Berserk on a motion picture?!?!?

S

smoke

untitled6dj.png

43d954bd-000e6-068d8-41d3a398.jpg

I think it's a striking resemblance. :casca:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I like that this thread consists of one bad joke being told over and over for 17 pages. It's like the same cycle of 3 posts being repeated. In some cases, they're almost identical. Example:

trapped_soul said:
untitled6dj.png

0,1020,361814,00.jpg

striking, isn't it? wow.

smoke said:
untitled6dj.png

43d954bd-000e6-068d8-41d3a398.jpg

I think it's a striking resemblance.  :casca:

Striking!

Yeah, hardy har har, I get it, they wouldn't actually make for a very good choice. You guys could at least up the ante at this point. If this is all we can do, I should have had the thread locked after my awesome Berserk: The Movie poster. =)

*Hint: more posters* :badbone:

Update:
Official posters thread!
http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=6180.new#new

S

Snowdjinn

trapped_soul said:
how many movies have you produced so far? or is berserk gonna be your debut in that area of your life? sounds very exciting really, especially the "personaly study the art film".
yeah that sounds pretty plausible too.
if you only were a sacrifice indeed.

-TS
ur gay... period
Cause yours soo much more experiance than me in film making so that means you can shit on my ideals but yours must be gold right?

CnC said:
wow, where to begin...

So basically you realize that the manga wouldn't be a good for a movie, so you want to change it so it would work. Fine, just don't call it Berserk. Call it Snowdjinn's Assraping of a Perfectly Good Story (rated R for excessive "experiance" of film making)

Let no man ever doubt your loyalty. :schierke:

I suppose the Brooks "Instatue" nor your "personaly" study the art of film never bothered to teach the art of writing. So until that little hurdle is overcome, I ask on behalf of the Berserk community to stay the hell away from the idea.
http://www.mahjqa.com/stuff/grammarnazi.gif
two words... grammar nazi

I think it would be a great movie, but your an idiot and obviously have no ideal how editing works, why do you think the most of the 1st, all of the 2nd, and most of the 3rd book werent in the animation? You tell me smart guy.

Aazealh said:
You're the fat here, and you need to be cut off.
OHhh hahah wow thats soo funny.. do you write your own material? no seriously your soo funny you probably write all thoughs catchy one liners for the audience members of "Jerry Springer" or something dont cha' big guy.

S

smoke

The above post is what happens when somebody gets beat in an argument over the internet. All that's missing is a line that reads something like "While you're criticizing me in your mom's basement, I'll be out enjoying life."

Classic!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Before your inevitable banning I'd just like to quickly retort.

Snowdjinn said:
I think it would be a great movie, but your an idiot and obviously have no ideal how editing works, why do you think the most of the 1st, all of the 2nd, and most of the 3rd book werent in the animation? You tell me smart guy.

Grammar and spelling fascism aside, I actually do have an "ideal" as to how editing works, not this is even really a part of this topic. And it doesn't matter if you use Avid, Final Cut, or even Premiere to edit this movie, it still wouldn't have a plot applicable from the manga. Nothing short of a star wipe from the opening credits to the closing credits would mean the movie was saved by its editing.

Seriously, are you 12?

Gilgalad

The Journey has only begun
To start off you can not use any current actors. They would have to find some no names that looked like the characters. Secondly if you were to start a series of berserk movies you would have to finish them. They cannot focus on a single portion of the story because that would be totally bogus. All of the stories flow into each other, so it is impossible to please the fans if you simply focus on a single arc of saga, such as the black swordsman.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Out of curiosity, why hasn't this thread been locked? Was it ever locked in the past and re-opened? :???:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Well, I bet the mods and admins know that if they lock it, sooner or later another topic about the exact same thing will pop up. After all, it is just better to have one big topic about it then having a couple different topics about the same thing popping up each week, right? Just my guess though. :guts:

Also this Snowdjinn guy makes me laugh a lot harder then I have laughed in a long time.. :troll:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IsolatioN said:
Well, I bet the mods and admins know that if they lock it, sooner or later another topic about the exact same thing will pop up. After all, it is just better to have one big topic about it then having a couple different topics about the same thing popping up each week, right? Just my guess though.  :guts:

Yeah, that's probably it. I think the best thing for me to do is to just stop reading it. But then again, everytime I decide to stop looking at the new posts, I get curious as to what lunacy is occurring in here. :beast:

IsolatioN said:
Also this Snowdjinn guy makes me laugh a lot harder then I have laughed in a long time.. :troll:

Yes, his ideals are pretty amusing.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
I can't deny that this thread is entertaining. 

smoke said:
The above post is what happens when somebody gets beat in an argument over the internet. All that's missing is a line that reads something like "While you're criticizing me in your mom's basement, I'll be out enjoying life."

Classic!

You just gotta love the temper tantrums some people throw.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Snowdjinn said:
ur gay... period
Cause yours soo much more experiance than me in film making so that means you can shit on my ideals but yours must be gold right?
http://www.mahjqa.com/stuff/grammarnazi.gif
two words... grammar nazi

OHhh hahah wow thats soo funny.. do you write your own material? no seriously your soo funny you probably write all thoughs catchy one liners for the audience members of "Jerry Springer" or something dont cha' big guy.
Listen retard. You have been sliding down shithill once you said "I dont really feel like reading anything before all this so here is my idea.."

Please just jump in a fire, but before that, slap your mother and your now gay father for birthing you.

p.s. i hate you

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Snowdjinn said:

Haha yeah, and now I'm cutting you off. :guts:

Rhombaad said:
Out of curiosity, why hasn't this thread been locked? Was it ever locked in the past and re-opened?

