Episode 266

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Well, in comparison to the DS... That sure doesn't help though, I agree.

I meant everything (DS included) he has to carry. Those bags carry arrows, bombs, canon shot, powder, etc. That and the DS makes the load quite substantial. I wouldn't be surprised if he was carrying an additional 50 pounds (3000 kg) of stuff in addition to the DS and the weight of his armor.
He's a walking tank :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I meant everything (DS included) he has to carry.

Oh, I probably couldn't even get up if I were covered with so much stuff. :void:

CnC said:
Those bags carry arrows, bombs, canon shot, powder, etc. That and the DS makes the load quite substantial. I wouldn't be surprised if he was carrying an additional 50 pounds (3000 kg) of stuff in addition to the DS and the weight of his armor.

50 pounds make 22.6 kg actually, and that wouldn't surprise me either. The DS and the armor still represent most of the overall weight though IMHO.

Very cool episode. Thanks Aaz!

The last few episodes seem to have been somewhat about the unity of the group and how amazing all of the members are. These are great, somewhat 'feel-good' moments, but it makes me suspect that, with all these almost swashbuckling moments (swashbuckling in a Berserk kind of way - swashbuckling with litres of blood), something really bad is about to happen. Feel good moments don't last long in Berserk... (for example, Guts and Casca get together, Guts is happy, then the eclipse). It just seems everything is going right for Guts at the moment (considering their boat isn't burnt to a crisp as of yet). How long will that last?

But hey, it's Berserk. Of course something bad is going to happen...

D

darkbane

Aazealh said:
Sacrilege!

Oooh. I don't believe you! Heretic! :p

Just kidding. You once again demonstrate your commitment to Berserk :D Well, the two pouches in the first pic looked sufficiently similar to fool me, unfortunately, especially from the angle that it was shown from in volume 19. But Guts' equipment layout would make any thief-in-training jealous.

Bag 3 looks really different though, if I got this right then at one point it's kinda plain white-ish and at another point it's patterned like a straw hat. Oh well.

You went into a lot of detail :p I'm convinced beyound a doubt now that Guts does not carry the infinity pouch inside his belly (as I suppose Doraemon does, or so I've been told) but that in fact the infinity pouch is bag #3 :miura: Maybe having a high-level spirit and an elf reside in the bag has in fact changed the curvature of the space-time continuum in there. :p

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Here are two shots of the inside of bag 3. Notice the pouch at the bottom of the bag in the upper picture, that could very well be the bombs, and that's after he gave some to Isidro.

You can see the open bag with the bombs in it at the very bottom of the bottom picture, too. It's partly open, revealing some spiky bombs inside. Once again you prove your point with way more effort than is required, but that's just the way you and "Griffith No More!" do things. :void: Very interesting seeing the layout of the bags and what all he carries in them. I'm surprised with all his dodging and getting knocked around that most of his shit doesn't spill during a fight.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
krumm47 said:
These are great, somewhat 'feel-good' moments, but it makes me suspect that [...] something really bad is about to happen. Feel good moments don't last long in Berserk... [...] But hey, it's Berserk. Of course something bad is going to happen...

I don't think there's necessarily a pattern of bad things happening, or that the mood can't stay positive for too long. Of course, there needs to be triggering events (good or bad) for the story to progress, but overwhelming fatality isn't indispensable to the plot IMHO.

krumm47 said:
I find I am unable to download the zip file. I'm on 56k and usually about 10%-20% into the download the download stops and says something along the lines of 'the connection with the server has been reset'.

It must really be slow then, even for a dial up connexion... 10% of this file is just 550KB. And you could use a download manager to prevent this kind of problems, a connection reset would then have no incidence at all. Though nowadays most browsers support the resume of interrupted downloads anyway, they keep what was already downloaded in cache. In any case it's all good like I told GoHF, don't take my words out of their context (Tell Me Why's case).

darkbane said:
Bag 3 looks really different though, if I got this right then at one point it's kinda plain white-ish and at another point it's patterned like a straw hat.

