Naruto filler arcs

So I decided to catch up on Naruto.......

I'm watching episode 157 and are you fucking kidding me. "The curry of life" how bad is that.

I know the anime has caught up to the manga and that they need to let the manga get farther ahead but why not just take a season off. This shit is horrible.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
lol, another Naruto discussion eh? Personally I enjoy it (although not the filler) but I refuse to delve any deeper into it here, as the posts above mine demonstrate the reaction I'd also receive, hehe. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I refuse to delve any deeper into it here, as the posts above mine demonstrate the reaction I'd also receive, hehe.

Don't blame your lack of convictions on others.

I got into it recently, it's nothing special but I dont mind it. Can someone tell me when the filler episodes start?
I don't really know anything about them but presume they are just recaping old eps unless I am mistaken.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Full Metal Panic. Great series. Not really into the whole mech thing but it does a good job of balancing it out with some good comedy. Just got done watching the 2nd Raid segement of the series.. good stuff.. anyways, yea :casca:

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Naruto =
DBZ
+ Plot(something other then punchypunchypunchypunchy)
+ Theme(the same one over and over again)
+ Pacing (most of the time anyways)
+ Varity(ya more variety then punching and energy beams)
+ 25 weeks of filler episodes (only 19 weeks left  :schierke:)

But why are we talking about this when we could be talking about something hyperviolent and oversexed like Gantz or Berserk?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Bleak Harvest said:
One Piece is the only Shounen Jump title that holds my love since I started reading it :badbone:

I've yet to read One Piece, but since it involves pirates I know if I start I'll probably like it. :serpico:

One Piece > Naruto based on the fact that Pirates > Ninjas. I rest my case. :puck:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Majin Tenshi said:
Naruto =
DBZ
+ Plot(something other then punchypunchypunchypunchy)
+ Theme(the same one over and over again)
+ Pacing (most of the time anyways)
+ Varity(ya more variety then punching and energy beams)
+ 25 weeks of filler episodes (only 19 weeks left :schierke:)

But why are we talking about this when we could be talking about something hyperviolent and oversexed like Gantz or Berserk?

//Equation continued

+ninja... children. training to become... nothing close to what a ninja is...
+secret villages that are the size of cities and everyone knows where it is...
+shitty animation 95% of the time (they blew their load on some scenes, admittedly. Probably outsourced that shit)
-"variety" (not varity) replace punches and energy beams with shuriken
-theme being naruto yet again surprises everyone (yet again)
-Pacing (I lost count on how many times we see a 5 minute flashback to recycled animation)

// haven't seen "ALL" the episodes or read "ALL" the manga but seen enough to pick up the patterns.
// Might as well interject that I"m judging a kids show. I guess not too many shows like this stand up to scrutiny. But lets not kid
// ourselves, it IS a kids show...
// :schierke:

Majin_Tenshi

Naruto's theme is actually the desire for acceptance, and it gets beat into your skull about every 3 episodes.  Really, the point has been made at least 20 times. 

The variety in special abilities is substantial, and the styles of their basics has some nice variety too. 
Compare Shikamaru to anyone.  He is a "genius tactician" and manipulates his shadow (you know better then trying to apply realism to that) to force his opponents to copy his movements.  Later he learns to attack with it. 
Garra manipulates sand in a variety of ways to fight.
Sasuke has high level basic skills (hand to hand, shrunken, wires, ect) the copy eye that predicts movements, and fire techniques.
Naruto basics are acceptable but don't shine. He fights with his Shadow clones and stamina (natural and demon granted).

BTW, something else I like about Naruto is its sense of history. It has a problem of only stretching back a few generations, but you don't get the feeling that all of a sudden, this generation is just ungodly powerful, and has completely outdone every previous generation.... ever. (Goku beating things that gods lost to, then finding, new stronger enemies).

From what I've seen of one piece, it may have more variety then Naruto. However, from what I've seen of it(admittedly the CN version), I can't take it much more seriously then Bobobo Bo Bo-Bobo or whatever its called.

As for Full Metal Panic, I never got passed the first episode. The "undercover" body guard pulling a gun in school basically made me through all interest in the show out the window... That and it didn't look like I'd see the mechs ever again.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
So different fighting varity is a good excuse to make the show run filler after filler which doesnt even appear in the manga jsut for teh sake of a few bucks? Sounds good to me! :troll:

N

Ng51386

Why not do filler episodes and make more money? The Japanese are still watching it, as are many non-Japanese viewers. If it's still going to make you money then of course you do it. The only con out of this is what everyone is saying, it'll make you sick after oh so many fillers.

What they really should had done was in between plots was do a couple of fillers, then continue on with the main plot and once that arc ended do some fillers there, that way you accomplish everything you want, and people dont get overtly pissed at the anime itself.

