CnColors

*plugs eyes back in head*
The spirit tree is beautiful, really photorealistic without loosing it's fantasy/manga style/feeling...(at first glance I thought it was 3D, or maybe Painter or a combination of 3D and painting)

The tiger image has some flaws but for a quickie it's pretty good!

The beachscene gives the right atmospheric feeling(the way I felt it while reading the comic, and also watching it now), some nice colors in there too.

Keep on leveling up man, I'll be watching you. Succes on your next piece.
(you really inspire me wanting to paint a berserk piece from scratch in my own style).

:chomp:

:zodd:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
What flaws exactly? I'd be willing to hear a more in-depth critique if you don't mind.

In order to cut down on redundancy, here's the crit I received from Rickert:

[quote author="Rickert"]
Yo Cnc

Something regarding the 'Tiger' piece. I don't know; was just checking you're .PSD-file and thought maybe the light could be a bit stronger(just a little bit more to make the shot a little bit more intensifying/dramatic, while it's the main(only) light source and the most important area of the piece..blalalab (I know you already know this, because of your (very nice) tutorial, but just too clearify things.

Anyways hope you don't mind doing a quick 'paintover'(doesn't even deserve the title :SK:)

tiger.jpg

just an extra light layer over the first ('normal'). And got this one on 'overlay' (I think 'hard light' will give about the same effect. turned the opacity somewhat down. Don't know if you think it's better, but ala.

See you on skeletonknight :guts:
[/quote]

Thanks for the crit.
In the future I'd prefer if people keep the crits of a piece in the thread it was posted in, so that we can all benefit from it.

I've lost my response to the crit, but it was something along the lines of my wanting to not make the candles too overpowering. My hope with the pic was that the eyes would be drawn to the candle, then move to the faces and the eyes of the tiger. I use overlay to affect the mid-tones in the image, and the hard-light would affect the the mid-tones with a harder clamp on the highlights. For lighting I'll usually use normal/screen/color dodge.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fucking sweet. Just about what I expected the scene to look like, in my head too.

And this isn't a critique, just a question as to your choice. But, since the light source is that intense, and that close, wouldn't the shadows be sharper on the Daka's face (i.e. higher contrast) ?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
And this isn't a critique, just a question as to your choice. But, since the light source is that intense, and that close, wouldn't the shadows be sharper on the Daka's face (i.e. higher contrast) ?

Whether it be crit or question, its welcome :) Aaz had some concerns with the beam as well...

Ah, I see what you mean. I suppose it should be a bit sharper. But I didn't want the daka to be too much of a focal point. The mist played a part, too. The beams wouldn't be there if there were no mist, so that implies a certain haze over the lower portion of the scene.
My goals in coloring this were to try and seperate the Daka a bit so they weren't just some red blob at the bottom of the page and create some interesting diagonals leading to the main focal point, Blaze Rod.

If I had more time I'd tweak the beams a bit, but alas... busybusybusy :void:

Seriously; verrry nice. the colorpalet is well chosen. After a short while my eyes got drawn to the below-right direction. I don't know if I like the blur that much (I know what you said about the mist in your last post, but still. Well maybe I'll have to take another look at it..)
So.. well, no real crits. It's a neat piece CnC!

Nice nice!!! Do u have a version maybe without the beam of light or maybe a little towned down version. It's just that my eyes go directly to it. Awesome work tho!!!!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Do u have a version maybe without the beam of light or maybe a little towned down version. It's just that my eyes go directly to it.
Well, I'm joining the alliance in FAVOR of the beam of light. I like it. And it's supported by the fact that there's fog. I'm afraid you can't just pick and choose what you do or do not like about the way light diffuses through fog.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Absolutely amazing work, as always, CnC. I must request that wallpapers be made for my desktop craves this as a centerpiece. :guts: The beam of light looks fine to me, I'm more drawn to Blaze Rod myself.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I added wallpapers as was requested.

