Berserker Armor: Do more exist?

OK, In (vol 28 p133, episode 242) Serpico tells about the "Legends about those who are called Berserk" and how "They are an object of fear not only to the enemy, but for allies as well. Not because the allies felt fear in the severity of the battle...But if anything came near the Berserkers (??), be it enemy or ally, They would be killed"......NOW for my question. Are there possibly more 'Berserker armors' out there, not a whole mess of them, but is it a possibilty anther one exists? I have other questions and speculations, but I'd like to see what anyone else thinks about the question i posed....sorry if another thread of this exists....

It could be possible, but I think Serpico was talking about just their behavior and rage in battle, does not necessarily mean that something like the Berserk armor was the cause of it, but maybe , the Berserker Armor was crafted to harness the powers of those that were Berserk, just an idea.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Proj2501 said:
OK, In (vol 28 p133, episode 242) Serpico tells about the "Legends about those who are called Berserk" and how "They are an object of fear not only to the enemy, but for allies as well. Not because the allies felt fear in the severity of the battle...But if anything came near the Berserkers (??), be it enemy or ally, They would be killed"......NOW for my question. Are there possibly more 'Berserker armors' out there, not a whole mess of them, but is it a possibilty anther one exists? I have other questions and speculations, but I'd like to see what anyone else thinks about the question i posed....sorry if another thread of this exists....

Well the armor was crafted by the dwarves, so there stands a good chance that more suits exist, but for some reason it just feels like this is either the only one or is the last one. No evidence to back this up, it's just that it feels right that this was the particular suit of armor that Skull Knight wore in the past, rather than a different suit of the same type of armor. :SK:

Feanor

Nur dem Schwert kannst du vertrauen!
One thing about the armor i'm asking me:
Is the curse of the armor really a curse?
It seems to me more as a "fair trade".
Some kind of bloodmagic in which the wearer gets power but takes the risk to damage himself.
My point is: If there still existing other Dwarfen Armors, which are not "cursed", could the wearer have all the advantages which guts armor provides without the (strong) adverse effects?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The fact that the dwarves embedded a stigma to wearing their armors reveals much of their psychology, and adds a little creepy note to Miura's world. The dwarves assuredly knew that humans would want to utilize their armors' power. It's just speculation, but I think the stigma of the Berserker Armor is there to exploit humanity's lust for power, even at the cost of their own bodies. So... somewhere out there, the ghost of a dwarven forger is laughing at Guts and his struggle :zodd:

Feanor said:
My point is: If there still existing other Dwarfen Armors, which are not "cursed", could the wearer have all the advantages which guts armor provides without the (strong) adverse effects?
As we've seen time and time again in the Berserk world, power comes at a price. Simply discovering an "uncursed" Berserker Armor would totally undermine both Guts' current struggle and the theme of price that Miura has been stressing the entire series.

To build onto the original post, I personally believe that by definition, there are other Dwarven armors in the Berserk world. However, I doubt they're all intact after all these centuries... Flora had taken special care of this particular armor.

Anyway, would you like everyone in Guts' Band to have a cool Dwarven Armor, each with their own physiological or even psychological stigma? I'm getting some pretty funny images in my head...

PS: Casca's Insatiable Armor's super speed comes at a price! She just can't say NO! :carcus:

lol, Walter.

One thing that I've been wondering about Guts's armor (and Godo for that matter) is that why does Guts's previous armor (before the Berserker) looks so much like the Berserker armor? It has the exact same pauldrons and knee-guards (forget their names), at least, and the entire style and way that the armor looks just seems a little bit similar. Not to mention that the armor is a perfect fit for Guts, being the giant person that he is.

Do the dwarves still exist in Berserk's world?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Draco said:
lol, Walter.

One thing that I've been wondering about Guts's armor (and Godo for that matter) is that why does Guts's previous armor (before the Berserker) looks so much like the Berserker armor? It has the exact same pauldrons and knee-guards (forget their names), at least, and the entire style and way that the armor looks just seems a little bit similar. Not to mention that the armor is a perfect fit for Guts, being the giant person that he is.

Yeah, I noticed the similarity, as well but just figured it was that way because Miura liked the look of it on Guts. Then again it could be related in the future, but I don't really see how... As for the dwarves, who knows? No information other than that related to the armor has been given. I suppose the cave at Godot's could have been built by them, but would they be called "the fair folk" or something similar, as well? :???:

kimedog

mmmmmm BEER!
In response to the armor being the correct size for Guts, it was the same size as the Skull Knight. Also notice how it changes shape (from skull to beast). This could easily mean the armor and change its overall size as well as its shape. Not to mention the armor Guts uses could have been specifically made for the Skull Knight 1000 years ago.

As for dwarves existing, the only mention of there ever being a dwarf is the dwarven armor. In LotR the Dwarves lived underground and were rarely seen, this could be true where they just don't want to be seen but are still around.

