X360 - w00t I won! I got it!!

I love it how the next gen games on Xbox 360 like Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 are
already released on PC, and the Elder Scrolls 4 will also be on PC, like before most of its good games are available on other things and 360 even has games that are already released on older systems like Final Fantasy XI. I don't understand why people would waste so much money on one.

Also I don't care which system is more "powerful" when they are all about the same, its the games that make the system unless there is a big difference like N64 to Nintendo entertainment system, so you got .1 better graphics big difference... Also if you look at the xbox and xbox360 the only real difference is that the 360 is more "polished". I'd take a Nintendo DS or Playstation over a 360 any day because those are the type of games I enjoy.

What does the ps offer over the xbox besides different games?

I want an xbox 360 mainly for:

1. Live
2. Hard drive + certain games.

I'm a pc gamer first and formost (hence why I have a 6800ultra :) ) however I like consoles aswell.

I'm still looking forward to the Revolution the most out of all the next-gen consoles, mainly because they seem to be doing something innoviative whereas the 360/ps3 seem to be sticking to the generical idea of more better/sequels and such.

N

Ng51386

Stiler said:
What does the ps offer over the xbox besides different games?

I want an xbox 360 mainly for:

1. Live
2. Hard drive + certain games.

PS also has live - And certain games well that cant be helped. The games are the main selling point for any and all consoles. If you like certain games over others, then of course you go get that console.

It's "expected" that the 360 is more powerful, but nothing is set in stone.

N

Ng51386

CnC said:
not... really

not... really

The PS does have internet capabilities just like Xbox does. You dont even have to pay for it on a monthly basis either. And so does the GC, but it's crap compared to the others.

The Xbox is more powerful than the PS2 as it is now, and it's expected that the 360 will be more powerful than the PS3. There is nothing set in stone, but this is the speculation from the information that is available.

The xbox has a "central" online service though.

Unlike the ps2 where it's simply "up to the developers."

Espically with the 360, microsoft is wanting every game to have online capabilities and such.

It's like comparing old-school "dialing" to someone's computer to play an online game with them to modern "matchmaking" services that allow you to easily set up and join games of different kinds all from the same thing.

N

Ng51386

Yeah, but you have to pay for the better service whereas the other service is free after buying the hardware. I believe, not sure, but I think all of the next gen consoles come with online capabilities right out of the box.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ng51386 said:
The PS does have internet capabilities just like Xbox does. You dont even have to pay for it on a monthly basis either. And so does the GC, but it's crap compared to the others.

The PS2 online service is crap compared to Xbox live, and Sony doesn't seem to be making efforts in that direction with the PS3. Like Stiler said, their policies are really different on that topic and Sony should have learned that lesson, because it cost them with the PS2.

Ng51386 said:
Yeah, but you have to pay for the better service whereas the other service is free after buying the hardware.

Let's make it clear: the PS2 online service wasn't a commercial success, Xbox live was. And yes, every oncoming console will feature online capabilities in their standard version.

Ng51386 said:
The Xbox is more powerful than the PS2 as it is now, and it's expected that the 360 will be more powerful than the PS3.

The Xbox being more powerful than the PS2 really is irrelevant here. As for what's expected, it depends on who's expecting it... One sure thing is that the Xbox 360 will be easier to program on than the PS3, due to their architectural differences. That doesn't mean it won't be able to do as good or better. No serious analysis has deemed the Xbox 360 more powerful, and it's normal: the PS3 isn't even out yet.

Keep in mind that even if their original design was inferior to the X360 (which is unknown), they could always enhance it at the last moment.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Ng51386 said:
Pretty poor way to spend your money. Only buy a PS2 for one game? The PS2 is still a solid piece with great games still, so why not get more games. Same with the Xbox.

Arguing that the PS2 is a solid system with great games contradicts your statement that it's a poor way to spend money. Furthermore, buying games and even systems that one's not interested in to justify such a purchase is obviously less economical than simply buying what one wants at a reduced price. So, rather than the consumer mentality that he has to buy even more to get value, good advice would be that he avoid the whole process and rent/borrow the items.