I also tweaked the beams slightly (not too much, as I like them too :guts:), but mostly because I forgot to reveal a daka in my lighting layer. oops. thats been fixed.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Very awesome. I was gonna give this a try myself, but I think any attempt will fall short of yours. I'll try it anyway, but that is truly an awesome piece. The beam does bother me a bit, but I just think there should be more rather than one big one.

A quick note as to why some people might be more distracted by it: The western eye views from left to right, top to bottom, while the eastern eye will view things from right to left. This is because of the writing of course, but it veries from individual to individual (I'm quoting my crazy old web design teacher on all this). Starting in the left, it's easy to get quickly drawn to the beam.

Beautiful, perfect for the new desktop backround as always.... and what have we here, you have now bumped me off being the 10th top poster.... well boogies, poos and wees to you mister, almost no complaints. :puck:

Vaxillus said:
A quick note as to why some people might be more distracted by it: The western eye views from left to right, top to bottom, while the eastern eye will view things from right to left. This is because of the writing of course, but it veries from individual to individual (I'm quoting my crazy old web design teacher on all this). Starting in the left, it's easy to get quickly drawn to the beam.

No kidding, I didn't even notice it until my 4th-5th viewing of it.  I thought you guys were talking about some debris or something.  :serpico:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sparnage said:
Beautiful, perfect for the new desktop backround as always.... and what have we here, you have now bumped me off being the 10th top poster.... well boogies, poos and wees to you mister, almost no complaints. :puck:

Hahaha, I had no idea what you were talking about there. I completely forgot there was such a list around.
Thanks for lettin' me know. You're going DOWN SexyCharlotte! Time to spam paintings and colors! muahahahaha!
oh ok, Aaz, I won't spam. party-pooper

yota821 said:
No kidding, I didn't even notice it until my 4th-5th viewing of it. I thought you guys were talking about some debris or something. :serpico:

And here I was about to ask Vax what kind of silly drugs he might be taking to make that assertion. ...And you had to go and prove him right... :guts:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
CnC said:
And here I was about to ask Vax what kind of silly drugs he might be taking to make that assertion.  ...And you had to go and prove him right...  :guts:
Hey, I'm not always wrong, just about 60% if the time. :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Well, I'm joining the alliance in FAVOR of the beam of light. I like it. And it's supported by the fact that there's fog. I'm afraid you can't just pick and choose what you do or do not like about the way light diffuses through fog.

I'm afraid it's not supported by the fact that it's not in the original picture, and that fog doesn't carry light as several different and very distinct beams when it covers everything evenly, light should be diffused by it. The source of this light is also not propitious to creating beams like projectors would as far as I can tell, and I don't think the Daka make big enough obstacles to separate it in rays (and if they were, there would need to be much more visible rays). Anyway it's not much of a deal and I like CnC's treatment of the picture, even though the beams do cover some of the original art. It's not easy to realistically represent light and even less in that kind of picture so... It's my wallpaper since Proj doesn't seem to be interested in finishing the promised coloring. :puck:

CnC said:
Time to spam paintings and colors! muahahahaha! oh ok, Aaz, I won't spam. party-pooper

If you could just spam a bit less that'd already be great. :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Thanks for the crit. I suppose it is covering up some of the original artwork. So are the shadows (which I added feeling the scene needed them to work).
As far as the beam, no, its not in the original. But I felt the scene could use them (I love beams, btw :guts:) because the absence of some form of color visual in that region could help out in an otherwise sea of red. The beam allowed some of the foreground daka to be somewhat backlit, and stand out a bit more.

If you could just spam a bit less that'd already be great. :guts:

I'll think about it. Stay tuned for more Cn-beams everywhere-Colors...

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Excelent work CnC, really amazing. My jaw is on the floor! :guts: I will become one of the many to have this as my background.

I eagerly await the next piece of great work!

Top Bottom