CnC

Ad Oculos
kimedog said:
In response to the armor being the correct size for Guts, it was the same size as the Skull Knight. Also notice how it changes shape (from skull to beast). This could easily mean the armor and change its overall size as well as its shape. Not to mention the armor Guts uses could have been specifically made for the Skull Knight 1000 years ago.

Whats striking is the simularity to Guts previous armor, cloak and all. Makes you wonder how similar Guts is to the previous owner. Perhaps "black swordsman" was used as well. :badbone:

kimedog said:
As for dwarves existing, the only mention of there ever being a dwarf is the dwarven armor. In LotR the Dwarves lived underground and were rarely seen, this could be true where they just don't want to be seen but are still around.

They were mentioned in regards to Godo's cave as well, if I recall.

kimedog

mmmmmm BEER!
CnC said:

Even so there is no serious mention of them. Just a minor (or a few) indications that they ever existed.

The similarity is not so striking, the armor Guts got from Godo was the first time he wore heavy armor (besides pretending to be Boscogne) Most of the time he has only a breastplate on (as far as I remember). So the fact that he has heavy armor on and that it resembles the berserker armor is not that strange. Then again it could just be Miura just likes the look of it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Are there possibly more 'Berserker armors' out there, not a whole mess of them, but is it a possibilty anther one exists?

More armors were probably made, Berserk's armors or different ones (Skull Knight's?), but as it has been said, I doubt we'll see a lot of other armors like it, if any at all.

Zelz said:
It could be possible, but I think Serpico was talking about just their behavior and rage in battle, does not necessarily mean that something like the Berserk armor was the cause of it

I also think so. It's definitely a reference to the myth of the Berserkers, it doesn't mean all of them must have had magic armors.

Feanor said:
Is the curse of the armor really a curse?
It seems to me more as a "fair trade".

Well it makes you uncontrollable and eventually leads you to your death, so yeah, I'd say it's definitely cursed. Remember that without Flora's talisman, Guts' ego would have disappeared long ago, destroyed by the flame of the armor's Od. He'd be a mindless killing machine, and it'd be irreversible. Now that's Guts, the most iron-willed man alive, imagine "normal" people using it...

Feanor said:
Some kind of bloodmagic in which the wearer gets power but takes the risk to damage himself.

Naaah.

Feanor said:

Walter said it, power comes at a price. The way the armor works makes it virtually impossible for an uncursed version to exist.

Draco said:
why does Guts's previous armor looks so much like the Berserker armor?
Rhombaad said:
Yeah, I noticed the similarity, as well but just figured it was that way because Miura liked the look of it on Guts.

I think that's it, yeah. I mean, it's a manga, some readers were already rampaging because he was getting a new armor, so imagine if the look had been completely different...

Draco said:
Not to mention that the armor is a perfect fit for Guts, being the giant person that he is.

It's a magic armor, maybe it adapts to the wearer. I'm not sure why I even say "maybe", considering that the helm literally changed its shape when Guts first wore it. Plus the previous user might have been around the same size. And really, should he find an armor and go "ah, too big, need to get it adjusted before I can use it"? :schierke:

Draco said:

We have currently no way to know.

Rhombaad said:
I suppose the cave at Godot's could have been built by them, but would they be called "the fair folk" or something similar, as well?

Actually, they're called "yousei" in the manga, which usually refers to elves. However the guys shown in the picture didn't look like typical elves (i.e. Puck), so the translator went for "fair folk" instead. In volume 26, when Schierke refers to the dwarves, "dwarf" is in furigana and the kanji is basically "miner sei" (from yousei), so miner elves or miner spirits. So in short, it's definitely possible to me that the "yousei" that lived in Godot's mine were actually dwarves (a different variation of "yousei" from the piskies, what Puck and Ivalera are), but it isn't sure for now. This also means that we might see dwarves in Elfhelm.

kimedog said:
In LotR the Dwarves lived underground and were rarely seen, this could be true where they just don't want to be seen but are still around.

I'm not sure a comparison to LotR is judicious here, especially since it has been said several times that "yousei" and their kind were less and less seen (piskies themselves have become rare), leaving their homes and disappearing slowly. And that's not because they awakened a Balrog.

CnC said:

The word "dwarf" wasn't used. We've seen it for the first (and only) time in volume 26, when Schierke told the others about the armor.

kimedog said:
The similarity is not so striking, the armor Guts got from Godo was the first time he wore heavy armor (besides pretending to be Boscogne) Most of the time he has only a breastplate on (as far as I remember).

He went with a good amount of different armors, but he really started getting "heavily" armored in volume 14, with the Retribution arc. The first armor he gets from Godot and the one he uses during the Black Swordsman arc isn't what you'd consider heavy, just a breastplate and pauldrons basically. His armor is enhanced again when he returns to Godot's place in volume 17, that's the one he kept until he got the Berserk's armor.

