Soul Calibur III

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I've been becoming more and more interested in 3D fighters recently, so I just bought Soul Calibur III. Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but I'm pretty excited. Its about time someone came out with a fighting game that allowed for decent character creation. Anyone else been playing? If you've somehow gotten pics of your original characters, I'd love to see them.

To give this topic a bit more of a point, I've noticed that the character Seigefried (or however it's spelled) is extremely similar to Guts. He has a scar over his eye, a big sword, and has been driven mad by a cursed piece of equipment (Soul Edge=Berserk Armor). It may just be coincedence though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
I've noticed that the character Seigefried (or however it's spelled) is extremely similar to Guts. He has a scar over his eye, a big sword, and has been driven mad by a cursed piece of equipment (Soul Edge=Berserk Armor). It may just be coincedence though.

It's been evoked in this thread. I don't think Siegfried resemble Guts all that much (let's say he might be a bit inspired from him), the only thing is that his sword is pretty much a DS rip-off in Soul Calibur 3 (in the previous games the design was a bit different). Guts isn't "mad" either as dwarfkicker said, and the Berserk's armor is relatively different from the Soul Edge.

When you say Siegfried, do you mean Nightmare? Unless he is a new character I don't remember him in the Soul Calibur series, or he is just called something different in the American verison. If you are talking about Nightmare, which I think you are, I think he is only similar in the weapon and armor he uses and that he was being consumed by something, which now he is completely taken over by it and driven mad, while guts is struggling against it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zelz said:
When you say Siegfried, do you mean Nightmare? Unless he is a new character I don't remember him in the Soul Calibur series, or he is just called something different in the American verison.

They were one and the same before, when he was possessed by the sword, but now they're distinct. Siegfried appeared in Soul Edge (Soul Blade in the USA), Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur 2 (only as an unlockable costume for Nightmare in that one). If you don't remember him you've got a bad memory.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Damn fellas!
I really need to get back into 3d fighters! Seriously,the only fighting game I've been playing for the last 3 years has been Guilty Gear XX. Wait, sometimes I play Smash Bros, also. Soul Caliber 3 looks interesting, plus its got a girl with a huge metal ring!

Tenro

...You tit.
SCIII is amazing! For the record, it's possible to use the character creation mode to create a passable Guts, both Hawks Soldier and BLack Swordsman versions, and the gameplay is among the most addictive I've ever come across.

If anybody's got any questions about the game, fire away.

Vaxillus

Aazealh said:
It's been evoked in this thread.
...In my usual stroke of brilliance I only searched the 'Shootin' the Breeze' section. Oh well...

In any case, though I'm not very familiar with the Soul Calibur/Soul Edge story, but it seems to me like they made a bigger effort to incorporate Seigfried as a unique character, since from what I understand he freed himself from the Soul Edge. In SCIII, Nightmare is now just an animated suit of armor.

By the way, what happened to this guy? http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2003/screen1/533008_20030821_screen006.jpg

Tenro

...You tit.
Necrid is gone. Story-wise, he may have never even existed. Overwhelming fan response was to get rid of him, since his design didn't really mesh with SC, and his movelist was pretty cheap.

I really didn't like Necrid anyway, and every character in Soul Calibur has some kind of background story to them, and I think Cervantes's has a similar story to Nightmare but ya it does seem like Nightmares had more effort put into it, or maybe we just can relate to it more since it is somewhat similar to things in Berserk.

Tenro

...You tit.
Zelz said:
I think Cervantes's has a similar story to Nightmare but ya it does seem like Nightmares had more effort put into it, or maybe we just can relate to it more since it is somewhat similar to things in Berserk.

Well, Cervantes was the original Soul Edge wielder, predating Sieg. And there's a new twist since he needs it to live, but he can't be controlled by it. I'm not sure many parallels to Berserk can be made, since the evil ones are usually under the sway of Soul Edge, whereas evil in Berserk is from a person's decisions.

Tenro

...You tit.
Ask yourself these questions:
1) Do I enjoy fighting games?
2) Do I enjoy having milestones to work towards that provide genuinely worthwile rewards?
3) Do I hate Nazis?

If you said yes to these three questions... YES IT'S WORTH IT!!

Tenro

...You tit.
Similar yet awesome! The system is overhauled so that the gameplay is definitely not the same, plus there's so much more in the way of characters and gameplay. Don't let owning SCII stop you from at least trying SCIII. Do yourself a favor and at least give it a shot.

Sorry, if I seem a little fanatical, It's because I am. :serpico:

I've got to admit I'm getting bored of these fighters that limit your movement to back and forth with the only other movement along the ground being side steps. Dont get me wrong I still have fun with a few of them but I find myself preferring to play games like Guilty Gear and such. Still waiting for a fighting game that gives you free 3D movement and gives enviroments where its not just a flat playing field with walls (I know DOA does this but... ehhh never really liked DOA in the first place).

Vaxillus

aksaC said:
I'm sorta in the same boat, but it looks so similar to SCII...
From what I understand, it's still Soul Calibur, but some of the characters have been adjusted slightly. I think Rock is finally somewhat useable, I heard Mitsurugi isn't such an unbeatable powerhouse like he was before, and Nightmare has basically been separated into two characters with different aspects being emphasised. Unfortunately, Zasalamel is kinda a cheapass.

The character creation system rocks. Most that I've seen (non-fighting game of course) are surprisingly limited, but this one provides enough variation to at least create something very close to what you want.

@Zelz: if you like fighting games, then definately

great game but ill tell you man takes a looooong time to unlock everything lol spectially if you dont have a group of friends coming over and fighting each other all the time.

Vaxillus

I think Rock was in SCII as were many others(Rock might have had a diffeent name). They were unlockable though, and not in the arcade version.

Top Bottom