The End of Berserk?

I know their have been threads on this before, but I don't care. This is my thread. I think Miura should consider ending the series soon. I think that if you draw a series out too much, it seems like your milking it in a way. Don't get me wrong, I still love Berserk and how the story is devloping, it's just...Guts is getting older, and how long can Casca be 'crazy' for? Also, how much longer is Guts and SK going to pussy foot around before they get around to taking out the Godhand, if that is what's going to happen. I just think that Miura shouldn't get too big with it like Guin Saga or something. I hope he remembers that this story is primarily about revenge, and the relationship between Guts and Griffith. It's Guts story and I hope he doesn't change that. I just want some closure for God's sake. I want to see Griffith, Zodd, and the God Hand to get their asses handed to them by Guts and SK. And what the fuck is it with the PS2 game. I can't believe Sammy didn't bring it to the US. People here would eat it up. It looks bad as fuck. I also think it would be sick if someone like Peter Jackson did a motion picture Trilogy out of Berserk. Rated R and unforgiving in content. No PG-13 bullshit for Chriss-sake. Thoughts anyone?

The story in case you haven't noticed is about much more than just revenge now. In addition to Guts's new path to primarily take Casca to the Elf King to cure her, there are many more side stories that have long developed with side characters and the fundamental situation with Midland and other countries taking place as the story develops, not to mention Griffith's situation who has no real interest in Guts while long taking a story path of his own.
If you think Miura is going to change that because you're impatient you're sadly mistaken.

On that note Guts isn't getting that much older, do not be mislead by the white patch in his hair that has recently come to place in the story since Gurunberd. Guts was roughly 19 when he saved Griffith and survived the Eclipse and roughly two years have passed since the story caught up to Guts as the blackswordsman in volume 14 after telling the fundamentals of his life starting at the end of volume 3.
Since volume 14 not that much time has passed in the story, probably less than a year which means it's very possible he is younger than 22. Guts getting older? Hardly.

I recommend you enjoy the new episode like everyone else here and hold out as its ending will likely happen in your lifetime, if you can't then stop simply reading and make up a cliche ending you clearly expect of Guts killing Griffith while ignoring most details the story has to offer in your mind.

As for being made into a movie, sounds like a bit of a dumb idea that has been suggested many times, although in the unlikely chance that someone sweet like Peter Jackson took on the project then I would change my opinion, but that ain't going to happen.

N

Ng51386

Gotta agree with Sparnage, the storyline is much deeper than the basic revenge theme, it's the beginning storyline, but thankfully it's developed into something more than that.

It might seem like it's been a decade or whatever since Casca went crazy, but in the Berserk world it's been 2+ years since Guts went on his journey hunting down apostles, then came back. I know how you feel though, it feels like it's going on and on, and it is, but you have to remember, we're nearing the end of volume 30 or something, but this manga is about 20 years old.

And to say you're going to take on teh God Hand, and some more apostles like Zodd is a tad much. These guys are beyond demonic, they guys are near Godlike. If Miura does choose to have Guts and or SK to take on the God Hand, ideally and logically it'll be one at a time, until the final two left are Femto and Void. At least I'd like to see that since those two God Hand members have some kind of past with Guts and SK.

There are plenty of Japan PS games that havent been released in the US or many other countries, dont know why though...

And as Berserk being done as a motion picture.... I just dont see it happening, as an anime sure why not, but not as a movie. If you do a movie, it'll turn up like crap. You'll edit out stuff, and you'll also have a lot of scenes missing. Things that are too long for a 2+ hour movie tends to have a lot of things cut out of it, if you make it into an anime on TV, then you'll have plenty of time to do it. Doubt it'll happen anytime soon :p

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
ManChild666 said:
I know their have been threads on this before, but I don't care. This is my thread.
  Admins care  :void:
Guts is getting older
  One of the things that I myself find most interesting. Rarely you get to read about a character that grows on it's own pace.  For you as a reader, to grow and learn at the same time Guts (in this case) gets to do.   

I hope he remembers that this story is primarily about revenge
  Says who?

It's Guts story and I hope he doesn't change that.
  Miura created him... Iiii'm pretty sure he's not going to waste him out. 