Well in the first volumes it was drawn a bit differently yeah, plain white (in B&W) instead of crosshatched. That's just the result of Miura's artistic evolution IMO, since in the color illustrations he did back then the bag was already brown and looked pretty much like it does today. When Guts receives his equipment in volume 14, before setting off for his revenge, that bag is also crosshatched. See these pictures for reference:

- Black Swordsman arc, first volumes.
- Black Swordsman arc, first volumes (in color).
- The end of the Golden Age, volume 14.

I included images of the other bags just so that nothing is left out. We could always imagine that he changed bags several times and that we just didn't see it happen, but it's pretty evident to me that it's simply a matter of artistic choices (still talking about bag 3 and 4, there's no doubt he changed bag 2).

darkbane said:
the infinity pouch is bag #3 :miura: Maybe having a high-level spirit and an elf reside in the bag has in fact changed the curvature of the space-time continuum in there. :p

Hehe yeah, he crams a lot of stuff in there. :guts:

Rhombaad said:
You can see the open bag with the bombs in it at the very bottom of the bottom picture, too. It's partly open, revealing some spiky bombs inside.

Yup, that was in Albion though (the other picture is in the Qliphoth), but I basically assume it's the same pouch, especially since it's at the same place in the bigger bag.

On a different note, Miura wrote in this YA that he was sorry for having taken many breaks in 2005, but that he couldn't guarrantee it wouldn't be the same in 2006 (and he added sobs (涙) at the end of the message).

D

darkbane

Aazealh said:
On a different note, Miura wrote in this YA that he was sorry for having taken many breaks in 2005, but that he couldn't guarrantee it wouldn't be the same in 2006 (and he added sobs (涙) at the end of the message).
Poor guy is way overworked anyway, who are we to complain? ^_^;

I love when Miura has guts take out some sort of giant monster in interesting manners. Its always awesome seeing him swing the DS around but it was really nice seeing him get onto the Makara, jam it straight into his head and then unload the cannon into its skull to finish it off.

Ok, I have some gripes about this episode. Firstly, does anyone else find it odd how Isidro is just owning these things like he's some battle-hardened warrior? I think Miura made him too strong, too fast. Secondly, I'm getting kind of tired of just watching Guts do the same thing. Guts meets monster, Guts owns monster, everyone stands there and looks in awe, etc. It feels like it's been ages since Guts fought someone that actually matters. Just my little rant..

CnC

Ad Oculos
SHUT UP, HERETIC! ok, just kidding :guts:

Tell Me Why said:
Ok, I have some gripes about this episode. Firstly, does anyone else find it odd how Isidro is just owning these things like he's some battle-hardened warrior? I think Miura made him too strong, too fast.

Isidro was attacking the daka who were still alive/getting up after Serpico's attack. Hardly "owning" them.

Tell Me Why said:
Secondly, I'm getting kind of tired of just watching Guts do the same thing. Guts meets monster, Guts owns monster, everyone stands there and looks in awe, etc. It feels like it's been ages since Guts fought someone that actually matters. Just my little rant..

Again, not really "owning". Guts does well to begin with but when the beast starts to interfere he (albeit deliberately) takes a hit from a makara into the side of a concrete wall. Then, while partly on fire mind you, jumps off a roof to attack the beast rodeo style. This results in him being bashed against a few more walls and flung around like a toy.
It was hardly an "easy" fight.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Tell Me Why said:
Secondly, I'm getting kind of tired of just watching Guts do the same thing. Guts meets monster, Guts owns monster, everyone stands there and looks in awe, etc. It feels like it's been ages since Guts fought someone that actually matters. Just my little rant..
The repetition of the Makara fight was clearly intentional, and shows how much Guts has grown and been able to keep the Beast at bay, since the last fight. Even the framing has obvious similarities to the earlier fight.

