Insect scene from KING KONG / Berserk

* spoilers*

For all of those who have seen KING KONG, doesn't the insect scene TOTALLY remind you of the Lost Children arc? With all the bugs? Also, it really REALLY reminded me of (forgot name) that crossover to the spiritual plane, in BERSERK, with all those gross insect-demons? I'm pretty sure that both scenes are unrelated, but when I saw that scene, in my mind, it was like "wow...If there was a live action scene done up in that fashion for BERSERK, this is quite good"

But of course, if it was BERSERK, it would be a LOT more bloody and violent. It was still surprisingly violent to me, esp that part with the guy's head getting sucked by that giant leech thing.

CnC

Ad Oculos
No, the scene didn't remind me of berserk but it WAS creepy.

The insect apostle "fingers" all had human-ish qualities (usually a face) that made it decidedly more "berserk". The strange flesh colored slugs-with-teeth which slowly ate Andy Serkis were friggin amazing and gross at the same time.
Those were the ones which were just purely horrifying to me. The rest were just larger bugs (creepy and gross but didn't have the same nightmare-ish quality).

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
Peter Jacksons "King Kong" got a little Berserk

Yesterday I found myself sitting in the cinema and watching King Kong.
At first I didn t really want to see it because when you got Dinosaurs and a giant ape in a Trailer you usually don t want to see the rest.

However I was kinda surprised that the movie was that good.Not really the story or the actors but the visual effects and having Peter Jackson telling again an old story.

Besides what I wanted to add was that the movie kinda reminded me of berserk as people got attacked by those monster insect creatures...especially if you think about the Berserk game you get some "déjà vu's"!
So I don t want to say that P Jackson was influenced by Miura or Berserk or anything but I again got a little hope that someday Berserk will be done as animation movie or animation mixed up with real scenes.
Thanks for this Visual Effects Party!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Peter Jacksons "King Kong" got a little Berserk

Hey Maximus, thanks to search for similar threads before posting next time. :SK:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I doubt it was inspired by Berserk, monstrous insects are monstrous insects after all. :guts: I can easily understand that you guys were reminded of it though, at least that part promises to be interesting.

I guess it was the atmosphere of helplessness from that scene. Like no matter how many bugs they killed, they kept coming. The guys coming to save them was sooo Deus Ex Machina. And i found it gross because the leech thing didn't bite his head off, but sucked on it, with him screaming and spasming.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
The strange flesh colored slugs-with-teeth which slowly ate Andy Serkis were friggin amazing and gross at the same time.

Holy crap, I didn't even notice that the cook was played by Andy Serkis.  I knew that he did the motion capture for King Kong, but I thought that was it.  Anyway, yeah, the leeches were insanely creepy.  Probably the most chilling thing I've seen in a while. :SK:

EDIT: Whoops, didn't mean to continue the thread if we're not supposed to.  Thought Aaz's message was directed at Maximus and not EndleSS8.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Whoops, didn't mean to continue the thread if we're not supposed to.

Go on guys, I just wanted to ask Maximus to check for existing threads before creating new ones in the future, that prevents having 2 distinct conversations running at the same time on similar topics.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Go on guys,

aw shit... um. think of something to say, CnC... you're being told to.
uh..
got it!

Well actually, I dont' think King Kong was in any way influenced by berserk. There might be a concept designer at Weta that might have heard of or reads berserk, but I doubt PJ's heard of it.
Fact is the "bug scene" was in the original King Kong but was cut out. Jackson just re-cut it in in his King Kong: extended edition box set that he released alongside his movie.
As for the bugs themselves, I would say they were more influenced by actual insects (much like what probably influenced Miura), and just enlargened.
Side story: The effects lead for King Kong, who also did LotR, said that he originally wanted to make the water creature in Fellowship of the Ring look like an "inverted sphincter with teeth" in the commentary, but the design was rejected. I'm sure he was having a great time designing the slugs for King Kong. Just imagine a grown man sitting in front of a monitor shouting "SPHINCTER!!"...

