Favorite Anime MOVIE of all time

Stiler said:
How was it boring?

I don't mind Anime without violence, but this one was anti climatic, long and tedious IMO. The kids lose their mum, move in with bitch, leave bitch and live on their own, can't support themselves and die.... or something like that it's been a while.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Cool Devices :beast:

Big surprise. ;D

Aazealh said:
Not before it came out in Japan, no (nor in Europe for that matter). :SK:

I understand that it came out earlier in Japan. Being half Japanese we got to see many things before it hit the mainland US. I owned only Voltron the Cars from Japan when I was in the 4th grade. The kids went wild.. haha.

At the time though, transformers the movie and GI Joe the movie were what caught my attention. I could not be older than 7-8 years old. That was my favorite animation of all time.

Of course now my favorite anime of all time is BERSERk.. Bastard comes in a very close 2nd. I also enjoyed the Gungrave series.

I remember when they said shit in the Transformers movie. It was funny as hell. Though that movie was something unexpected with the main character dying and all that.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Aazealh said:
Not enough BLOOD and VIOLENCE.
I wonder how much money I could make off of filming a cow being blown up with dynamite.  Just add some bishonen, a sword that splits into seven, tattered cloaks, some motorcycles and tada! :carcus:

:judo:

Edit: Anyway...

The transformers movie rocked. Sure it was silly and childish at times, but a planet devouring robot makes for a damn good antagonist.

Vaxillus said:
The transformers movie rocked. Sure it was silly and childish at times, but a planet devouring robot makes for a damn good antagonist.

Especially a planet devouring robot voiced by Orson Welles. I was waiting for him to start talking about frozen peas anytime.

Vampire Hunter D was another anime who's popularity I never got though I did enjoy the first, I thought the second one was all around terrible aside from looks. All flash, no substance. The first was good, but man was it ugly at times, and dark as hell, I still remember having trouble watching it because the darkness just covered up everything.

El_Spico11

The power of death is intoxicating...
DemonX v.2.0 said:
Pokemon: The movie.

Was like an anime version of the titanic, emotional rollercoaster and everything.

I hate to admit it but I agree. I admit that I really liked the first pokemon movie, I literally was tearing when Ash turned into stone, but that was when i was 10-11 or so. It was still a great movie, no matter how stupid pokemon is now. Other than that, Akira is pretty good (still don't fully understand it though lol), Princess Mononoke, I like Cowboy Bebop the Movie mostly because of the last fight scene between Spike and Vincent, pretty intense :guts:

I just think it's interesting how varied the opinions are-- everything from hentai to My Neighbor Totoro. Personally, I'd have to own up to Millenium Actress (both visually interesting, and philosophically interesting), but I love Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind as well. Still, I really like the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Emma mangas as well, so my opinions are probably not in the norm here. :p

My Neighbor Totoro, Vampire Hunter D, Spirited Away, Jin-Roh, and Cowboy Bebop are all very very good movies though, IMO. I own them all, and that's about the extent of my collection. I really only get those movies I love and think I'll rewatch.

TheRedShadow

Don't turn around.
[tt]Wow! I'm surprised that nobody said the Lodoss War movie's or the Full Metal Alchemist movie. Both I found to be really good.

Ninja Scroll is also a very good anime(so is the show). And has anyone seen Ninja Resurrection or the other one(of which I forget the title) both good anime.

QuestionMark said:
I just think it's interesting how varied the opinions are-- everything from hentai to My Neighbor Totoro. Personally, I'd have to own up to Millenium Actress (both visually interesting, and philosophically interesting), but I love Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind as well. Still, I really like the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Emma mangas as well, so my opinions are probably not in the norm here. :p

- Ahh good choice. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was one of Studio Ghibli's and Miyazaki's best. I liked it a lot better than a lot of his other stuff of the same vein (Monoke hime and such) not simply because it was the first but it was the most fantastical of all his works. I mean the world was awesome with the god soldiers and so on. I love that movie.

Skabbius

Rotting Flesh
TheRedShadow said:
And has anyone seen Ninja Resurrection or the other one(of which I forget the title) both good anime.

Ninja resurrection started out pretty promising, but in my oppinion fell apart around the end. Although it has been several years since I have seen it. So my memory of it is not perfect. I did see the old live action film based off the same legend, and that wasn't too bad.

Blood Reign was a great OVA if you are looking for some cool ninja fighting. 2 part OVA, so that is practically a movie if you put them together.

There really is not many movies out there compared to OAV series.

Akira's little details here and there in the movie to make up for not going by the actual story of the manga, was pretty cool. I love the manga personally, and love the movie for what it is in terms of it's animation, music, and complete package. Incredible release for its time. Ghibli's releases have been consistent over the years, no doubt. I expected a little more off Ponyo, but it was cute none the less.

I'm going to recommend Angel's Egg.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Probably Ghost in the Shell or Princess Mononoke, though I don't feel strongly about it at all. I don't watch a lot of anime movies and none in years (if you couldn't tell), so maybe I've seen better ones I just don't remember, but I don't think Wicked City qualifies.

How about Vampire Hunter D then; it's got a special place in my heart, it's like the quintessential anime movie experience of my generation along with Akira... and Ninja Scroll. :schierke:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I love Ninja Scroll for what it is: mindless entertainment. Ghost in the Shell is probably my favorite anime film followed closely by Akira.

The End of Evangelion - only movie where I've had to pick up pieces of my own brain from the carpet afterwards. Mindfuck supreme.

It can hardly be seen as a standalone movie though. If that's a criteria there's a tie between Millennium Actress, Castle in the Sky and 5 Centimeters per Second.

Top Bottom