As for comparing DBZ to Naruto.... I've just got one thing to say to you...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Alright, one show of DBZ is over with :schierke: Naruto isnt like that at all, there is screaming, but it's not powering up for one attack, then the enemy takes the hit and does his own powering up for another attack, then who knows how many times you do it. Everytime I went over to my cousins house and he was watching it that's all they were doing, screaming and powering up for their attack. Then let's not forget about Goku coming back to life after dying and fighting one boss, then dying again, and from what I heard from my cousin he did this a couple of times!!!

Plotwise Naruto is pretty damn solid. It's the 100sum episode and we just go into what the "real" plot is, the rest was just to actually introduce everyone and setup for the real plot. Right now there are two ways the story can unfold, dealing with Orochimaru/Sasuke, or dealing with Akatsuki either way would work perfectly, and you still have the other villians to deal with. To make matters even better, all sides are intertwined with one another.

Majin_Tenshi

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
So different fighting varity is a good excuse to make the show run filler after filler which doesnt even appear in the manga jsut for teh sake of a few bucks? Sounds good to me!  :troll:
Erm, I thaught I was made the point that I thaught the fillers were stupid. :schierke: Maybe its clearer now. Anyways, i follow the manga, so the filler doesn't bug me too much. And as for the DBZ comparison, Naruto and DBZ is the same genra. Given the popularity Naruto is certain to pick up, the comparison is not without basis.

N

Ng51386

Majin Tenshi said:
Erm, I thaught I was made the point that I thaught the fillers were stupid.  :schierke:  Maybe its clearer now.  Anyways, i follow the manga, so the filler doesn't bug me too much.  And as for the DBZ comparison, Naruto and DBZ is the same genra.  Given the popularity Naruto is certain to pick up, the comparison is not without basis. 

Naruto is said to be the heir to the throne on Cartoon Network that DBZ left behind. So of course there are comparisons.

And so what if it's the same genre?

Bleach!! - An anime that's picking up steam not only in Japan, but the entire downloading society! It's even beginning to rival Naruto in populairity, well not really, but Naruto's populairity is staying stagnant at best, and Bleach is continuing on with it's main plot which is increasing it's populairity, especially now since Bleach has gotten into the climax of it's storyline.

BTW: There's a rumor started by dattebayo that they will be doing a filler season like Naruto is doing :(

As for One Piece I never got interested in it, just doesnt tickle my fancy.

The mangas are decent things to settle your yearning for the show, but it can only do so much. Plotwise there is not affect from manga to anime, but when you see the actual battle scenes, it's so different. If you compare the manga battle of Ichigo and Byakuya the bankai of Byakuya doesnt get the full effect in the manga compared to the anime. It's like a totally new battle it seemed. A mass petal blades which is able to actually move like a wave... The manga doesnt do the bankai any justice at all.

Kenshin did the same thing... after the shishio arc the rest of the anime was filler... but ya know what, so what... the anime has caught up to the manga... i would rather have filler than nothing at all for 25 weeks... sure the stories arent that great and the animation is clearly lacking, but they are new, exclusive to the anime and are always good for a laugh at the very least... and when all is said and done, it just more for you to enjoy; if you can stand the cheese...

i definitely agree, this last filler arc was insanely stupid...
it was awsome seeing lee though...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Majin Tenshi said:
we could be talking about something hyperviolent and oversexed like Gantz or Berserk?

:schierke:

Majin Tenshi said:
BTW, something else I like about Naruto is its sense of history.

Yeah, where every generation of characters is an alternate version of the last, great originality. And they pass on their techniques to one another too.

Maiku said:
Bleach I enjoy One Piece seems to be even more of a kids show than Naruto.

One Piece is just more funny and all around less pompous because it doesn't take itself as seriously. It's a better show in most respects, and quite simply more entertaining in general. They're all kids' shows anyway, Naruto, One Piece, FMA, FMP, InuYasha, Bleach. Showing some blood or not doesn't change this. If you want a series that goes somewhere, give it a chance rather than to DBZ wannabees.

Ng51386 said:
Naruto is said to be the heir to the throne on Cartoon Network that DBZ left behind. So of course there are comparisons.

There's a comparison because Kishimoto always said he was hugely inspired by Dragon Ball to make Naruto, and it's so obvious anyway it's not like it needed to be said. Cartoon Network is completely irrelevant. So what? The original Dragon Ball sure can't be compared to Naruto because no matter how much series like Naruto try they'll certainly never come to its level, something which Naruto's author gladly agrees on.

If you have to compare "DBZ" to Naruto, then compare it to the filler arc that's the topic of this thread, they're good equivalents. And as far as everlasting borefests go, wait until you get to Sasori, not that things were fascinating before but it takes the cake. So much for the "great plot" (what a joke really).

Now I'd like people to follow Psymont's example for once and to keep the discussion focused on the rather specific topic, i.e. Naruto filler episodes. There are other threads available to argue about anime and which series is more popular among the leechers, etc.

I tried to watch the fillers. Almost got killed(in a mental way) Don`t watch after episode 135, because that`s where filler hell starts.

Top Bottom