Yea, the insects in the King Kong scene were from actual insects and arachnids (sorry, i'm a biology major) just in huge form. Some of them I couldn't directly recognize though. Hmm, i think i should of clarified what I meant in the original post: I don't think the director or anyone had influence from BERSERK, i guess I just meant that it "felt" similar (to me, IMO) to seeing something toned down, but similar, to the Lost Children/ other spiritual plane scenes in BERSERK.
But the actual insects in the movie were much less demonic (as stated by CnC), but those leech things were made up (I don't think real life lampreys have extendible jaws)
Sorry for rambling, hahah.

CnC

Ad Oculos
EndLeSS8 said:
Hmm, i think i should of clarified what I meant in the original post: I don't think the director or anyone had influence from BERSERK,

should "have"

Ah, I see. I must have mis-understood. Sorry. But I guess my opinion of it not reminding me of Berserk still applies.

Damnit, all this BERSERK/King Kong talk makes me wanna see Guts take on King Kong. He's taken on creatures that big before.. Then he could call his sword, "The Kong Slayer."

Tenro

...You tit.
aufond said:
Damnit, all this BERSERK/King Kong talk makes me wanna see Guts take on King Kong.  He's taken on creatures that big before..  Then he could call his sword, "The Kong Slayer."
Sir, the image you have placed in my mind will keep me happy for weeks.

Who know's, the WETA team still seems hell bent on making a Neon Genesis Evangelion movie and have been doing art for it, for a long time now but cant seem to get anyone to pick it up or work on it with them (should just pester PJ till he decides he wants to do it). So who know's, maybe they know Berserk, they seem to know anime well enough though NGE is fairly famous as far as anime's go.

As to the comment about Guts taking on Kong, remember, he already took on a giant monkey, Wyald.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
HawaiianStallion said:
As to the comment about Guts taking on Kong, remember, he already took on a giant monkey, Wyald.

Hmmm...I know PJ has a 2-part sequel in the works called Son of Kong and there are some concept drawings of Kong's son in the Production Diaries that were recently released on DVD. The art looks a lot like Wyald...minus the Apostle-like features and the upper torso of Wyald and pretty much everything except for the monkey-like appearance and the white fur. Coincidence? :troll:

As for a live-action NGE, I had heard the idea was in the works but hadn't really read up on it. Interesting that WETA is the one pushing for it to happen. Could end up being pretty good...but it could also end up being the worst thing ever next to the upcoming live-action Dead or Alive movie.

Rhombaad said:
As for a live-action NGE, I had heard the idea was in the works but hadn't really read up on it. Interesting that WETA is the one pushing for it to happen. Could end up being pretty good...but it could also end up being the worst thing ever next to the upcoming live-action Dead or Alive movie.

- Yeah, they've released a ton of concept art, drawings, and so forth on the Eva's, a few of the angels (mostly the first couple, #3 mostly) and have been really pushing for the project to get under way. Not sure why as of all the anime's they could want to adapt to movie NGE would most likely be one of the toughest for shear amount of crap going on.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Hmmm...I know PJ has a 2-part sequel in the works called Son of Kong

That was an april fool's day prank. See what IMDb.com has to say about it:

IMDb.com said:
On April Fools Day 2005, Peter Jackson posted an elaborate practical joke, which he posted on a web diary at www.kongisking.net. He "revealed" that they were already starting production on "King Kong: Son Of Kong" and "King Kong: Into the Wolf's Lair". Both films, supposedly to be released in 2006, contained the principal characters riding Son of Kong, strapping machine guns to his back and fighting Hitler's genetically mutated creatures. The film was going to be produced under the banner of "Big Primate Productions". Peter Jackson has been known to pull pranks of this sort before; see Forgotten Silver (1995) (TV).

Skabbius

Rotting Flesh
I haven't realized until now how many people have not seen the original King Kong movie. They didn't know that in the original film that Kong fights dinosaurs and sea monsters etc...

Most of what anyone knows about is when Kong goes ape spit in New York. Of course if you are going to have any flying insects/bugs you are going to be reminded of the fight in berserk. I can almost guarantee that Peter Jackson was not influenced by berserk. But I cant help but wonder if Peter Jackson will return to the horror genre.

Skabbius said:
I haven't realized until now how many people have not seen the original King Kong movie. They didn't know that in the original film that Kong fights dinosaurs and sea monsters etc...

