Berserk on a motion picture?!?!?

Record Low

1 person makes the difference
TheSkyTraveller said:
Outside the manga, opera could be one of the only mediums to properly represent Berserk. Come on, think about it, the tragedy, the drama, the extravagant costumes and detailed sets!

I'd would love to see the opera trying to pull off the eclipse... with all the feelings and emotions...especially Guts cutting off his arm...while trying to stop griffith...although the singing could paint a better picture...

In my opinion i think that the eclipse has many realistic features that are too unreal (difference of the berserk world from ours)and yet capable of true scenarios(betrayel, dreams, hopes, fear and so on). The singing in my opinion would change everyones personality, attitude,...well its just i cant picture guts singing if he has so much rage...

i believe that it should be left for an OVA ... but thats just me...

edited* man im tired...need more sleep, sorry for the mix up.*

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Record Low said:
I'd would love to see the opera trying to pull off the eclipse... with all the feelings and emotions...especially Guts cutting off his arm...while trying to stop griffith...although the singing could paint a better picture...

In my opinion i think that the eclipse has too much realistic features that are to unreal and yet capable of true scenarios. The singing in my opinion would change everyones personality, attitude, egos, point of view, etc.

i believe that it should be left for an OVA ...
Anime is the BEST medium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :guts:

I think you're underestimating the power of the operatic epic. But, to each their own...

In my opinion i think that the eclipse has too much realistic features that are to unreal and yet capable of true scenarios.
Oh yeah ... and what the hell does this mean?

CnC

Ad Oculos
berserk could definitely work in an operatic medium. Opera's dealt with fantastical elements before and all the character developments you would see on the stage are there in Berserk. It could be very entertaining.

What language should it be in?

Skullgrin140 said:
I would hate to see people give bad reviews about it too

you sound as if you know they would

CnC said:
berserk could definitely work in an operatic medium.  Opera's dealt with fantastical elements before and all the character developments you would see on the stage are there in Berserk.  It could be very entertaining.

What language should it be in?

you sound as if you know they would

Well its a little to early to judge if anyone would criticize this if it was ever made. As for the language. It should be in English

Skullgrin140 said:
Well its a little to early to judge if anyone would criticize this if it was ever made. As for the language. It should be in English
Uhhh, why "should" it be in English?
Just for your convenience?
Why not the traditional Italian??

Slightly Green said:
Uhhh, why "should" it be in English?
Just for your convenience?
Why not the traditional Italian??

Well I am not saying it should be in English, Its just a good choice thats all. It can be italian or maybe even french

CnC

Ad Oculos
Skullgrin140 said:
lol, sorry about that. What I meant to say was it can be in any language apart from english But sorry about the should part

at the very least, your broad fluctuations in opinion are a never ending source of entertainment, skullgrin.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Something as epic as Berserk would surely require lots of international collaboration, I think. It would be hard to have it in Japanese as a live action film (although I would probably prefer it that way, given the choice) because of the broad range of racial characteristics amongst the cast.

But, bah... who am I kidding? Berserk could never fit within the limits of even a 3 hour movie (if it were to not suck dirt, that is). I'd wish they'd start from scratch with the anime like they're doing with Hellsing, instead. But that's a whole different conversation. :puck:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
jepn30 said:
How about Hebrew?
Because Guts's got chutzpa! :guts:

But for some strange reason, that made me think about Fiddler on the Roof: Berserk style. I can see it now, a line of Daka partaking in some Russian folkdancing. :serpico:

smoke said:
It should be in Japanese. come on folks.

Agreed, I know it's more based around medieval Europe but we have never been given an idea to which European language Berserks dialogue is meant to be of, if any. The ideal choice would naturally be the language of the stories creator, that's what it's used so far, why change it?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
Agreed, I know it's more based around medieval Europe but we have never been given an idea to which European language Berserks dialogue is meant to be of, if any. The ideal choice would naturally be the language of the stories creator, that's what it's used so far, why change it?
Meant to be? Well, you can see Griffith writing a document in what looks like gibberish in volume 6 XD I don't think it has to equate to any of our languages, really... Although, his signature DOES look like it uses a roman alphabet :griff:

Click​

Anyway, Japanese isn't a lovely choice because it's not exactly a romance language... The suggestions for Italian make since. It's a much easier "sung" language. An opera in Japanese.... yuck... I can see it now:

voidsing.gif

SUUUUBEEETEEEEE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA INGA NO
NAAAAAAAAAAAGARE NO NAAAAAAAAAAAKAA NIIII

CnC

Ad Oculos
as long as its not in english I really don't mind what language it is. Mostly because I enjoy opera more when I don't understand the words and just listen to the music.

English opera is distracting, to me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
we have never been given an idea to which European language Berserks dialogue is meant to be of, if any.

From the indications we have it's best to assume the languages in Berserk are all fictional.

Like Walter said, Japanese isnt exactly the most free flowing language to sing. I would want it to be in Italian and you would get a packet that would offer translations if you wanted.

Hey all, as many of you may recall, I am often very critical of most of the suggestions in regards to a Berserk motion picture, however today I have a suggestion myself. Many will not like this idea, but I find at the very least an interesting one to visualize.

Anyway, has anyone seen the trailer for the film Renaissance?
Found here:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/renaissance/trailer1/

As a fan of Miura's work I think that the idea of a Black & White translation of his artwork would be spectacular to see. Just to be clear the character design would not be changed from the manga. With a style such as this, one could maintain the effect of many of Miura's inkings. If done well it would probably be the most visually faithful method to adapt the manga to a film/animation medium.

I understand that most people want to see color films/animation (hell many of us, myself included, love to see colorization of Miura's work), but I think that this is at least an interesting alternative consideration for the imagination of the fans. So any thoughts are welcome including those who wish to assault me for all the attacks I have unleashed.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I find after a while toon shading (what this technique is) becomes distracting. I don't think it would work very well with Miura's hatching.

I was simply referring to this films use of black and white - not the use of 3d models. I guess the simplest way to explain what I was thinking of is an Anime (OVA, etc.), done in Black, White, and Grey.

Top Bottom