N

Ng51386

"Griffith No More!" said:
Arguing that the PS2 is a solid system with great games contradicts your statement that it's a poor way to spend money. Furthermore, buying games and even systems that one's not interested in to justify such a purchase is obviously less economical than simply buying what one wants at a reduced price. So, rather than the consumer mentality that he has to buy even more to get value, good advice would be that he avoid the whole process and rent/borrow the items.

There is more than one way to get a game, one of them is borrowing/renting or even downloading them. Even if the PS2 were to be sold at a reduced price, the price would be around 75-100 (estimate) so that's quite an amount to use when it's an older generation console.

And no, it wasnt a contradiction saying it's a solid system with great games and it's a poor way to spend money. Because the PS3 (whenever it comes out) will be backwards compatible. So you dont need to have a PS2 to play those games. Many things are solid, and cheap, but it'd still be a bad idea to get them sometimes, and there are times when it is a good idea to buy those things.

But would it make sense to you to buy one new console to play just one game? Or would it make more sense to buy one new console and play multiple games on it? Whether or not you pay 50 dollars to get those games is another story, let's just say you borrow them all :p

Griffith

Ng51386 said:
There is more than one way to get a game, one of them is borrowing/renting

Is there an echo in here? =)

Ng51386 said:
And no, it wasnt a contradiction saying it's a solid system with great games and it's a poor way to spend money.

It was in the context in which you wrote it, speaking of which...

Ng51386 said:
Because the PS3 (whenever it comes out) will be backwards compatible. So you dont need to have a PS2 to play those games.

So, instead, to play the one game he actually wants, you have him buying an expensive new system, to buy more new games (he doesn't want), for much more money. Thanks.

Ng51386 said:
Many things are solid, and cheap, but it'd still be a bad idea to get them sometimes, and there are times when it is a good idea to buy those things.

And sometimes you're babbling.

N

Ng51386

I repeated what you said because me saying to "get more games" doesnt mean just to buy.

Just because you took it one way over another is no concern to me, but I did not specify in which way to get those games, there are multiple ways of getting those games which dont require many, and because of that it increases the game play value of that system.

As for the context in which I admit it was confusing in the manner I said it. What I meant is that if you plan on getting the PS2 dont just get it for one game, at least play a few games on it, whether or not you buy those games is up to you, but you should still play more than one game for one console.

I would not personally by the next gen consoles at the price they're at now. They'll inevitabely go down in price about 50 dollars or so, then more people will get it since that'll be the price it stays for quite a while. So why would I suggest someone else get a next gen console when I dont plan on getting it so quickly?

Babbling is tons of fun.

Griffith

Ng51386 said:
I repeated what you said because me saying to "get more games" doesnt mean just to buy.

Just because you took it one way over another is no concern to me, but I did not specify in which way to get those games, there are multiple ways of getting those games which dont require many, and because of that it increases the game play value of that system.

As for the context in which I admit it was confusing in the manner I said it. What I meant is that if you plan on getting the PS2 dont just get it for one game, at least play a few games on it, whether or not you buy those games is up to you, but you should still play more than one game for one console.

No, you've been confusing a simple financial strategy for purchasing something cheaply, whatever it may be, with your own personal console gaming ideology, which is irrelevant. Since I can't sleep, I've been harassing you about this technicality. =)

Ng51386 said:
I would not personally by the next gen consoles at the price they're at now. They'll inevitabely go down in price about 50 dollars or so, then more people will get it since that'll be the price it stays for quite a while. So why would I suggest someone else get a next gen console when I dont plan on getting it so quickly?

Babbling is tons of fun.

You answered your own question. :carcus:

P.S. The other thing I do when I can't sleep...

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=5180.new#new

CnC

Ad Oculos
Ng51386 said:
What I meant is that if you plan on getting the PS2 dont just get it for one game, at least play a few games on it, whether or not you buy those games is up to you, but you should still play more than one game for one console.

I'm sure the PS2 will go straight to the dumpster as soon as he's done playing the one game. :schierke:
I bought a dreamcast pretty much solely to play the Berserk game. The rest after that was merely a bonus.

Ng51386 said:
Babbling is tons of fun.

You're tha master!1!

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
CnC said:
I bought a dreamcast pretty much solely to play the Berserk game.  The rest after that was merely a bonus.

