quest
Xenosaga
Grandia 3
Super Mario RPG
Suikoden 1-3

final fantasy 7 when I was younger heh.

Don't really play games anymore because there aren't new cool RPG games anymore...

just my opinion off course. :void:

Metalbolt

I'm on TV, so I must be True!

Eh, why not...

Valkyrie Profile (one of the most original sprite based games ever, even if it was based loosely off of the ring of the nibelung)
Phantom Brave (disgaea minus all of the tedium)
Septerra Core (chrono trigger plus the monolith gaming engine, plus future crazy story line, awesome.)
And although not really an rpg, it used an rpg like game system (level up, random battles/races)... Final Lap Twin for the TG-16

I kinda got out of rpg's when the "real world" hit me. These days, I'd rather read a book for a good story. It's quicker, and I don't have to waste 2 hours power leveling before each bit of story.

Im and RPG junkie and my fav is Final Finatasy 3 or FF6 (as they call it in Japan) I think its absolutley epic.

egg of the king

Mort pour Rien

Smith said:
Baldur's Gate... The very first one... (Anyone here play before?)

I wondered if that can be considered as RPG in the first place...

Best game ever, besides 2 that is. I still think it's superior to the later D and D based versions.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

egg of the king said:
Best game ever, besides 2 that is. I still think it's superior to the later D and D based versions.

Well the first Baldur's Gate used AD&D rules and those that followed just went with newer ones. But the series was always D&D-based. Baldur's Gate itself and the Sword Coast are part of the Forgotten Realms.

Rege

Looking for MY sparkles...

This is my first post, so hello to all posters.

I'm not into computer RPGs but the "paper" ones have been my hobby for many years. It's hard to choose the favourite one, however, the first title that sprang to my mind is Legend of the Five Rings - fantastic role-play. Playing a samurai can be quite a demanding task for a westerner at the beginning but, of course, everything depends with whom are you playing.

@ Gyom . I haven't played Amber but I heard a lot about the system with no dice throws - it formed a basis to many other non-dice RPGs.

Top Bottom