I think the both do have a similar look overall (if you look in detail there are a lot of variations), but that shouldn't be a big deal IMHO.

I also agree there is probably more armour like it, but why would they need to come into the story? There are no apparent realistic motives I could see for another one to come into place.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Sparnage said:
I also agree there is probably more armour like it, but why would they need to come into the story? There are no apparent realistic motives I could see for another one to come into place.

Who knows, they could save the day at Vritannis? No? No one thinks so? Awwww... :judo:

Also, I assume if there are more armors out there like it, and IF they had wearers the wearers would probably already be taken over by the armor, which wouldn't be a good thing if you ran into one... and I highly doubt that there are a few crazy berserk guys running around out there in this type of armor just going mad, I've always thought of the Berserker armor, as a unique piece, one of a kind, relic kinda thing.

Tenro

...You tit.
I can't see there being others out there simply because they would have had enough of an impact on history for people to know about them. Serpico's story aside, especially since he never refers to the actual armor, there aren't tales of madmen in matching suits of scary looking armor, which I would think would be worth mentioning in such a legend. It's hardly exact proof, but it would seem that more people would have heard of the armored berserkers if other armors were out there.

OK, now for my burning question. Do you think Miura called this story Berserk for that reason; the reason being that Guts has finally acquired the Berserkers Armor....does anyone else follow me. Why call the series Berserk, besides all the goddamn craziness that goes down. Haha, someone help me out here.

Do you think Miura had the idea for this armor the whole time?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tenro said:
I can't see there being others out there simply because they would have had enough of an impact on history for people to know about them.

I wonder, people seem to have forgotten about a lot of things from the past (especially supernatural things). Berserks are known to exist (or to have existed), and it's hard to be sure whether magical armors would be remembered after what could possibly be centuries of oral tales or not. Besides, they might not have been widely known (think about apostles and their impact on history), and I doubt there were thousands of them either.

Proj2501 said:
Do you think Miura had the idea for this armor the whole time?

No, he hadn't planned the story that far into the future. That would have been inhuman.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
No, he hadn't planned the story that far into the future. That would have been inhuman.

maybe nothing specific, but the themes are there. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar to what we see was loosely planned

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
maybe nothing specific, but the themes are there. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar to what we see was loosely planned

Well Puck calls Guts a "berserk" in volume 1 (page 94) if that's what you mean, and obviously the themes were there from the start of course. But he hadn't thoroughly planned 30 volumes in advance (it can be gathered from what he said himself in his interviews, if that even needed confirmation).

No i understand your point....im sure while he was drawing Guts fighting the Snake Baron he didn't think...'yea this story needs a wise ass kid and a girl witch' and wrote it on a post it. No sarcasim there...just seeing ur point.

I beleive he called it Berserk, because of the basis of the story, and the main character Guts, which in the beginning was a very rageful man it seemed, also through all the hardships he has endured makes sense he would be that way, if you understand what I mean its hard for me to explain, but basically just because of the themes of the story.

Tenro

...You tit.
Aazealh said:
I wonder, people seem to have forgotten about a lot of things from the past (especially supernatural things). Berserks are known to exist (or to have existed), and it's hard to be sure whether magical armors would be remembered after what could possibly be centuries of oral tales or not. Besides, they might not have been widely known (think about apostles and their impact on history), and I doubt there were thousands of them either.

You know, that's a point I hadn't considered. It does seem that people in addition to not seeing the supernatural elements around them, they also seem prone to forgetting them as well.
And of course, Guts' style has been that of a berserker long before he got the armor.

I probably wouldn't have even thought of purchasing Berserk if it wasn't for the name. It's one that just seems to call out death and destruction...
And of course, even against Bazuso he was described as a Berserker would be (no regards for his own life, so long as he killed the opponent).

And on the subject of people making legends about the armor, just how many people would be able to SURVIVE seeing it in action? Without such powerful magical aid as Guts had, I doubt that any of the others would have survived the battle either.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
If I might suggest an idea about the 'dwarves', it seems likely to me that they follow the same trend and Puck and the rest of the elves, i.e. not appearing except to those with a tie to the Interstice (or however you choose to describe it). The only creatures we've seen of this type are Puck and Ivalera, and considdering Dwarves' traditionally self centered personalities, they're probably holed up in their mystical home (akin to Elfhelm).

On that note though, Berserk gives me the impression that all these mystical creatures were once closer and in better contact with humans, but because of the church repressing 'heretical' cults and such, that the minds of humans have closed to the Interstice, and these creatures have broken off contact. Anyone agree?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Vaxillus said:
The only creatures we've seen of this type are Puck and Ivalera, and considdering Dwarves' traditionally self centered personalities, they're probably holed up in their mystical home (akin to Elfhelm).

There might even be some dwarves in Elfhelm. I think it's a possibility, anyway.

Top Bottom