2005 Personal Top Rated Albums

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
For you music lovers, give out your favorite 2005 albums. Threads such as this have been made before, interesting to see other peoples tastes.

Buddha Bar VI
Hotel Costes "Live from Argentina"
Traffik (for you Interpol lovers, you might find this interesting)
Ultra 2005 Compilation (Electronic music lovers will melt)
Cafe Del Mar "Classic"
Deep Dish "Piece of Mind"

I have noticed an extreme Lounge music exploitation on several sources of media in the US. I find this interesting and refreshing noticing that appreciation for international music can teach us many things from different cultures. Something that I personally has allways hoped for. Now, what's YOUR preferred album of the year 2005?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
In order of awesomeness:

Sigur Ros - "Takk"
Ko Otani - "Shadow of the Colossus"
Bloc Party - "Silent Alarm"
Bright Eyes - "I'm Wide Awake, it's Morning"
Sufjan Stevens - "Illinois"
Gorillaz - "Demon Days"

That's about it. I must have spent about $200 on CDs this year alone, and these are the only ones I really still listen to on a regular basis. Not sure the SotC soundtrack counts, but it should :guts:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
In order of awesomeness:

Sigur Ros - "Takk"
Ko Otani - "Shadow of the Colossus"
Bloc Party - "Silent Alarm"
Bright Eyes - "I'm Wide Awake, it's Morning"
Sufjan Stevens - "Illinois"
Gorillaz - "Demon Days"

That's about it. I must have spent about $200 on CDs this year alone, and those are the only 5 I really still listen to on a regular basis. Not sure the SotC soundtrack counts, but it should :guts:
SoTC... I forgot about that one. Good call! and yes everything goes.

Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation - "Mighty Rearranger"

Sigur Ros - "Takk"

Fat Freddys Drop - "Based On A True Story"

Well, I don't think any of these were released this year, as I haven't been listening to much really current music recently, but I've (re-) discovered a few artists this last year, so I'll throw them into the mix--

Candan Ercetin-- Elbette -- a turkish singer, pop I guess-- sort of reminds me of a (for lack of a better description) Turkish Annie Lennox.

Faye Wong-- Fable-- a Cantoense singer-- reminds me of a mix of Bjork, Cranberries, and Sarah Mclachlan, with a more lush, classical instrumentation.

Beastie Boys-- Hello Nasty and Check Your Head-- It was a really pleasant surprise to rediscover these guys-- frequently intelligent lyrics, mixed with just plain screw-ball fun. And no one else has ever really gotten the guitar-rap-funk mix down as good as these guys have. They also have a really interesting mix of instruments and styles-- some Tibetan chanting in Hello Nasty, a diggerie-do (pardon the spelling), African drums, etc. plus some great funk/rap/rock.

D

darkbane

redria beat me to it, kind of: SoaD - Mezmerize (was that 2005 though? can't remember)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I'd have to agree with Redria and Darkbane about the System album being the best "new" stuff I've heard this year. I don't really listen to "new" music considering all the good Industrial was made over a decade ago. I have listened to a lot of Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly this year.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
handsome rakshas said:
I don't really listen to "new" music considering all the good Industrial was made over a decade ago
  The industrial genre as it was once known has been re-named as just plain electronica-breaks.  And there is quite a few of them that came out this year from known artist from the 90's (Prodigy, Crystal Method). If you want to try newer once go for: Way Out West, Hybrid, Deep Dish and Fingerpaint. 

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Opeth - The Ghost Reveries.

I haven't stopped listening to it yet -- it's simply an awesome album :badbone:

I'm mostly into metal and rock.. so

Demon Hunter - The Triptych

Disturbed - 10,000 Fists

Bloodhound Gang - Hefty Fine

Bloodsimple - A Cruel World

American Head Charge - The Feeding

Well those were the best to me last year :D

Judo

Midlands finest
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo: I'm burning Star IV(from fear through the eyes of madness)

Oceansize - Everyone into position

Amplifier - The astronaut dismantles Hal

Riverside - Second life syndrome

Kagami

Goo!
Bleak Harvest said:
Opeth - The Ghost Reveries.

I haven't stopped listening to it yet -- it's simply an awesome album :badbone:

I totally agree. I have been a fan of Opeth for a while, but I hadn't really listened to them in a while. I recently discovered Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Idiot Flesh, so I was enjoying those bands (and some Fantomas) for the last year and a bit (Of Natural History bitches!), but then I noticed that Opeth had a new album out, so on a whim I asked for it for Christmas, and oh boy.... what an album. Brilliant combination of TRUE prog-rock and Metal. Absolutely brilliant.

Another awsome release of this year was the Sleepytime Gorilla Museums' DVD of improv "The Face". It's not really an album, but it's all new material, so whatever.

Top Bottom