Berserk on a motion picture?!?!?

Considering that the DS would have to be made of strofoam or some other type of lightweight material, and yet it's supposed to crush through all that armor and apostle and what not (Come on, you can't really believe the the DS is actually sharp after all those fights, the armor and pillars and crap, being as thick as it is, and Guts not being the blacksmith that Godo is and not having access to a forge to fix it. The force in which Guts swings the massive thing is what does the damage.). I seriously doubt it could be pulled off credibly. Well, I suppose they might try CGing it.

yay for parallelism! :troll:

Walter, there is a simple solution to your problem. If/when a Berserk live-action movie or series is made, don't watch it. I'm sure some Lord of the Rings fans did that.

Your rationale doesn't make much sense by the way. A Berserk live-action series MAY not be all that great, so it shouldn't be attempted? The same could have been said of every movie in history prior to its production. Great movies are VERY RARE. You have to give it a shot though. Going back to Lord of the Rings...The reality is that a lot of people loved the live-action trilogy. Why deprive people of that potential enjoyment?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BillyBudd said:
Walter, there is a simple solution to your problem. If/when a Berserk live-action movie or series is made, don't watch it.
Oh, I'd take a peek :guts:

Your rationale doesn't make much sense by the way. A Berserk live-action series MAY not be all that great, so it shouldn't be attempted?
I'm perfectly happy with the manga myself, and don't really see the need for another medium of Berserk.

The same could have been said of every movie in history prior to its production. Great movies are VERY RARE.
Yes, especially comic-movies.

You have to give it a shot though. Going back to Lord of the Rings...The reality is that a lot of people loved the live-action trilogy. Why deprive people of that potential enjoyment?
Since when am I an active agent in what does or does not get produced in Hollywood? I've simply stated why I don't believe it could be pulled off successfully and accurately according to the manga.

I understand where you're coming from, but if I were in your shoes, I'd be saying...

I personally don't see a need for a live-action series, and I doubt the quality would be up to my standards, but hey, why not?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BillyBudd said:
but hey, why not?
Because the history of medium-leaping for Berserk hasn't been hot. Furthermore, the localization done on the anime was embarassing. A live-action movie would be even more vulnerable to such blunders, as I've said before.

These are just the reasons I personally wouldn't like to see it produced. Though, I'm sure that ultimately I'm in the minority here. That being said, Ving Rhames should be Guts, and it should be directed by Paul W.S. Anderson.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
haha, I just noticed this thread is back from 2002 and still going strong. I really don't think it will ever end, this debate I mean. There will always be optimists/dreamers saying "yes it should be done" and those looking at Berserk in a more practical, down-to-earth sort of way disagreeing, not wishing to humiliate the outlook on Berserk with mainstream hype and trash..

The debate will rage on as long as there are berserk fans :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BillyBudd said:
I would like to see a quality live-action series based on Berserk. Look at Lord of the Rings. It can be done.

How many times are people going to cite the Lord of the Rings adaptation as if it proved anything? So Peter Jackson adapted the second best selling book in the world into a movie trilogy and took liberties with that adaptation, which angered a good number of fans. Is it supposed to be a serious argument in regard to the adaptation of a long running comic book series because both are labeled as "fantasy"? In this case, I'd suggest reading the 14 precedent pages of this thread for some interesting discussions about it.

BillyBudd said:
It is ridiculous to say that a sub-par live-action series would "destroy" Berserk.

Yes, it certainly is. Why make a sub-par series in the first place, though? Since it would be sub-par compared to the original anyway, you know.

BillyBudd said:
I have the feeling that most of the people who want to "protect Berserk from Hollywood" think of Berserk as their "secret treasure" to some extent. They like the fact that Berserk isn't mainstream.

Depends what you call mainstream really. Berserk is a popular series, it's just not as well known in the USA as in other countries yet. Also, I have the feeling that most of the people who want to "see a live-action version of Berserk made" are just unrealistic, think of Berserk in a simplistic way and as their "personal property" to some extent. They just imagine it could be fun to see, and don't think about it much more than that. Good thing they're not in charge of what is made or not.

