Superman: the movie teaser

Ng51386 said:
As for Spiderman, well Venom would make sense because Maryjane wa about to get married to him, and well she isnt anymore, but let's not forget, there are going to be like 7 total spidermans by the end of it.

You mean there's an "end" planned? I thought they were just going to keep making them until the franchise self-destructed.

I liked the first movie, but, c'mon, the second movie was the same damn thing all over again. Maybe if there were some sort of compelling interest in the story of Toby Maguire (Peter Parker) and Kirsten Dunst (Mary Jane), they could handle 7 or so movies. As it is, the second movie cannibalized the first because it had nothing new to add. If the third movie does the same thing then the entire series will crash and burn. Joel Schumacher might pick up the franchise for a #4, but after that it's done.

N

Ng51386

They're on contract to make up to 7 - After that they dont know for sure.

Spiderman II had a few things to add, the biggest thing was Mary Jane knowing who spiderman really is, and now they're together. The main thing about S2 was that the relationship Mary Jane and Peter Parker are not a solid couple and it'll be hard to break apart now, so now Spiderman has a super weakness :p

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Ng51386 said:
If the next batman movie doesnt have Joker, that's is simply insane. Think about it, the arch nemisis of Batman is Joker. Those two created one another, and it's just gotta be him, if it's someone else, it's just going to go so far away from the real story of batman.
No. Joe Chill killed Brucy's parrents. The only version I'm aware of where Joker killed his parrents was the 80s batman movie. (I'm ignoreing elseworlds for this)

Batman did contribute to the creation of the joker though. Some criminals pressured this guy into being their "leader" on a heist. The Red Hood. They used someone different each time as the "mastermind." Well, this guy falls in a vat of chemicals when batman tries to catch them. He was haveing a really bad day too, his pregnant wife had just died a few hours ago. He goes off the deep end, and we have Joker.

The current Red Hood is perticularly amuseing, but I'll leave that for you all to look into. Trust me, its worth it.

Ng51386 said:
They're on contract to make up to 7 - After that they dont know for sure.

Spiderman II had a few things to add, the biggest thing was Mary Jane knowing who spiderman really is, and now they're together. The main thing about S2 was that the relationship Mary Jane and Peter Parker are not a solid couple and it'll be hard to break apart now, so now Spiderman has a super weakness :p

Nah, don't give me that. The movie starts off in pretty much the same place it started off in 1... Toby Maguire playing himself as a self-pitying loser, Kirsten Dunst pretending to be attractive and semi-interested in him. We go through the same Toby Maguire learns to use his power sequence, the only difference is that now it's after the villain shows up. Kirsten Dunst has another pseudo love interest, Toby Maguire is jealous and frumpy. Kirsten Dunst gets put into danger by the villain, Toby Maguire saves her and defeats the villain. The difference is that the second one ends with them "together"... But Kirsten Dunst has already been pretty much the lady in the hand of King Kong twice now, it's not like "officiality" of their relationship will make her life being threatened somehow more important to the story, it always was important (because Mary Jane is important to Peter Parker).

By any reasonable measure, they're the same movie, just like Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 are the same movie, just with some minor differences. I just hope the next Spiderman movie is Spiderman and the Army of Darkness, otherwise I don't see how it'll redeem itself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ng51386 said:
As for Spiderman, well Venom would make sense because Maryjane wa about to get married to him, and well she isnt anymore,
MJ wasn't going to marry Eddie Brock. She was engaged to John Jameson.

But Brock is mentioned in Spiderman 2, and John Jameson just returned from space so... maybe he brought back the symbiote? Then again they could always take the symbiote in a different direction, like they did with Ultimate Spiderman.

And just so my post isn't 100% off topic... i um... well... well fuck it, I have nothing to say about Supes.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yeah, I had heard about Topher playing Venom in the 3rd Spider-Man movie. I'm pretty ticked they went with the Ultimate Venom route, since that isn't true to the original Spidey at all. Oh well. And yes, the Joker is the antagonist in the next Batman movie. I believe I saw in an earlier thread that the guy cast as him is the same one who played Marty McFly's dad in the Back to the Future trilogy. Blanking on the name. Anyway, Superman looks to be good from our brief glimpses of it in the teaser. Should be interesting how they handle the plot.

N

Ng51386

Walter said:
MJ wasn't going to marry Eddie Brock.  She was engaged to John Jameson.

But Brock is mentioned in Spiderman 2, and John Jameson just returned from space so... maybe he brought back the symbiote?  Then again they could always take the symbiote in a different direction, like they did with Ultimate Spiderman.

And just so my post isn't 100% off topic... i um... well... well fuck it, I have nothing to say about Supes.

They went into space and then the symbiote come from outer space.

But anyways, Superman returns essentailly means that they're going to continue from whjere they left off like 20 years ago ?

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Ng51386 said:
If the next batman movie doesnt have Joker, that's is simply insane. Think about it, the arch nemisis of Batman is Joker. Those two created one another, and it's just gotta be him, if it's someone else, it's just going to go so far away from the real story of batman.

Joker had absolutely nothing to do with creating Batman, and Joker's origins have never been clearly established. Besides, Joker said he prefers his past to be multiple choice, though most go with the Red Hood story Majin Tenshi mentioned.

As for Venom, I believe that was an aftermath of "Secret War" in the comics (Spidey needed a new costume, but used the wrong device, which gave him the symbiote instead), but the space shuttle was used in the cartoon, since the whole crossover would be hard to pull off.