If you get bored this quickly, go someplace else.

speaking of wicked city, has anyone ever seen the live action movie? holy shit was it funny... wow, good times... insanely cheesey one liners(in one scene 7 or so back to back), ridiculous effects, cornball drama, etc... i highly recommend it for an amazing good laugh

:troll:

Tell Me Why said:
Ok, I have some gripes about this episode. Firstly, does anyone else find it odd how Isidro is just owning these things like he's some battle-hardened warrior? I think Miura made him too strong, too fast. Secondly, I'm getting kind of tired of just watching Guts do the same thing. Guts meets monster, Guts owns monster, everyone stands there and looks in awe, etc. It feels like it's been ages since Guts fought someone that actually matters. Just my little rant..

Agreed 80%

Like all characters, Isidro has some background drawned by Miura, but maybe not long enough to justify his actual skills with the sword. He was/is a robber , so can escape from trouble, but what really bores me is the fact he quit trowing rocks,bombs... THAT was a good thig he could do, and trained for life
He could be a second Judeau in the group.. but instead he learned to use sword too fast

The episode showed Guts evolution over the beast, but everyone knows he´ll lose control sooner or later, when the Hawks reach the city.
There wasn´t anything new in the episode worth the waiting.. but I trust Miura is preparing great things for us in 2006.

So, lets just be patient again (im reading Dangu,killing time..., great title this one..)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Is anyone reading the episode? The daka that Isidro killed were already injured from Serpico's attack. He's hardly a master swordsman.
I'm surprised nobody's complaining about Roderick taking down a tiger on this line of thought.

tokken_brz said:
The episode showed Guts evolution over the beast, but everyone knows he´ll lose control sooner or later, when the Hawks reach the city.

Speculation aside, lets not forget that Guts willingly gave in to the beast on the beach. But yea, he's doing a bit better.

edit:
tokken_brz said:
He could be a second Judeau in the group.. but instead he learned to use sword too fast

Judo used 2 swords all the time, and knives only on special circumstances. Kind of like .... Isidro. :isidro:

Kagami

Goo!
CnC said:
I'm surprised nobody's complaining about Roderick taking down a tiger on this line of thought.

WHY ARE RODERICK ABLE TO KILL FAMILIAR TYGORS!?!? LOL!@!11! ROFL!? :troll:

Think Guts will be around when the BotH get there? He might be out to sea pretty fast.
Is Daiba the one who is heading the assault on the city? The hawks might just deal with him, while Guts learns to be a sailor.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Isidro, in case some of us haven’t been paying attention, IS a battle-hardened warrior. To be as literally clear as possible, he’s been warring in battles by Guts’ side, including fighting all kinds of supernatural monsters such as Apostles, since volume 18. Miura has painstakingly chronicled his progress in this specific area, both his physical skills and his mentality, since his introduction. He’s devoted entire episodes to it, you may have even complained about them in the past.

It’s one of the longest standing current sub-plots in the series, and there’s no excuse for missing it other than you haven’t really been paying attention (or you're just stupid, but I won't go there =). So, let's all get over our outdated first impressions and superficial perceptions and start paying a-God-damned-attention to the episodes more closely. Just because Isidro isn't some "ultimate badass" doesn't mean he's not a talented and potentially effective fighter in any given situation. Don't be surprised by his failures OR successes. On that note, Guts’ battle with the makara was merely incidental to his internal struggle and progress with the Beast.

Remember, character development doesn’t mean anything if you don’t develop your own perceptions of the characters along with it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
"Griffith No More!" said:
Isidro, in case some of us haven’t been paying attention, IS a battle-hardened warrior. To be as literally clear as possible, he’s been warring in battles by Guts’ side, including fighting all kinds of supernatural monsters such as Apostles, since volume 18. Miura has painstakingly chronicled his progress in this specific area, both his physical skills and his mentality, since his introduction. He’s devoted entire episodes to it, you may have even complained about them in the past.