Ariyn said:
Come on, you can't really believe the the DS is actually sharp after all those fights, the armor and pillars and crap, being as thick as it is, and Guts not being the blacksmith that Godo is and not having access to a forge to fix it.

You don't need a forge to whet a blade.

BillyBudd said:
Walter, there is a simple solution to your problem. If/when a Berserk live-action movie or series is made, don't watch it. I'm sure some Lord of the Rings fans did that.

There's also the solution of the movie not being made. And since it's what will happen, I'm sure Walter will be Ok. :void:

BillyBudd said:
You have to give it a shot though. Going back to Lord of the Rings...The reality is that a lot of people loved the live-action trilogy. Why deprive people of that potential enjoyment?

The reality is that nobody cares about "a lot of people" here. If people want to enjoy Berserk they can as things currently are, they don't absolutely need a live-action series. In fact there's no need for Berserk as a work of art to be transferred to another medium. It's pretty much perfect as it is to me, not limited in any way, and since its author seems to be thinking the same, all is good. Let me ask you a simple question: what would a live-action adaptation add to Berserk itself, art-wise (and I mean art as a general notion, not just graphically)? Motion and sound effects? I don't see any reason to have it made other than some people's superficial curiosity as to what it'd be like. On the contrary, I see a lot of important and valuable things that would have to be subtracted for the needs of that adaptation.

BillyBudd said:
I doubt the quality would be up to my standards, but hey, why not?

Again, why? I mean, what's your reason besides the fact you would like to see it, just in case it's good? Because it can be done? Because since some persons don't like to read, it'd be nice to adapt it for them so they can enjoy it in spite of their own reluctance? I'm afraid that isn't very convincing, at least it wouldn't be if you were submitting your movie project to producers. What I'm getting at is that you're not going anywhere if you're just trying to prove that your opinion is better than another with posts like these, especially since it's highly unlikely that a quality Berserk movie will ever be made, let alone a series.

IsolatioN said:
haha, I just noticed this thread is back from 2002 and still going strong.

Yeah, it's been going around in circles since its creation, with most of the new people posting not reading older contributions. My dearest wish would be to grant Ranemaka what he asked for, but I'm pretty sure someone would make another thread a week later.

Call me lazy or unimaginative, but I enjoy watching live-action films and anime more than reading manga. It's more entertaining. In the end, that's what Berserk is to me...entertainment. Sure, I see the themes at work, and I appreciate its artistic merits, but I watch and read it to be entertained. There are millions of people out there who would rather watch a movie than pick up a book.

The Lord of the Rings analogy works because both are fantasy works, both are episodic, and both require current technology to do them justice. The LotR films introduced MiddleEarth to millions of people who never would have picked up the books. It also brought MiddleEarth to life for many long-time fans. I think Berserk has the same potential. Sure, liberties would need to be taken, but the same thing happened to a certain extent with the Berserk anime, and I loved it. A live-action Berserk would be different than the manga, but that doesn't mean that it would necessarily be inferior. Some people would argue that the Lord of the Rings films are better than the novels. For the sake of argument, let's say that the Berserk live-action series would be inferior to the manga no matter what. What would that mean? It would mean that it wouldn't be GREAT. How many works of art are truly GREAT. Not many. So the Berserk live-action series may only be REALLY GOOD...I can live with that! Bring it on!

As I said, the manga will always exist in its original form. No harm is done by making a live-action series. The manga will always be there to enjoy. The most compelling reason for the production of a Berserk live-action series is the potential to entertain millions of people with an amazing story, amazing characters, and amazing visuals. And as far as I'm concerned, that would be a good thing.

BillyBudd said:
The Lord of the Rings analogy works because both are fantasy works, both are episodic, and both require current technology to do them justice.

Not necessarily. And Lord of the Rings is hardly 'episodic' (and neither is Berserk in any real sense, the anime made it seem that way). And manga is doing justice quite nicely to the vision of Miura-sensei, thank you.

Some people would argue that the Lord of the Rings films are better than the novels.

Those people have either never read the books, or never appreciated British literature, IMO.

