Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter

Skabbius

Rotting Flesh
Street Fighter II is an absolute classic. But I have to bring up how original the characters are.

http://www.geocities.com/denshousha/sf2.html
Not to speak Kenshiro's teacher's name is RyuKen.

A link at the bottom also shows that FotnS was inspired by some american figures.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skabbius said:
A link at the bottom also shows that FotnS was inspired by some american figures.

That's rather anecdotic, if you want to talk about a source of inspiration for Hokuto no Ken you'd be better off naming Mad Max.

Skabbius

Rotting Flesh
Aazealh said:
That's rather anecdotic, if you want to talk about a source of inspiration for Hokuto no Ken you'd be better off naming Mad Max.

There really is not that many similarities between Mad Max and Fist of the North Star. Sure it is post-apocalyptic, but the characters are not that similar. Mad Max had a lot of vehicles. FOTNS did not. Mad Max had no martial arts. FOTNS pretty revolved around it. There is no Street Fighter looking characters in Mad Max.

Boronson said that Mad Max inspired him. But I hardly think that he ripped off it like Capcom did with the characters from FOTNS.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Skabbius said:
Mad Max had a lot of vehicles. FOTNS did not. Mad Max had no martial arts. FOTNS pretty revolved around it. There is no Street Fighter looking characters in Mad Max.

That's some deep analysis. :carcus:

Seriously though, I can't comment on FOTNS as compared to Mad Max, but the above examples are pretty superficial. You can add, subtract, or change such elements from any story without altering it's core. What's been done with Shakespeare's work in film is probably the best example (albeit, not always with the best results =).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skabbius said:
There really is not that many similarities between Mad Max and Fist of the North Star.

Tetsuo Hara & Buronson were inspired by Mad Max to make Hokuto no Ken as you said yourself (Max and Bruce Lee being the inspiration for Kenshiro), and it's not like the page in question shows a lot of similarities to anything either. You lose. :serpico:

Skabbius said:
There is no Street Fighter looking characters in Mad Max.

What's the relation? :schierke: And like I said, the pictures in that link and the possible relations are really anecdotic. I wasn't talking about the SF2 -> HnK thing (which isn't anything new) but the "Sloth from The Goonies and a couple of catchers inspired Hokuto no Ken" one. I just don't think these references with minor characters warrant any specific attention.

Skabbius said:
Boronson said that Mad Max inspired him.

It's Buronson, and Hara was originally influenced by it too, he even based his first personal work on the movie (and called it "Mad Fighter").

Skabbius

Rotting Flesh
I realize that most of Fist of the North star is not original. So basically I should say that Street Fighter II ripped-off a ripp-off manga series. :-/

But I also noticed that in the game, Final Fight, the main guy (forget his name) says the quote from fotns, "You are already Dead" when using his special technique. Famous quote to anyone who has seen the FOTNS movie.

Anyways basically anything martial art related has a Bruce Lee inspiration somewhere. SFII, Dead or Alive, FOTNS, etc... My point is not that FOTNS was original in any sense.

But anyways, this is getting away from the thread's original theme. I thought I would just post that link because I thought it would be fun.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skabbius said:
I realize that most of Fist of the North star is not original. So basically I should say that Street Fighter II ripped-off a ripp-off manga series. :-/

Well I wouldn't go as far as to call Hokuto no Ken a rip-off manga, it just had its inspirations but I think it definitely developed into something unique and original for the time, that in turn inspired many other works. My point was really only about the 3 pictures in that link not being the best examples of its influences. :serpico:

Skabbius said:
But I also noticed that in the game, Final Fight, the main guy (forget his name) says the quote from fotns, "You are already Dead" when using his special technique.

Hehe, actually it's really impossible to count how many times that line has been used, as an homage or just because it's cool. Shows the impact that series had.

Skabbius said:
I thought I would just post that link because I thought it would be fun.

Yeah, it's cool don't worry, but let's end the off-topic as you suggested.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Re: The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate destiny

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=5287.msg108207#msg108207
Sorry dude, someone beat you to it. :badbone:

Hey I found part one to the this video. The Ryu vs Scorpion one was part two. Here's part one, Ken vs Raiden:

http://homepage.mac.com/pockyrevolution/sfmk.html

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Don't know if anyone seen this yet but...http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4511700021036249808

It's ridiculous!

Sorry I put this under the MK vs. SF thread but it has "fighting" in it!

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
dwarfkicker said:
Hey I found part one to the this video. The Ryu vs Scorpion one was part two. Here's part one, Ken vs Raiden:

http://homepage.mac.com/pockyrevolution/sfmk.html

That was pretty good too, but yeah I like the second one better.

handsome rakshas said:
Don't know if anyone seen this yet
but...http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4511700021036249808

It's ridiculous!

Sorry I put this under the MK vs. SF thread but it has "fighting" in it!

Now that was pretty funny. Reminds me of when me and my buddies used to turn in videos for school projects... we always had a fight scene...

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Get Mugen and you can play MK vs SF all you want. :guts:

Then there's MK vs DC Universe which looks decent from the previews.

Top Bottom