It’s one of the longest standing current sub-plots in the series, and there’s no excuse for missing it other than you haven’t really been paying attention (or you're just stupid, but I won't go there =). So, let's all get over our outdated first impressions and superficial perceptions and start paying a-God-damned-attention to the episodes more closely. Just because Isidro isn't some "ultimate badass" doesn't mean he's not a talented and potentially effective fighter in any given situation. Don't be surprised by his failures OR successes. On that note, Guts’ battle with the makara was merely incidental to his internal struggle and progress with the Beast.

Remember, character development doesn’t mean anything if you don’t develop your own perceptions of the characters along with it.

I totally agree.  The evolution of his sword techniques has been progressing steadily throughout their adventures and he really has fought quite a number of monsters.  Everytime he fights he's getting more precise and efficient in disposing them.  That, and as CnC pointed out, he was taking down Daka already wounded by Serpico's attack.  I still imagine Isidro would be able to take down some Daka who haven't been wounded, though.  I think eventually he's going to face something that his rolling attack doesn't work against though and he'll have to start improvising and creating new techniques and attacks to find some that work.  It'll be very interesting seeing how much he improves as the series progresses, since he's already improved quite a bit.

As for Guts' battle with the Makara, I wasn't bored for a second.  The fight was terrific and showed his determination and the willpower it took for him to avoid giving in to the Beast.  The fact that he was able to finish it off so quickly this time shows just how much he has improved, too.  Lots of character development going on, so I'd hardly call this an episode not worth the wait.

Kagami said:
Think Guts will be around when the BotH get there? He might be out to sea pretty fast.
With Guts pretty close to his boat out of town and Griffith still as yet to show his face in Vritannis, it doesn't seem likely. Bare in mind there still could be something that happens to get in Guts' way of departing (ie: more Kushan familiars or their ship in danger) to prolong their stay until Griffith presents himself to the city.
Kagami said:
Is Daiba the one who is heading the assault on the city? The hawks might just deal with him, while Guts learns to be a sailor.
Daiba's the one who's most likely commanding this seaside night time assault. Though I think the Hawks will probably be dealing with the land general Daiba mentioned whereas Guts might be the one who contests with Daiba over the open seas. :guts:

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Whoohoo! Nice to see the new episode at long last! Thanks!

Ishidro's doing rather well in here - his speed has really improved, being able to move this fast from one daka to another :3.

Serpico's doing well as usually...

And Guts's doing very well but then again, this time he has the environment/surronings on his side, as he could use these against the makara. Quite fast he got up there, thorugh o_O. But it does seem that he caught a weakness of the Makara's from the fight at the beach, at least.

The women are doing pretty well too - thorugh so far, Shireke hasn't had to resort to using any big tricks (and perhaps she might not need to unless Daiba somehow detects them later and interferes or Guts enter Berserker-mode). Farneze's making good use of her new weapons...

Roderick's at least trying, but he needs nore training at monster-saying still Xp. And Magnifico's... bloody useless, as expected.

So far, it looks to me that as long as a horde of Makara or apostles don't appear, they should be able to make it to the habour..

Rhombaad said:
That, and as CnC pointed out, he was taking down Daka already wounded by Serpico's attack. I still imagine Isidro would be able to take down some Daka who haven't been wounded, though.

The way I see it, Isidro didn't take down Daka that was already wounded by Serpico. Serpico used his wind attack on the charging enemies, taking down the front line. Then when the Daka started tumbling over their unfortunate buddies, Isidro stepped up and got in some stabbing action. I'm not correcting anyone, I'm just getting specific on how I interpreted page 3, although we probably all mean the same thing anyways.

Rhombaad said:
I still imagine Isidro would be able to take down some Daka who haven't been wounded, though.

I imagine Isidro took down plenty of Daka on his own. Serp, Isidro, and Roderick were all fighting Daka while Guts was taking on the Makara. Hell, even Schierke was able to wallop a Daka in the head with her staff.. Although when Guts really gets going, it's hard for any character not to watch. Even the Daka seem to be quite taken by Gut's performance.

Top Bottom