The most compelling reason for the production of a Berserk live-action series is the potential to entertain millions of people with an amazing story, amazing characters, and amazing visuals.

Which can be utterly ruined by a crappy story, crappy characters, and crappy visuals (though the least likely) resulting from such a translation of mediums.

Only if (and a big IF) Miura decides to direct, write, and produce one will I ever hold interest in this concept.

BillyBudd said:
There are millions of people out there who would rather watch a movie than pick up a book.
and those are the people not worth addressing.
most people who would never read a book like movies by Michael Bay.

I do not want Michael Bay to direct Berserk. :miura:

CnC

Ad Oculos
BillyBudd said:
Call me lazy or unimaginative, but I enjoy watching live-action films and anime more than reading manga.

Not to sound to snobbish but thats _your_ problem. No need to inflict a movie on the rest of us to compensate for your desensitization.

And I have yet to find ANYONE that prefers the lotr movies to the book (who have _read_ the books)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
And I have yet to find ANYONE that prefers the lotr movies to the book (who have _read_ the books)

Being one who has read the book, I definitely prefer it to the movies, but the movies were pretty damn good, even considering the creative liberties. But yeah, I'm getting sick and tired of seeing this thread being continually discussed when it's only the people who are too lazy to pick up a book, or aren't satisfied with a good thing staying in one medium, reviving it.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Slightly Green said:
can we kill this thread yet?
 Sorry dude... I mean it.

Aaaahh looking back at a almost 4 year time-capsule... A lot of weird and strange satanic and dark visions I had those days... Wait hold on a minute... Oh... Oh no... Shit! Aaz, Walter! I was reading LaVey's satanic bibble near that day I made this thread... Jesus! Look at my modifying date!
http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=5311.msg6974#msg6974

nuff said - best make it a series of maaaany 2 hour long movies - but Anime, I personally have no wish to see a "normal" movie with my favorite characters!!!!

Or maybe we could have the episodes of Manga done quicker? :chomp: want some more!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dakiro said:
Or maybe we could have the episodes of Manga done quicker? :chomp: want some more!
You should write a letter to Miura telling him that you'd like his series to be drawn with stick figures so it could come out faster.

As much as I would like to see Berserk made into a movie, its completely impossible Because bare in mind who would play guts in real life? Plus with all the swords and stuff, It would cost alot of money.

Plus it would be very hard to find the right Director for it, And not Peter Jackson, lol

But seriously though, I don't think Berserk would ever be made into a movie. And Like I said with the rock as Pippin. I don't know why I said that. lol

If Berserk was to ever be made into a movie. It should not be a live action movie, But in Perfect CGI like in Final Fantasy Advent children. That would be worth seeing

Berserk made into CGI like FF: AC? But in Berserk people actually get wounded (and no, having messed up hair doesn't count as wounded). There's no way that could work!

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
I think CGI would be the only good way to do an actual Berserk movie if such a thing were even attempted, although I've gotta admit I'd still be wary of seeing any sort of big screen adaptation.  Most comic or video game based movies seem to get mutilated in the process and I wouldn't like to see that done to Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Raziel said:
I think CGI would be the only good way to do an actual Berserk movie if such a thing were even attempted

What about traditional animation? It would be as good if not better than CGI, and less expensive.

Walter said:
You should write a letter to Miura telling him that you'd like his series to be drawn with stick figures so it could come out faster.
On just how this might look see Order of the Stick, RPG comic with caracters drawn to be,well,sticks.

Denial said:
Berserk made into CGI like FF: AC? But in Berserk people actually get wounded (and no, having messed up hair doesn't count as wounded). There's no way that could work!

I am not revering to the messed up hair. lol, Just alot of blood and gore and violent scenes, All CGI! :serpico:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
What about traditional animation? It would be as good if not better than CGI, and less expensive.

Does that even still exist?! :troll:

But I agree, a well done 2d animation would be great. 3d animations can be very pretty to work with but theres still nothing to compete with the styles 2d can do.

I'd watch either, but I still don't see a feasible movie plot coming from Berserk.

Top Bottom