Some good statues on Ebay right now!

Chiba said:
As long as the price is ridiculously low and it comes from a suspicious country it's not hard to identify a bootleg, but I wouldnt know it if someone sold it for a more common price and that's what I'm afraid of.

Hey Chiba, well, I think if you're worried about buying a fake pre-painted statue, you are generally fine. Especially when it comes to AOW fakes, there are hardly any. AOW has the serialized nameplates and the metal edge boxes. Also, the only way to really have a fake statue is:

- recasting a kit, and then painting it (but then no nameplate or box, and the weight is different too).
- making a mold of a statue, then casting a kit from that, and then painting it (wayyy too much work and hard to do)

In terms of possibly being tricked into buying a 1/10 Griffith on Horse recast, well that COULD happen I suppose. If someone had the original AOW box, with all the original photographs that are included, as well as all the instructions/papers, and wanted to stuff a recast in there, and then sell it, then YES, that would be a big scam. Let's hope that never happens to any of us!

But for pre-painted statues, I think you are pretty safe. =) As long as the nameplate is there and the AOW box is included, you are good to go.

And, if it's a LE version of a statue, like let's say a bloody version, and you're worried if some random guy just painted blood on it and called it LE, then check to see if the box has the LE sticker, and to see what the number on the serial plate is. If it's a low number (in most cases), this means it's part of the LE run. If it's a higher number, then could be a fake. Also, unless the custom work is EXTREMELY good, you can usually tell what's AOW, and what's not.

Chiba

Proud owner of a Dragonslayer
That's good to know.
But from what I know, a statue has eitehr a seral number or none at all, right? I've seen statues that had a plate for a serial number, but no number on it, what does that mean?

Chiba

So if the seller writes that they're rare AoW releases he's wrong, right? Cause that's what confused me about some auctions.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chiba said:
So if the seller writes that they're rare AoW releases he's wrong, right? Cause that's what confused me about some auctions.

He's not wrong per se about them being AOW releases (well, except for the rare part). The statues were made by AOW, they're just special releases that were distributed by Toycom. Of course they're not rare though, that's false (at least they're not worth more than the normal editions). But even if the seller tells you it's from Toycom or Yamato, in the end it's still an AOW statue (save for a couple of exceptions: 2 statues of a young Guts in the Hawks). Usually the major changes are the box (no metal edges) and the lack of a serial number. That's part of what makes them less desirable for collectors. I encourage you to go check Derek's site for more information: everything you need to know is in there, every different version of every statue.

Chiba

Aazealh said:
I encourage you to go check Derek's site for more information: everything you need to know is in there, every different version of every statue.

Thanks, I'll do that. :serpico:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
A couple of LOW serial number statues have reared their heads. How low? #0000 low: Link. Seriously though, what are the chances that this fellow would have too statues with such low serial numbers :puck:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Uriel said:
A couple of LOW serial number statues have reared their heads. How low? #0000 low: Link. Seriously though, what are the chances that this fellow would have too statues with such low serial numbers :puck:

The statues with 0000 serial numbers are artist proof statues. I remember someone who was selling three AP statues on Skullknight a while back. I think they were the Guts, Casca, and Grif Hawk Soldiers statues. I believe they are given as gifts to the fine people who work at Art of War.They are not that rare on Ebay or Yahoo Japan.

Uriel said:

Hey Uriel,

Actually, I've done business with this guy before.  He's a really cool guy and very reliable.  I'm not sure how he gets his hands on all of his stuff either, but he is Japanese, and he's been selling really rare collectibles/statues on ebay for years now (he had a different ebay name before... I can't remember what though, something like 73un... not sure).

In terms of those #0000 statues, the quality is just the same, no need to worry.  I've compared 0000 with numbered statues before and there was no real difference in terms of the paint jobs.

Hope that helps!

Chiba said:
I bet the Griffith one will shoot above 400$ in the end, so I don't get my hopes up yet. :judo:

Actually, the demand for that statue isn't too great, so you might luck out. I dunno how much Ng wants it for, but may the best bidder win! =)

N

Ng51386

I plan on winning :guts:

Chiba, if you're interested in a MF, I do have one you might be interested in.

I've dealt with that seller in the past, bought a vampire hunter D statue from him and another one, good seller at least from my experience with him.

Chiba

Ng51386 said:
I plan on winning :guts:

Chiba, if you're interested in a MF, I do have one you might be interested in.

I have so many statues currently in preorder that I can't afford another one anyways, so you don't have to be afraid of me outbidding you. :judo:

N

Ng51386

If by some chance "erad117" ebay username is a forum person, I kindly ask that you reject your bid of 350 for the Griffith on horse :p

Made the thing sky rocket insanely suddenly :miura:

Chiba

I can tell you that it's not me. Even if I really wanted that statue I wouldn't pay that much for it.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
Hey Ng51386, is that what the griffith on horse ended for or was that amount outbid? I'm gald I got mine for 225 two years ago. And rob has a normal edition listed on ebay now for a buy it now of 310

N

Ng51386

Meh, the guy was using the same exact tactic for ebay as I was I think. He didnt think anyone would bid that high :(

Aw well, it's a 0000 :p

I'll sell some statues to make up for it lol

-----------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&item=330008408987&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Bidding war against me whoever wants it :zodd:

Top Bottom