I just want some closure for God's sake. I want to see Griffith, Zodd, and the God Hand to get their asses handed to them by Guts and SK.
  I take it you just finished the anime? :troll:

In summary, you just posted about the 10 most hated threads in the community in one blow.  Not that you are not entitled to your opinion or anything. Don't take this personal, but bitching about Berserk in a fan-based forum isn't my idea of a right audience.  Know what I mean?  :SK:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ManChild666 said:
I know their have been threads on this before, but I don't care. This is my thread.

Yeah well, whether you care or not really isn't the question. Creating a thread doesn't make it "yours" either. Nevertheless, I'll let it live for now in spite of the mess it is. You'd be nice to change your attitude in the future though.

ManChild666 said:
I think Miura should consider ending the series soon. I think that if you draw a series out too much, it seems like your milking it in a way. Don't get me wrong, I still love Berserk and how the story is devloping, it's just...Guts is getting older, and how long can Casca be 'crazy' for? Also, how much longer is Guts and SK going to pussy foot around before they get around to taking out the Godhand, if that is what's going to happen. I just think that Miura shouldn't get too big with it like Guin Saga or something.

Does it feel drawn out to you? Not to me, and if you love it I imagine it's the same for you. That sort of kills your point. As for Guts getting older, he hasn't aged much since volume 14 actually. I don't think he's under 22 with all of what happened (to answer Sparnage), but he's certainly not much older than that. Same for Casca being crazy, they've been travelling to Elfhelm for a while and she might get cured soon, why do you even ask? And about killing the God Hand... What makes you assume Guts or SK have any way to take them out? Guts met Slan in the Qliphoth and look what resulted. I think your problem here isn't that the story feels drawn out but that it progresses slowly, and unfortunately this won't change. In that regard, your comparison with Guin Saga is irrelevant since on the contrary it's produced very quickly for a novel series.

ManChild666 said:
I hope he remembers that this story is primarily about revenge, and the relationship between Guts and Griffith. It's Guts story and I hope he doesn't change that. I just want some closure for God's sake. I want to see Griffith, Zodd, and the God Hand to get their asses handed to them by Guts and SK.

He knows more than you or me about the story and what it should be about, comments like this really don't do much besides making you look pretentious. As for closure, it won't come anytime soon. I have the feeling that it's really just what you wanted to say and that the development of the story doesn't actually bother you, you're in fact just impatient. However that's only your concern, not ours. You want to see all the baddies get their asses added to them in the next volume, in a rushed and unsatisfying manner? I sure don't, and I know I'm not alone. Fortunately there will be more to it than that, and the plot will be masterfully resolved, that's what I expect and nothing less.

ManChild666 said:
And what the fuck is it with the PS2 game. I can't believe Sammy didn't bring it to the US. People here would eat it up. It looks bad as fuck.

Who cares man, get over it and import the game already. It's been more than a year and since the beginning people had been warned that no localization was planned. Sammy had their reasons and I don't think they made a commercial error, being bitter about it won't change anything.

ManChild666 said:
I also think it would be sick if someone like Peter Jackson did a motion picture Trilogy out of Berserk. Rated R and unforgiving in content. No PG-13 bullshit for Chriss-sake.

I'm sure you know there's a thread about this, so I won't insist and just say I'm glad no live action Berserk movie will ever be made.

Ng51386 said:
this manga is about 20 years old.

16 years old actually.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Zing!

Pretty much nailed what I was gonna say.
A trilogy of movies (despite the fact that Peter jackson said he'd never do one again) would not encompass the story of Berserk. Considering its an ongoing story and there just so much written already, it wouldn't work in any form as a movie. So, no, it would not be 'sick' (unless by sick you mean bad, in which case, yes).

Wow, 16 years, huh?
Our little baby's all grown up and driving now. *sob* :judo:
God help whoever else is on the road... :chomp:

And what the fuck is it with the PS2 game. I can't believe Sammy didn't bring it to the US. People here would eat it up. It looks bad as fuck.