Most of what anyone knows about is when Kong goes ape spit in New York. Of course if you are going to have any flying insects/bugs you are going to be reminded of the fight in berserk. I can almost guarantee that Peter Jackson was not influenced by berserk. But I cant help but wonder if Peter Jackson will return to the horror genre.

I'm sure he will in a few years at least. Most directors who've gotten big, made several huge movies, and have been succesful and mainstream for a long time will go back to the movies they used to do, dream projects (that can be done now that they've made it), and less main stream stuff. Spielberg is starting to do this with stuff like Munich. Cameron is doing it with stuff like Ghosts of the Abyss and the Titanic documentary and no doubt PJ will most likely start making stuff like Dead Alive again after he's done a lot of huge projects.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
That was an april fool's day prank.

Damn you, Peter Jackson... There should've been an "April Fools" at the end of that segment in the diaries for gullible fools like myself.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
The "bug scene" was definately not Berserk related, but I can tell you what it was an homage to. In the original King Kong film many scenese were cut out but the most well known (and unfortunately 100% lost, save for some screen captures) was a scene where all of them men who fell into the pit, after kong shook them off the log, were all eaten by strange crab like creatures. There was no deus ex machina in this case, and it was cut because in the test screening people were so horrified and disturbed that it distracted from the rest of the film, as well as just being entirely too much for the audience of that time to take.

http://www.retrocrush.com/kong/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_(1933_film)#Trivia

Retrocrush article: "Though these scenes have since been restored, there's one sequence that was removed after the 1st screening, and has been lost forever. When Kong shakes people off a giant log and they fall into the valley below, the original print featured giant crabs and spiders waiting below who proceeded to make a meal of them. The director saw that the audience found this to be so shocking, they forgot all about the menace of Kong himself, so he proceeded to cut it out the next day."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tristram said:
The "bug scene" was definately not Berserk related, but I can tell you what it was an homage to.

Well actually CnC already mentioned it.

CnC said:
Fact is the "bug scene" was in the original King Kong but was cut out. Jackson just re-cut it in in his King Kong: extended edition box set that he released alongside his movie.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
I missed that, sorry.

Something to note though; recutting it into the original would not be possible since the scene is entirely lost. I dont see how this scene could be recut unless I am misunderstanding something.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Tristram said:
I missed that, sorry.

Something to note though; recutting it into the original would not be possible since the scene is entirely lost. I dont see how this scene could be recut unless I am misunderstanding something.

My understanding is that it was not "lost". It was just a scene with no effects added in that was scrapped in the original 1933 release. The guys at Weta took the scene and did the effects using only what would have been possible to do at the time, then put it back into the movie. I hear they did well.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
CnC said:
My understanding is that it was not "lost".  It was just a scene with no effects added in that was scrapped in the original 1933 release.  The guys at Weta took the scene and did the effects using only what would have been possible to do at the time, then put it back into the movie.  I hear they did well.

I reiderate my comment from before:

Retrocrush article: "Though these scenes have since been restored, there's one sequence that was removed after the 1st screening, and has been lost forever. When Kong shakes people off a giant log and they fall into the valley below, the original print featured giant crabs and spiders waiting below who proceeded to make a meal of them. The director saw that the audience found this to be so shocking, they forgot all about the menace of Kong himself, so he proceeded to cut it out the next day."

The scene was complete, but because of it being such a disturbing scene it was cut from the film after the test screening, and apparently lost forever in a garbage can or something. There are a couple of stills from the scene but that is all that has survived. Without completely recreating the scene, I dont think it is possible that it could be recut into the film (unless of course the lost bit of film had been found somehow, which would be awesome).

I really would like to see the scene, whether original or recreated, though. :serpico:

Don't have much to add, but the same thing occured to me. During the slug-swallowing-head scene, the first thing that came to my mind was Berserk. Actually, in War of the Worlds, (possible spoiler coming up ahead) when they were stuck in that cage and one by one getting sucked up in that tentacle thing (I can't quite remember what it looked like), but the first thing that came to my mind was also Berserk.

In fact... a lot of things remind me of Berserk, now that I think about it... I guess I think about Berserk just a little tooooo much =P. Sometimes, when I write out my address on envelopes or on the computer, I type "Berserk" instead of "Berkeley" :schierke:

Top Bottom