Berserk on a motion picture?!?!?

Daniel Day Lewis could be a safe bet - the dedication the guy shows in character portrayal would make a great Guts. A bit old for it though - which I guess is the main problem. Finding someone the right sort of age *with* reasonable acting ability... not an easy challenge.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I think if a movie is ever made of berserk, I think the director should be Ridley Scott with Kentaro Miura as Co director and with Hirasawa Susumu doing the score.

If Berserk were ever a Hollywood film, they'd probably cast the git who played Anakin Skywalker as Guts, get Tarantino to direct it, replace the Dragonslayer with a "more realistic" sword (probably a Katana), throw out most of the storyline to make it more digestable for the average idiot, and make Griffith all butch. And that's assuming they didn't remove him altogether.

And we can't forget, all Hollywood heros with swords dual-wield... hello Guts with two swords.

bastard_swordsman said:
If Berserk were ever a Hollywood film, they'd probably cast the git who played Anakin Skywalker as Guts, get Tarantino to direct it, replace the Dragonslayer with a "more realistic" sword (probably a Katana), throw out most of the storyline to make it more digestable for the average idiot, and make Griffith all butch. And that's assuming they didn't remove him altogether.

And we can't forget, all Hollywood heros with swords dual-wield... hello Guts with two swords.

No, probably not. There would be little point in licencing a relatively unknown property just to completely butcher it. It is not like Manga/anime adaptations are a super hot property (maybe after Battle Angel this will change - if it ever gets made). As for having Tarantino direct (not my first choice by any stretch) you can do alot worse - but it is doubtful that he would want to direct such a film in the first place.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
While I understand being bitter about the state of remakes.
I wouldn't go so far as casting Hayden as Guts (Judo maybe?) Or getting Tarantino to direct. (the man's a genius, but Berserk isn't his cup of tea)

I think if someone was to make the effort to create a Berserk movie, they would have to be VERY passionate about the work to even get the rights. And even more so to do the work of translating to a live action medium.

Much Like Peter Jackson with Lord of the Rings. The entire Opus was a passion.

I too like the idea of Scott directing, btw.

Bringing this line of discussion from another thread, how do people feel about the use of CGI? I suppose my saying that I wouldn't want to see it at all is a bit foolish, as it would be impossible to do otherwise (you got me, Aazealh). Still, I would hate to see it turned into one giant CGI fest, which would probably happen. If WETA were allowed to do it, I would be more lenient, as they did a bang up job with LOTR, but it could also end up being horrible, like the effects in the new Star Wars trilogy, where the entire thing was Hayden in front of a blue/green screen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Bringing this line of discussion from another thread, how do people feel about the use of CGI? I suppose my saying that I wouldn't want to see it at all is a bit foolish, as it would be impossible to do otherwise (you got me, Aazealh). Still, I would hate to see it turned into one giant CGI fest, which would probably happen.

What basically you and I and everybody else would want is a tasteful use of CGI. That's really all there is to it. CGI can do incredible things when it's used wisely, tastefully, and expertly. Of course that's assuming there's a genuine desire for a motion picture in the first place beyond hypothetical discussion, which isn't my case.

You know, all that I really want is a Schnoz Muppet. That, or Warwick Davis in a Schnoz costume of some sort. CGI Schnoz would really be a waste...

Schnoz could be played by a chicken in a costume. It'd be nice and funny, seeing as it'd be confused as hell, and keep falling over or running into stuff. Schnoz always struck me as a clumsy fella. On a quick note, it'd be bloody hard to do the apostle transformations without the use of CGI - they'd inevitably end up rather naff...

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
CGI done right can be more effective than any Muppet, problem is, it's usually done in such a manner as you'd take a Muppet any day.

On a related note, you CAN do an entire film on blue screen and it look spectacular, it just rarely happens. Has anybody seen the most recent trailer for Frank Miller's 300?

You can see it here (please watch in high res):

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/040/040983/vids_1.html

That feels like a much more positive use of CGI then 90% of the films out there (the excellent work in Lord of the Rings excluded of course), even though virtually everything but the actors are CGI.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
You know, all that I really want is a Schnoz Muppet. That, or Warwick Davis in a Schnoz costume of some sort. CGI Schnoz would really be a waste...

I'd buy a Schnoz robot (kind of like Sony's Aibo) if someone manufactured it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I'd buy a Schnoz robot (kind of like Sony's Aibo) if someone manufactured it.
If it rolled on the ground, as if to get elves off his head, then I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom