What are the chances of the Berserk artbooks coming to the US?

Since One Piece was picked up by Viz and 4kids, they translated the art book for it and brought it to the US. Does Dark Horse have any plans of translating any of the manga art books and bringing it to the US? The only place I know where to get the Berserk manga artbook is eBay and I don't want to buy it from there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tell Me Why said:
Does Dark Horse have any plans of translating any of the manga art books and bringing it to the US?

They didn't announce anything regarding the artbooks, so don't expect a release for now. You can always ask Chris Warner about it though.

Tell Me Why said:
The only place I know where to get the Berserk manga artbook is eBay and I don't want to buy it from there.

There are 3 Berserk artbooks in total, plus a postcard book. They're not hard to find on online import shops. Sasuga Bookstore has 3 of them, it misses the anime artbook. Not a big deal since other places like Anime Shop have it.

Berserk Illustrations File
Berserk Visual & Story Files (Dreamcast game artbook)
War Cry: Berserk Postcard Book
Berserk Animation artbook

Of course, they're in Japanese.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
I got the other three and a double of the post card book. Does anyone have the Dreamcast book? Is it any good? Can you give a run down of what we can expect for art in it?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Meathook said:
Does anyone have the Dreamcast book? Is it any good?

Yes and yes.

Meathook said:
Can you give a run down of what we can expect for art in it?

There's the art from the game (painted still scenes) as well as the sketches the characters in game were based on, all done by Miura. Plus some other stuff. Please run a search on the board about it if you want more info, it's not this thread's topic.

Aazealh said:
They didn't announce anything regarding the artbooks, so don't expect a release for now. You can always ask Chris Warner about it though.

Hi everybody,

Chris Warner here. Dark Horse has investigated these books, but mass-market book buyers apparently told us that they weren't interested in the titles. Some of the thinking, I'm sure, is that since the main appeal of art books is art, translations aren't all that critical, and the Japanese editions aren't that hard to get. The way to go might be to do some some sort of compendium edition that takes the best from several books and ends up being a distinct entity with a lot of art at a great price. Art books generally aren't big sellers, but Berserk is popular enough, I think, that a project like this might do okay. We'll take another look at this, and I'll let you know if anything happens.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Chris Warner said:
I'm sure, is that since the main appeal of art books is art, translations aren't all that critical

Well actually, these artbooks do feature quite a lot of text, so translated versions would definitely be a plus (the Berserk Illustrations File was translated into German for info). I understand your point about mass-market though.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Thanks for the heads-up, Chris! I agree with Aazealh that there is quite a lot of text in the artbooks that needs translating. :beast: The Kentarou Miura interview is something I've been interested in for quite some time. :miura: I think an original, compilation artbook would be a cool idea, too. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tell Me Why said:
Which Berserk artbook is better and more up-to-date? Illustration File or Visual and Story File?

The Visual & Story File is about the Dreamcast game, so it's more actual but also smaller, with less pages, and entirely focused on the DC game. The Illustrations File is bigger, it's the oldest artbook but it focuses on the manga (13 first volumes) and features the covers art as well as original color pages from the old pre-publications.

All in all, I recommend you the Berserk Illustrations File over the others if you want to buy only one of them. There's no really recent artbook unfortunately, we're waiting for one to come out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tell Me Why said:
Have any of you ever purchased something online from Sasuga's Japanese bookstore? I'm not sure if it's the most reliable website.

Many people did and still do, Walter for example. It's reliable.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Tell Me Why said:
Have any of you ever purchased something online from Sasuga's Japanese bookstore? I'm not sure if it's the most reliable website.

I don't currently order from them but I Always look for their booth at Anime Central (convention) every year. They have a fantastic selection of Berserk goodies and sometimes a statue or two. (Gotta start shopping from their online store)

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Sasuga is great, I got most of the Japanese series of BLAME! from them.  If you're looking for another good bookstore to actually walk in and buy something from Kinokuniya has a great selection and plenty of Locations.  Their website is mostly Japanese though.

Top Bottom