I might be wrong but my theory about this is that from their eyes, bringing it to the U.S. just doesn't make sense. As far as they are concerned, we havn't seen passed the eclipse because the only official Berserk that has crossed the seas is the anime and the Dark Horse translations. So sending the game wouldn't really spoil anything but it wouldn't fit the current story either.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Struggler said:
I might be wrong but my theory about this is that from their eyes, bringing it to the U.S. just doesn't make sense. As far as they are concerned, we havn't seen passed the eclipse because the only official Berserk that has crossed the seas is the anime and the Dark Horse translations. So sending the game simply wouldn't make sense at this point in time. People curious about the game wouldn't know what to make of it, until Dark Horse catches up.

The first game took place in a segment of the story long after the eclipse. (Millennium Falcon Arc)

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
DemonX v.2.0 said:
What the heck? The story ending now? What do you think this is? Dragon Ball Z?

Now there was a show that was dragged on endlessly! You dont see Guts spending 10 episodes powering up, thank god.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Another theory might be that the original game didn't sell too well in the states.

Actually, although I don't have any precise number (I wish I did) I think the Berserk DC game did decently in the USA, that's one of the reasons they even released it in the UK. Now "decently" might not be enough, but I think the factor not to ignore here is the PS2 Berserk game's success in Japan. The Berserk DC game was well received by professional reviewers at the time and was a somehow strong title, which isn't the PS2 game's case. It sold well enough but didn't go over 100,000 copies sold (I have the numbers for that one), that does not warrant a localization when your game is rated 28/40 by Famitsu.

Tristram said:
Now there was a show that was dragged on endlessly! You dont see Guts spending 10 episodes powering up, thank god.

Yeah, let's not start comparing the two please.

EDIT: The debate about a Berserk live-action movie was moved to the appropriate thread.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Actually, although I don't have any precise number (I wish I did) I think the Berserk DC game did decently in the USA, that's one of the reasons they even released it in the UK. Now "decently" might not be enough, but I think the factor not to ignore here is the PS2 Berserk game's success in Japan. The Berserk DC game was well received by professional reviewers at the time and was a somehow strong title, which isn't the PS2 game's case. It sold well enough but didn't go over 100,000 copies sold (I have the numbers for that one), that does not warrant a localization when your game is rated 28/40 by Famitsu.

Yea I looked for a number of sales before I posted but found none so I just went off I read from an editorial.
The ps2 game's tepid success is probably the best reason it isn't over here... makes sense to me.

Skullgrin140 said:
I just want to know. Why did the anime Stop? It was getting good. and then we had to resort to Reading the Manga!

Yeah! I hate being "stuck" reading the vastly superior Manga! You could get lynched here for saying that. I like the Anime, specifically because I would never have found out about the Manga if a friend hadn't brought the Anime over. If the Anime had been more faithful to the Manga then I would be more disappointed about it's discontinuation. But you make it sound as if the Manga is some sort of cheap consolation prize. So if you feel stuck that is a damn shame. Because I (and quite a few others who found the Manga because of the Anime) feel rewarded.

ManChild666 said:
I also think it would be sick if someone like Peter Jackson did a motion picture Trilogy out of Berserk. Rated R and unforgiving in content. No PG-13 bullshit for Chriss-sake. Thoughts anyone?
I know that there is a movie thread Aazealh but I wish to make a few short comments on this statement.

First off. No.

Second: Why does everyone say Peter Jackson?  God damn. I like the man's work (and not just his Lord of the Rings films and Kong either) but it's not like he is the best man for the job. Jesus, what's next the Burton fanboys?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
Why did the anime Stop?

It was planned like that from the beginning. Just 25 episodes. That's it.

Skullgrin140 said:
then we had to resort to Reading the Manga!

What a stupid thing to say... Man you had to resort to read, a real shame. What's next, PAYING for it? The world's gone crazy. :schierke:

jepn30 said:
Why does everyone say Peter Jackson?

Good question. It's annoying.

jepn30 said:
what's next the Burton fanboys?

It's started already. Fortunately it's been rather isolated for now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Whether this turns into another movie debate or another anime vs. manga debate... its all OT

Well it's not like this thread focused on anything in particular to begin with. It'll eventually get locked if the discussion goes on chaotically.

Top Bottom