Favorite Anime MOVIE of all time

Certain movies like End of Evangelion, Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade, Princess Mononoke and Wings of Honneamise have been at the top of my list for years, but having finally seen Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence a while ago, I must probably name it as my new favorite. I know it is not for everyone's tastes, but I heartily recommend it to anyone seeking a mature, thought-provoking anime-movie.

Other good but not quite perfect anime-movies (in my opinion) are Spirited Away, Patlabor 1, Tokyo Godfathers and the original Ghost in the Shell. Ninja Scroll is not very high on my list, even though it is a decent action-flick.

-Villain

Mo

The Warrior
I went and got appleseed - didn't like it much (although the graphics were awesome).... i really didn't like ghost in the shell either; 2 was a lot better.  Princess Mononoke was really good too... If you're into action seens Final Fantasy VII was great; the fights in it were some of the best I've ever seen - story line wasn't my style though... animatrix was freakin' weird - waste of money. 

Walter, Berserk is an anime isn't it? Surely you didn't go through all the trouble of building and maintaining this place for a sucky cartoon :guts: 

I find movies better because everything is over and donewith in 2hours max; when you're short on time and want a quick fix of entertainment, a movie is the way to go :p

Mo said:
IWalter, Berserk is an anime isn't it? Surely you didn't go through all the trouble of building and maintaining this place for a sucky cartoon :guts:

Of course not, it was all for a terrific, engrossing and deep manga, not the anime that fails to live up to its source material.

Anyway, mine is End of Evangelion. Appleseed was alright, but it was a little weird. I have yet to see either of the Ghost in the Shell movies, out of sheer laziness.

Villain said:
Certain movies like End of Evangelion, Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade, Princess Mononoke and Wings of Honneamise have been at the top of my list for years, but having finally seen Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence a while ago, I must probably name it as my new favorite. I know it is not for everyone's tastes, but I heartily recommend it to anyone seeking a mature, thought-provoking anime-movie.

Other good but not quite perfect anime-movies (in my opinion) are Spirited Away, Patlabor 1, Tokyo Godfathers and the original Ghost in the Shell. Ninja Scroll is not very high on my list, even though it is a decent action-flick.

-Villain

DITTO!!!!!

ninja scroll, oh yes... i have yet to see a stand alone anime movie that can top it...
how could anyone not put the rambo of the far east on the top of their list?

i didnt like appleseed at all... i had trouble keep interest in it and eventually fell asleep... the cell shaded cgi left to much to be desired... when animating old school its acceptable to not have hair move in a realistic fashion but when its cgi, that whole plastic mold hair just doesnt fly... ff7ac had quite nice hair movement while still holding that nice form... just the right amount of moose i guess... appleseed? too much

anyone notice that the aeon flux movie completely stole appleseeds plot?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
My favorite movies, would be : Princess Mononoke,Nausicca of the valley of the wind,Castle of Cagliostro,X,Grave of the Fireflies,Perfect Blue,Akira,Ghost in the shell,Black Jack,and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Shucks, this is a toughie! My first anime movie I ever seen was VHD and it holds a special place in my heart along with Akira. But I have to say my fave is still Perfect Blue.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
"Les Triplettes de Belleville", a non-Japanese animation movie (haha!). That and Urotsukidôji of course.

Skabbius

Rotting Flesh
Fist of the North Star/Hokuto no Ken
Vampire Hunter D (Both)
Ghost in the Shell (original)
Ninja Scroll
Akira
Battle Royal High School
Golgo 13: The Professional
Riki-Oh Part 1 & 2 (sure it is a OAV, but I like it too much to leave out)
L.I.L.Y. Cat

That is really all I can think of right now.

For me it's a toss up, between two very different type of movies.

Vampire Hunter D I/II and Grave of the fireflies.

Love both, VHD you can rewatch more easily though. Grave of the fireflies however is so emotional, even more then many real films imo.

Mo said:
Walter, Berserk is an anime isn't it? Surely you didn't go through all the trouble of building and maintaining this place for a sucky cartoon :guts: 

::)

Anyway some of mine are Akira, GITS and Ninja scroll. Classics are hard to beat.

If Ninja scroll 2 is ever madeI have hope that it'll be on my list. Anime News Network seems to think Yoshiaki Kawajiri is working on it in preproduction but IMDB doesn't have any info on his current projects. Not too confident on it being any more than a rumour.

Stiler said:
For me it's a toss up, between two very different type of movies.

Grave of the fireflies however is so emotional, even more then many real films imo.

Yeah I got emotional after watching Grave of the Fireflies as well; couldn't believe I wasted $40 on buying such a boring movie, teary eyes and everything. :'(

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I'm a huge fan of Nausicaa or however it's spelled (let's see YOU spell Greek). I saw is when I was young, and have loved it ever since.

@ the peanut gallery: Life sucks, so suck it up. :miura:

I never got the love of Ninja Scroll. There are far superior action anime movies but yet people still love that movie claiming it to be the best action anime out there when there are about 3 real fights in the entire movie.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
HawaiianStallion said:
I never got the love of Ninja Scroll. There are far superior action anime movies but yet people still love that movie claiming it to be the best action anime out there when there are about 3 real fights in the entire movie.

I concur! After seeing Ninja Scroll I was like "what the hell is all the fuss about?"

Top Bottom