Ah snap! I did pretty much the same thing a couple of months ago. I was walking around town with a friend and for some reason we decided to go into the Game store. In there I noticed they were selling used dreamcast systems for only £20!!!!!!!!!! (Around 36 of your yankee dollars). That's the dc system, one controller and one game for less than $40!!!! Freaking unbelieveble!!!! I remembered that there was a berserk dc game so I immediately bought the system and then went home and purchased the Berserk game on Ebay for £4!!!!

Anyway, I wasn't all that impressed with the game. Most of it was simple button bashing hack 'n' slash. Though the battle against Zodd was pretty cool and the chance to fill Guts' shoes was too good to miss.

Around four days later I was bored and haven't touched the thing since. I didn't even complete the game. Worth every penny though.

Oh, and in regards to the earlier exchange between Griff and Ng51386...

hahahahahahahahaha!!!

Griffith

I think the last time I couldn't sleep like that you and I were trying to break the 20 second barrier in the Emerald Hill Zone (without timing out, MAJIN! =).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Xbox 360 came out a few days ago in Japan, some numbers were published:

On 159,000 consoles available, only 62,135 were sold on the first 2 days according to Enterbrain, 41,817 from what Media Create says. That's either 39% or 28% of the stock, twice less than the Xbox at its launch at best.

Game sales reflect this of course, Ridge Racer 6 sold 29,891 units (Namco had planned 500,000 units in Japan, way to go), Perfect Dark Zero is second with 14,897 and Need For Speed third with 6,842. The rate of games by console sold is 0,91. Dead or Alive 4 might boost things a bit at the end of the year (release: December 29), but it's pretty much a failure no matter what. Microsoft is still confident about selling 3 millions of X360 worldwide in the 3 months following its launch.

PS: Frenzied mobs trying to get a X360: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 (notice the discount if you buy it as a bundle).

CnC

Ad Oculos
DOA would have to be friggin' magical to pull off any real boost in sales. To me it just looks like every other DOA game with prettier graphics.

I think the biggest issue with the 360 right now is that the games on it are decent at best. Sure, they look cool, but so do a lot of games. Theres nothing out there that would make me want to go out and get this system right now.

Now, a Berserk game, on the other hand :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
DOA would have to be friggin' magical to pull off any real boost in sales. To me it just looks like every other DOA game with prettier graphics.

Well the series sells well in Japan... Now I also doubt it'll change anything at this point.

Japan isn't the only country that determiens if a console is a "success" or "failure."

Sure, it's a big market but if you can get both the US and european market you can still be viable, with japan bein a smaller one for you.

Other interesting news, it seems Sega is re-releasing the dreamcast in japan? Wonder how it will do....

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
The Xbox 360 came out a few days ago in Japan, some numbers were published:

On 159,000 consoles available, only 62,135 were sold on the first 2 days according to Enterbrain, 41,817 from what Media Create says. That's either 39% or 28% of the stock, twice less than the Xbox at its launch at best.

Game sales reflect this of course, Ridge Racer 6 sold 29,891 units (Namco had planned 500,000 units in Japan, way to go), Perfect Dark Zero is second with 14,897 and Need For Speed third with 6,842. The rate of games by console sold is 0,91. Dead or Alive 4 might boost things a bit at the end of the year (release: December 29), but it's pretty much a failure no matter what. Microsoft is still confident about selling 3 millions of X360 worldwide in the 3 months following its launch.

PS: Frenzied mobs trying to get a X360: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 (notice the discount if you buy it as a bundle).
This is just plain sad...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Geez, if the Japanese get any more excited about the 360 a funeral might break out.

Hahaha yeah, check out this quote from Peter Moore too:

Following the lighthearted ceremony, the two Microsoft execs got serious, issuing some stern comments about their company's competitors. "History tells us that no great empire lasts forever," said Moore. "In the case of the Sony PlayStation, obviously it has been a great empire. But when a superior culture comes along, typically it means the end of that empire. We believe that the superior culture is the Xbox 360 games experience, particularly the Xbox Live experience, which will bring communities from around the world together through gaming."

Superior X360 culture! :schierke:

ParisHilto_Caulf_6543975_600_400.jpg

Otherwise the Lik-sang shop covered the event a bit with pictures and videos, if some are interested: http://forum.lik-sang.com/showthread.php?t=9795.

Top Bottom