And I tend to be skeptical about the new Superman movie, considering all the shit that it's gone through. All I can say is thank the diety of your choice that Burton's ideas got axed. And while Batman Begins was great, the butchering of John Constantine and the rest of the Hellblazer cast keeps me wary of movies based off of DC properties.

Ng51386 said:

As for Spiderman, well Venom would make sense because Maryjane wa about to get married to him, and well she isnt anymore, but let's not forget, there are going to be like 7 total spidermans by the end of it.

For Superman, Lex Luthor as a villian is a good choice. Makes good sense too.

Joker was more so around when Gordon becomes to commissioner and such later on.

As far as Maryjane about to mary venom...uhh no.

Venom (which is a symbiote that attaches itself to people)was mostly know as Eddie Brock, not Jameson's son (which is the astronaut guy maryjane was about to marry).

In the comics Venom first gets attached to spider-man. Spider-man goes into space and fights a war, then comes back to earth with the symbiote.

Eddie brock was a reporter who was going to break a big story, however spider-man ruined it by catching the real criminal guy and Eddie became a laughing stock for it basically and got crappy writings after that. That is how he started to hate spider-man.

The symbiote sort of takes spider-man's powers and spider-man wants to get rid of it.

So he goes to a church, which it just so happens that Eddie Brock is there aswell.

The church bell drives the symbiote off of spider-man and it gets attached to Eddie brock, sensing eddie brocks hate for spider-man.

Venom isn't really a "bad/evil" guy per se. He infact has helped some people before(like some homeless people). He even worked with spider-man to get rid of Carnage.

In the Fox Cartoon of spider-man it happens a bit different.

Jameson's son returns from space and the Symbiote is in the space ship. The pod lands in the river and it happens to be spider-man comes to check it out. Thus the symbiote gets onto spider-man and then it follows the comics kind of.

N

Ng51386

In the 90s cartoon anyways, the symbiote came from outerspace when the astronaut was up there. The sybiote caught a ride with the astronaught. Then the symbiote mimiced his powers. After that Brock was the one in control of the symbiote.

As far as I know, I didnt read any comics, but I just watched the 90s cartoons, same for batman. Anyways, we'll wait and see what happens for superman and everything.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ng51386 said:
They went into space and then the symbiote come from outer space.
Uhhh... what? Anyway Stiler's post explains Venom's origin very well, so I'll let this one go.
But anyways, Superman returns essentailly means that they're going to continue from whjere they left off like 20 years ago ?
It's not necessarily the same universe as the previous movies. I sincerely doubt this new Supes had a drinking problem or fought Radioactive Man like in IV. Really, they can start this movie off wherever they want to, which, to me, is the only thing the film has going for it: no fruitless backstory catch-up for the most popular super hero of all time. I'm all about 'in medias res,' movies.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Yea, but from the teaser looks like some elements of Superman's origins are to be shown.

But yea, does anyone here NOT know about superman?? no real backstory needed

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Woland said:
Joker had absolutely nothing to do with creating Batman, and Joker's origins have never been clearly established.  Besides, Joker said he prefers his past to be multiple choice, though most go with the Red Hood story Majin Tenshi mentioned.

Actualy, I think the whole Red Hood origin is pretty much set in stone.  Its been restated a number of times, even recently when Joker bought some info from Riddler at the price of keeping him safe from Hush.

As for Venom's origin:  The original would be impossible for the next movie, the TV is easy, I'm still trying to find the one from Ultimates (Edit, ok, maybe I can't find it). 

One of these days I gotta get around to watching the old supes movies.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Majin Tenshi said:
As for Venom's origin: The original would be impossible for the next movie, the TV is easy, I'm still trying to find the one from Ultimates (I should find it before anyone can give it to me so don't bother).

Yea, anyone care to summarize the "Ultimate" venom's backstory? I'm only familiar with the original

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
HawaiianStallion said:
No Singer isnt directing X3, and from what I heard, the movie is going in horrible directions such as killing off Cyclops, Magneto, Prof. X and just doing X2's storyline again, about a human who tries to destroy all mutants, but this time uses a virus. No sentinel's, no new and interesting villians like Apocalypse, and so forth, and so on and so on.

Actaully they are going to have a hot new "villan" she is going to have super stripper powers!!!111shiftyeleven!

shit you not that is what the new villan is going to be. FUCKING GAY.

The "ultimate" storyline had peter and eddie being friends.

Venom was a "suit" and not a symbiote.

Peter and eddie's dad made two of othem, one of which peter tried (and destroyed after finding out what it did) then one Eddie tried, which he kept and thus became venom.

Also of importane to note, the "ultimate" venom doesn't have the classic white spider on his costume.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Stiler said:

Peter and eddie's dad made two of othem, one of which peter tried (and destroyed after finding out what it did) then one Eddie tried, which he kept and thus became venom.

Also of importane to note, the "ultimate" venom doesn't have the classic white spider on his costume.

That ain't venom, dagnabbit :chomp:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Stiler said:

Wow. Good choice, Sam Raimi. :schierke:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Rhombaad said:
Wow. Good choice, Sam Raimi. :schierke:

Well, it'd be more plausible to introduce Brock as a rival than a friend at this point. Not to mention Brock was mentioned in the first movie when they were "trying to get a picture of spiderman" and Brock's been on it for a week. Good material for a rivalry.
And if they stated the movie with the shuttle landing or whatever they could work in venom's story.

Top Bottom