It was never locked and reopened, but we've considered locking it a lot of times. IsolatioN is right, I know I've kept it going for a while because people kept making new threads that I had to merge with it so locking this one wouldn't have solved the problem. Anyway it might get locked arbitrarily whenever an admin will decide it's time.

"Griffith No More!" said:
I'm tired of dreaming, I want to see Berserk brought to life!

OMG, that was nasty...

A Berserk live-action movie ? NFW ! Berserk is perfect as it is ! besides I already had enough with the Fist of the North Star and the Korean movie adaptations of Hokuto no Ken and I don´t want THAT happen to Berserk. u_u

Edit : Btw why hasn´t this topic been closed already ?

Record Low

1 person makes the difference
beef up eric bana and i think we got an ok guts....halle berry is a popular choice so ill stick to that one for casca...Kris Kristofferson for godo.... griffith is the hardest man to pick a guy to lead that role...

Hey
I've been mulling this topic over in my head since falling in love with the world of Berserk a couple years ago. Mainly, since I've been mentally writing my own epic saga off and on for about 15 years, I've actually took this story's possibilities as serious as the next fanboy. I've even considered taking up screenwriting classes at UCLA as a possible grad school option now that I've graduated from college...
Anyhoo, back to the point of this post (sorry for the short string of tangents)
I feel that the only way to tackle a story of this magnitude in a movie format would be to wait until the story is finally finished. Once the manga is finished, then being able to adapt Berserk will be a reality, mainly, it gives the screenwriting process a sense of direction (Let's face it, none of us want to see a Berserk movie that doesn't live up to the spirit of Miura's masterpiece).
Although many have brought up the idea of putting a focus on certain arcs, I believe a tangible summarization of the entire story, split up into several movies (a la LOTR) would benefit the adaptation. However, rather than 3 films, (speculatively) 7 would work out adequately (that's considering that the whole story can be summed up in 7, 2.5-3.5 hour movies... lol). However, for such a work of that great magnitude to work out, the director (who needs to also be a fanboy of Berserk) would have to approach it as a 2 to 3 movie deal, and film it in the same manner as LOTR (3 films over two years), with the option to finish the speculative 7. That way, the director could then use the success of the films to propell the production of the last 4.
In regards to the actors, I don't believe we need big name actors to garner intrest in the movie. If that was the case, LOTR wouldn't have been a great success by that logic (although Frodo was great in Radio Flier... lol). Although Halle would be immaculate as Casca, I truly believe that there is another actress that would fit the bill perfectly. Plus, why does she need to be black? Why couldn't the actress be Arabic? I mean, according to other threads, some believe that Casca could be Kushan...
In regards to Guts, I don't believe we need a wrestler-turned actor like the Rock just to justify the physical build to height ratio. As we all know from LOTR, through tricking perception, we can have people appear three feet taller or shorter than they really are. You just need an actor who looks like he could wield a sword that's a big, and probably as heavy as him, then use the perception trick.
There are tons of semantics to hammer out to make this film(s) a reality, but, I believe that once Miura finishes his masterpiece, an adequate adaptation of Berserk is possible
(then again, the graphic nature of the Manga and trying to translate the Eclipse without getting a NC-17 or X rating is a different issue in itself....lol)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That's all very well thought out except that you don't mention the word "budget" at all in your post. You should look into how Peter Jackson BARELY got LotR off the ground. It was on a shot in the dark by New Line. And that's a well-established franchise from a hugely popular fantasy series that started a whole cultural movement in the 70s (well.. the hippies had hobbit pins anyway).

And then we have Berserk, a cult fantasy series that, Stateside, only anime nerds have heard of. Try pitching your 3-7 movie project to any major production company and they'll probably ask you to refill their coffee mug. XD

But keep dreaming, dude. Keep dreaming.

In regards to Guts, I don't believe we need a wrestler-turned actor like the Rock just to justify the physical build to height ratio. As we all know from LOTR, through tricking perception, we can have people appear three feet taller or shorter than they really are. You just need an actor who looks like he could wield a sword that's a big, and probably as heavy as him, then use the perception trick.
Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it was for Jackson to film through forced perspective? They had to assemble entire set rigs that moved with the camera, and hire midget doubles with identical costumes for every hobbit. It was a HUGE expense, but for LotR it was necessary due to the integral nature of the Hobbits' size in the story.

You're proposing a director go through the same undertaking JUST because you cant find a guy that's tall enough? That won't fly, I'm afraid. And there's more to pulling off Guts than just being able to wield a sword, you know... He has to have the aura of Guts, and convincingly portray the huge range of emotions Guts displays throughout the series. It would be a monumental task for ANY actor, not to mention any bodybuilder.

Feanor

Nur dem Schwert kannst du vertrauen!
I think someone who performs kickboxing or something like ultimate fighting is a good choice because he's a fighter like guts and so he could act as guts in a realistic way even if he has not the abilities to play in other roles. I wish the same for casca too, because it looks very unrealistic if a stylish beauty without muscles and agility kicks the hell out of far more stronger male soldiers and one month at the gym is not enough to be credible. My nightmare is something like
"Xena" with Lucy Lawless or "Tomb Rider" with Angelina Jolie.

Yeah like people have been saying, Berserk would need several movies that are at least 3 hours long each, and theres just no way that any studio would finance that, so i think its impossible that any movie made in reality would even touch the mastery of the manga. Not to mention how much it would have to be censored because of the violence and sex and all that good stuff :)

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
Who cares about the movies. Just bring out the 2nd berserk season for christ sakes. I mean sure i'll settled for the manga but i want it all!!

Top Bottom